Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Combat Update in U21 - A New Approach

• JRsoFly_123
    JRsoFly_123
    Soul Shriven
    Combat Update 21 looks very promising and I'm very intrigued about what kind of changes could shake up the dynamic of the game. However, I want to mention that alot of mistakes in balance changes by the developers focus on debuffing things but no compensation for it when it's needed.

What I believe needs to be done with race balancing is buffing other races to unique and powerful in their on way than lets say debuffing redguards or argonians. I don't think in particular mag dps need alot of tweaking in race selection and seem balanced for the most part, but something to throw up the dynamic couldn't hurt.

Other than combat changes, in consideration to future updates I believe the reward system of many things need to be looked after in ESO. There's two ways I seen MMOs lifespans been increase...putting more items and content players want and tweaking RNG to be horrendous.

ESO have both with one piece of item having multiple combinations. Then there's motifs, furnishings and other things that are often based on pure RNG. I believe the RNG need to be tweaked to help players eventually get what they do not have or there needs to be a different option with consistency.

For example, the gold vendor in cyrodill is good at combating this but it is based on gold and alliance points. I think there needs to be less things that take gold and more things based on dedicated behavior such as the event tickets.
    Edited by JRsoFly_123 on December 15, 2018 6:52AM
  • Epicasballs
    Epicasballs
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RobGarrett

I appreciate the open line of communication but messing with racial passives should not be taken lightly. I don't think I have a single character I haven't race changed... some multiple times. Nerfing gear is one thing but people spend real money selecting new races to adapt to changes in the game. If I have to feel like I need to race change all my characters again all at once to be relevant through no fault of my own it might be time to uninstall.

Don't screw us. For the love of God do this right or not at all. Don't make me feel like I have wasted 100's of dollars. Some people have invested a lot of money into race selections so it's not something to approach with the sledge hammer taken to skills and classes y'all enjoy using when making changes.
    Edited by Epicasballs on December 17, 2018 2:35AM
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest the racial passives should be something like

Select one off
    Tier 1 mag stam or health increase 10%
    Tier 2 mag stam or health regen 10%
    Tier 3 dd tank or healer focus buff but unique to that race

But what they should be doing is changing the main racial passives for example

Nord, 2 handed experience needs to be changed to reduce cost and increase damage of 2 handed skills by like 3%

As it stands now once you get 2 handed to level 50 this passive does nothing

Same goes for the other races

Dark elf, dual wield should be reduce cost and damage increase of dual wield skills

Imperial, s&b
    High elf, destruction staff
    So on

It’s up for debate on the races that don’t have skill lines in their passives but argonians swimming passive is a little useless once you have a mount

But you will notice I said increase to skills only in the skill lines, that way you don’t get dark elf magblade dual wielding getting a damage increase

Just my take on things and I honestly haven’t read the last 14 pages of this thread to see if anyone else has suggested this

But to be honest as well I like the imperial stats as they are just the s&b needs to be more of an active passive
    Edited by macsmooth on December 17, 2018 10:23AM
  • Myconos
    Myconos
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see all the racial passives that proc off of melee abilities (red diamond, swift warrior, and adrenaline rush) interact consistently with melee abilities. Burning light procs count as melee regardless of whether the ability that triggered them was ranged or melee, but only one of the twin hits of twin slashes counts as melee. Riposte champion passive seems to count as melee, but will proc on enemies like bosses that are far away and using ranged attacks sometimes. Most melee magicka and ultimate skills don't count as melee, but you can't tell from tooltips which ones sometimes count as melee. Blade cloak and jabs count as melee but most other stamina dots/channels don't count. I think with the racial rebalancing, it would be a good time to look at what counts as melee and make it more consistent and clear, and readjust those three racial passives based on what is now considered melee.
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    when this goes horrible wrong is there a way we can do a vote of no confidence?
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    when this goes horrible wrong is there a way we can do a vote of no confidence?

