The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Is,,exit lag''allowed in eso?

Sendrik
Sendrik
✭✭✭
Not sure if this is the correct place to discuss this,if not,i appologize.

I thought about getting exit lag(software that is supposed to get you a better ping)for a different game.The devs of that game said,its allowed and you wont get banned for using it,even encouraged people to use it,because they only got 1 server for american players and EU players would get a bad ping.

But what about eso?
Is is allowed?
Im not bypassing a ip block,cheating or anything,just lowering my ping.
If its not allowed,will it be safe to just close exit lag after im done playing another game,and go back to eso,or will eso detect it anyway?
Does anyone here use exit lag who can tell me if its legit or not?
I want to make sure its really allowed before i start using it.
A wanderers way never ends.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like nothing more than an optimized vpn for games to me so it shouldn't violate the terms of service.
  • codestripper
    codestripper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It even officially supports ESO on their site, and I've seen many people use programs like this. In no way would this violate any TOS. This does not interact with the game itself at all, It just routes you closer to ESO's servers for ping reduction.
    Since everyone seems to be doing this,
    DPS Builds:
    - Magicka Sorcerer (Pet) [Flawless Conqueror @ 565CP] - 582k
    - Magicka Nightblade [Flawless Conqueror @ 780CP] - 575k
    - Stamina Sorcerer [Flawless Conqueror @ 420CP] - 560k
    - Magicka Classless [Flawless Conqueror @ 810CP] - 540k
    - Magicka Templar [Stormproof] - 550k
    - Magicka Warden [Stormproof] - 510k
    - Stamina Templar [In Development]
    - Stamina DK [In Development]
    - Stamina NB [Under 50]
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn't use it.

Just because I do not see how the technical aspects should work. But I have to admit that I did not really go through the details.

But I think the following quotes are a bit strange:
    Q: What is ExitLag for?

ExitLag is a software developed for players by players that optimizes your connection making it stable, decreasing your ping and freeing you from the feared freezes or spikes. Besides optimizing your connection, ExitLag amplifies the performance of your game increasing the frames per second rate with the FPS Boost tool, giving you the best resources for you to take the lead.

Make a connection stable. Well, if your Internet sucks or your ISP or the ISP of the server has an issue, this very likely won't help at all. How should it?

Yeah... okay they have a FPS Boost tool. Sure... I mean graphic card vendors and game developers aren't interested in such optimizations and wouldn't implement it in the game or driver. Some company, I personally never heard of, has the solution. Awesome.
    The choice of professional players when the subject is lag removal, improve FPS and generate stability. ExitLag has an innovative multi-path system that allows multiple simultaneous connections to your game servers in different countries

Here I'd like to see the technical details on their innovative multi-path system. When it is about routing AS / BGP comes to my mind. Where routing between AS is handled. I just simply doubt that they have any real influence on that.

Furthermore, what will be routed? Only the Game Traffic or everything on your Machine? This might be a privacy / security issue.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, I have no idea who they are or how their technology "works". I simply have doubts here and would be careful. In the end it is your choice if your want to trust them or not.
    Edited by InvitationNotFound on January 24, 2019 4:34PM
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the thing. You have an internet connection. It has x amount of lag. Anything you add to it will increase that lag.

The only time a VPN will help you is if your ISP has some goofy routing scheme from their internet drain and the VPN can provide a better route. Now, as a user, your not really equipped to determine the best route due ICMP being selectively responded to by core devices (Juniper routers by default will ignore ICMP, which are your PINGs and Traceroutes) so your not really able to figure this out.

If you want to tweak your internet for most game performance, just set up Port Triggering on your router and allow the game on your antivirus and windows firewall. And, if your behind a router or hardware firewall, you can disable the windows one and turn off real time scans on the AV. Just leave the email scan part running.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @InvitationNotFound

Your right in that an end user has no influence on how a packet is routed.

Some larger companies can set up a private layer 3 network, running over a mesh layer 2 network and influence routing, but they are in their own cloud.

There are some L3 VPN offerings out there that can allow selective routing, but only through established nodes with the cooperation of the ISPs involved. And this flexibility would not extend to end users as the routing tables would become so large with all the custom routes that any gains from route optimization would be nuetered.

BTW, my day job is designing and implimenting the very networks I described above nationally in the US.
    Edited by Nestor on January 24, 2019 5:20PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Here is the thing. You have an internet connection. It has x amount of lag. Anything you add to it will increase that lag.

The only time a VPN will help you is if your ISP has some goofy routing scheme from their internet drain and the VPN can provide a better route.

Well it doesn't have to be your ISP. It could be on the route. So my point is here how their service should figure this out. It sounds to me like potential overhead. Or well, with a lot of nodes and so on and measuring times maybe. Anyway, in a normal scenario i doubt there is a real benefit (compared to the potential risks).

And here is where I would want more information as a (potential) customer.
    Now, as a user, your not really equipped to determine the best route due ICMP being selectively responded to by core devices (Juniper routers by default will ignore ICMP, which are your PINGs and Traceroutes) so your not really able to figure this out.

Besides the issue of figuring out the way, my main issue here would be how to use that route. Might have forgotten something, but I'm not aware on how you would want to achieve this as a user.

A side note to the Juniper thing: traceroute on Unix should use UDP by default and not ICMP if I can remember correctly. Anyway, that shouldn't make a difference and might have the same effect.
    If you want to tweak your internet for most game performance, just set up Port Triggering on your router and allow the game on your antivirus and windows firewall. And, if your behind a router or hardware firewall, you can disable the windows one and turn off real time scans on the AV. Just leave the email scan part running.

I personally do not like poking holes into firewalls. Could you please explain which benefit you see in a server being able to open a connection to your machine in the particular case? (not some generalization for protocols like FTP)
    @InvitationNotFound

Your right in that an end user has no influence on how a packet is routed.

Some larger companies can set up a private layer 3 network, running over a mesh layer 2 network and influence routing, but they are in their own cloud.

There are some L3 VPN offerings out there that can allow selective routing, but only through established nodes with the cooperation of the ISPs involved. And this flexibility would not extend to end users as the routing tables would become so large with all the custom routes that any gains from route optimization would be nuetered.

BTW, my day job is designing and implimenting the very networks I described above nationally in the US.

Okay. I guess we're on the same side here more or less. At least i see nothing that contradicts my doubts about this service. Or did I miss something?
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR