The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Magplar PvP

• ryudan91
    ryudan91
    Soul Shriven
    Should Valkyn/Zaan/Grothdar + Heavy Sload + Jewelry/Weap Overwhelming Surge along with a good defensive skill setup with many heals and DoTs for the procs be a great build for non-cp and BG? Did anyone test this?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    Feanor wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I think if we were all hopping on the next broken thing none of us would be playing magplar as anything other than healers lol ;)

I dunno. @Solariken wrote in the Eclipse thread:
    There is a specific type of setup for magplar that is insanely OP and yes nearly unkillable. I agree it feels dirty to play and I'm pretty sure it's what has held the class back from buff/rework for so long. This type of magplar was weakened only by the speed meta. I fear we're about to see it rear it's ugly head once again.

I wouldn’t know about that though. I’m just casting BoL until I’m OOM.

I think its because certain magplar setups are really strong, but not as strong as certain NB/Warden/DK setups. There are strengths.

And Magplar has more flexibility than stamplar.

Really strong indeed. IMO magplar has the greatest capacity of any class to build to not die. That's not to say however that I think magplar is the strongest spec in any other respect, because bit isn't, but it's I'm a very nice place balance-wise now though.

They kinda have what other classes have though, with weaker versions. The only difference is crutching off block cast BoL.

Things that make magplar competitive:
    - valkyn
    - block based weapon
    - vampire
    - purge

3 out of 4 items any class can run, and arguably at a better efficiency than magplar. If 3 out of 4 items dont make magplar strong, then you can deslot any of those items and fight at the same capacity as other meta setups. Shirt answer, magplar crutches a little bit same as stamplar, but we at least havea burst heal in our kit.

Here's the challenge, if you can makea Templar that surpasses vamp-valkyn-block then I'll agree that Templar is really strong. But so far I haven't seen a competitive build recently move away from thatt triology.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sets would you guys say make magplar the most unkillable?

I mess around with this kinda nonsense every once in a while so wondering if any of you expert plars got a particularly good set up?
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Rending slashes on magplar sounds like a hilarious gimmick, but with the pts changes to enchant procs it may be the next big thing.

...shhhhhhh

I've still got a gold nirnhoned set of Torugs DW in the bank from back when 2piece Torugs was a thing people did. It'll be coming out next patch.

Not meaning you specifically, but to me that's what's fundamentally wrong with ESO balance. Everyone is just hopping on to the next broken thing patch after patch.

What's fundamentally wrong is when the devs are told something will be utterly broken when it's tested on PTS and then ignore it for 6 months.

At least they belted down that anguish set. Still; with all MMOs and seemingly this one especially, there seems to be huge peaks and valleys in balance. This one it seems a bit worse as they introduce new sets all the time seemingly as progression rather than a gear level incrase and to sell expansions or subscriptions to where staying put doesnt just leave you a little behind the curve yet on an even keel. It obliterates you unless you adopt the new meta.
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ryudan91 wrote: »
    Should Valkyn/Zaan/Grothdar + Heavy Sload + Jewelry/Weap Overwhelming Surge along with a good defensive skill setup with many heals and DoTs for the procs be a great build for non-cp and BG? Did anyone test this?
    Yes. This build was OP af in Summerset and it's still a very strong build. Just be ready for the hate whispers. :dizzy:
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I've missed this topic as I'm jumping in here with 49 unread posts

But relating to HtD front or back bar ...

My suggestion is try to stay as mobile as you can keep moving ... Keep HTD back barred and also have precognition from the psijic skill line ... If you get locked down it's a great positional reset, with CCC immunity and if your lucky resource recovery, but it allows that time to buff, heal and go offensive while they try to figure out wtf just happened
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anybody use shadow rend..how do you rate it?
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I think if we were all hopping on the next broken thing none of us would be playing magplar as anything other than healers lol ;)

I dunno. @Solariken wrote in the Eclipse thread:
    There is a specific type of setup for magplar that is insanely OP and yes nearly unkillable. I agree it feels dirty to play and I'm pretty sure it's what has held the class back from buff/rework for so long. This type of magplar was weakened only by the speed meta. I fear we're about to see it rear it's ugly head once again.

I wouldn’t know about that though. I’m just casting BoL until I’m OOM.

I think its because certain magplar setups are really strong, but not as strong as certain NB/Warden/DK setups. There are strengths.

And Magplar has more flexibility than stamplar.

Really strong indeed. IMO magplar has the greatest capacity of any class to build to not die. That's not to say however that I think magplar is the strongest spec in any other respect, because bit isn't, but it's I'm a very nice place balance-wise now though.

They kinda have what other classes have though, with weaker versions. The only difference is crutching off block cast BoL.

Things that make magplar competitive:
    - valkyn
    - block based weapon
    - vampire
    - purge

3 out of 4 items any class can run, and arguably at a better efficiency than magplar. If 3 out of 4 items dont make magplar strong, then you can deslot any of those items and fight at the same capacity as other meta setups. Shirt answer, magplar crutches a little bit same as stamplar, but we at least havea burst heal in our kit.