I think that’s only a UK thing when they need to write a letter to show their displeasure or if you support that idiot in labour

The Americans hire women to sleep with their politicians and then sell their story to the media, oh wait

Zos are going to screw this next update up they confirmed that by just telling us they are going to do it

So the Americans better get ready for the fake news, the English better get their pens and paper out and the Europeans will laugh and go why why, the French will hold riots with their disgust at these next updates
    Edited by macsmooth on December 18, 2018 8:56AM
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Months are passing since this Thread posted,

ZOS, @ZOS_GinaBruno should give more details.
  • Kinnahz
    Kinnahz
    ✭✭✭

Lol, One month has passed... Settle down tiger
    Xbox Gamertag: KINNAHZ
    vHRC HM, vAA HM, vSO HM, vMoL HM, vHoF HM, vAS+2, vCR+3, EoF, SoTN, Oax HM, Lyl & Tur HM vDSA, Unchained, Flawless, Spirit Slayer
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinnahz wrote: »

Lol, One month has passed... Settle down tiger

Give it time... :smiley:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We probably wont hear anything til after New Years, I am sure ZOS is going on Holidays starting this week and most wont return until after New Years.

Probably the only people who will come in during the Holiday's are the server maintenance teams and only to check.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    We probably wont hear anything til after New Years, I am sure ZOS is going on Holidays starting this week and most wont return until after New Years.

Probably the only people who will come in during the Holiday's are the server maintenance teams and only to check.

I hope they have a good holiday. I was hoping for an update on this before the end of the year, but maybe it will be part of Firor's expected end-of-year address.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Separate PvE from PvP and quit nerfing, please................................
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »
    Separate PvE from PvP and quit nerfing, please................................

NO

If you play both then having separate mechanics for each is [not PC words]
    Edited by Maura_Neysa on December 19, 2018 7:50PM
    Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they have a good holiday. I was hoping for an update on this before the end of the year, but maybe it will be part of Firor's expected end-of-year address.

Rich posted the end of year review. I think they are slowly hyping up and promise update for early next year (since it's the 5th year ani).

Enjoy the break!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Rich posted the end of year review. I think they are slowly hyping up and promise update for early next year (since it's the 5th year ani).

Enjoy the break!

Yeah, Lambert posted that a day after I said that. He was watching. Waiting. I know it! :frowning:

:smiley:

Nice that he was the one who wrote that, but it does make me wonder what ever happened to Firor.

Also, I need an annual update on the number of mudcrabs that have been killed. :smile:
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello ZOS, and their developer team. I do not often write here on the forums more than usually read them. However, this ‘New Approach’ thread inspire me to write some feedback. I have played ESO since launch and through all the progressive changes. I hope both ZOS and developers understands what I’m trying to discuss, in context to the long-term content durability and balancing game-play. This game has years remaining in its life cycle, and I would enjoy seeing ZOS introduce more class options, identifiable races with their passives, and streamlining logic computation models on both magic and stamina skill over the life span of the game (enabling the creation of future classes with refined logic computations paired with distinct graphic animations for new flare and flavor to the game world.)

WYSIWYG Champion Points
    Would ZOS be reviewing the hidden passive +%resource pools (health/stamina/magic) granted by the champion point with the upcoming balancing changes? The champion point system should be exactly WYSIWYG (“What You See, Is What You Get”) in terms of the passive bonuses received. For long-term balance, it may be within ZOS/developers interest to consider removing this “double-dip” benefit and alternatively integrate the +%resource pool into separate nodes within the associated mundus stone e.g. Lord, Tower, and Mage or Atronach? This direction may provide ZOS/developers more ground on controlling the variables in the logic compilations of the game.

I feel the champion point system should be autonomous to gear item level and without hidden passive +%resource pool bonuses. It should remain distinct with clear WYSIWYG bonuses. Eventually, those hidden passives will need to be addressed to restack the combat system to gain control of the variable coefficients. While players might complain about the decrease in their maximum primary stat; however, I feel the change would be for the long-term benefit.

