Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Size of Summerset

• red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    Faulgor wrote: »
    ASXYnjP.jpg
    As stated before. I didn't put the red lines there. I came across this image in another thread and what jumped out at me is the size in comparison with Auridon.
    d29Ftwb.jpg
    If you look at this picture you can see that Summerset and Auridon coastlines and islands sizes match. So ZOS Psijics didn't shrink Summerset.
    And indirectly we can judge about size of playable zone on surface of Summerset by wayshrines count.
    Vvardenfell 15 wayshrines
    HkERaWG.jpg
    Auridon 10 wayshrines
    ukYXsuw.jpg
    Summerset 10-11 wayshrines according to image in this article
    "I quickly used the crown shop to get my riding speed and endurance to 60/60, then I rode out to explore everything, yeah!"
    7G1Rxjl.png

Thank you so much for your post. I haven't seen this map before. That clears up a lot for me. Thread went a bit off topic with people saying I hate ZOS. Well, I don't. I express my opinion as a long term ES fan and will support ESO for as long as it exists.

However if the dark green areas in the map are mostly inaccessible, then the zone is really really small. As someone mentioned before, it resembles Clockwork City. But at least CC was incredibly beautiful and new. From what I've seen before, a lot of the assets on Summerset are copy pasted from 2014 Auridon.

Almost none of the assets are copy and pasted from the videos we've seen. New buldongs, new rocks, new trees, new furniture, etc.

And of course it's bigger than CWC, and even Auridon. Vvardenfell was 53% bigger than Orsinium, even with the inaccessible areas discounted. Summerset will be similar.

I really really really hope and pray you are right!
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    ZOS_Edward wrote: »
    Hey all,

Gina cleared up a bit of this over here:
    15227693803440.png
    nice

Not sure where this image came from (the red parts, that is) but just want to call out this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area.

"this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area."

Could you give an indication of the size of the playable area? Is it much bigger than what was shown in the OP, or just slightly? I can't really tell based on the word choices used here. Thanks!

Well at least two of those areas marked red have cities/trial on them or built into the mountain range there. Playstation Underground has a video up right now that actually shows the map. Id take anything where players are claiming to know where you can and cant go with a grain of salt until its on the PTS.
    Edited by Korah_Eaglecry on April 4, 2018 7:09AM
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASXYnjP.jpg
    As stated before. I didn't put the red lines there. I came across this image in another thread and what jumped out at me is the size in comparison with Auridon.
    d29Ftwb.jpg
    If you look at this picture you can see that Summerset and Auridon coastlines and islands sizes match. So ZOS Psijics didn't shrink Summerset.
    And indirectly we can judge about size of playable zone on surface of Summerset by wayshrines count.
    HkERaWG.jpg
    Auridon 10 wayshrines
    ukYXsuw.jpg
    "I quickly used the crown shop to get my riding speed and endurance to 60/60, then I rode out to explore everything, yeah!"
    7G1Rxjl.png

Thank you so much for your post. I haven't seen this map before. That clears up a lot for me. Thread went a bit off topic with people saying I hate ZOS. Well, I don't. I express my opinion as a long term ES fan and will support ESO for as long as it exists.

However if the dark green areas in the map are mostly inaccessible, then the zone is really really small. As someone mentioned before, it resembles Clockwork City. But at least CC was incredibly beautiful and new. From what I've seen before, a lot of the assets on Summerset are copy pasted from 2014 Auridon.

Almost none of the assets are copy and pasted from the videos we've seen. New buldongs, new rocks, new trees, new furniture, etc.

And of course it's bigger than CWC, and even Auridon. Vvardenfell was 53% bigger than Orsinium, even with the inaccessible areas discounted. Summerset will be similar.

I really really really hope and pray you are right!

You don't need to pray. You can already see from the map that it's a huge zone, even with all the inaccessible areas.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 4, 2018 7:12AM
  • MeltyLotus
    MeltyLotus
    ✭✭✭
    There could be a lot of caves running through them.

Tbh this game is missing the rock climbing and well Assassin's Creed style climbing that would be fun.

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    Recremen wrote: »
    I mean for one thing you can clearly see that they're including ENTIRE CITIES in the red "unplayable" zones. So fake news right off the bat. And second does anyone want to take the time to make some exaggerated versions of existing zone maps that highlight the unplayable areas? It's trivial to look at a map of Greenshade or wherever and get mad on purpose, but nobody seems to want to bring those places up in these conversations. Maybe it's because those zones were completely fine despite having large unplayable areas, and everyone knows it?

