Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magplar PvP

• LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In an open field with no los, I don't think there is anything tankier than a magplar on his defensive bar. 1v5 and every honor crits. No other class could survive as long as a magplar on stereotypical solo builds in this kind of situation. Yes you are squishy on your front bar but a good player gets around that easily. A good magplar on back bar with the resources is immortal.

I would never put my heals on my front bar for magplar in the kind of builds I play. Not being able to block heal effectively means having to build way more crit and sustain since you will take so much damage while spamming your heals and getting no where.

Unless you are a build with hots (which is hard to build for on magplar imo), block casting is a necessity.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what reason can’t you block cast on your front bar??. Anyways, it’s been the general consensus that Templars biggest weakness is going from defense to offense but now everyone is oblivious and experts at it. Not to mention acting like canceling skills is exclusive to Templar which is besides the point. But I’ll simply remove myself from the conversation because group think is what’s wrong with the PvP community,
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what reason can’t you block cast on your front bar??. Anyways, it’s been the general consensus that Templars biggest weakness is going from defense to offense but now everyone is oblivious and experts at it. Not to mention acting like canceling skills is exclusive to Templar which is besides the point. But I’ll simply remove myself from the conversation because group think is what’s wrong with the PvP community,

These are just opinions. We aren't saying you are wrong. You can block cast front bar but I wouldn't be able to fit all the skills I think I need on my bar with honor.

You are right that that is Templar's biggest weakness but total dark helps with that a little bit and putting honor on your front bar also helps with that but comes with other drawbacks.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless youre front bar is a snb or ice staff, or youre stacking 20k stamina, you'll kill your stamina block casting htd. That's what i mean. Sure you can do it, but if i see a person blocking without snb or ice staff, i have a good feeling I'll win the stamina attrition war. Typically gg after that.
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to contribute to the poll results: I backbar HTD and I lean on dodgeroll more than block.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, acting so mighty and knowledgeable will not contribute to a healthy discussion about where the burst heal should be slotted. Arguments for slotting it on the backbar are better block mitigation, less block costs, more resistances, maybe more healing via powered trait, also maybe more magicka via the enchant on you shield. having the burst heal on the frontbar has the advantage of normally more spelldamage and crit (this one may be neglible due to the cp passive making your magicka abilities crit after blocking) and no need to bar swap.
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As pertains where your burst heal should go, I personally think it goes where ever you are most comfortable...

I've had BoL on my offense bar as well as my defensive bar; both ways work and both have pro's and con's...

Bottom line...

Where you choose to have your burst heal is strictly a matter of preference...

As long as your Magicka Templar has either BoL or HtD slotted, you have given your character a very useful ability for PvP...
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on October 17, 2018 1:22PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reason heal should go on back bar is because often times you're going to need to cleanse first. Unless you are a fan of

kRbaBBd.png
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. I am 100% behind back bar cleanse/heal/swap cancel. It may not be as efficient but the cleanse is a must, and there's no way I'm slotting that on my main bar.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

Well, acting so mighty and knowledgeable will not contribute to a healthy discussion about where the burst heal should be slotted. Arguments for slotting it on the backbar are better block mitigation, less block costs, more resistances, maybe more healing via powered trait, also maybe more magicka via the enchant on you shield. having the burst heal on the frontbar has the advantage of normally more spelldamage and crit (this one may be neglible due to the cp passive making your magicka abilities crit after blocking) and no need to bar swap.

You’re one to talk with that opening line . One of the reasons I don’t ever respond to you.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reason heal should go on back bar is because often times you're going to need to cleanse first. Unless you are a fan of

kRbaBBd.png

This is now a templar meme thread:
    2kbv8t.jpg
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deep throat/ front barred new lightning destro/ back barred alchemist/ grothdar

Sweeps, impulse, wall of ellements, blazing spear, barrage ult- cresent

Htd, focus, ritual, mist, race against time, ?????

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

What else for an aoe build.

• Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

No bats?

Crescent isn't much of an aoe...
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

No bats?

I meant to mention bats as my back bar ultimate. Next patch cresent will hit harder, dbos might be better bc of the stun though. Either way, more concerned with the skill slot, not the ultimate.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

No bats?

I meant to mention bats as my back bar ultimate. Next patch cresent will hit harder, dbos might be better bc of the stun though. Either way, more concerned with the skill slot, not the ultimate.

I am not sure, if the new blackrose destro with impulse will be strong. But if you use it, the you should go for then danwbreaker as ultimate, otherwise you are missing a stun ability. Another possibility is to go for a master lightning staff instead of blackrose. Then you could slot the destructive touch morph with the splash damage as a stun into cresent.

Batswarm or SnB ultimate for you backbar, whatever you may like better (SnB against ranged fighters is great).
    Edited by Checkmath on October 18, 2018 9:22AM
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

No bats?