Rebalancing End-Game Gear
    Would ZOS be reviewing the champion point “double-dip” from item levels? Why should any new player be denied end-game gear until they’ve earned CP160? For long-term balance consideration, it may be within ZOS/developers interest to consider changing end-game gear item level to 50 CP10. This change will rescale the attribute values of the armor resistances and set bonuses and serve as a “soft” stack crunch with the WYSIWYG champion point system. Under the current model, there are player character builds that exceed 50k+ DPS versus PVE content. I congratulate those players on their character build’s performance, yet this foreshadows consideration for an upcoming stack crunch.

Last comment on this subject, please do not go down World of Warcraft’s design blunder by turning the game into an item level gear grind; character gear should only enhance the player character’s play style versus deciding whether the character’s access to item level is competitive enough to participate in game content i.e. impartial preference against accounts with less than CP160. ESO transitioned past the old veteran rank system where players were able to have their veteran gear levels, it’s time to balance and separate champion point level from the end-game gear.

Racial Balance Changes
    The experience bonus to the associated weapon or armor style is outdated and mute, in context to the benefits received. Here are some possible suggestions:

Nord (change Frost Resistance to Lightning Resistance and immunity to concussion status effects) This would reinforce the Nords resiliency, as fierce warriors. This would be like the Dark Elf and Wood Elf’s resistances and status immunity.

Imperials (replace Red Diamond with Physical Resistance and reduced stamina cost to Break Outs. Their a sturdy race, as the +% Stamina and Health implies.

Races should still provide some racial distinction to stamina or magic-based class builds. Perhaps, how each race manages resources e.g. High Elves having incredible parallel magic recovery to the Wood Elf’s stamina recovery. Or, Breton having -% all skill cost reduction versus only magic skills. The Tamriel One racial automatic food/drink/inspiration/gold/etc. bonus were awful and never really impacted my game play. World of Warcraft made races cosmetic and minimized their passive benefits on certain character class choices, and hopefully, this development decision will not be repeated in Elder Scrolls Online.

It would be cool to see more racial identity come out in the racial passives. Elder Scrolls possesses a rich history of story, content, and background. Identity over mechanical benefits, for the sake of giving them game mechanic benefits; IF, done well will have both identity and balanced game mechanic benefits.

IF, reducing +%resource pools or damage, in context to magic and elemental damage, then what in-game mechanic would also distinguish the race? You may conjecture many possible options here, so I hope ZOS/developers accomplish a well-balanced option that distinguishes each race with their own identity.

Thank you for taking the time to read my feedback while you are discussing future changes to improve the game.
    Edited by Sahidom on December 20, 2018 12:45PM
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    The issue right now is lack of need of healer roles in dlc dungeons.

That’s still ongoing since many years.

My take on this is a little different. There are groups that can run 3 dps and a tank and because they are all very hard hitters they can skip or obliterate mechanics without the need of a healer. The average group still dramatically benefits from a decent healer and a lot of content becomes more accessible to lesser skilled players when running with a healer as the burden of survivability it more distributed.

A big problem for me in Murkmire was that a lot of these nerfs were aimed at leveling out or weakening the top end players as a means to create a desire for a varied class set ups and role inclusion but the sweeping changes hurt the average player significantly. While I understand that lowering survivability and sustain was meant to make healers more viable in dungeons the really good players already figured out how to get almost back to where they were while the average player now dies a lot more and struggles to hit as hard as they prior to the update.

I don't want to see racial changes cause the same damage that Murkmire did and I hope that every race sees equal or better game play when the changes are made.
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    EVERY PEOPLE WHO ARE JEALOUS EITHER a HIGH ELF, REDGUARD, ARGONIAN, DARK ELF
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    IonicKai wrote: »
    Mureel wrote: »
    The issue right now is lack of need of healer roles in dlc dungeons.

That’s still ongoing since many years.

