Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the update as my build has been buffed all around with the sole exception of the Swift trait...

I currently devour Magicka Dragon Knights and Stam Sorcs whole...

My superiority will be even more pronounced with Murkmire...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the update as my build has been buffed all around with the sole exception of the Swift trait...

mag dks are my number one nemesis, being locked down and then unable to target them is a nightmare, only so many times I can cleanse heal there dots with the constant cc/root spam
    Edited by Syiccal on October 10, 2018 7:10PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

mag dks are my number one nemesis, being locked down and then unable to target them is a nightmare, only so many times I can cleanse heal there dots with the constant cc/root spam

Figure out what order that apply thier dots and roots, only cleanse after they apply the all, and instead apply yours as well. A total dark as they start is very disruptive too.
  • Gibus043
    Gibus043
    Gibus043 wrote: »
    I don't have much experience with magplar
    Can you share your bar setups for Battlegrounds / Openworld No-CP?

I was thinking to try something like this:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=90710

Ok, I gave it a try and there's something I didn't understood

If I cast Eclipse (Total Dark) followed by a Stun (Toppling Charge), does my target have to break free once or twice?
    Edited by Gibus043 on October 10, 2018 10:21PM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have much experience with magplar
    Can you share your bar setups for Battlegrounds / Openworld No-CP?

I was thinking to try something like this:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=90710

Ok, I gave it a try and there's something I didn't understood

If I cast Eclipse (Total Dark) followed by a Stun (Toppling Charge), does my target have to break free once or twice?

One break free with remove them from the stun AND total dark sphere. I don't recommend doing both, it's poor synergy. If your opponents good, you're literally just giving them a global cooldowns advantage to prevent your hard stun.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »

Figure out what order that apply thier dots and roots, only cleanse after they apply the all, and instead apply yours as well. A total dark as they start is very disruptive too.

For me the key is discipline; in other words don't attempt to free yourself from Talons as that is exactly what they want you to try and do...

Save your Stamina for breaking free of Fossilize...

When faced with Talon's, stack your HoT's, make sure your Spell Resist is high (this should be a prerequisite for a Magicka Templar IMHO), and spin your camera around so that you can target them as they try to pivot around you (it's one of the few situations were you can land Invigorating/Accelerating Drain for the full duration of the channel)...

If you are built correctly, you will out heal their damage, cost them resources, and manage to return fire...

You'll eventually win the Resource Battle and defeat them...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on October 11, 2018 1:57AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Feyziness
    Feyziness
    ✭✭
    Can you guys suggest a PVP bar setup for a ranged build that doesn’t involve sweeps as it just hit for so little? What would you use as a spammable?

My setup:
    Front bar
    Vamps Bane
    Entropy
    Dark flare
    Elemental Drain
    Flame reach

Back bar
    Total dark
    Elusive mist
    Channeled Focus
    Honor The dead
    Extended ritual

I use soul assault as execute, may not be ideal
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feyziness wrote: »
    Can you guys suggest a PVP bar setup for a ranged build that doesn’t involve sweeps as it just hit for so little? What would you use as a spammable?

My setup:
    Front bar
    Vamps Bane
    Entropy
    Dark flare
    Elemental Drain
    Flame reach

Back bar
    Total dark
    Elusive mist
    Channeled Focus
    Honor The dead
    Extended ritual

I use soul assault as execute, may not be ideal

Elemental weapon / pulse.

The ult isn't ideal for anything other than a 1v1 situation.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Feyziness
    Feyziness
    ✭✭
    @BNOC
    What would you leave out for those skills?
    And thanks for the reply
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

I actually don't play range so don't know the whole setup - I would guess at Dark flare but you're probably better off speaking to one of the ranged guys in here.

I know @Joy_Division is one so maybe he'll know.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

https://youtu.be/tlb0KcnD2Nw

Vamps banes is your spamable along with fire reach.

Remember vamps bane has both a direct dmg and dot component. The direct damage part is the first to hit so you can weave it with light attacks.

If you also want, drop vamps bane, pick up ele weapon/pulse while using mag/health/crit pots. Fire reach has a dot already so you won't be missing vamps bane as much if you can get crit elsewhere.

