Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Time To Fix Heavy Armor Meta

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The culprit to heavy is the statbonus it gets imo. ZOS has managed to make health as desireable as other stats currently in the game. Which is good - generally speaking. But problematic when looking at creating optimal builds/setups.

Give light armor 1% healing done and 1% maxmagica per piece of armor worn.
    Give medium 2% maxstam per piece of armor worn.

Suddenly we have no glaring stat disparity between different armor weights which would go a long way in reducing heavy being flatout more desireable for most players.
    Edited by Derra on October 4, 2018 8:08PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    *** lmao. Heavy is only a type of survivability, its not like other games where a tank is functionally immortal but has no damage, this game has more a mix. OK, anyone who uses shields should be able to kill someone, anyone who rolls shouldn't be able to kill someone.
    See how easy it is to make blanket statements?

Light is already better for mag builds than heavy, and gets even better next patch for 3/5 mag builds. Heavy vanilla, aka for mag builds with no fancy speed buffs or high WP sets is bad as is, nerfing it blanketly is stupid. And for the most part, heavy builds are immortal, the ones that are, are useless. Bleeds/defiles/dots is possible for 7/10 specs. The problem is when they get fast and then can avoid a lot of damage whilst also being able to eat whatever hits them. Tone down that speed and you'll see exactly how weak heavy can be.

Tl;dr: L2P.

MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
    Options
  • CritsTheBed
    CritsTheBed
    ✭✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    *** lmao. Heavy is only a type of survivability, its not like other games where a tank is functionally immortal but has no damage, this game has more a mix. OK, anyone who uses shields should be able to kill someone, anyone who rolls shouldn't be able to kill someone.

Light is already better for mag builds than heavy, and gets even better next patch for 3/5 mag builds. Heavy vanilla, aka for mag builds with no fancy speed buffs or high WP sets is bad as is, nerfing it blanketly is stupid. And for the most part, heavy builds are immortal, the ones that are, are useless. Bleeds/defiles/dots is possible for 7/10 specs. The problem is when they get fast and then can avoid a lot of damage whilst also being able to eat whatever hits them. Tone down that speed and you'll see exactly how weak heavy can be.

Heavy armour mag is roughly 3% of what I am talking about. Is there a 7th/fury mag setup?
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next patch light gets the new set which gives 500 spell dmg vs a target and medium builds are already hitting 7.5k weapon damage on decent open world builds. If you don't believe me then look at the dude from Xbox who posted that nice stamplar build with clever alchemist+ravager+balorgh. Heavy can build good damage with good survivability but won't be hitting those numbers guaranteed. I have a lot of PvP builds including 1 medium stamsorc and 1 heavy stamsorc and they are both competitive builds.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
    Options
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ak_pvp wrote: »

How does light armor get better than heavy next patch with the nerfs to shields and Healing Ward? Or how does medium armor get better than heavy armor when they take away Evasion? Light armor can compete with heavy if you are Argonian and after they removed the Wrath passive, but I guess that will change again with the next update.

Considering how much light and med get nerfed this update it would be just fair to nerf heavy armor as well, or buff light and med while leaving heavy how it is.
    Edited by Ragnaroek93 on October 4, 2018 8:38PM
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
    Options
  • CritsTheBed
    CritsTheBed
    ✭✭✭✭
    Next patch light gets the new set which gives 500 spell dmg vs a target and medium builds are already hitting 7.5k weapon damage on decent open world builds. If you don't believe me then look at the dude from Xbox who posted that nice stamplar build with clever alchemist+ravager+balorgh. Heavy can build good damage with good survivability but won't be hitting those numbers guaranteed. I have a lot of PvP builds including 1 medium stamsorc and 1 heavy stamsorc and they are both competitive builds.