My take on this is a little different. There are groups that can run 3 dps and a tank and because they are all very hard hitters they can skip or obliterate mechanics without the need of a healer. The average group still dramatically benefits from a decent healer and a lot of content becomes more accessible to lesser skilled players when running with a healer as the burden of survivability it more distributed.

A big problem for me in Murkmire was that a lot of these nerfs were aimed at leveling out or weakening the top end players as a means to create a desire for a varied class set ups and role inclusion but the sweeping changes hurt the average player significantly. While I understand that lowering survivability and sustain was meant to make healers more viable in dungeons the really good players already figured out how to get almost back to where they were while the average player now dies a lot more and struggles to hit as hard as they prior to the update.

I don't want to see racial changes cause the same damage that Murkmire did and I hope that every race sees equal or better game play when the changes are made.

I understand your take there. i have a characters that were built to hit hard or continual damage output without the need for a devoted healer in the group. My stamina Sorcerer is a prime example, however the same could be said about other classes when you take advantage of their self-healing skills. You could contribute this to many factors that originated from the increasing champion point passive bonuses to the scaling system from Tamriel One. In truth, I thought the developers did good with Moon Hunter Keep. It's the one group dungeon where you need a tank in the group. Falkreath Hold dungeon came close with the Minotaur combat mechanics; but you can still circumvent their mechanics with sufficient DPS output.

Honestly, when most magic-based characters can summon up extra health i.e. damage shields, and layer them up to soak damage than why not. That's what damage shields are effectively - extra health that costs magic, renewable on demand limited only by the player character's recovery rate. The developers could have addressed shield stacking and their over performance by negating recovery (just like blocking with stamina but for magicka) for the duration of the damage shield effect; but eh they went another direction. Past updates enhanced the self-healing options for each class. And, Champion points further augmented healing and/or alternative damage mitigation options that also minimized the apparent need for healers running group content.

A more versed group of average players will be able to run content without healer or tank. I.e. a healer option, if it makes you feel better than please invite one to the group. Unfortunately, the tank is also optional role since a good running group of DPS will usually out damage most delve/dungeon mechanics while any AOE damage simply slay the fight adds quickly. This is how the game evolved when you use item sets in an attempt to balance classes or counter-play over performing skills. Sad to say, but that is Elder Scrolls Online today.

The average player you seemly describe has not yet intuitively learned the ESO AI mechanics, boss fight mechanics (including breaking points where you can push and skip mechanics), how class and weapon synergy together or how one, over another, offers better return on investment, or how building damage rotation will improve their performance slaying mobs efficiently while not being tapped out on magic or stamina. All of this will come with game play and learning the game, and eventually all players will reach this point. But, you do make a valid point and foreshadows where ZOS, and the developer's team, needs to review and realign the current state of the combat mechanics, combat damage and mitigation calculations, and balance class skills, as the climate of the passive benefits from champions will continually turn variable variance into constant values.

I would like to see the races receive some identity but I do agree, it would be bad should the racial changes cause damage to the game play of the characters. If their dramatic, it would be nice to offer massive discount on race change token.
    Edited by Sahidom on December 20, 2018 8:43PM
  • IonicKai
    IonicKai
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sahidom wrote: »

I understand your take there. i have a characters that were built to hit hard or continual damage output without the need for a devoted healer in the group. My stamina Sorcerer is a prime example, however the same could be said about other classes when you take advantage of their self-healing skills. You could contribute this to many factors that originated from the increasing champion point passive bonuses to the scaling system from Tamriel One. In truth, I thought the developers did good with Moon Hunter Keep. It's the one group dungeon where you need a tank in the group. Falkreath Hold dungeon came close with the Minotaur combat mechanics; but you can still circumvent their mechanics with sufficient DPS output.

Honestly, when most magic-based characters can summon up extra health i.e. damage shields, and layer them up to soak damage than why not. That's what damage shields are effectively - extra health that costs magic, renewable on demand limited only by the player character's recovery rate. The developers could have addressed shield stacking and their over performance by negating recovery (just like blocking with stamina but for magicka) for the duration of the damage shield effect; but eh they went another direction. Past updates enhanced the self-healing options for each class. And, Champion points further augmented healing and/or alternative damage mitigation options that also minimized the apparent need for healers running group content.

