Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    So; tried crescent sweep again. Its still not very good. Its cheap; yes. But the problem is you are using it as a burst ultimate and its not a lot of oomph when you use it for that and its chance to hit is still crap especially considering it pulses from you. I think it would be better if it had just a meeter or 2 more reach, and the damage move to all in 1 shot rather than a PBAOE that pulses

Ans speaking of which; our little 2 seconds between tics is kind of annoying in general. I was looking at POTL and PL and in theory both offer something nice, but the 2 seconds before getting a tick of healing in a ground based AOE is pretty much lost in any mobile fight, which is pretty much all of them for me. Maybe this is good for PvE healers with tanks right on top of the bosses? I dont see how as the bosses I see move a lot or are at least pretty big to where getting in that circle might not even happen.

The power of cresant is in the AOE burst pressure. I think it does 1.60 extra dmg each tick, unless I am mistaken.

"Burst pressure" sounds like an oxymoron. It doesnt hit hard enough to be one. Doesnt stay on any target with a pulse enough to be the other. If its trying to be both, thats the problem.

Not an oxymoron. See ccdaddy's post above for use of crescent's strength. Remember that dots that aren't applied to targets can't be purged from that target or reflected. And in the case of crescent, can't be dodged either. with exception of dodging out of the range before the burst hits.

SO while crescent isnt dawn-breaker, it also does something completely different from DB. And if it misses, building up 75 ultimate is cheaper than building up a meteor or soul assault or bats.

Edit:
    and if a target wants to dodge roll out of the AOE area, then crescent technically forced your target to waste stam to avoid dmg. It's really efficient for what it does, which is the templar MO.
    Edited by Minno on January 28, 2019 5:48PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ceruulean
    ceruulean
    ✭✭✭
    Crescent works if you're a melee Templar because people get greedy and don't kite away the shiny light. Also it does nearly the same damage as dawnbreaker but costs way less. Dawnbreaker will help against ww and vampire though, and the stun is useful.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ceruulean wrote: »
    Crescent works if you're a melee Templar because people get greedy and don't kite away the shiny light. Also it does nearly the same damage as dawnbreaker but costs way less. Dawnbreaker will help against ww and vampire though, and the stun is useful.

crescent should be more dmg for the magplar. Scales off penetration/crit.
    it comes down to "do I need an AOE stun or not?" argument.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So; tried crescent sweep again. Its still not very good. Its cheap; yes. But the problem is you are using it as a burst ultimate and its not a lot of oomph when you use it for that and its chance to hit is still crap especially considering it pulses from you. I think it would be better if it had just a meeter or 2 more reach, and the damage move to all in 1 shot rather than a PBAOE that pulses

Ans speaking of which; our little 2 seconds between tics is kind of annoying in general. I was looking at POTL and PL and in theory both offer something nice, but the 2 seconds before getting a tick of healing in a ground based AOE is pretty much lost in any mobile fight, which is pretty much all of them for me. Maybe this is good for PvE healers with tanks right on top of the bosses? I dont see how as the bosses I see move a lot or are at least pretty big to where getting in that circle might not even happen.

The power of cresant is in the AOE burst pressure. I think it does 1.60 extra dmg each tick, unless I am mistaken.

"Burst pressure" sounds like an oxymoron. It doesnt hit hard enough to be one. Doesnt stay on any target with a pulse enough to be the other. If its trying to be both, thats the problem.

Not an oxymoron. See ccdaddy's post above for use of crescent's strength. Remember that dots that aren't applied to targets can't be purged from that target or reflected. And in the case of crescent, can't be dodged either. with exception of dodging out of the range before the burst hits.

SO while crescent isnt dawn-breaker, it also does something completely different from DB. And if it misses, building up 75 ultimate is cheaper than building up a meteor or soul assault or bats.

Edit:
    and if a target wants to dodge roll out of the AOE area, then crescent technically forced your target to waste stam to avoid dmg. It's really efficient for what it does, which is the templar MO.

