The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Solving AotP

• Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    Everything with crowd behavior is organic.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Red_Nine wrote: »
    Everything with crowd behavior is organic.

Everything with behavior is organic.
  • Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    Even more accurate, Ruckly!
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like to hear from an EP player what’s going on on their end when DC is getting run over by this mega-herd. Is AotP actively trying to round up every Pact player to join? Are any EP doing anything else, such as targeting an AD objective? The few times I’ve paused during one of these battles to check the map, I’ve never seen any indication of any significant action between AD and EP.

DC zone generals are constantly trying to get DC to faction-stack to take back our home keeps (usually Ash), but are never successful. There is ALWAYS a significant percentage of DC that seems to actively avoid fighting AD or EP, so we don’t seem capable as a faction of doing what Crow does with EP, and I’ve rarely seen AD get close to these numbers. What is it about AotP that makes this capability unique to them (from my perspective)?
    Edited by Marcus684 on November 17, 2018 12:41AM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Vivec 30days standard apparently AD and EP are grinding each other for campaigns so far but at the same time it seems like DC mass know how to play campaign while having most fun. it just hilarious. that's why DC is leading current cycle.
    Edited by WaltherCarraway on November 17, 2018 2:20AM
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    I’d like to hear from an EP player what’s going on on their end when DC is getting run over by this mega-herd. Is AotP actively trying to round up every Pact player to join? Are any EP doing anything else, such as targeting an AD objective? The few times I’ve paused during one of these battles to check the map, I’ve never seen any indication of any significant action between AD and EP.

DC zone generals are constantly trying to get DC to faction-stack to take back our home keeps (usually Ash), but are never successful. There is ALWAYS a significant percentage of DC that seems to actively avoid fighting AD or EP, so we don’t seem capable as a faction of doing what Crow does with EP, and I’ve rarely seen AD get close to these numbers. What is it about AotP that makes this capability unique to them (from my perspective)?

When AP is playing, I'm not. Not because of them, but because by then the server performance is so dreadful I go play something else. Even if the servers could handle it, I'd likely swap to AD or DC for the period, since your own faction mega zerging is the least fun time to play. But from the early zone chat, a lot of it seems to just be willingness to pick up PUGs and be nice to them.

But yes, absolutely AD stacks those numbers in one place, especially versus Sej and BRK. Often. I don't know if it's a deliberate multi-guild stack, but I don't think so. And DC does sometimes in the afternoon, during which DC pushes EP relentlessly, and by the time those DC log off, EP is pretty irritated at DC.

P.S. I am not disparaging DC for pushing EP in the afternoons. I don't know why they do, but AD is scarcely on at that time, so pushing EP is certainly more sporting behavior.
    Edited by NBrookus on November 17, 2018 6:03AM
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    usmcjdking wrote: »
    I literally cannot imagine the mindset I would need to ruin the actual gaming performance/experience for a ton of people for no other reason than it's fun.

Sounds like someone who failed the incredibly unfailable ASVAB and is trying to make up for it elsewhere.

Try this on for a thought exercise. You like playing as coordinated team of 12 to 24 players, fighting other organized groups for campaign objectives. The enemy has one last emp keep and one of your scrolls.

You aren't going to bring just one raid because the enemy won't. You arent going to ignore the dethrone. You want your scroll back. Fun for you means fighting for that dethrone and the scroll against a very spirited defense, plus the other faction weighing in.

And yes, that last emp keep dethrone and scroll take turns into a fustercluck of lag and disconnects because ZOS can't happen it when its 3 raids vs 2 raids vs 1 raid all in the same location fighting for the dethrone/scroll take.

That fight is Cyrodiil's objectives working as designed, pulling in tons of players for important things like the dethrone, who defense, and a scroll now worth 10 points.

The fight is also a ton of fun for anyone who doesn't DC 5 times the second they get close to the keep. (That was me)

The lag and disconnects are ZOS hands down failing to handle something they designed into the game - players swarming to take important objectives.