Edit:
    honestly just use vamps bane. It can snare at least and the snare is unblockable according to the rules ZOS made up couple patches ago. It also lets you run whatever pots you want. Cast degeneration, VB+LA weave and drop in some cc. You can also remove total dark if you want; place wall of elements to help you defend against melee.
    Edited by Minno on October 11, 2018 1:51PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

Remember vamps bane has both a direct dmg and dot component. The direct damage part is the first to hit so you can weave it with light attacks.

If you also want, drop vamps bane, pick up ele weapon/pulse while using mag/health/crit pots. Fire reach has a dot already so you won't be missing vamps bane as much if you can get crit elsewhere.

Edit:
    honestly just use vamps bane. It can snare at least and the snare is unblockable according to the rules ZOS made up couple patches ago. It also lets you run whatever pots you want. Cast degeneration, VB+LA weave and drop in some cc. You can also remove total dark if you want; place wall of elements to help you defend against melee.

Didn't even think of VB and I spam it myself at range.

I think and it may be worth noting, depending on your recovery that weaving with Bane is more expensive than Elemental weapon.; Same cost as pulse.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

Edit:

I think and it may be worth noting, depending on your recovery that weaving with Bane is more expensive than Elemental weapon.; Same cost as pulse.

Anything under 2500 I consider cheap enough to spam, especially with heavy attacks weaved in. If you can't sustain that spamable, your build/playstyle has recovery issues. There are pros/cons to each

Vamps bane:
    - crit buff (frees up pot/bar space)
    - strong dot
    - procs minor sorcery
    - fire damage so procs burning
    - no weapon needed
    - 30% snare

force pulse:
    - extra burst on status effected targets
    - all 3 elemental damages with % chance to proc each one's status effects
    - 10% penetration on it's damage
    - unreflectable
    - requires destro staff

Ele weapon:
    - huge tooltip dmg (10k without sneezing)
    - gives back cost if not cast
    - block shield passive
    - orb dmg passive
    - doesnt need a weapon
    - always gives 1 status effect regardless of proc chance.
    - weird weaving mechanic
    Edited by Minno on October 11, 2018 2:16PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reason to run dark flare: rage whispers
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

Edit:

Anything under 2500 I consider cheap enough to spam, especially with heavy attacks weaved in. If you can't sustain that spamable, your build/playstyle has recovery issues. There are pros/cons to each

Vamps bane:
    - strong dot
    - procs minor sorcery
    - no weapon needed
    - 30% snare

force pulse:
    - unreflectable
    - requires destro staff

Ele weapon:
    - block shield passive
    - orb dmg passive
    - doesnt need a weapon
    - weird weaving mechanic

Yeah, when you lay it all out like that though, I can't see a reason to spam VB instead of just keeping it up and using EW.

If you keep VB up and spam EW you've got:
    Crit
    - Snare
    - Strong dot
    - Minor Sorcery

Ele weapon:
    - block shield passive
    - orb dmg passive
    - doesnt need a weapon
    - weird weaving mechanic

Rather than to just be refreshing VB. I've not played ranged for a long time, since IC, do you find VB weaving better?

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In murk I'll be using

Bane
    Blazing
    Elemental weapons
    Total dark
    Radiant

Focus
    Degeneration
    Htd
    Ritual
    Purifying

Blazing for passives, point defense, melee range dps.

EW +LA+ bane while a blazing tick, possible burning light, bane tick, glyph proc is really good burst. Add in a stacked purifying light explosion and you can start executing some ppl.

You can use a build allowing for masters destro and use that for an actual cc/root which will also apply a dot. So you'd have possibly 3 dots (4 with degeneration but it's not a damage oriented skill) which will allow you to have some pressure on defense.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC
    And thanks for the reply

Edit:

Vamps bane:
    - strong dot
    - procs minor sorcery
    - no weapon needed
    - 30% snare

force pulse:
    - unreflectable
    - requires destro staff

Ele weapon:
    - block shield passive
    - orb dmg passive
    - doesnt need a weapon
    - weird weaving mechanic

Yeah, when you lay it all out like that though, I can't see a reason to spam VB instead of just keeping it up and using EW.

If you keep VB up and spam EW you've got:
    Crit
    - Snare
    - Strong dot
    - Minor Sorcery

Ele weapon:
    - block shield passive
    - orb dmg passive
    - doesnt need a weapon
    - weird weaving mechanic

Rather than to just be refreshing VB. I've not played ranged for a long time, since IC, do you find VB weaving better?