I can build 7.3k weapon damage in medium but all divines with very little survivability. Id be interested in a medium build that has the tankiness of heavy with that much weapon damage if youd like to share. As for the light armour 500 spell damage set, how am i supposed to stay alive running that set? shields? lol
    Options
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

As for the light armour 500 spell damage set, how am i supposed to stay alive running that set? shields? lol

It's easy: Use jewelry and weapons and go heavy armor on bodypieces :trollface:
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can build 7.3k weapon damage in medium but all divines with very little survivability. Id be interested in a medium build that has the tankiness of heavy with that much weapon damage if youd like to share. As for the light armour 500 spell damage set, how am i supposed to stay alive running that set? shields? lol

The build I mentioned with 7.5k weapon dmg is in all impen, ~20k resists. Sustain and health a bit low but still has ~33k stam I think. Very viable in a small group and will kill people quickly. As a former mSorc I can empathize with lack of survival options for light armor builds other than mDK/mNB. You won't find medium/light armor with the tankiness of heavy unless you give up all dmg sets. By the same token heavy will not hit the dmg numbers of LA/MA. I think on balance heavy is better but there are always situations where it isn't.
    PC NA

Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    Why shouldn't a Player in heavy not be able to take a person in medium or light?
    Makes no sense, are you saying that the type of armor you wear should decide a battle?
    Then should a player in medium not be able to take a player in light armor? :/

Becuase you shouldnt be able to have 25-30k resist and 30k health and do high amounts of dps to players. As of right now there is no reason not to run heavy as a dps. A heavy armor build can be over pen'ing players, everage medium and light resist is around 15k and it is EASY to get that much penetration.

Why not? Because tanks should't be able to do dmg?

lead_720_405.jpg?mod=1533691670

Do I have to explain you how that battle ended?

I agree that heavy should't be as mobile as medium or light, but by no way it should do less dmg per se
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I am at 3k pen in heavy armor and I still manage to get kills. And I play magicka.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Options
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    Just nerf the heavy dmg sets like
    Fury
    7th
    Ravager
    Veiled

Cap heavy dmg sets at 300 like rattle

Provide heavy with more utility based sets for a group instead of all these “gives ward of 2-6k value every 10-15 seconds”

Signed.
    Pretty good suggestion right there. The heavy sets is the main problem imo.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Options
  • CritsTheBed
    CritsTheBed
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Why shouldn't a Player in heavy not be able to take a person in medium or light?
    Makes no sense, are you saying that the type of armor you wear should decide a battle?

Becuase you shouldnt be able to have 25-30k resist and 30k health and do high amounts of dps to players. As of right now there is no reason not to run heavy as a dps. A heavy armor build can be over pen'ing players, everage medium and light resist is around 15k and it is EASY to get that much penetration.

I agree that heavy should't be as mobile as medium or light, but by no way it should do less dmg per se

So everybody runs stam heavy armour 2h/dw bc of way better survivability and 7k weapon damage. And I mean everybody. 100% of the population. Because why would you gimp yourself when the copy paste 7th/fury/bs heavy armour meta is a ton better?

The point is those few sets combined with heavy are overperforming AND there are 2 other less desirable weights and a ton of sets that just sit bc why use them? Were talking about BALANCE. Damage vs survivability between 3 weights of armour and out of line sets.

bal·ance
    ˈbaləns/noun: balance; plural noun: balances - condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Balance is spelled b o r i n g.
    Combat is all about upsetting the balance.
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 4, 2018 9:15PM
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the damage from heavy is fine. But I do think there needs to be a bigger tradeoff for using heavy. In the spirit of Zos's attempt to cripple speed gains, they should make it to where each piece of heavy armor reduces the amount of speed you can attain above base level. So in full 7 piece heavy, you will be unable to add any speed boosts to you character. Boundless storm, swift, etc, will all effectively be 0. But if you have only 5 pieces, maybe it cuts your possible speed boost to 10% from base. So not all of your speed buff items will be negated, but you will still be slowed by only being able to add 10% more speed to your build.
    Options
  • CritsTheBed
    CritsTheBed
    ✭✭✭✭

While i can appreciate you watching shoe commercials before heading on over to the forums, balance in pvp is important although it gets overlooked in eso a lot of the time for far too long.
    Edited by CritsTheBed on October 4, 2018 9:27PM
    Options
  • Ramber
    Ramber
    ✭✭✭✭
    there is not medium armor in pvp that cant hide as in a NB lol.... not if u run in small groups, you just get rolled.
    Options
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

Heavy healers will be fine because pen doesnt effect heals

So i loose 3k pen by going 5-2-0? :(

Anyway, heavy is strong yes cause with 7th and Fury you can get pretty decent weapon damage but 0 sustain. You need to sustain with heavy attacks. If your enemy is at least a bit competetive it just takes him a right click to delete your sustain.