It doesn't take deliberate action to produce game crippling lag anymore. All it takes is players going "look, a dethrone and a scroll! Those are important! We should go there!" Which is exactly what campaign minded players are supposed to do!

But maybe you think we shouldn't stack up on important objectives and should play ring around the resource instead? That certainly produces less lag....

I don't particularly care what you do.

I said I don't understand the mindset it takes to cripple the gameplay because of "OOOOO SHINY" and doing it willingly and knowingly.

I don't see the fun in making people Alt-F4 because ZOS has potato coding. Like it straight up doesn't register with me.
    Edited by usmcjdking on November 18, 2018 9:34AM
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [...] and should play ring around the resource instead? [...]

Hahahah, I lol'd :D
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I literally cannot imagine the mindset I would need to ruin the actual gaming performance/experience for a ton of people for no other reason than it's fun.

Sounds like someone who failed the incredibly unfailable ASVAB and is trying to make up for it elsewhere.

Try this on for a thought exercise. You like playing as coordinated team of 12 to 24 players, fighting other organized groups for campaign objectives. The enemy has one last emp keep and one of your scrolls.

You aren't going to bring just one raid because the enemy won't. You arent going to ignore the dethrone. You want your scroll back. Fun for you means fighting for that dethrone and the scroll against a very spirited defense, plus the other faction weighing in.

And yes, that last emp keep dethrone and scroll take turns into a fustercluck of lag and disconnects because ZOS can't happen it when its 3 raids vs 2 raids vs 1 raid all in the same location fighting for the dethrone/scroll take.

That fight is Cyrodiil's objectives working as designed, pulling in tons of players for important things like the dethrone, who defense, and a scroll now worth 10 points.

The fight is also a ton of fun for anyone who doesn't DC 5 times the second they get close to the keep. (That was me)

The lag and disconnects are ZOS hands down failing to handle something they designed into the game - players swarming to take important objectives.

It doesn't take deliberate action to produce game crippling lag anymore. All it takes is players going "look, a dethrone and a scroll! Those are important! We should go there!" Which is exactly what campaign minded players are supposed to do!

But maybe you think we shouldn't stack up on important objectives and should play ring around the resource instead? That certainly produces less lag....

I said I don't understand the mindset it takes to cripple the gameplay because of "OOOOO SHINY" and doing it willingly and knowingly.

I don't see the fun in making people Alt-F4 because ZOS has potato coding. Like it straight up doesn't register with me.

That's not how thought exercises work.

But since you have no interest in playing along and thinking "well, what if I actually cared about important campaign objective enough to actually show up to major fights ( where people are DCing because theres just that many people going to fight)"....

I hope you have a great day.
  • Mickydanz
    Mickydanz
    ✭✭✭
    I actually Like the fact that army of the pact can be so well organised with so many people, its pretty damn impressive. I would honestly love to be able to fight them properly. It isn't their fault that the game cannot supply AvAvA combat without server issues.

In a perfect world the game would work and skills would cast however we stand there and grind our teeth and let the rage build until we log out and play fortnite pve... it was really weird a game with no lag no game breaking bugs.
    Cropsford Mayor
  • HaroniNDeorum
    HaroniNDeorum
    ✭✭✭
    God i want to return to Eso! Looks like fights can be interesting and final boss is still zos servers
    - Guildmaster of [ PANDA FORCE ] - Aldmeri PvP Guild NA/PC
    - Twitch.tv/haronin
    - Pvp focused player, want to improve everyday
    - Vivec`s Former Emperor: HaroniN AR45
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCT7YWsLrOLoG2HeMWUF7ifg/featured
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But since you have no interest in playing.

And that's the crux of my argument. I've stopped playing because I cannot play during the time I have in the day thanks to AOTP and ilk. I do not understand how anyone can even rationalize doing that to someone else where the most important resource in PVP is people playing the game.
    Edited by usmcjdking on November 18, 2018 11:44PM
  • MaximillianDiE
    MaximillianDiE
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had to check this thread wasn't a necro back to 2016 about Crow and 3-4 warbands of PM lagging out Trueflame. It seems like nothing changes in Cyrodill - even if the bulk of the players from 2016 are no longer playing this broken game. The lag remains the constant thread throughout all these threads.

