The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magplar PvP

• TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccmedaddy wrote: »
    Of course you don't need BoL for survival when you spend most of your time in Cyrodil in Mist Form. :trollface:

LoL!!!!!

There is some truth to that...

Mist Form is one of the best escape/survival abilities in the game...

;)
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on September 21, 2018 12:06AM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
    Options
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course you don't need BoL for survival when you spend most of your time in Cyrodil in Mist Form. :trollface:

LoL!!!!!

;)

It's about the biggest crutch there is. If they removed it and stealth the PvP in this game would instantly improve.
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL!!!!!

;)

It's about the biggest crutch there is. If they removed it and stealth the PvP in this game would instantly improve.

Heresy!!!!!!!!

;,,,,;

Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

LoL!!!!!

;)

Unfortunately, mistform fills in gaps for mDK and magplar that they can't get in their class or mages guild or even psijic. On both classes, if I am getting ult bombed or need to move now there's only 1 skill that gives speed and proactive defense. Unlike stealth, mist comes at a heavy cost. It's pretty well balanced. But if I could get that function elsewhere I'd drop vamp on every toon in a hot second.

Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

LoL!!!!!

;)

Unfortunately, mistform fills in gaps for mDK and magplar that they can't get in their class or mages guild or even psijic. On both classes, if I am getting ult bombed or need to move now there's only 1 skill that gives speed and proactive defense. Unlike stealth, mist comes at a heavy cost. It's pretty well balanced. But if I could get that function elsewhere I'd drop vamp on every toon in a hot second.

100% agreed...

Some people call Mist Form a crutch; I call it necessary (especially for a Magplar)....

I think I am right as pertains to this...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL!!!!!

;)

I've been maining magplar without it for 2 years. It's an easy 'oh sh*t' button, for sure, but not necessary. For magdk that might be a different story...

Still, with Acceleration and Swift now there's no excuse. Magplars can drop that easy button and play legit.
    Options
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All these juicy changes and magicka Pirates set are making me want to re-purpose my magplar from ranged back to melee.
    I'm thinking lightning destro/resto but dw is also on the table. With the blazing spears buff, nova and a WoE, you could set yourself up a very nice area of denial in domination BGs.

How are people feeling about Race Against Time for magplar? Ive not got round to trying it yet.
    EDIT: just saw the posts above discussing it!
    Edited by LukosCreyden on September 21, 2018 10:10AM
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
    Options
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find my self rotating between race against time and mist as can't make my mind up which I prefer
    Edited by Syiccal on September 21, 2018 2:21PM
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these juicy changes and magicka Pirates set are making me want to re-purpose my magplar from ranged back to melee.
    I'm thinking lightning destro/resto but dw is also on the table. With the blazing spears buff, nova and a WoE, you could set yourself up a very nice area of denial in domination BGs.

How are people feeling about Race Against Time for magplar? Ive not got round to trying it yet.
    EDIT: just saw the posts above discussing it!

Yea if you aren't vamp, race against time with 2h is needed. Lots of other people put speed pots, but honestly you loseout on tri pot, health/mag/crit pots, or immovable health mag pots which are much better for your survivaln or to help maintain buffs to freeup bar space.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Race Against Time when solo. It helps win fights, rather than just stopping me from losing them.

I like Mistform in group play. It helps me get back to group and stay alive--and I don't need to eke out every last bit of damage in order to secure wins when I've got a few pals.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL!!!!!

;)

I've been maining magplar without it for 2 years. It's an easy 'oh sh*t' button, for sure, but not necessary. For magdk that might be a different story...

Still, with Acceleration and Swift now there's no excuse. Magplars can drop that easy button and play legit.

But nowadays you can go:

Swift x3...
    Elusive Mist...
    Spectre's Eye...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Wild Running...
    Mighty Chudan...

And make Mist Form insanely difficult to kill....

:wink:
    Edited by TheDoomsdayMonster on September 21, 2018 12:31PM
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running lightning/2h and melee mostly so debating going 1h shield or frost staff to replace lightning. feel like I'm going to need to block or dodge more, so I'd go with 1h and shield if I'm going to run restoring focus next patch. Might be too much to get my blocking from the same pool as sprinting with race against time while relying on restoring focus. I suppose with frost staff and 2her, I'd have a choice which resource I need to use.