I wouldnt say nerf heavy. I would say buff light and medium armor to bring them to a point where they offer more sustain and damage then heavy. Heavy should still be a viable option and not made 100% useless with your suggested Change.

Heavy armor is one of the last Tools for solo/smallscale players they can utilize to survive masses of brainless zerglings.
    Options
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HAs problem is that is really has no weakness. Anything that's built to deal with heavy armor more often than not is more effective vs. light & medium. The only HA hard counter that I'm aware of is Maces/Mauls which scale incredibly well with HA and poorly vs. light.

A significant buff to maces/mauls might be enough to reign in HA to an acceptable degree.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While i can appreciate you watching shoe commercials before heading on over to the forums, balance in pvp is important although it gets overlooked in eso a lot of the time for far too long.

At least I am not barefoot! :p
    There has never been a PvP game that was any fun that was totally balanced.
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 4, 2018 9:37PM
    Options
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So everybody runs stam heavy armour 2h/dw bc of way better survivability and 7k weapon damage. And I mean everybody. 100% of the population. Because why would you gimp yourself when the copy paste 7th/fury/bs heavy armour meta is a ton better?

The point is those few sets combined with heavy are overperforming AND there are 2 other less desirable weights and a ton of sets that just sit bc why use them? Were talking about BALANCE. Damage vs survivability between 3 weights of armour and out of line sets.

bal·ance
    ˈbaləns/noun: balance; plural noun: balances - condition in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.

And your approach to get balance is "nerf heavy"?

As I mentioned above, heavy should be less mobile than medium or light. But doing less dmg than medium? Do you really want to send heavy to Oblivion?
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to use heavy on werewolf. Besides that, they caused the meta with all these nerfs.

Heavy has been king for as long as I remember and I have been pvp'ing a long time. Light and medium were already nearly pushed out before update 20

You also dont HAVE to use heavy on ww. If your ww is in heavy then its a tank and shouldnt be able to kill players either.

Heavy armor is not equal to a tank, let go of that mindset.
    Edited by Qbiken on October 4, 2018 9:53PM
    Options
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its time to do something about heavy armor builds with high damage, Players in 5-7 heavy shouldnt be able to take players in light or medium armor.

A great way to do this without effecting heavy armor healer? Add to battle spirit that every piece of heavy armor after 1 reduces spell and physical pen by 3k ish

At 3k reduced pen a player wearing 5 pc of heavy will be down 15k pen and thats the average amount of penetration you can get out of heavy armor build. They wont be able to kill anything, which is how TANKS SHOULD BE . Bleed and oblivion dmg might still be a problem but this should do a decent job of fixing things.

Heavy healers will be fine because pen doesnt effect heals

The first bolded part is where I said to myself "Don't read anymore, this guy is clueless"

But I kept reading..and sure enough.. I was still disappointed.

Also i'm trying to think of a game where a Tank couldn't kill anything...Like ....

Lets see

Everquest - Tanks could kill other players
    DAOC - Tanks could kill other players
    WOW - Tanks could kill other players (and to top it off, My Warrior at the start of the game could 2 shot a Rogue with a Arcanite Reaper)
    Aion - Tanks could kill other players
    Rift - Tanks could kill other players
    Warhammer Online - Tanks could kill other players, Hell I could tank a zerg in that game
    DCUO - Tanks could again, kill other players

I mean ***..I know i'm leaving some other games out that I played but...but damn..I can't think of a single game...

now if you would of said, hey "Tanks can't kill dedicated healers solo" You would of been partially right on some of those....but nope...you went with 100% wrong.

*edit*

i could of included UO, but it didn't fit the class mold like most of these....but you could wear plate armor and you guessed it, kill other players
    Edited by Xsorus on October 4, 2018 9:57PM
    Options
  • CritsTheBed
    CritsTheBed
    ✭✭✭✭

bal·ance

And your approach to get balance is "nerf heavy"?