Maximillian Die Caesar - DC - [K-Hole] Retired
    Maximillian AD [[DiE]
    Retired
  • heng14rwb17_ESO
    heng14rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    NUKE 1 DROP.
    NUKE 2 DROP.
    NUKE 3 DROP!
    100 NOOBBIES WIPE !
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    _Crow wrote: »
    Elong wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    We split up our raids more then half the time tonight, and DC and AD still could not even get their scrolls back while we were on LOL, before you guys judge us, maybe you should run in one of our raids and see for yourself how it is ;). Our doors are always opened!

Anyway, see you guys out there! <3

Honey, people are trying to be polite over here. It's not a good idea to poke the lion, as it were.

Sweetie, I have been leading raids of all kinds for 3+ years, and I have learned that all the toxic and pathetic small man AD/DC groups, and failed "zone generals" are just above the FD NPC's as far as their impact in Cyro and zone chat goes. Not to mention they are pure cancer for the PvP community. The only opinion I give 2 craps about are other raid leads of guilds that make PvP worth playing and my amazing guild members ;)

It's always charming to see someone bite the hand that fed you.

You do you though Crow, just don't forget that you told me the real reason you run 80 people is because it's fun to lag the server and you're aiming for 100 people. That it's not for training new people in pvp, it's for your ego. I still remember that whisper, your original post here is unfortunately a facade.

Quite a few EP have permanently swapped factions due to your actions too which is sad for everyone involved and makes EP a weaker faction.

But all the best, it's summer here, I'll be out enjoying the weather at the time you destroy people's ability to pvp on an already broken server :)

Elong... if you don't understand sarcasm or that 99% of what i say is me joking... then you are too far gone :neutral:

If your idea of joking is calling people "toxic", "cancer" and "pathetic", especially those that helped get people like you on the correct path, then I'm sorry but the joke is lost on me.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AP is doing good things for the EP faction. One major reason for success: raids are conducted in a cheerful fashion with no drama, optimistic, ...fun. (At least in zone chat-- I don't think they use discord)
    When they wipe (yes, they wipe, it is not impossible to beat them even with 72 players) there are no recriminations, no drama, they just regroup and go somewhere else.
    Crow has managed something rarely seen: running 3+ groups. This is the sort of strategy the game really needs. Each battalion can go to a different conflict, yet each force is large enough in each case to resist a large AD or DC raid. There is a reason military forces are hierarchically organized, it is more efficient from a strategic perspective.
    The "zone generals" have always despaired that they couldn't get the "pugs" to do what they want. AP solves that problem.
    But, of course there are strategic drawbacks, especially before they started splitting their groups to different objectives. Eg it makes no sense to see 60+ people taking an outpost. While this is happening, EP can lose unattended keeps.
    AD faction routinely has 60+ players attacking an objective. This also causes huge lag. I have often disconnected at BRK when a large AD faction is there. That is a performance issue.
    There is one NA sever with supposedly millions of subscribers. We don't know the exact number of players in Cyrodil, but it doesn't seem like more than 120 per side. Hard to understand why 120 players could destroy the performance like it does, when one server is housing thousands all simultaneously using abilities. CPU processors now handle 65k MIPs. Maybe the major issue is lag causing desync (Player 1 has lag of 0.1 second, player 2 0.5 second. They both fire their ability at each other at the same time. How to handle that in game play? This was solved in online Chess servers in the early 1990s, but I don't know how you could solve it with 100+ player battles)

Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was on later than usual last night and one player in zone chat said they were fighting AotP for 4 hours :'( . That is a huge time share taken out of prime-time.

