Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Size of Summerset

red_emu
red_emu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I'm sure a lot of you have seen this:
15227693803440.png
nice

If the white areas next to it is Auridon, then I don't know about you but to me it seems like the 'bigger than Morrowind chapter' is smaller than Auridon? Which is one of the smaller zones in the game?

In comparison, an official map:

latest?cb=20130219002308

So my question is... WHAT HA-HA-HAPPENED?
PC - EU:
Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
Falathren - AD StamSorc
Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    15227693803440.png
    nice

If the white areas next to it is Auridon, then I don't know about you but to me it seems like the 'bigger than Morrowind chapter' is smaller than Auridon? Which is one of the smaller zones in the game?

latest?cb=20130219002308

That's actually a fan-map to my knowledge.

Personally, I'm much more concerned with the derivative, bland art and lore direction they're taking with Summerset than the size, but I do see your point. We were promised a larger play-space than Vvardenfell. Size isn't everything, but it does count for something, especially when the developers tell you one thing and do another.

It's become increasingly clear that this expansion had to be cut in some way for time or resources. Note how, on the official map, each of the cities looks noticeable unique, with different buildings-styles from what we see in-game.

summerset-map.jpg

I honestly think they just ran out of time and had to throw this all together, with one environment, identical cities, a smaller space etc.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 4:39PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Hmmm...we don't have time to complete this content before deadline."

"Mountains. Make half unexplorable."
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on April 3, 2018 4:40PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Another map (I believe this one is official)

obcodex_summerset_isles.jpg
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • TelvanniWizard
      TelvanniWizard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Disappointing. Red mountain 2.0.
    • Pops_ND_Irish
      Pops_ND_Irish
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Its not even out yet geez
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      MoTeets wrote: »

Do you honestly believe that they will redesign the entire map for the chapter to deliver what was promised? All I'm saying is that it looks tiny. There is a lot of official and fan art maps and all of them depict Auridon as maybe 1/5 in size compared to Summerset Isle. I'm not saying size is everything but so far everything that's been shown is breaking every single piece of lore we have of the Summerset Isles!
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • Pops_ND_Irish
      Pops_ND_Irish
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Dont buy it then, save yourself the disapponitment !
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Dont buy it then, save yourself the disapponitment !

Too late. I pre-ordered the second it was available to pre-order :lol:
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • Pops_ND_Irish
      Pops_ND_Irish
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Good so did I ! I wont be disappointed
    • Synthwavius
      Synthwavius
      ✭✭✭✭
      aka GTA 5 with huge mountains and underwater empty space.

They can always say it's bigger than Morrowind because more content, more delves.
      Edited by Synthwavius on April 3, 2018 4:53PM
    • Darkonflare15
      Darkonflare15
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you honestly believe that they will redesign the entire map for the chapter to deliver what was promised? All I'm saying is that it looks tiny. There is a lot of official and fan art maps and all of them depict Auridon as maybe 1/5 in size compared to Summerset Isle. I'm not saying size is everything but so far everything that's been shown is breaking every single piece of lore we have of the Summerset Isles!

You cannot break something that has not been realise to now. That like me finding big foot and find out it looks nothing like what we heard of before. This is not right you should look like what other people says it looks like. Sounds ridiculous.
    • rotaugen454
      rotaugen454
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      All I want to know is, if I start a pint of beer while at the southern end and begin riding my horse north, will I be able to finish the beer before I hit the northern end?
      "Get off my lawn!"
    • Radinyn
      Radinyn
      ✭✭✭✭✭

15227693803440.png
      nice

latest?cb=20130219002308

And your source that these areas are unexplorable? Because I think so? Because I like to spam weird things on the forum even before release?

There's entire city covered with these red lines!

Even crystal tower (zos said it playes important role in the main quest) is under red lines. Wtf bro.
      Edited by Radinyn on April 3, 2018 5:13PM
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Using the in game map Summerset is about 2.5 times bigger than Auridon possibly more. If they dont have time to fit all the content in and have to use fillers like mountain ranges to make the usable map shorter, i rather they didnt. I rather they take another 3 months and do it right and add a bit more to the price and give us a quality zone then some half assed zone to meet some deadline they set for themselves. I would perfectly understand if this chapter was released later because of bigger/more content.

I dont want the same garbage with got we battlegrounds. Where they say how great it is but its really the same arena reskinned a half dozen times.

To get back on track they could release a smaller(and cheaper) chapter next year. Every chapter doesnt have to bigger than the last, for me anyway. I value quality over quantity and running around a big mountain that takes up 60% of the map and reduces the usable zone to the size Grahtwood just seems like snake oil salesman policy to me. Make people think they are getting something they arent. " Oh its a huge zone" and then players cant use most of it.
      Edited by Anotherone773 on April 3, 2018 5:12PM
    • jedtb16_ESO
      jedtb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      All I want to know is, if I start a pint of beer while at the southern end and begin riding my horse north, will I be able to finish the beer before I hit the northern end?

depends on two factors...

1) the velocity of your horse.

2) how fast you drink.
    • TelvanniWizard
      TelvanniWizard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

A pint of Guinness only lasts me for the duration of the journey between Davon´s Watch and Ebonheart (on a fully trained horse) ;)
    • Ahzek
      Ahzek
      ✭✭✭✭✭

depends on two factors...