Running 5l 2h Skoria, shackle, transmutation. Tristat food, and spell power pots on an Argonian. Blood spawn is possible if crescent sweep works out. Fast ultimate could make up for lack of skoria burst and give me more stam and armor.

Sitting at 15k stam, 20k health (outside Cyrodiil) 35k magicka. Spell damage is sitting kind of low at around 2200 with weapon damage a little more unbuffed on 2h bar. Just over 1800 magic recovery make me hesitate losing channel focus but it is Argonian and I'm chugging pots.

Need to get some transmute stones to swift my jewelry yet so will be a little gimped for a while but will run magplar in group first a while anyway to get used to it from stamplar again.
    Edited by technohic on September 21, 2018 1:03PM
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    Race against time+FM > Mist form.
    Edited by PickleRick on September 21, 2018 1:21PM
    Come on, flip the pickle, Morty, you're not gonna regret it. The payoff is huge. I turned myself into a pickle, Morty! Boom! Big reveal! I'm a pickle! What do you think about that? I turned myself into a pickle! W-w-what are you just staring at me for, bro, I turned myself into a pickle, Morty.
    Options
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PickleRick wrote: »

Maybe...

But 75% mitigation is really, really, strong...

If I'm outnumbered, give me Mist Form over RaT/FM....
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In a tight situation you need to either:

a) Activate Race Against Time, activate Forward Momentum, make sure you have a speed buff up (drink a speed pot if not on cooldown, which means you're not using an optimal pot with better traits), and then sprint away while still taking full damage from any attacks and still vulnerable to CC's.

or

b) Mist form away.

Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    Synozeer wrote: »

a) Activate Race Against Time, activate Forward Momentum, make sure you have a speed buff up (drink a speed pot if not on cooldown, which means you're not using an optimal pot with better traits), and then sprint away while still taking full damage from any attacks and still vulnerable to CC's.

or

b) Mist form away.

because you can't dodge roll?

speed pots have 100% uptime, dodge cancel a FM and a quick sprint to LoS is gonna mitigate as much damage as mist form or at least close. It also unties you from vamp, which mitigates 20% damage from every single Dawnbreaker

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436928/not-a-bomber-a-magika-templar-build-for-the-current-meta

here's my build, lemme know what you guys think. I ultimately decided that meditate is more valuable than Race against time since its stupid broken OP
    Edited by PickleRick on September 21, 2018 3:11PM
    Come on, flip the pickle, Morty, you're not gonna regret it. The payoff is huge. I turned myself into a pickle, Morty! Boom! Big reveal! I'm a pickle! What do you think about that? I turned myself into a pickle! W-w-what are you just staring at me for, bro, I turned myself into a pickle, Morty.
    Options
  • Mister_DMC
    Mister_DMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LoL!!!!!

;)

But nowadays you can go:

Swift x3...
    Elusive Mist...
    Spectre's Eye...
    Accelerating Drain...
    Wild Running...
    Mighty Chudan...

And make Mist Form insanely difficult to kill....

:wink:

You're not wrong, I mostly ignore you as it's not worth my time trying to kill you.

As a side note I'm not sure if the major evasion changes are a Nerf or a buff to you...
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

speed pots have 100% uptime, dodge cancel a FM and a quick sprint to LoS is gonna mitigate as much damage as mist form or at least close. It also unties you from vamp, which mitigates 20% damage from every single Dawnbreaker

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436928/not-a-bomber-a-magika-templar-build-for-the-current-meta

here's my build, lemme know what you guys think. I ultimately decided that meditate is more valuable than Race against time since its stupid broken OP

Well then I could add another step into a) dodge roll, using up stamina as well. ;) Don't forget that FM requires you to use 2H, so that limits your build choices, along with using two slots for FM and Race against Time compared to one with Mistform.

Also, there are no good magicka speed pots compared to other pots you could be using like immovable/health/magicka, tripots, etc.

Taking extra damage as vamp does suck, but you also have the Undeath passive which will also reduce all damage when you start to get low on health, helping to counteract that. Plus the Devouring Swarm ultimate is one of the best for a Magplar so by not going vamp you're losing out on that.

Edited by Synozeer on September 21, 2018 3:50PM

...and many more.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

How's the stam management on using dodge+FM frequently? Especially on a build without amberplasm/shackle/trifood?