I don't think DC really bothers with Ash anymore. It used to be Chal bad Ash good but the buffer Chal gives is almost imperative. And the huge laggy battles between AotP(AP) and DC militia does give AD a free hand to do what they want. The 80 man blob battles when met head on are a coin flip because of lag and disconnects. If you are not presently in a battle sphere you will disconnect on approach. If you fire 80 man blob enough times eventually you will win enough coin flips to gate a faction and take a scroll. There is no sport to this however. No marginal battles. I doubt AotP(AP) walks away from a 40 minute siege on ales saying woo-whee that was one hell of a battle. On the other hand when the DC-AD lane opens up 40 minute sieges on Ash/Nikel/Roe do happen and they are humdingers.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's the crux of my argument. I've stopped playing because I cannot play during the time I have in the day thanks to AOTP and ilk. I do not understand how anyone can even rationalize doing that to someone else where the most important resource in PVP is people playing the game.

And the crux of my argument is that its entirely possible to play Cyrodiil as intended and still create game breaking lag without even doing it deliberately.

I don't have to deliberately set out to break your (and my) game to unplayability. All I have to do is try to play the game as intended, showing up for important objectives that naturally and organically draw lots of players, AotP or no AotP. It happened before them and it will happen after them.

You want to be guaranteed to play? So do I. I'd dearly love to be able to dethrone an emperor versus several enemy raids without a massive laggy conflagration of misfiring skills and disconnects at the last emp keep.

Its a problem thats on ZOS to fix.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only play DC.
    DC just has nothing to combat this right now on Vivec. I don't mind faction stacks and I even think that they are fun--I love a good long last emp keep fight! But this is where ever you go on the map, DC doesn't seem to have a large enough organized group running to combat this, at least at the hours I play which is usually prime time or a bit after prime time.

To boot, both small scale guilds I am in, have pretty much quit pvping, mostly because where ever you go on the map, no matter how small the objective, you get 2 raids on you. Good small scale groups can pull some pressure off. I haven't seen many on lately.

I can adjust to different playstyles, and I have been running with run with a larger 10-16 person DC group now that sometimes can get stuff done, but most of the time we are just 12. I think last night was the most frustrating night I have played in a long time. I like a good challenge, but even though our group was at times 14 to 16, we just couldn't overcome the numbers. Everyone logged off early. It just wasn't fun---and I am someone who always has a good time in game.

To me 16 is a super large group, I can't imagine a group of 72. I think I'll end up back in Shor.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭

And the crux of my argument is that its entirely possible to play Cyrodiil as intended and still create game breaking lag without even doing it deliberately.

I don't have to deliberately set out to break your (and my) game to unplayability. All I have to do is try to play the game as intended, showing up for important objectives that naturally and organically draw lots of players, AotP or no AotP. It happened before them and it will happen after them.

You want to be guaranteed to play? So do I. I'd dearly love to be able to dethrone an emperor versus several enemy raids without a massive laggy conflagration of misfiring skills and disconnects at the last emp keep.

Its a problem thats on ZOS to fix.

What Varanis said.
  • Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »
    I was on later than usual last night and one player in zone chat said they were fighting AotP for 4 hours :'( . That is a huge time share taken out of prime-time.

I don't think DC really bothers with Ash anymore. It used to be Chal bad Ash good but the buffer Chal gives is almost imperative. And the huge laggy battles between AotP(AP) and DC militia does give AD a free hand to do what they want. The 80 man blob battles when met head on are a coin flip because of lag and disconnects. If you are not presently in a battle sphere you will disconnect on approach. If you fire 80 man blob enough times eventually you will win enough coin flips to gate a faction and take a scroll. There is no sport to this however. No marginal battles. I doubt AotP(AP) walks away from a 40 minute siege on ales saying woo-whee that was one hell of a battle. On the other hand when the DC-AD lane opens up 40 minute sieges on Ash/Nikel/Roe do happen and they are humdingers.