Which city is included in the red zones? I'm squinting my eyes but I can't tell what you mean. Do you mean Cloudrest? Because that's a trial and not part of the overworld.

Either way, the OP doesn't care about the red zones. Ignore them. He was merely trying to compare the size of Summerset to Auridon, which you can see in the map.

Dont act like you dont see Alinor right there. Youve been the biggest detractor to this Chapter since its announcement. Including you pointing out Summerset artwork as "proof of being lazy".
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not expect to see the thread so soon,but I am not surprised. I've heard and read the stories or similar predictions before.Most of the them were either wrong or inaccurate.

The Map is an illusion. Unwise to judge or get upset before the official release.

*Reads through some of the comments*

Ungratefulness,Greed,Negativity. Matters not on how or what they fashion at all in the end of the ballad.

Shameful and sorrofwul it is.

Edited by Vanya on April 4, 2018 10:51AM
  • Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Hurbster wrote: »
    How big is the Psijic order island ? We have to add that as well.

DLC zone size

Haha, good one :D

This is the Psijic island:
    4g8jTax.jpg

EDIT:
    You also see it here on the physical Collector's Edition map:
    DUKp5Q1.png
    So Artaeum (the Psijic island) is basically the size of a city.

Edited by Okiir on April 4, 2018 10:56AM
  • XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »
    I did not expect to see the thread so soon,but I am not surprised. I've heard and stories and similar predictions before.Most of the them were either wrong or inaccurate.

The Map is an illusion. Unwise to judge or get upset before the official release.

*Read through some of the comments*

Ungratefulness,Greed,Negativity. Matters not on how or what they fashion.

Watch video in this thread. They traveled from one coast of the island to another very fast, so map of the surface of Summerset is small. Hopefully they fill it with good and interesting content.
    And so far i counted 12 wayshrines on surface of the main island.
    Edited by XomRhoK on April 4, 2018 8:33AM
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vanya wrote: »
    I did not expect to see the thread so soon,but I am not surprised. I've heard and stories and similar predictions before.Most of the them were either wrong or inaccurate.

*Read through some of the comments*

Ungratefulness,Greed,Negativity. Matters not on how or what they fashion.

Watch video in this thread. They traveled from one coast of the island to another very fast, so map of the surface of Summerset is small. Hopefully they fill it with good and interesting content.
    And so far i counted 12 wayshrines on surface of the main island.

If you watch the first few minutes of that video, the player character runs (doesn't sprint) for about 1 minute and already covered nearly half the zone from starting town to middle of the island, so I would expect the area to be the size of Khernartis Roost at most. I still love the fact we are going to the home of the Altmer but they could do soooo much with it. They could let their imaginations go wild and make something grand that would stand out in the canon. Instead they went with this...
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    look at this map guys

SumComposite2.jpg?width=702&height=702

dark colors is unavalialble territories?
    Edited by ClockworkCityBugs on April 4, 2018 9:56AM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't you seen the video where the person is walking (not sprinting, not riding) from Shimmerene to Alinor in 2 minutes ? Summerset is very small from what I see, better believe.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    Haven't you seen the video where the person is walking (not sprinting, not riding) from Shimmerene to Alinor in 2 minutes ? Summerset is very small from what I see, better believe.

Haven't seen it, can you provide a link?

If that's true, it does seem to be too small indeed.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Seraphayel
      Seraphayel
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ASXYnjP.jpg
      d29Ftwb.jpg
      HkERaWG.jpg
      Auridon 10 wayshrines
      ukYXsuw.jpg
      7G1Rxjl.png

Almost none of the assets are copy and pasted from the videos we've seen. New buldings, new rocks, new trees, new furniture, etc.

Doesn't matter if it's bigger when you can't access 1/3 of it.

Summerset just seems like a major let down when it comes to size and content.

Guess what, I'm not surprised.
      PS5
      EU
      Aldmeri Dominion
      - Khajiit Arcanist -
    • WhiteCoatSyndrome
      WhiteCoatSyndrome
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      They could just make it so that when you cross an invisible boundary it loads a different section of the zone. Or they could of separated it into "nonofficial" North, East, South, West zones that for playing purposes would be zoned but for lore purposes would be like saying Vulkhel Guard is in south Auridon.