Here's the challenge, if you can makea Templar that surpasses vamp-valkyn-block then I'll agree that Templar is really strong. But so far I haven't seen a competitive build recently move away from thatt triology.

Well I at least manage to play without skoria^^
    What sets would you guys say make magplar the most unkillable?

I mess around with this kinda nonsense every once in a while so wondering if any of you expert plars got a particularly good set up?

Sets, which makes magplars unkillable, are/were malubeth, pirate skeleton and reactive armor. Maybe also impreg with lots of sturdy traits.
    Syiccal wrote: »

Shadowrend is strong in duels, if it procs. The downside is, that templars tend to cleanse too much and therefore remove chances for shadowrend to proc. I had duels, where it was constantly up and duels, where it actually never procced. For open world it only makes sense to slot shadowrend to get access to necropotence set.
  • Reefo
    Reefo
    ✭✭✭
    I’m running
    2x pirate skeleton
    5x wizards riposte
    5x Lich (SnB back bar x2)
    2x willpower (DW)

Atro Mundus
    All spelldamage glyphs

Tanky - sustainable - damage
    Best magplar build for me and been magplar for 3years

The question I have to all other magplars, in a outnumbered scenario purifying light while the heal helps and the single target is good doesn’t help “kill em all”

Is solar barrage with the removed cast time worth it seems like it will tick 1k on players and will be better vs X than purifying light. I’m at work now and just had this idea so haven’t tested.

Reflective light + solar barrage + dawnbreaker + sweeps
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reefo wrote: »
    I’m running
    2x pirate skeleton
    5x wizards riposte
    5x Lich (SnB back bar x2)
    2x willpower (DW)

Atro Mundus
    All spelldamage glyphs

Tanky - sustainable - damage
    Best magplar build for me and been magplar for 3years

The question I have to all other magplars, in a outnumbered scenario purifying light while the heal helps and the single target is good doesn’t help “kill em all”

Is solar barrage with the removed cast time worth it seems like it will tick 1k on players and will be better vs X than purifying light. I’m at work now and just had this idea so haven’t tested.

Reflective light + solar barrage + dawnbreaker + sweeps

Outnumbered you always go for some decent aoe damage capability. Normally dawnbreaker (or crescent in murkmire) and jabs should do the job against the masses of new players. If you are outnumbered by several decent guys, you need to separate them and try to burst one down, while the others are looking for you. There purifying is strong. You also can cast pury on one target or severals in the enemy mass to get some decent offhealing, when they go off. With some luck it adds some burst after you dawnbreakered and jabbed them.

Solar barrage adds some aoe pressure and also can add some damage to your puries, so you may consider using it.
  • Reefo
    Reefo
    ✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    Outnumbered you always go for some decent aoe damage capability. Normally dawnbreaker (or crescent in murkmire) and jabs should do the job against the masses of new players. If you are outnumbered by several decent guys, you need to separate them and try to burst one down, while the others are looking for you. There purifying is strong. You also can cast pury on one target or severals in the enemy mass to get some decent offhealing, when they go off. With some luck it adds some burst after you dawnbreakered and jabbed them.

Solar barrage adds some aoe pressure and also can add some damage to your puries, so you may consider using it.

Maybe I should drop reflective light for solar barrage? Inner light is already on the front bar
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

Maybe I should drop reflective light for solar barrage? Inner light is already on the front bar

That really depends. I like reflective light as "ranged spammable" and also as snare and dot. Its also strong, because it hits three targets.

The general problem is, that as soon as you neglect the single target pressure (like pry and reflective light), you will not kill decent enemies anymore, only pugs, which die to the aoe pressure. But the same pugs will also die with less aoe abilities, but you will also be able to kill decent enemies, because you have single target skills.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I ran Shadowrend open world for most of the CWC patch. It's really not bad, and presumably gets a little buff next patch wit the change to pet speed. But I don't think it's the best choice for magplar. Too many ways to get easier access to Major Protection next patch.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep wanting to try to come up with something that was similar to my ravaging, hundings, bloodspawn I ran as stamplar for a while but as a magplar. Basically aggressive with crit and damage and retreat to LOS more than tanky. HTD in stead of vigor. Mist form rather than FM and sprint. Magicka morph of jabs would make up for the missing HOT from FM so long as I stay aggressive. I'd assume RD in place of executioner but I honestly am not a fan of the skill as its execute seems so delayed to where it really only seems to work when you have someone else getting them in execution range while you get it to hit at the right time.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I keep wanting to try to come up with something that was similar to my ravaging, hundings, bloodspawn I ran as stamplar for a while but as a magplar. Basically aggressive with crit and damage and retreat to LOS more than tanky. HTD in stead of vigor. Mist form rather than FM and sprint. Magicka morph of jabs would make up for the missing HOT from FM so long as I stay aggressive. I'd assume RD in place of executioner but I honestly am not a fan of the skill as its execute seems so delayed to where it really only seems to work when you have someone else getting them in execution range while you get it to hit at the right time.