Im trying it now with solar barrage. Seems to give some more oomph. Just plays differently. Im used to looking to burst with stamplar while this being as cheap as it is, I need to just keep the pressure going
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Edit:

Im trying it now with solar barrage. Seems to give some more oomph. Just plays differently. Im used to looking to burst with stamplar while this being as cheap as it is, I need to just keep the pressure going

Yea different way to play. If you have alot of burst already, take empowering sweeps. Sure it will miss, but the major protection won't ;). Plus is still procs burning light, your main burst tool anyway.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a bug on console where sometimes blazing spear will not fire. I’m not sure if it has been reported. Its maddening when doing parses and it doesn’t go off. Seems to happen more while using purifying light. Maybe purifying light exploding at same time as casting shards. Not sure.
    I’m on xbox. I’ve heard of this in PS as well.
    Edited by carlos424 on February 4, 2019 4:53PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since snares are such a pain point for so many, I will gladly give up the snare on Ritual of Retribution for greater heal over time or damage over time. Preferably both. Magicka Templars need a better heal over time since we lack a selfish self-heal.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me i just dont see the value in rit of ret.

I would like to see the morphs go like this.

Both last same duration and both heal every 1 second. 1 morph cleasnes 5 negative effects. The other morph only cleanses 2 but has damage tics every 1 second which increases by 10% for every second your in it.
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

Both last same duration and both heal every 1 second. 1 morph cleasnes 5 negative effects. The other morph only cleanses 2 but has damage tics every 1 second which increases by 10% for every second your in it.

RoR is just Nightblade repellent and poison cleansing in one. It needs a better HoT or DoT though to be truly worth it. I wish it could remove roots but that will never happen.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »

RoR is just Nightblade repellent and poison cleansing in one. It needs a better HoT or DoT though to be truly worth it. I wish it could remove roots but that will never happen.

It really should stick to your character. No reason to havea 12 second large AOE that punished you to stand in it for tiny heal/DMG while stacking up debuffs like candy.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I've tried Shacklebreaker, I can say that - above all else - I wish RoR could remove snares and roots. Shacklebreaker can only give me one or even two more break frees but my stamina pool is still depleted quickly. If players are continuously rooting and dropping AOE damage, I need to be able to break free and then sprint or dodgeroll out of the way. I can only do that about once. Next time I'll break free but I won't dodge the AOE. And after that I won't even be able break free. Either ZOS has to increase the cost of CCs or give players easier access to root and snare removals. I can't balance having enough magicka for offense, enough health for surviving the high damage of the game, AND stamina to constantly break free from all the CC. I need a break with at least one of these things. It's too many pins to juggle unless I'm using a broken armor set build.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on February 6, 2019 3:29PM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Radiant Destruction just got nerfed? :(
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Huh?
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Huh?

I misheard someone in a youtube video. Never mind.
  • HourEnemy
    HourEnemy
    Soul Shriven
    No Class skill that provides major sorcery or brutality. Simple fix, add it to rune focus... Would be the same as Netch for Warden. It's very restrictive running around in rattlecage just to use skills that I actually want to use and spell power pots are even more restrictive in Pvp.
    Cheers
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HourEnemy wrote: »
    No Class skill that provides major sorcery or brutality. Simple fix, add it to rune focus... Would be the same as Netch for Warden. It's very restrictive running around in rattlecage just to use skills that I actually want to use and spell power pots are even more restrictive in Pvp.
    Cheers

I think it would be better fitted on radiant aura/repentance. We cant stack all our buffs onto one skill
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HourEnemy wrote: »
    Cheers

Bad idea to overload an already strong skill. NO it would not be the same as the netch of wardens, since rune focus provides sustain and major ward and resolve, meanwhile the netch provides sustain and major sorcery/brutality. Adding sorcery to the rune would make it too powerful as a buff skill.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be possible if they add stamina return effect on cleansing ritual and its morphs (or doubling channeled focus' stamina return) and then completely remove/redesign repentance something into highest stat scaling short timed heal over time similar to the dark cloak nowadays? I dont view it as overloading an already powerful ability but just simply freeing up space in skill lines since repentance is mostly a passive skill already. I dont think this change make templar stamina management any better.

Then significantly increase blazing shield value, but cap it at 12k in cyrodiil and around 18k in pve. This would help the skill perform better at 25-50k health range.

Today a 70k health build can get 12k sheild in pvp. With this change that much of shield value should be reachable at 50k. And 9k seems fair for 30k health.

What do you think guys?
    Edited by Soris on February 12, 2019 2:58PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Would it be possible if they add stamina return effect on cleansing ritual and its morphs (or doubling channeled focus' stamina return) and then completely remove/redesign repentance something into highest stat scaling short timed heal over time similar to the dark cloak nowadays? I dont view it as overloading an already powerful ability but just simply freeing up space in skill lines since repentance is mostly a passive skill already. I dont think this change make templar stamina management any better.

Then significantly increase blazing shield value, but cap it at 12k in cyrodiil and around 18k in pve. This would help the skill perform better at 25-50k health range.

