The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

U21 launch day load times and how you can help

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Are you telling me that this load screen has to finish, if it takes to a couple hours and I close the game, I will have to wait another couple hours?

that's how i interpreted it...

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's quite a daunting prospect, but I shall strive to be UNDAUNTED in the face of adversity!! Do guild banks affect this at all? Or just personal banks? Does it include housing storage? I anticipate I'll likely be in the "several hours" category either way, but it would be good to know what to start going through and changing around, what slots to free up as a priority, etc. Thanks!
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we have a forum competition over who has the longest load screen?
  • FinneganFroth
    FinneganFroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey I'm all for waiting if it improves the game in the long run!
  • itsfatbass
    itsfatbass
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are add-ons currently installed and configured going to have any impact on this load screen?
    ~PC/NA~ Magblade, Tankanist, Healplar, Stamcro, Oakensorc, Healden, Tanknight ~PLUR~
  • dan958
    dan958
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 16,000 thrones in my bank. Hopefully it doesn't have to scan all those individually!
    Edited by dan958 on February 22, 2019 8:40PM
    @dan958 - PC/EU - Dannuin - Nightblade - Bosmer - CP982 - For the Queen!
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'll be joining the group taking screenshots of everything before Monday. This is a little nerve wracking, and there is no real way for me to downsize anything. I've kept all the things I have for a reason, nothing is really nonsense. Other than all the things I made for trait research on all my alts. But I can get that down a little bit before Monday. Maybe decon the rest just to be safe. Ughhhhhhhh, I don't want to spend all of my life taking inventory of every thing I have anywhere in the game.

Characters, bank, guild bank, storage chests, houses, craft bag. Am I missing anything?
    PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The long loading screens are ZOS' way to funnel people into the servers one by one. This way they won't crash like they do every single time a new update launches. So smart!
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    itsfatbass wrote: »
    Are add-ons currently installed and configured going to have any impact on this load screen?

i had thought about that too...
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »
    I have 16,000 thrones in my bank. Hopefully it doesn't have to scan all those individually!

I'm really hoping it's not affected by the item count of things. My 200k+ alkahest could add hours to my time.
  • CleymenZero
    CleymenZero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorted through the thread quickly but didn't see it.

Will guild bank storage affect load screens or only your personal inventory?
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Obligatory 'Can I have your excess stuff' post.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they say yes, will that lead to a mass exodus from guilds the night before the patch? My guess is that at least a few people would try this.

Due to the guild bank not being tied to any specific player and also this "workaround", my best guess is that guild bank items would not count.
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up Gina!

I'm going to take a couple hours and clean up my inventories, followed by screenshots of all of my stuff (character inventories, bank, storage, etc). That way I've got proof of what I had just in case.
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »
    Obligatory 'Can I have your excess stuff' post.

Do you really want that adding to your load time? ;)
    Edited by TerraDewBerry on February 22, 2019 8:58PM
  • Sabriel7
    Sabriel7
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question. So when I get into unusually long load screens (5 min+) my game will sometimes go back to the login screen with a notice that says I've been logged out due to inactivity. Is there something to prevent that in this update if the loading screen is an hour long to load? I am just worried it's going to turn into a fight between the loading and me constantly getting bumped back to login.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If they say yes, will that lead to a mass exodus from guilds the night before the patch? My guess is that at least a few people would try this.

Due to the guild bank not being tied to any specific player and also this "workaround", my best guess is that guild bank items would not count.

It sounds to me that they're updating or re-keying Account IDs for items in account inventories.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »

It sounds to me that they're updating or re-keying Account IDs for items in account inventories.

They need a faster locksmith. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • kratier
    kratier
    ✭✭✭✭
    your poor optimization excuse isn't blaming the players
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol@ loading screen could be "a couple of hours".

So they are bringing the Cryoland experience to EVERYONE. ha ha
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh gods.. I'm so &^%*... in a nutshell.. this is me (just substitute various stuff for the gold).. :'(

This is going to be a very... very long weekend... I don't know where I'm going to stuff... all my stuff.... halp!!
    Edited by TerraDewBerry on February 22, 2019 9:16PM
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A few minutes to a few hours

Sounds like business as usual to me
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or how about you do this during the literal maintenance? What does my local download have to do with your server database?
  • Pevey
    Pevey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does amount of stuff in the craft bag impact the load time? If so, I am screwed.
  • Rehdaun
    Rehdaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this to ensure that each login remains faithful to established lore?
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

Worked out well with the race balances didn't it?
    Edited by Rehdaun on February 22, 2019 9:15PM
  • Stamination
    Stamination
    ✭✭
    Optimize your game better before you blow my computer up with a 2hr loading screen. I'll give it a go.. but if the game still performs the same, I'm done. You've had enough chances ZOS.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    dan958 wrote: »

I'm really hoping it's not affected by the item count of things. My 200k+ alkahest could add hours to my time.

i just wish that ZOS would revisit here again and respond to some more of the questions that players have posed, so that they could properly prepare, as ZOS specifically recommended that they do...

@ZOS_GinaBruno, whaddya say, Gina?

1 - Will there be a separate first long load on each server, or will the first login on either side address both servers? They are separate inventories as well as collections, so it would be good to know this.

2 - Will presence or absence of addons affect the long loadscreen, especially ones that have anything to do with inventory?

3 - Will you be suspending the inactivity timer? If not, will you at least be marking the spot of disconnection, so that logging back in does not have to start at the beginning again, but instead just pick up where it left off?

4 - Will you be counting each individual item even in stacks, or will stacks be counted as single items? Beyond that, what about the large size stacks in the crafting bag? Some of the older players would certainly have tens of thousands of various items, so would each of those stacks still be counted once, or need to be counted one piece at a time?

Thanks so much, after all, it was you guys who said to us that we should clear out some of our inventories, and some answers to the above would help us make the most of our time before maintenance starts, to do it most efficiently.

• LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Or how about you do this during the literal maintenance? What does my local download have to do with your server database?

Your "local download" doesn't have anything to do with the database.

When you log in, the data migration process for your account is going to get kicked off. Presumably the time it takes will depend on how much data needs to be migrated and your position in the migration queue.

I'm guessing the only alternative to this is a very long server downtime for the update. As in, they take it offline at 4 AM or whatever, and it stays down until literally every account has been migrated.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the long load times every patch anyway, I leave it 5 mins, force quit the game and log back in

As Gina said that wont help this time, if you dont wait, it starts anew to scan all your Items accountwide, just leave it

I wonder if loading into my low level will decrease, since it wont have to count the inv, just bank etc
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that i wont realise about missing itens after that loading.
    Edited by gepe87 on February 22, 2019 9:27PM
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language