I am not sure, if the new blackrose destro with impulse will be strong. But if you use it, the you should go for then danwbreaker as ultimate, otherwise you are missing a stun ability. Another possibility is to go for a master lightning staff instead of blackrose. Then you could slot the destructive touch morph with the splash damage as a stun into cresent.

Batswarm or SnB ultimate for you backbar, whatever you may like better (SnB against ranged fighters is great).

Yes I'll be testing ultimates, dbos for solo, different options for duos. Maybe I'll slot time stop or something
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Spell dmg /crit pots
    Tristat everything

No bats?

Yes I'll be testing ultimates, dbos for solo, different options for duos. Maybe I'll slot time stop or something

I always find it annoying that we are continually forced into using a stam-based ultimate because ours are so lackluster. Is the damage even there on a magplar for dbos?

That being said, time stop is absolutely stellar for an aoe build.

Also speaking of ults, eye of the storm is really good with lightning staff.
    Edited by Datolite on October 18, 2018 12:44PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is the damage even there on a magplar for dbos?

In noCP/BGs it works great. I prefer not to slot it in CP camps.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running Destro(lightning)/SnB for pvp. But the 4.2 enchant changes new interaction with rending slashes makes me want to try out Destro/DW and run a torugs-infused build, which will be especially strong in no/cp.

Lightning front bar with DW backbar for hyperoffensive setup that can make use of light attacks and can reliably land heavy attacks for sustain.

Or a DW frontbar with a frost backbar (with tri-focus passive removed so you can still block with stam).

Destro staff is non-negotiable due to the power of ele drain.

Rending slashes on magplar sounds like a hilarious gimmick, but with the pts changes to enchant procs it may be the next big thing.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on October 18, 2018 2:46PM
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rending slashes on magplar sounds like a hilarious gimmick, but with the pts changes to enchant procs it may be the next big thing.

...shhhhhhh

I've still got a gold nirnhoned set of Torugs DW in the bank from back when 2piece Torugs was a thing people did. It'll be coming out next patch.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...shhhhhhh

I've still got a gold nirnhoned set of Torugs DW in the bank from back when 2piece Torugs was a thing people did. It'll be coming out next patch.

Not meaning you specifically, but to me that's what's fundamentally wrong with ESO balance. Everyone is just hopping on to the next broken thing patch after patch.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

...shhhhhhh

Not meaning you specifically, but to me that's what's fundamentally wrong with ESO balance. Everyone is just hopping on to the next broken thing patch after patch.

I honestly have no problem being called "what's fundamentally wrong with ESO balance."

...though I've been using out-of-date stuff for a few patches, really. Only going to mess with the torugs stuff because I have the swords already...and they might be CP140, in which case I won't bother.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think if we were all hopping on the next broken thing none of us would be playing magplar as anything other than healers lol ;)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Y not just use blockade on 1 bar and reach on another, double destro.
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

3 enchants>2 enchants.

...plus an excuse to run DW magplar again.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I think if we were all hopping on the next broken thing none of us would be playing magplar as anything other than healers lol ;)

I dunno. @Solariken wrote in the Eclipse thread:
    There is a specific type of setup for magplar that is insanely OP and yes nearly unkillable. I agree it feels dirty to play and I'm pretty sure it's what has held the class back from buff/rework for so long. This type of magplar was weakened only by the speed meta. I fear we're about to see it rear it's ugly head once again.

I wouldn’t know about that though. I’m just casting BoL until I’m OOM.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

...shhhhhhh

What's fundamentally wrong is when the devs are told something will be utterly broken when it's tested on PTS and then ignore it for 6 months.
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Moving out of blockade is too easy, plus you lose out on proccing two separate Enchants since DW gives you two weapons.

Destro frontbar also means you get the elemental force passive. So you can backbar shock/frost Enchants and keep 100% uptime on minor maim and minor vulnerability on your target.
    Edited by Jimmy_The_Fixer on October 18, 2018 3:44PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a specific type of setup for magplar that is insanely OP and yes nearly unkillable. I agree it feels dirty to play and I'm pretty sure it's what has held the class back from buff/rework for so long. This type of magplar was weakened only by the speed meta. I fear we're about to see it rear it's ugly head once again.

I think its because certain magplar setups are really strong, but not as strong as certain NB/Warden/DK setups. There are strengths.

And Magplar has more flexibility than stamplar.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I think its because certain magplar setups are really strong, but not as strong as certain NB/Warden/DK setups. There are strengths.

And Magplar has more flexibility than stamplar.

Really strong indeed. IMO magplar has the greatest capacity of any class to build to not die. That's not to say however that I think magplar is the strongest spec in any other respect, because bit isn't, but it's I'm a very nice place balance-wise now though.