Today a 70k health build can get 12k sheild in pvp. With this change that much of shield value should be reachable at 50k. And 9k seems fair for 30k health.

What do you think guys?

I think that sun shield surely needs some help.
    Adding more stamina recovery to the stam focus is too much, so that is a bad idea. But I agree that repentance and restoring aura needs some changes too.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought about this recently as I decided to give my MagDK some love after about 6 months of dumping him in the pits...

There have been many comments that Templars will never get: Major Sorcery/Brutality, Expedition, etc.

All classes have at least ONE skill that gives either Major Sorcery or Brutality (If not both...) EXCEPT Templars! Why is this even a debate for ZOS and the Community?! Most people argue to use entropy. Okay, fair. However, you are now min/maxing bar space on an already simplistic PRE-DEFINED bar setup thanks to ZOS's House design and spreading out passives and skill structures over too many skills.

Expedition is given to DK's through their Chains skill, which is being used more often today in PVP.
    NB's get this AND Major Evasion through Blurr.
    Sorc's get this through Boundless, and minor through Hurricane.
    Wardens get this through Wings.
    ***WHAT THE [snip]...again.

Oh and everyone said that DK's wouldn't get snare removal...added to wings, which reflects nearly infinite projectile skills.

Case and point. Argue about it. Don't care anymore because Templar is in a bad spot no matter what you say. I will be honest and admit that I go full beast mode in BG's with my Stamplar, but still am not too ignorant to admit that the class is weak. You have to make up for the MANY downsides to Templar by either getting way better at the game and playing noobs, or hoping your openents just constantly get lag or mess up on rotation...

Just make these things happen...Not just what I mentioned, but also the things that other community members have given thought on. Some requests are unreasonable. Some requests are not necessarily needed right away. But Templar needs to be completely gutten and redone in the current condition it's in compared to launch.

Jabs should be spammable instant. NOT channel! Let us LA weave. Let us animation cancel. LET US ACTUALLY HIT SOMETHING WITH LESS THAN A 90% MISS CHANCE!!!!!!

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 27, 2022 6:18PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just thought about this recently as I decided to give my MagDK some love after about 6 months of dumping him in the pits...

There have been many comments that Templars will never get: Major Sorcery/Brutality, Expedition, etc.

All classes have at least ONE skill that gives either Major Sorcery or Brutality (If not both...) EXCEPT Templars! Why is this even a debate for ZOS and the Community?! Most people argue to use entropy. Okay, fair. However, you are now min/maxing bar space on an already simplistic PRE-DEFINED bar setup thanks to ZOS's House design and spreading out passives and skill structures over too many skills.

Expedition is given to DK's through their Chains skill, which is being used more often today in PVP.
    ***WHAT THE [snip]...again.

Oh and everyone said that DK's wouldn't get snare removal...added to wings, which reflects nearly infinite projectile skills.

Case and point. Argue about it. Don't care anymore because Templar is in a bad spot no matter what you say. I will be honest and admit that I go full beast mode in BG's with my Stamplar, but still am not too ignorant to admit that the class is weak. You have to make up for the MANY downsides to Templar by either getting way better at the game and playing noobs, or hoping your openents just constantly get lag or mess up on rotation...

Just make these things happen...Not just what I mentioned, but also the things that other community members have given thought on. Some requests are unreasonable. Some requests are not necessarily needed right away. But Templar needs to be completely gutten and redone in the current condition it's in compared to launch.

Jabs should be spammable instant. NOT channel! Let us LA weave. Let us animation cancel. LET US ACTUALLY HIT SOMETHING WITH LESS THAN A 90% MISS CHANCE!!!!!!

They should give back the execute mechanic back to sweeps/jabs. This way it will show new players that if you want to commit to jabs spam, make sure it's in execute range otherwise it's just AOE pressure skill.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 27, 2022 6:18PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Gnortranermara
    Gnortranermara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to say thank you to the class reps.

Really, good job guys.

Templar is very satisfying to play right now. Utility is better and our damage has been much improved, bringing us to the upper-middle of the pack. My only remaining issues at the moment are utility related.

1. Sun Fire - Major Prophecy is still an awful buff to receive from this skill since we get it from Inner Light. Major Sorcery would be a massive improvement, since this will not affect total DPS because PvE'ers already run Sorcery pots. Rather than a power buff, it'll just save Templars some the extra gold and mats. Other options include Minor Force, Minor Berserk, or Minor Heroism. Anything is better than Major Prophecy. (Even for those not running Inner Light, getting a different buff doesn't hurt them. Any of these other buffs would be just as good as Prophecy for them, while eliminating redundancy everyone else.)