They wouldn't even have to make it unofficial. They could have made the north half one zone, the south another, Artaeum the third, and then plastered 'THREE NEW ZONES in the upcoming Chapter!!!' all over their promotional materials.
      #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
      A useful explanation for how RNG works
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Several gameplay videos have now surfaced, and I can say that it looks really stunning, once again the art team delivers, despite all the acid posts here comparing it to disneyland castles.

The quality is definitely there, and I think they have made it as great looking as they could, with the constraints of an online MMO.

However, that said, I also see that the map looks quite small, especially the playable areas. The boasting of the largest map ever in ESO, doesn't really seem to hold water. This looks just like a typical base game zone to me. 2 larger cities, 2 public dungs, a handful delves and world bosses and a trial.

I do prefer quality over quantity, but seeing as we have to pay big money for these chapters as well as ESO+, I do feel like you're scraping the minimum of content that should be available with a chapter.

We'll just have to see how many dailies and quests and other stuff there is in this chapter. At least we get another guild to join and another skill line.
    • Rosveen
      Rosveen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      ASXYnjP.jpg
      d29Ftwb.jpg
      HkERaWG.jpg
      Auridon 10 wayshrines
      ukYXsuw.jpg
      7G1Rxjl.png

Almost none of the assets are copy and pasted from the videos we've seen. New buldings, new rocks, new trees, new furniture, etc.

It's not about the size of the land. Pixel counting is such a waste of time. It's about the amount of new content. Vvardenfell had a lot of tombs scattered around pretty landscapes - but how many of these tombs could we enter and explore?

That's why it's difficult to judge new zones before they're out on PTS. We could get a small island with high content density, we could get a huge island with very sparse questgivers... You can't tell just from looking at the map.
    • WhiteCoatSyndrome
      WhiteCoatSyndrome
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      "Rosveen wrote: »
      That's why it's difficult to judge new zones before they're out on PTS. We could get a small island with high content density, we could get a huge island with very sparse questgivers... You can't tell just from looking at the map.

And it may still be difficult to judge after it's on PTS if they follow last year's procedure and make it a closed beta for the new zone.
      #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
      A useful explanation for how RNG works
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Carbonised wrote: »
      Several gameplay videos have now surfaced, and I can say that it looks really stunning, once again the art team delivers, despite all the acid posts here comparing it to disneyland castles.
      The gameplay videos from my understanding (via Chufu) were an alpha version just for demo. We don't know how much has been added to the current version ZOS has since then. Notice how none of the maps are actual maps either and just the game zone rendered.
      @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • sdtlc
      sdtlc
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm i the only one confused by the map style? Looks like a photograf and is completly of the so far style.
      Die Qualität verhält sich nicht zwingend proportional zur Masse...

Meisterangler vor dem perfekten Rogen...
      +Kaiserstadt, Wrothgar, Hew's Fluch, Goldküste, Vvardenfell, Stadt der Uhrwerke, Sommersend, Artaeum, Trübmoor, Elsweyr (nördliches & südliches), Graumoor, Reik, Dunkelforst

[PC][DC]Zunft der Helden[PvX]
      Feierabendgilde mit Ambitionen
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      sdtlc wrote: »
      I'm i the only one confused by the map style? Looks like a photograf and is completly of the so far style.
      It's not the final map, it's a pre-release rendering of the zone. I guess this is how they do it in development before art do a nice map for us.
      @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • Bam_Bam
      Bam_Bam
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      This thread lmfao. The zones as they exist in game don't actually correspond to their placement on the world map, which is easily verifiable by opening the world map and watching your little character arrow drop in the middle of the ocean. Additionally, you can't determine the size of a zone map by glancing at a screenshot because the degree to which you can zoom out is dependent on the zone's size, which is again easy to verify by comparing a starter zone to Vvard. Please pump the breaks before making these threads.

IKR? People losing their minds before they've even played and just going crazy, making wild assumptions. No wonder ZOS steers clear of the forums.
      Joined January 2014
      PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
      Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
      Lims Kragm'a
      Bam Bam Bara
    • NeroBad
      NeroBad
      ✭✭✭✭
      One thing I notice is that the white area which is Auridion is stumpy compared to the ingame map of Auridion http://www.gamemapscout.com/tes-online/auridon.html Also I remember That there was a post that Auridion is much larger then it should be according to old maps (and compared to the other zones). So yes Summerset could maybe should be bigger, but also there are some disadvantages for summerset when we compare it to Auridion and previous maps.
    • Tyrion87
      Tyrion87
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Turelus wrote: »
      The gameplay videos from my understanding (via Chufu) were an alpha version just for demo. We don't know how much has been added to the current version ZOS has since then. Notice how none of the maps are actual maps either and just the game zone rendered.