Impossible as AP ran from 7pm to about 9:30pm Central time last night. That's only 2.5 hours. The "one player in zone" is rarely a reliable source of information.
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruckly wrote: »

Impossible as AP ran from 7pm to about 9:30pm Central time last night. That's only 2.5 hours. The "one player in zone" is rarely a reliable source of information.

2.5 hours is a small time share taken out of prime-time then.
  • Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to remind that nothing said here will stop AP from enjoying AvA as it is promoted to be played, so maybe this thread's run its course. Plus lately we've been splitting up almost every time we run and we only stack our raid groups when it becomes strategically necessary. So this is a lot of huffing and puffing about nothing.
    Theignson wrote: »
    AP is doing good things for the EP faction. One major reason for success: raids are conducted in a cheerful fashion with no drama, optimistic, ...fun. (At least in zone chat-- I don't think they use discord)
    When they wipe (yes, they wipe, it is not impossible to beat them even with 72 players) there are no recriminations, no drama, they just regroup and go somewhere else.

I can vouch for the above, and go even further and say our voice chat is low-drama as well. The most drama is introduced by outsiders, such as this whiny forum topic and zone chat trolls form other factions, tbh.

• Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to remind that nothing said here will stop AP from enjoying AvA as it is promoted to be played, so maybe this thread's run its course. Plus lately we've been splitting up almost every time we run and we only stack our raid groups when it becomes strategically necessary. So this is a lot of huffing and puffing about nothing.

I can vouch for the above, and go even further and say our voice chat is low-drama as well. The most drama is introduced by outsiders, such as this whiny forum topic and zone chat trolls form other factions, tbh.

Is 7pm-9:30pm CST AP's standard raiding schedule?
  • Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭

It should be noted that just about all of the rhetoric in this thread that is contrary to forum guidelines has come from EP players e.g. "whiny forum topic". I am happy the moderators have been as lenient as they have so the topic can be expanded upon and not locked because this or that person comes into the thread intentionally making a post contrary to forum guidelines.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »
    To boot, both small scale guilds I am in, have pretty much quit pvping, mostly because where ever you go on the map, no matter how small the objective, you get 2 raids on you. Good small scale groups can pull some pressure off. I haven't seen many on lately.

That's not a DC thing. If you try to small scale on EP, you either get nothing or all of DC/AD because people expect a zerg. It's the state of the game.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Hexquisite wrote: »

That's not a DC thing. If you try to small scale on EP, you either get nothing or all of DC/AD because people expect a zerg. It's the state of the game.

Yeah I agree. Though I did see Amty yesterday, but even they seemed to running a bit bigger.
    Strategically, if one small team can distract one full raid for 15 mins on a resource, I guess it makes sense to just come get rid of the distraction as soon as possible to get your faction back in line with objectives.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Ruckly
    Ruckly
    ✭✭✭✭
    To continue to expand on the OP because somethings I glossed over such as why DC has the solution it does(back capping). When a 100 man army arrives at a keep and say 40 defenders happen to be there(because DC is splitting forces in both lanes); once the battle begins DC cannot reinforce that keep. If they come near that keep they get disconnected. If anyone who specializes in IT or server engineering/maintenance can give us a clue how we can solve this directly instead of using the work around we currently use that would be helpful and a big step towards making PC NA Vivec more meaningful. Presently the army that arrives with a 100 man force has a huge initiative and is indefensible. Besides hard counters not working because of lag DC could not field an army unless they anticipate what keep this 100 man army is going to. If they anticipate wrong then 100 DC are standing around in a keep twiddling their thumbs.
  • gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind so much AotP if it was all EP had. In the current state of Vivec, most of the better guilds in the game are also on EP's side.
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• Red_Nine
    Red_Nine
    ✭✭✭
    gabriebe wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind so much AotP if it was all EP had. In the current state of Vivec, most of the better guilds in the game are also on EP's side.

Not so much anymore. Could you give some examples? Many of the EP guilds that were running a few months ago have disbanded or faded away. I think many of those players found a new home at AP.

This discussion has been closed.