As I mentioned above, heavy should be less mobile than medium or light. But doing less dmg than medium? Do you really want to send heavy to Oblivion?

Yes and some heavy armour sets. Heavy armour has WAAAAY more survivability than medium or light and if youre running heavy, chances are your running 7th/fury/bs which is more damage than mag and right up there with a divines gank build. So slowing heavy down a bit wont fix much. Like Irylia said earlier, nerf the offending sets. Put some kinda of mitigation or cc immunity in med and light passives and POOF medium and light will be relevant again.
    Options
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

with too much arrogance, also the Mountain doesnt count :D the Night King is more OP prob and he is a LA user :D

also this:
    ust nerf the heavy dmg sets like
    Fury
    7th
    Ravager
    Veiled

Cap heavy dmg sets at 300 like rattle

Provide heavy with more utility based sets for a group instead of all these “gives ward of 2-6k value every 10-15 seconds”
    Edited by BigBadVolk on October 4, 2018 10:32PM
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
    Options
  • Lutallo
    Lutallo
    ✭✭✭
    My stamden in heavy can proc to 7k weapon damage, while running around rocks with 65% speed and snare immunity. Anyone who thinks this is allowed is crazy. Fun build though.
    "Rock is too OP, please nerf"
    Sincerely, Scissors.
    Options
  • Freddycruz89
    Freddycruz89
    ✭✭✭
    At this point, the only solution to the PVP nightmares is unplugging the PVP servers for good. #atleastyoutried
    Octavius Maximus, Founder of The Maester' Order
    PS4 NA. Role Player. Housing Fanatic. Part Time Achievement Hunter.
    | Princely Dawnlight Palace |
    Options
  • Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The build I mentioned with 7.5k weapon dmg is in all impen, ~20k resists. Sustain and health a bit low but still has ~33k stam I think. Very viable in a small group and will kill people quickly. As a former mSorc I can empathize with lack of survival options for light armor builds other than mDK/mNB. You won't find medium/light armor with the tankiness of heavy unless you give up all dmg sets. By the same token heavy will not hit the dmg numbers of LA/MA. I think on balance heavy is better but there are always situations where it isn't.

You must have a very good uptime on your 7.5k wpn dmg :)
    Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lutallo wrote: »
    My stamden in heavy can proc to 7k weapon damage, while running around rocks with 65% speed and snare immunity. Anyone who thinks this is allowed is crazy. Fun build though.

Only way you're hitting that high is with all dmg sets including Balorgh, berserker glyph up, possibly even continuous attack. Your sustain is gonna suck and whoever you're fighting just has to let your Fury stacks expire every now and then. You need Balorgh to hit that so your ult isn't hitting with that damage. And again, your sustain sucks with that. Maybe with resource drain poisons you could sustain ok but then how you proccing your berserker glyph? Setup sounds clunky, too situational, and easy to run out of resources. Heavy is better than MA/LA but NOT because it hits harder.
    PC NA

Options
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have a very good uptime on your 7.5k wpn dmg :)

Hey be sure to let the heavy guy with "7k wep dmg" know too. And it's not my build.
    PC NA

Options
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the incompetence in this thread is mind boggling. Heavy armor is fine. Mark my words, medium armor will be tankier due to the given 25% reduction in aoe damage through major evasion next patch. Almost all hard hitting abilities are AOE exclusive.

Instead of being mindless tools following some herd master, and yelling the same exact things he says "Nerf Heavy Armor!", why not improve medium armor and light armor further. For instance, get rid of that useless sneak passive in the medium armor passive tree and replace it with let's say: reduce cost by x% for ultimates. Or increase stam/magicka recovery while sprinting. In that same line of thought, you could do the same for light armor in terms of buffing passives.

Stop being tools and asking for nerfs. Think for just a moment: Do you really expect ZOS to do exactly what you want in the manner you asked? And if they did, do you really believe they have the capability to implement that thought/idea correctly into the game. Track record shows that no, ZOS definitely doesn't know how to properly implement new game combat mechanics without severely hindering others. Also, don't think that asking for a nerf keeps you immune from ZOS' treatment. A nerf today, will only result in your skills/build being nerfed tomorrow.
    Edited by Kronuxx on October 4, 2018 10:59PM
    Options