A more versed group of average players will be able to run content without healer or tank. I.e. a healer option, if it makes you feel better than please invite one to the group. Unfortunately, the tank is also optional role since a good running group of DPS will usually out damage most delve/dungeon mechanics while any AOE damage simply slay the fight adds quickly. This is how the game evolved when you use item sets in an attempt to balance classes or counter-play over performing skills. Sad to say, but that is Elder Scrolls Online today.

The average player you seemly describe has not yet intuitively learned the ESO AI mechanics, boss fight mechanics (including breaking points where you can push and skip mechanics), how class and weapon synergy together or how one, over another, offers better return on investment, or how building damage rotation will improve their performance slaying mobs efficiently while not being tapped out on magic or stamina. All of this will come with game play and learning the game, and eventually all players will reach this point. But, you do make a valid point and foreshadows where ZOS, and the developer's team, needs to review and realign the current state of the combat mechanics, combat damage and mitigation calculations, and balance class skills, as the climate of the passive benefits from champions will continually turn variable variance into constant values.

I would like to see the races receive some identity but I do agree, it would be bad should the racial changes cause damage to the game play of the characters. If their dramatic, it would be nice to offer massive discount on race change token.

I agree on a lot of your points! I will say one thing you miss without a tank is proper crowd control which can skyrocket group damage and make dungeons go a lot smoother.

I also want to clarify that by more average player I mean those hitting around 30k in a solo parse. These are people who may often understand general combat mechanics and can often learn dungeon mechanics just fine but struggle due to how tight and perfect rotations really need to be to hit significantly north of those numbers or who suffer from sustain issues due to how unforgiving the games sustain is when trying to output high damage.

I have to say post Murkmire shields are actually quite weak when it comes to taking sustained damage now (they are actually larger shields in PvP then PvE now which I think is dumb). They were maybe a bit overpowered but they certainly were not free especially if repeatedly casted it during tough fights such as in Maelstrom arena. Currently they will save you from a big hit or slow ticking damage but really underperform in consistent damage situations. I think changes like this really hurt most people's chances of beating vMA and force them to either give up in frustration or become a significantly higher end player which will always be out of reach for a lot of players.

I think they would have been better served to give larger PvE shields set at maybe 60% and 80% of max health instead of 40% and 50% and they really didn't need to add resistance in front. The direction they choose is a hinderence to high DPS for mag since they really need to stack their max magicka and don't have room to sacrifice a bunch of it for health or they will fall even further behind stam DPS in terms of damage potential.

I do think they should take away stacking annulment and conjured ward. PvP sorcs can do this to become tougher to kill than some PvP tanks and just bide there time before bursting a player down with a high end attack combo. The percentages are fine for PvP although they have introduced a new issue by allowing resistance in front of the shield but simply taking away shield stacking should balance that.

I would like to see ZOS focus more on performance of the game especially on consoles instead of constantly changing combat balance. It has gone from buttery smooth to such a lag fest that you cannot cast abilities or get stuck repeatedly casting the same ability or unable to bar swap. If ZOS wants it be about player capability then we cannot be stuck hoping that we don't have an untimely lag spike preventing us from casting abilities that can save our life or finish that mechanic.

• WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the heavy handed nerfs. No one likes getting weaker over time. There's an argument to be made for accepting some changes in the name of balance, but the constant nerf train has really dampened both my enthusiasm and that of plenty of people I know.

Would rather deal with Argonians being a little overpowered and not having to eat a massive nerf on most of my characters. I only have one Argonian but have absolutely no faith that even average or underperforming races won't get hit hard. Pretty much the only safe race is Nord. Guess we can all expect a slight buff to Nord and nerfs to all other races basically.

"We reduced the stamina regen of Bosmer to 10% to keep it in line with other races."