1) the velocity of your horse.

2) how fast you drink.

3) how much you drank beforehand
      Jo'Khaljor
    • ZOS_Edward
      ZOS_Edward
      Community Rep
      Hey all,

Gina cleared up a bit of this over here:
      15227693803440.png
      nice

Not sure where this image came from (the red parts, that is) but just want to call out this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area.
      Staff Post
    • psychotrip
      psychotrip
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ZOS_Edward wrote: »
      Hey all,

15227693803440.png
      nice

Not sure where this image came from (the red parts, that is) but just want to call out this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area.

"this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area."

Could you give an indication of the size of the playable area? Is it much bigger than what was shown in the OP, or just slightly? I can't really tell based on the word choices used here. Thanks!
      Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 6:33PM
      No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I wasn't really pointing out the red area. My point was that summerset isle seems to have shrunk a bit compared to what has been depicted on the maps in the past. It looks far away now from Auridon and small. I will still enjoy the game immensely. I am a huge fanboy of Altmer and anything to do with High Elves, but it seems like first the architecture is different than what we imagined, now the island was in a dryer for a bit too long. I hope that this is the end of surprises like that. I mean, what's next? Whole cities of buildings you can't enter?
      Edited by red_emu on April 3, 2018 6:56PM
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • SGT_Wolfe101st
      SGT_Wolfe101st
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      psychotrip wrote: »
      Hey all,

15227693803440.png
      nice

"this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area."

Could you give an indication of the size of the playable area? Is it much bigger than what was shown in the OP, or just slightly? I can't really tell based on the word choices used here. Thanks!

I saw the same words you bolded and thought the same thing. So its basically accurate. As in you can't go to these areas but there is a public dungeon in one of the areas and the trial in the other. In ZoS speak that is playable area, in reality we want to be able to explore those areas. It being some "other" areas isn't the same as being playable/exploreable.
      PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
      Nord - MagDK - Tank
      High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
      Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Radinyn wrote: »

15227693803440.png
      nice

latest?cb=20130219002308

And your source that these areas are unexplorable? Because I think so? Because I like to spam weird things on the forum even before release?

There's entire city covered with these red lines!

Even crystal tower (zos said it playes important role in the main quest) is under red lines. Wtf bro.

I believe I have the right to put out a question out there about discrepancies in geography of Summerset. If you feel like this is spamming the forums, please feel free to report the thread to the moderator.
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • jazsper77
      jazsper77
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Don’t waste your breathe on these forums. You well get the same defenders who will say Vvardenfell is bigger then Orsinium.
      Well most of us know the Truth to that.
    • Aliyavana
      Aliyavana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      jazsper77 wrote: »
      Don’t waste your breathe on these forums. You well get the same defenders who will say Vvardenfell is bigger then Orsinium.
      Well most of us know the Truth to that.

vvardenfell is bigger than orsinium, but orsinium actually has more content to do in relation to its size and most of the space is actually usefull, unlike vvardenfeel which has much blank space
    • Geroken777
      Geroken777
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hey all,

15227693803440.png
      nice

As others have mentioned, is this another platitude?
      Edited by Geroken777 on April 3, 2018 7:22PM
      The self-righteous shall choke on their sanctimony.
    • Moloch1514
      Moloch1514
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hey all,

15227693803440.png
      nice

Seems to be just vague enough.....so this isnt 100% accurate, but could be 99% accurate and she wouldn't be lying.
      PC-NA
    • Recremen
      Recremen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I mean for one thing you can clearly see that they're including ENTIRE CITIES in the red "unplayable" zones. So fake news right off the bat. And second does anyone want to take the time to make some exaggerated versions of existing zone maps that highlight the unplayable areas? It's trivial to look at a map of Greenshade or wherever and get mad on purpose, but nobody seems to want to bring those places up in these conversations. Maybe it's because those zones were completely fine despite having large unplayable areas, and everyone knows it?
      Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
      Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    • Moloch1514
      Moloch1514
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Recremen wrote: »
      I mean for one thing you can clearly see that they're including ENTIRE CITIES in the red "unplayable" zones. So fake news right off the bat. And second does anyone want to take the time to make some exaggerated versions of existing zone maps that highlight the unplayable areas? It's trivial to look at a map of Greenshade or wherever and get mad on purpose, but nobody seems to want to bring those places up in these conversations. Maybe it's because those zones were completely fine despite having large unplayable areas, and everyone knows it?

The OG zones came as a package deal when buying the game. Now we pay that price again for 1 zone annually. It is fair to expect more for our $ in this 1 new zone.
      PC-NA
    • psychotrip
      psychotrip
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Recremen wrote: »

Which city is included in the red zones? I'm squinting my eyes but I can't tell what you mean. Do you mean Cloudrest? Because that's a trial and not part of the overworld.

Either way, the OP doesn't care about the red zones. Ignore them. He was merely trying to compare the size of Summerset to Auridon, which you can see in the map.
      Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 7:33PM

• xbobx
      xbobx
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hey all,

15227693803440.png
      nice

sorry, but you guys cant be trusted anymore.
    This discussion has been closed.