2. Radiant Aura - This skill needs a huge cost reduction, or a total rework. It's completely useless as-is.

3. Sun Shield - Might as well bring this skill up to 40% health to match the other wards, otherwise it'll never see any use.

4. Rushed Ceremony - This really needs a morph that always self-heals. I'm hesitant to slot this skill at all in PvP because all my attempted self-heals get eaten up by someone else.

5. Aurora Javelin - This skill needs something to make it more comparable to Master Destructive Touch, otherwise it's useless.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Sun Fire - Major Prophecy is still an awful buff to receive from this skill since we get it from Inner Light. Major Sorcery would be a massive improvement, since this will not affect total DPS because PvE'ers already run Sorcery pots. Rather than a power buff, it'll just save Templars some the extra gold and mats. Other options include Minor Force, Minor Berserk, or Minor Heroism. Anything is better than Major Prophecy. (Even for those not running Inner Light, getting a different buff doesn't hurt them. Any of these other buffs would be just as good as Prophecy for them, while eliminating redundancy everyone else.)
    Sun Fire's Major Prophecy is a godsend for PvP because most PvP builds don't have room in their bars for Inner Light. And I would hate to see it be replaced with any other buff because crit dmg is one of magplar's strengths.

Also, Sun Fire is a good DPS skill on its own even without any buffs attached, so giving it a unique buff like Minor Force or Minor Heroism would be too much IMO. Magplar doesn't really need any help in the DPS department right now.

I agree with all of your other points tho.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Sun Fire's Major Prophecy is a godsend for PvP because most PvP builds don't have room in their bars for Inner Light. And I would hate to see it be replaced with any other buff because crit dmg is one of magplar's strengths.

Also, Sun Fire is a good DPS skill on its own even without any buffs attached, so giving it a unique buff like Minor Force or Minor Heroism would be too much IMO. Magplar doesn't really need any help in the DPS department right now.

I agree with all of your other points tho.

agreed with the caveat that they need to change vamps bane/reflective light such that the buff is applied when cast instead of "when hit". Currently someone can dodge roll and stop you from gaining crit chance. It happens so much to me, that I use crit pots.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could make a change to Vampire's Bane, it would be to make it last only 6 seconds instead of 9 seconds. It just doesn't hit hard enough. I swapped Dark Flare for Solar Barrage but now I miss having a big gun from range.
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

***WHAT THE FFFF...again.

They should give back the execute mechanic back to sweeps/jabs. This way it will show new players that if you want to commit to jabs spam, make sure it's in execute range otherwise it's just AOE pressure skill.
    Unless that was a thing in the first year before the game came out on console I believe you're mistaken. I've been a Templar main since 1 week after console release and as far as I remember sweeps used to have a knock back on the last jab (now a snare) but never had an execute component to it.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

Unless that was a thing in the first year before the game came out on console I believe you're mistaken. I've been a Templar main since 1 week after console release and as far as I remember sweeps used to have a knock back on the last jab (now a snare) but never had an execute component to it.

jabs used to be magic. it used to scale up in crit rate the lower your target was in health. you can see the stats on this site, http://tamrieljournal.com/classes/templar/
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could make a change to Vampire's Bane, it would be to make it last only 6 seconds instead of 9 seconds. It just doesn't hit hard enough. I swapped Dark Flare for Solar Barrage but now I miss having a big gun from range.

Reflective light is 6 seconds and hits up to three targets. Does a sneaky good amount of damage when spammed into groups of enemy players. I can quickly get 10+ people ticking between 1-2.5K per second and the three being hit by the initial damage every time I cast are taking 4K+ per second from it. I'm not really a PvE'er but I believe Vampire's Bane's 9 seconds is most useful for that side of the game as it makes it easier to work into a rotation. Still I agree it doesn't hit all that hard compared to some of the other single target dots, I'd love to see it work like Venomous Claw with the damage amping up the longer it goes to give it a bit more ummpphh.
    Edited by itscompton on February 13, 2019 1:28PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    itscompton wrote: »

jabs used to be magic. it used to scale up in crit rate the lower your target was in health. you can see the stats on this site, http://tamrieljournal.com/classes/templar/

Yup and stamplar had to use a spamable weapon skill lol
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, I've never killed anyone with Vampire's Bane. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth using in PVP.