I'm legit scared for this next patch, the mobility nerf already hurt and now my builds have to worry about getting weaker yet again?
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the heavy handed nerfs. No one likes getting weaker over time. There's an argument to be made for accepting some changes in the name of balance, but the constant nerf train has really dampened both my enthusiasm and that of plenty of people I know.

Would rather deal with Argonians being a little overpowered and not having to eat a massive nerf on most of my characters. I only have one Argonian but have absolutely no faith that even average or underperforming races won't get hit hard. Pretty much the only safe race is Nord. Guess we can all expect a slight buff to Nord and nerfs to all other races basically.

"We reduced the stamina regen of Bosmer to 10% to keep it in line with other races."

I'm legit scared for this next patch, the mobility nerf already hurt and now my builds have to worry about getting weaker yet again?

Yes, I would be too.

I feel these heavy handed nerfs are the byproduct of previous poor decisions in creating performance balance. I say that in context that once you begin down the rabbit hole of using item sets to off-set and counter-play over performing combat mechanics; then developers adversely complicate the mechanic logic computations moving forward, as we’ve received heavy handed changes. There have been some legitimate skill and passive changes; but from an outside developer’s perspective, I sense they struggle to align and adjust all the influential moving parts.

For this reason, I voiced my suggestions here to remove hidden +%resource pools tethered to spending champion points and have the champion point system be WYSIWYG; and re scaling end-game gear item levels down to Level 50 CP10 equivalent. A rough estimate imposes a 8 ~ 10% decrease in the player character’s damage output. However, I do feel most players would accept the incurred back-slide on player character performance; IF, the changes were to create a better environment for the developers to constructively focus on mechanic balance and performance on skills, synergies (class, weapon, item sets, etc.), and the hidden variances. Pragmatically, until ZOS and the developers have a firm handle on those factors, Elder Scrolls Online may not see new class releases beyond Warden, or weapon styles.

That said, I understand why you’d be scared. I halted my subscription in lieu of the upcoming changes. End game for me has been PVP – it’s the one element of the game that offers competitive challenge, whereas, PVE AI mechanics can be circumvented easily and often. Trial groups completing veteran trials within 30-ish minutes, is empirical evidence to this statement. I appreciate what the Cyrodiil consulting teams is trying to bring more strategy into the campaign; yet, they rolled back past update changes and reintroduced new changes.

Honestly, I feel the developers need to seriously rework or review the Battle Spirit system, restrict faction jumping within the same cp/non-cp campaign (at least for the duration of the campaign), conduct a thorough analysis on the veteran champion point system and its under or over performance and tether a scaling balance to the Battle Spirit system, update travel paths to the new outposts from faction home keeps (as well as corner keeps), and constructively connect emperor-ship to campaign performance - not solely based on the player character’s alliance point rank. Tamriel One, and other update changes, brought into existence negative impacts on Cyrodiil climate and game play experience. It was a great update on intent but had catastrophic repercussions in faction play PVP.

In current ESO version, the resistance-based damage mitigation falls behind the damage output curve, which is why damage shields are strong in PVP; extra health on demand backed by fast renewing resource pools. The Fortified Brass item set, crafted in light armor, does decent job mitigating the last update changes where damage is mitigated by resistances before applying damage to the shields. It was long overdue to allow critical damage against damage shields considering 99.9% of the PVE NPC/Mob mechanics don’t cause critical damage to players character. Sorcerers have a strong set of class skills, and you often see in the damage summary: Haunting Curse (a nice, double dip damage skill), CC/damage effect and/or Mage Fury for the landing killing blow. The class does have higher burst potential with Chrystal Frags from a prepared proc of the instant-cast and/or popping an ultimate. Pointing out this commonality was not meant to "QQ" on the class. All the class have their own hard-hitting combos; but they’re not as easy to effectively execute for an average player or easily identifiable for average players to understand.

Returning to the OP, sorry for the digression there.