You are not wrong either!

Honestly its what you feel comfortable. It's just sustained pressure into purfying light. IF running vamps bane only lets you fit other utility/burst, then run it (staff heavy attack-vamps bane-LA = 20500 tooltip damage all hitting at once if timed right).

I will be running ele weapon come murkmire. But not on a staff for testing purposes.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Feyziness
    Feyziness
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Recovery is not an issue so I’ll give VB slam a run.
    Do you guys think Radiant Destruction will be good enough to put on my bar come next patch?
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Recovery is not an issue so I’ll give VB slam a run.
    Do you guys think Radiant Destruction will be good enough to put on my bar come next patch?

Depends on what you prefer. There is a bug where the first tick doesnt happen instantly allowing targets to heal back up out of execute range (cinbri found that one, its shown on the PTS templar thread).
    Edited by Minno on October 11, 2018 4:20PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a few questions I was hoping some of you guys might have good answers for.

I use reflective light right now, but it feels like it hits for almost nothing and would rather use spear next patch in its spot, but I can't find a good way to get the major crit back. Any advice there?

I also wanna try a build with Willpower front bar and a monster 2 piece with 4 and 4 body and both 5 pieces back bar. The sets that could work with this are spell power cure, transmutation, gossamer, clever alchemist, acuity (I might have missed some). I prefer to run heavy but I could go light with protective and try to build stam with tri glyphs. I'm just not sure if those sets are worth building that way. Any thoughts there? I'm not sure if gossamer would be worth it as I block pretty much all ultimates so I'm not sure I would get much benefit.

Also what do you guys think about sanctuary?

This is for solo and small group play.
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I use reflective light right now, but it feels like it hits for almost nothing and would rather use spear next patch in its spot, but I can't find a good way to get the major crit back. Any advice there?

I also wanna try a build with Willpower front bar and a monster 2 piece with 4 and 4 body and both 5 pieces back bar. The sets that could work with this are spell power cure, transmutation, gossamer, clever alchemist, acuity (I might have missed some). I prefer to run heavy but I could go light with protective and try to build stam with tri glyphs. I'm just not sure if those sets are worth building that way. Any thoughts there? I'm not sure if gossamer would be worth it as I block pretty much all ultimates so I'm not sure I would get much benefit.

For your backbar next patch, don't forget that new heavy set that gives Major Protection when you cleanse a negative effect. Less valuable if you're running Empowering Sweep, but it's going to be give 50% uptime on Major Protection, which is pretty attractive.

You're an Argonian right? Have you considered Immov/Major Prophecy potions in place of Reflective Light? Unless you consider tri-pots non-negotiable.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

For your backbar next patch, don't forget that new heavy set that gives Major Protection when you cleanse a negative effect. Less valuable if you're running Empowering Sweep, but it's going to be give 50% uptime on Major Protection, which is pretty attractive.

You're an Argonian right? Have you considered Immov/Major Prophecy potions in place of Reflective Light? Unless you consider tri-pots non-negotiable.

I'll be using Crescent so that set looks really good. I do crutch on tri pots but your solution might make me switch.

You might be a genius though. I'll have to try out both of your ideas.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be using Crescent so that set looks really good. I do crutch on tri pots but your solution might make me switch.

That snare is nice if you're using sweeps. Blazing spear seems like it'll be great for outnumbered play next patch, but its weak vs mobile burst and kite builds (we will see less of those i think now). I'm going to be running both honestly.

Spc/trans is my favorite small group build b in the game. Not only do you pack a punch while taking 1, you can feel the impact you have on the other 1 or so ppl you play with.

Keep in mind if you run dw/snb you can front bar 1, back bar the other, and have 1 willpower jewelry and 1 1h weapon/ shield for 100% willpower 2pc uptime while still having 2 4pcs active at all times.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crit source options:
    - health/mag/crit pots
    - spell power pots
    - vamps bane
    - inner light front bar with a crit bonus set on backbar (trans).