The offensive stats look fine fine, ofc, but it looks like it would have a rough time fighting anyone who is religious about CC application.
    Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t think vamp has been that vital for magplar for quite some time. Mist form is nice but if you don’t solo or small group it’s most likely a wasted skill in your bar and even in small groups the lack of mobility isn’t as noticeable as it is playing solo.

Vamp adds mitigation although it can be a bit redundant in this defensive/utility meta. More than enough forms of mitigation at your disposal outside of vamp. As far as mobility and repositioning there’s also more than enough making it easier to drop vamp.

It’s important to know how to pick your fights and be aware of your surroundings on magplar. Know when to reposition and when “repositioning” is just delaying the inevitable.
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

How's the stam management on using dodge+FM frequently? Especially on a build without amberplasm/shackle/trifood?

The offensive stats look fine fine, ofc, but it looks like it would have a rough time fighting anyone who is religious about CC application.

You just kite them. We have meditate and use speed+stam+immov pots(idk why you're shitting on these like they're not amazing on magplar @Synozeer )we also have 2h heavy attacks, resourceful, and constitution. The stam sustain on this build is a total non-issue and the damage with Balorgh and Exploiter and Concussion is absolutely insane. Kiting actually has insane synergy with the magplar toolkit because your offense is only effective in a small area so we're doing what we can to maximize that, if someone is putting too much CC pressure you just leave, get los, pop meditate and look for a choke to kite into.
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t think vamp has been that vital for magplar for quite some time. Mist form is nice but if you don’t solo or small group it’s most likely a wasted skill in your bar and even in small groups the lack of mobility isn’t as noticeable as it is playing solo.

Vamp adds mitigation although it can be a bit redundant in this defensive/utility meta. More than enough forms of mitigation at your disposal outside of vamp. As far as mobility and repositioning there’s also more than enough making it easier to drop vamp.

It’s important to know how to pick your fights and be aware of your surroundings on magplar. Know when to reposition and when “repositioning” is just delaying the inevitable.

I mainly solo or small man, so Mistform is a must for me. The bigger your group, the less important it or any kind of evasion is. You can run pretty much anything in a large group and it really won't matter as long as you have a few key skills.

...and many more.
    Options
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

You just kite them. We have meditate and use speed+stam+immov pots(idk why you're shitting on these like they're not amazing on magplar @Synozeer )we also have 2h heavy attacks, resourceful, and constitution. The stam sustain on this build is a total non-issue and the damage with Balorgh and Exploiter and Concussion is absolutely insane. Kiting actually has insane synergy with the magplar toolkit because your offense is only effective in a small area so we're doing what we can to maximize that, if someone is putting too much CC pressure you just leave, get los, pop meditate and look for a choke to kite into.

Good point, I was thinking of pots I use with Mistform - that is a decent one for kiting. My personal preference is I like to have magicka on my pots (I use health/mag/immov) since Argonian will give me all three stats and with immovable active I won't be using my stam often since I won't be CC breaking or sprinting.

...and many more.
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Speed pot choices are pretty limited. Stam/speed/immov or speed/lingering health. Any others worth mentioning? Lingering health can work well with Troll King.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Speed pot choices are pretty limited. Stam/speed/immov or speed/lingering health. Any others worth mentioning? Lingering health can work well with Troll King.

Those are the only two of value.

Speed+Mag+Immovable/crit would be a nice addition
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

Not one is shitting on anywhere here. All templars engage is honest discussion :P.

What works for Synozeer doesn't work for most people. Just like how race against time isn't the best for other people.

Keep in mind next patch that will alter this discussion:
    - LA gets 20% snare reduction and 15% sprint cost reduction on 5 light.
    - magplar can use restoring rune since he/she can use ele drain with atro/tri food for mag sustain. I think LA got buffed a little for the sustain as well.
    - cost poisons now 10% instead of 30%
    - Shields reduces dmg that scales off resists/impen/mitigation first. Live is doing only minor maim/percentage mitigation but not crit resists or armor. (shield into mist will be OP nice or shield into FM with troll king on heavy armor)

Maybe we can dodge roll into FM now, but that's a huge stam drain for certain builds. Also wastes 2 bar slots when mist only uses one for the same function. Next patch will be better since restoring rune will help us recoup some costs, like how channeled focus works for mist form. Swift + FM is basically the same thing as mist form; both have 30% speed and both remove all snares just one has more max stats than the other but with introduction of mag bone pirate, the difference between the two will possibly be just preference (or if you want bats/accelerating drain lol).
    Edited by Minno on September 21, 2018 4:52PM
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

or

b) Mist form away.