I secret hope they’ll approach these upcoming changes with assertive insight and purpose to correct current outstanding game play issues. Even with the soft stack crunch mentioned in my other post, I feel those proposed changes would be positive to the game play durability. I agree the players are tired of the hefty nerfs caused by a “gum up” matrix of the game logic pipes with all iterations of changes released. That, or I have an over-simplified perspective to consolidate, clean-up code and variable coefficients, and move forward with a stronger baseline environment for future update changes to combat or game mechanics.

That said, my sympathy goes out to the developer team. Being a software engineer and developer can be a stressful juggling act to satisfy both end-users and the stakeholder interests equally. How they approach these issues will either pave the way for a bright future, or be plagued with constant mechanical logic issues to the Nth degree of spaghetti without some center to objectively move forward from - in which the players would greatly benefit from.
  • JRsoFly_123
    JRsoFly_123
    Soul Shriven
    Sahidom wrote: »
    Hello ZOS, and their developer team. I do not often write here on the forums more than usually read them. However, this ‘New Approach’ thread inspire me to write some feedback. I have played ESO since launch and through all the progressive changes. I hope both ZOS and developers understands what I’m trying to discuss, in context to the long-term content durability and balancing game-play. This game has years remaining in its life cycle, and I would enjoy seeing ZOS introduce more class options, identifiable races with their passives, and streamlining logic computation models on both magic and stamina skill over the life span of the game (enabling the creation of future classes with refined logic computations paired with distinct graphic animations for new flare and flavor to the game world.)

WYSIWYG Champion Points
    Would ZOS be reviewing the hidden passive +%resource pools (health/stamina/magic) granted by the champion point with the upcoming balancing changes? The champion point system should be exactly WYSIWYG (“What You See, Is What You Get”) in terms of the passive bonuses received. For long-term balance, it may be within ZOS/developers interest to consider removing this “double-dip” benefit and alternatively integrate the +%resource pool into separate nodes within the associated mundus stone e.g. Lord, Tower, and Mage or Atronach? This direction may provide ZOS/developers more ground on controlling the variables in the logic compilations of the game.

I feel the champion point system should be autonomous to gear item level and without hidden passive +%resource pool bonuses. It should remain distinct with clear WYSIWYG bonuses. Eventually, those hidden passives will need to be addressed to restack the combat system to gain control of the variable coefficients. While players might complain about the decrease in their maximum primary stat; however, I feel the change would be for the long-term benefit.

Rebalancing End-Game Gear
    Would ZOS be reviewing the champion point “double-dip” from item levels? Why should any new player be denied end-game gear until they’ve earned CP160? For long-term balance consideration, it may be within ZOS/developers interest to consider changing end-game gear item level to 50 CP10. This change will rescale the attribute values of the armor resistances and set bonuses and serve as a “soft” stack crunch with the WYSIWYG champion point system. Under the current model, there are player character builds that exceed 50k+ DPS versus PVE content. I congratulate those players on their character build’s performance, yet this foreshadows consideration for an upcoming stack crunch.

Last comment on this subject, please do not go down World of Warcraft’s design blunder by turning the game into an item level gear grind; character gear should only enhance the player character’s play style versus deciding whether the character’s access to item level is competitive enough to participate in game content i.e. impartial preference against accounts with less than CP160. ESO transitioned past the old veteran rank system where players were able to have their veteran gear levels, it’s time to balance and separate champion point level from the end-game gear.

Racial Balance Changes
    The experience bonus to the associated weapon or armor style is outdated and mute, in context to the benefits received. Here are some possible suggestions:

Nord (change Frost Resistance to Lightning Resistance and immunity to concussion status effects) This would reinforce the Nords resiliency, as fierce warriors. This would be like the Dark Elf and Wood Elf’s resistances and status immunity.

Imperials (replace Red Diamond with Physical Resistance and reduced stamina cost to Break Outs. Their a sturdy race, as the +% Stamina and Health implies.