Exactly! I do believe there are more areas to be added as explorable parts of the island. From the videos we've all seen so far it is evident that it was not finished yet. E.g. I can't see Lillandril on the map in a part where it should be located (and we know the city will be explorable and it is comparable with Alinor in size). We still don't know what's up with Dusk. And the Crystal Tower: the map seems to be inaccessible where the Tower should be located (northern part). All of it leads to conclusion that the map we have seen is not meaningful for the assessment of the actual size and content of the island. And do not forget we are also getting Arteaum. People just need to calm down a bit and wait for the PTS...
      Edited by Tyrion87 on April 4, 2018 10:45AM
    • Narvuntien
      Narvuntien
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I did a quick estimate using the grid you can see over Auridon and Its at least twice as big as Auridon. That is not including the area around the crystal tower that I am sure will be accessible in some form.

• Tarrin
      Tarrin
      ✭✭✭
      I`ve made this
      Parameters: Wayshrines and roads dimensions
      GrqBlgKtNZvqRm.jpg

Edited by Tarrin on April 4, 2018 11:15AM
      Samurai without a sword
      Like a samurai with the sword
      But without the sword
    • XomRhoK
      XomRhoK
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tarrin wrote: »
      I`ve made this
      Parameters: Wayshrines and roads dimensions
      GrqBlgKtNZvqRm.jpg

All pictograms don't scale, no matter how far you zoom out or zoom in they keep their size. So, i think, the only real reference point is the roads width.
      But it looks pretty accurate.
      Edited by XomRhoK on April 4, 2018 11:35AM
    • Carbonised
      Carbonised
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Turelus wrote: »

I am aware of that, so I tried to keep my post reasonably objective and hyperbole-free :lol:

However, I do doubt that we will see fleshed out explorable lands in the mountain ranges in the north and south from now and to the PTS and release.

I mean, I do love my mountains, I live in one of the most mountaneous places in the world, and I think mountains provide excellent viewpoints and scale in a game like this. I just wish mountains were explorable zones like in Skyrim, where you can actually go up in the mountains and do things and find things, whereas mountains in ESO pretty much means "nice to look at - but off limits".

We have yet to see how much content this chapter brings as well. Vivec city was amazing, yet so many closed off doors and buildings, and the whole "still under construction" cop out. Balmora and the other smaller cities were pretty much ghost towns due to all the locked off doors, not to mention all the Dwemer and Daedric ruins that you weren't even able to enter.

PTS will show whether Summerset is better in that regard, but I remain somewhat sceptical to the amount of mountaneous locked off areas in the north and south Summerset and also on Aetaeum.
      Edited by Carbonised on April 4, 2018 12:27PM
    • psychotrip
      psychotrip
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ArchMikem wrote: »
      I understand the ENTIRE zone can't be accessible or else the memory usage would be horrendous. But still can't they make the mountains at least partially playable? Like snowy passes, little nooks and crannies where we can climb up into parts of them instead of all of it?

Hey guys...so...I just realized something:

SumComposite2.jpg?width=702&height=702
      obcodex_summerset_isles.jpg

There’s supposed to be a city where the mountains are. The city of Sunhold was replaced by those giant mountains in the southwest.

What the actual ***?

Can we all agree that they dropped the ball on this one?
      Edited by psychotrip on April 4, 2018 12:42PM
      No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
    • red_emu
      red_emu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      People say it's bigger than Vvardenfell. Ok. That seems to be true. But instead of one giant inaccessible mountain we get two giant inaccessible mountains covering about 60% of the map (at least that's what I'm guessing from the dark green zones). I could be wrong! Maybe those mountains are accessible and for the first time we will get to explore vertically. But considering the engine where a player character has to jump 20 times just pass a little pebble or a branch on the ground, I won't be holding my breath on that one.
      PC - EU:
      Falathren - AD StamSorc
      Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    • makreth
      makreth
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      So let's see if this is worth calling CHAPTER and not a wrothgar like DLC.
    This discussion has been closed.