Sets:
    - willpower always works, assuming your 5pc sets can activated via 5pc body, 3jewel, backbar weapons. Or you can do 4pc body 1 weapon+3 pc jewels, 1pc body and 1 weapon.
    - slotting inner light on backbar roughly equals the same bonus as willpower. SO you can equalize your stats without annoying backbar bar swap issues.
    - clever will work backbar with the 4,4 weapon setup. Most of the sets mentioned can; trans is nice because it benefits yourself while buffing your group.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That snare is nice if you're using sweeps. Blazing spear seems like it'll be great for outnumbered play next patch, but its weak vs mobile burst and kite builds (we will see less of those i think now). I'm going to be running both honestly.

Spc/trans is my favorite small group build b in the game. Not only do you pack a punch while taking 1, you can feel the impact you have on the other 1 or so ppl you play with.

Keep in mind if you run dw/snb you can front bar 1, back bar the other, and have 1 willpower jewelry and 1 1h weapon/ shield for 100% willpower 2pc uptime while still having 2 4pcs active at all times.

Running a willpower staff also gives 4 piece uptime 100% for both sets and allows you to run ele drain which I think is super good.
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crit source options:
    - health/mag/crit pots
    - spell power pots
    - vamps bane

Sets:
    - willpower always works, assuming your 5pc sets can activated via 5pc body, 3jewel, backbar weapons. Or you can do 4pc body 1 weapon+3 pc jewels, 1pc body and 1 weapon.
    - slotting inner light on backbar roughly equals the same bonus as willpower. SO you can equalize your stats without annoying backbar bar swap issues.
    - clever will work backbar with the 4,4 weapon setup. Most of the sets mentioned can; trans is nice because it benefits yourself while buffing your group.

Treasure hunter is great too. It's a solid set that I plan to run on certain builds and have friends who swear by it.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Running a willpower staff also gives 4 piece uptime 100% for both sets and allows you to run ele drain which I think is super good.

Yea it's even better now in murk, you're right. I don't run dw, i was just tossing you ideas. I'd definitely recommend a staff, although i don't use ele drain except in bgs or solo play. In small group i slot another aoe.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Crit source options:
    - health/mag/crit pots
    - spell power pots
    - vamps bane

Sets:

Treasure hunter is great too. It's a solid set that I plan to run on certain builds and have friends who swear by it.

Interesting. I might check it out since crit chance with a 1.9 modifer can be both defensive/offensive (and removed the need for 1 buff slot)
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Reflective Light is nice because it also snares opponents, and with the Dawn's Wrath passives it gives minor sorcery and 3 ultimate every 6 seconds. But I suspect you'll still have purifying light and maybe another Dawn's Wrath skill on your bar so those last two aren't a problem.

This is the set @casparian mentioned, new in the rewards for the worthy:
    Steadfast Hero (Heavy)
    2: Physical Resistance
    3: Spell Resistance
    4: Max Health
    5: When you cleanse a negative effect from yourself or an ally, gain Major Protection for 5 seconds, reducing your damage taken by 30%. This effect can occur once every 10 seconds.
    Definitely a contender, especially if you want to run 5-1-1 heavy. Basically 50% uptime on Major Protection, since I can't remember the last time I didn't have a negative effect on me in combat. Can easily pair that with Transmutation or Spell Power Cure for a good setup. Transmutation in particular because you can probably proc it and Steadfast Hero simultaneously. I can't really recommend Sanctuary, it just doesn't seem that helpful when battle spirit is involved.

Also don't forget the Aedric Spear passive Spear Wall has been changed to give minor protection for 3 seconds each time an ability from that line is activated.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Miralys, AD Magsorc, AR 35
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Lyranais, EP Magsorc, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine putting this set back bar with extended ritual, then on the front bar for the 2 pieces you dont need there, run Perfect Spectral Cloak so thenyou get up to 80% uptime on major protection, if you spam sweeps, you have minor protection, then you also are going to have 30% reduced AOE damage and majore expedition. Run 5 light with the new magicka BP will be plenty for recovery, go all spell damage on jewelry, and run restoring focus for stam and maybe dubious drink for even more stam. Not sure how offensive you can get but will be tankier than relying on armor or shield which will be subject to penetration and ignored by bleeds. Skoria could be used as well.

Or you probably could skip Perfect Spectral Cloak if you want to run crescent sweeps in your downtime on the new 5 piece, but I think I would want the offensive version now if I can get it to land