Two different playstyles. Magplar won't give you the "quick in, quick out" burst that a stamplar can but stamplar won't give you the "brawler" playstyle that magplar can do.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Two different playstyles. Magplar won't give you the "quick in, quick out" burst that a stamplar can but stamplar won't give you the "brawler" playstyle that magplar can do.

Yeah, dont think I can get it as burst but just running offensively, think it could manage to keep pressure on longer. Just dont know of sets that would give close to the raw power a proc ravager could other than maybe going ahead and running alchemist, which feels better for the burst part rather than help the constant pressure. Maybe run necrop and bright throat with shadowrend but uptime could still be ruined.

Then I got to thinking about just working light of Cyrodiil in there and how that could mesh with jab spam with the new minor protection passive. And it has me flipped back around to thinking more defensive sets.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Juli, Spell Strategist, defensive monster set? Your burst is Total Dark into Sweeps, then Crescent while they're breaking free from TD. If PL explodes somewhere in there, you won't need an execute.

Yeah, dont think I can get it as burst but just running offensively, think it could manage to keep pressure on longer. Just dont know of sets that would give close to the raw power a proc ravager could other than maybe going ahead and running alchemist, which feels better for the burst part rather than help the constant pressure. Maybe run necrop and bright throat with shadowrend but uptime could still be ruined.

Then I got to thinking about just working light of Cyrodiil in there and how that could mesh with jab spam with the new minor protection passive. And it has me flipped back around to thinking more defensive sets.

Spell Strategist is going to be pretty close to a Ravager proc. Its being only ST won't matter that much when you can nuke down a single target that quickly.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

Juli, Spell Strategist, defensive monster set? Your burst is Total Dark into Sweeps, then Crescent while they're breaking free from TD. If PL explodes somewhere in there, you won't need an execute.

Spell Strategist is going to be pretty close to a Ravager proc. Its being only ST won't matter that much when you can nuke down a single target that quickly.

Spell Strategist sounds like a great set for ranged magplar, but kind of goes against the AoE nature of melee magplar. I'm not sure if I'd go for it despite the nice uptime - getting a sustain set and rocking full spell damage glyphs might give better all-round burst potential if you pair it with a damage set.

On the subject of melee magplar...

I'm going to try Bright-Throat/Bloodspawn/either Shackle or Seducer with Dubious food, and full spell damage glyphs to really round out the damage/aoe/heals. I'm hoping Crescent is not as crappy post-patch as it is now, but if it is then maybe I'll stick to Meteor/Bats.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spell strategist makes me nervous on a class that relies on healing. I think it will be a monster on magblade, because they needed more damage
    Edited by technohic on October 19, 2018 8:17PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »

Spell Strategist sounds like a great set for ranged magplar, but kind of goes against the AoE nature of melee magplar. I'm not sure if I'd go for it despite the nice uptime - getting a sustain set and rocking full spell damage glyphs might give better all-round burst potential if you pair it with a damage set.

I'm going to try Bright-Throat/Bloodspawn/either Shackle or Seducer with Dubious food, and full spell damage glyphs to really round out the damage/aoe/heals. I'm hoping Crescent is not as crappy post-patch as it is now, but if it is then maybe I'll stick to Meteor/Bats.

Run some tristats and slot restoring focus for stamina regen.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tristats are definitely a given. But between shackle and bloodspawn you think I still need more stam regen?
  • Reefo
    Reefo
    ✭✭✭
    I changed to an argonian, my Stam problems disappeared. And I’m in light armor
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tristats are definitely a given. But between shackle and bloodspawn you think I still need more stam regen?

I meant instead of dubious. That's a ridiculous thing to do for stamina sustain as a mag character.

You were gonna run blood spawn, shackle, and dubious for stam sustain? Blood spawn and shackle should be enough.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Argonian is BiS imo for magplar.....but these light armor changes coming with murkmire are really making me reconsider...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

Argonian is BiS imo for magplar.....but these light armor changes coming with murkmire are really making me reconsider...

Gross
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on October 21, 2018 4:46AM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant instead of dubious. That's a ridiculous thing to do for stamina sustain as a mag character.

You were gonna run blood spawn, shackle, and dubious for stam sustain? Blood spawn and shackle should be enough.

No, you misread. Seducer and Dubious.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, you misread. Seducer and Dubious.

Yes i did. I think it's unnecessary and you're giving up to much in the wrong direction, but hey, whatever works right?
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im currently in 2 minds,, willpower lightning staff or master lightning staff?..what we saying?
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im currently in 2 minds,, willpower lightning staff or master lightning staff?..what we saying?

With the changes to weapon skills dot comments procing glyphs, no reason not to run reach. Definitely masters imo.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With the changes to weapon skills dot comments procing glyphs, no reason not to run reach. Definitely masters imo.

yea my thoughts to the more I think about it. Arnt they changing it so beserker can proc from weapon skills to and not just light/heavy att.If that's the case it's going to be a toss up between shock enchant as I currently use for minor vulnerability and beserker for the extra spell dmg