Races should still provide some racial distinction to stamina or magic-based class builds. Perhaps, how each race manages resources e.g. High Elves having incredible parallel magic recovery to the Wood Elf’s stamina recovery. Or, Breton having -% all skill cost reduction versus only magic skills. The Tamriel One racial automatic food/drink/inspiration/gold/etc. bonus were awful and never really impacted my game play. World of Warcraft made races cosmetic and minimized their passive benefits on certain character class choices, and hopefully, this development decision will not be repeated in Elder Scrolls Online.

It would be cool to see more racial identity come out in the racial passives. Elder Scrolls possesses a rich history of story, content, and background. Identity over mechanical benefits, for the sake of giving them game mechanic benefits; IF, done well will have both identity and balanced game mechanic benefits.

IF, reducing +%resource pools or damage, in context to magic and elemental damage, then what in-game mechanic would also distinguish the race? You may conjecture many possible options here, so I hope ZOS/developers accomplish a well-balanced option that distinguishes each race with their own identity.

Thank you for taking the time to read my feedback while you are discussing future changes to improve the game.

You have some awesome ideas! I'm interested in your suggestion changes for races. I assume that recommendation for nords and concussion is for pvp specifically given that a player is likely to proc concussion on another player than a mob on a player.

Also, I do not agree with your ideas on parallel race passives partially. Perhaps in pratical use but not in stats. Magicka and stamina are different routes in ESO and that difference is what I believe adds more depth to builds. For instance, magicka sustain (at least endgame) is generally better than stamina sustain, focus on light & heavy attacks dmg (from max pools), but have less spell damage to compensate and ofcourse don't have the coveinence if dodge rolling or break-out as easy.

Stamina is the exact opposite with more ability cost but also more ability burst effectiveness such as vigor, wrecking blow etc.

With this, let say having parallels of bosmer and high elf..builds are made more difficult or niche because they do not adhere to the uniqueness of magicka or stamina. Perhaps this would be good for hybrid builds but most builds in this game have already primarily been one stat or the other. Like my high elf warden damage tank don't need more recovery like a wood elf but it would it would need the normal damage passive it already has enabled.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to create new Characters but will not do till more details comes out.

Common ZOS, provide more details on racial passives.
  • Sascha
    Sascha
    ✭✭
    I really hope you will looks at balancing passives for races, especially in pvp. As it stands there are too many 'Master Races' for any role on magicka or stamina, where one races passives far outweigh the others in competitive play.

PvP orc is a prime example, having max stam, outright melee damage, speed, healing received, AND health regen. Khajiit on the other hand gets pigeon holed into nightblade, as it's the only class that really benefits from the stealth passive, and our crit chance bonus is far less useful because of high base crit % in CP and the widespread use of the impenetrable trait.

I read a few comments above about how racials should be balanced so that any race can do any role at least decently. And I agree. I think either making it so that your choice of preferred race doesn't gimp your effectiveness, or just making racials far less important would be amazing. ESO is very much focused on immersion and roleplay after all.

• IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am actually getting really anxious to see the race changes that its becoming annoying waiting lol
  • Dashmatt
    Dashmatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like my Nord passives. I hope that whatever happens, we are given the option to keep our characters the way they are.
  • xan4silkb14_ESO
    xan4silkb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dashmatt wrote: »
    I like my Nord passives. I hope that whatever happens, we are given the option to keep our characters the way they are.

Probably not. They'll mess with the passives and that will change the character you've taken the time to build and like.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kinnahz wrote: »
    Everyone get ready for nerfs to Redguard, Argonian and Dunmers. Start saving your crowns for race change tokens.

You mean redguard argonian and ALTMERS
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • antihero727
    antihero727
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Racial balancing in ZOS’s vision is just another way to sell more crown store race change tokens.
    Veldrn-AD Magica Sorc
    Bizarro Veldrn-AD Stam Sorc
    Antiherro-AD Stam DK
    Antihero-AD Magplar
    Aww Crit-AD Magblade
    AD Since PC beta
    On A lag free vacation
    for the near and far future
This discussion has been closed.