Not one is shitting on anywhere here. All templars engage is honest discussion :P.

What works for Synozeer doesn't work for most people. Just like how race against time isn't the best for other people.

- magplar can use restoring rune since he/she can use ele drain with atro/tri food for mag sustain. I think LA got buffed a little for the sustain as well.
    - Shields reduces dmg that scales off resists/impen/mitigation first. Live is doing only minor maim/percentage mitigation but not crit resists or armor. (shield into mist will be OP nice or shield into FM with troll king on heavy armor)

Maybe we can dodge roll into FM now, but that's a huge stam drain for certain builds. Also wastes 2 bar slots when mist only uses one for the same function. Next patch will be better since restoring rune will help us recoup some costs, like how channeled focus works for mist form. Swift + FM is basically the same thing as mist form; both have 30% speed and both remove all snares just one has more max stats than the other but with introduction of mag bone pirate, the difference between the two will possibly be just preference (or if you want bats/accelerating drain lol).

Just a colloquialism, not being literal. I just think a lot of people sleep on Speed+Stam+Immovable pots on Magplar, particularly Argonian where they can give you most of the stam sustain you need in your build.

The light armor buffs are nice, but I think they really shine on a Mag Warden who also has native snare resistance and I’m not saying light armor isn’t and won’t be good on Magplar. I just don’t like it for the type of fights I’m usually in open world
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

You just kite them. We have meditate and use speed+stam+immov pots(idk why you're shitting on these like they're not amazing on magplar Synozeer )we also have 2h heavy attacks, resourceful, and constitution. The stam sustain on this build is a total non-issue and the damage with Balorgh and Exploiter and Concussion is absolutely insane. Kiting actually has insane synergy with the magplar toolkit because your offense is only effective in a small area so we're doing what we can to maximize that, if someone is putting too much CC pressure you just leave, get los, pop meditate and look for a choke to kite into.

Forgot about 2H heavies, those are nice. That's one thing I miss from DW magplar is the stam sustain from heavies--don't get that on destro/resto.
    Options
  • PickleRick
    PickleRick
    ✭✭✭

or

b) Mist form away.

You just kite them. We have meditate and use speed+stam+immov pots(idk why you're shitting on these like they're not amazing on magplar Synozeer )we also have 2h heavy attacks, resourceful, and constitution. The stam sustain on this build is a total non-issue and the damage with Balorgh and Exploiter and Concussion is absolutely insane. Kiting actually has insane synergy with the magplar toolkit because your offense is only effective in a small area so we're doing what we can to maximize that, if someone is putting too much CC pressure you just leave, get los, pop meditate and look for a choke to kite into.

Forgot about 2H heavies, those are nice. That's one thing I miss from DW magplar is the stam sustain from heavies--don't get that on destro/resto.

I try to weave them in when I can, it’s not enough to radically change my sustain needs but it is a nice little bonus that basically unlocks a free dodge roll or CC break or the ability to quickly sprint to LoS and Meditate.

For me, Meditate is the true god send because it can really allow you to reset while people are chasing you, just dip around a rock for a second.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

or

b) Mist form away.

Just a colloquialism, not being literal. I just think a lot of people sleep on Speed+Stam+Immovable pots on Magplar, particularly Argonian where they can give you most of the stam sustain you need in your build.

The light armor buffs are nice, but I think they really shine on a Mag Warden who also has native snare resistance and I’m not saying light armor isn’t and won’t be good on Magplar. I just don’t like it for the type of fights I’m usually in open world

I think the LA snare reduction is multiplicative with warden, isnt it? I think I remember reading they don't like that passive because it doesnt really work with sets like ranger gait because it isnt being additive? Someone will need to correct me. Still, movement, in a game being billed as fast responsive combat, should be a given and I am glad the past few patches have alleviate that line drawn between "oh im stuck in concrete" and "bullet train to LOS".

I like the crit/health/mag pots. I miss out of the vamp bane dot, but get the mini heal of the tri pot for much cheaper pots. Buying 100 of each of those mats is much cheaper than trying to get 100 of the other more expensive mats. If only magplar could get a SD or SC/speed/mag pot like stamina can lol
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options