Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Size of Summerset

• Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASXYnjP.jpg

Yeah it's compressed quite a bit in the middle, even in comparison to the current ingame map of Tamriel. Bit of a pity, but the shape's not that big of a deal if the size is fine - although it's apparently a tad smaller than Vvardenfell.

So there's the Trial around Cloudrest, the Public Dungeon of Sunhold in the southwest, the area around Dusk which could be a separate quest area, and the Crystal Tower in the north, which is either on some kind of plateau or also a quest instance. I'm hopeful that the greyed out areas won't be that big of a deal.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guess what, even when it's bigger a significant part of it will be inaccessible due to [reasons]. You can't access 30% of it but HEY it's still the biggest map they've ever done.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aka GTA 5 with huge mountains and underwater empty space.

They can always say it's bigger than Morrowind because more content, more delves.

Except the fact that Summerset has exactly the same amount of delves and public dungeons.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you been in Summerset to actually have some authority to talk about the playable land size, @red_emu?

Or is this all conjecture on your part?
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you been in Summerset to actually have some authority to talk about the playable land size, @red_emu?

Or is this all conjecture on your part?

Someone else didn't read the OP.

He's comparing the size of the map to Auridon, which can be seen next to Summerset. He didn't put the red lines there.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious about those islands to the south east and immediate west.
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I have to say, this might be the biggest let down for me. I was hoping for a massive zone, given that it's the homeland of the Elves. I'm hoping were not seeing correct ratios here.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If this is correct then its hugely dissappointing and to be honest, Gina's statement is not exactly giving me confidence that the OPs image is off by much.
    Every map of Tamriel shows Auridon at about 1/4 the size. If they are going to keep putting out small zones or dlc sized zones every year as €30 Chapters... this wont wash!!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How big is the Psijic order island ? We have to add that as well.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »
    How big is the Psijic order island ? We have to add that as well.

DLC zone size
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • SRTtoZ
    SRTtoZ
    ✭✭✭
    Is that just some early map or are they changing the look of the maps? I actually like the detail on those.
  • MagicalSociety
    MagicalSociety
    ✭✭✭
    OMG it hasn't even been released on the PTS yet... Can we hold our whining until then at the very least?
    Guild Founder of Magical Society aka @Ahlfs

Get ESO Assistant Here!

Magical Society's Discord
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As stated before. I didn't put the red lines there. I came across this image in another thread and what jumped out at me is the size in comparison with Auridon.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    ASXYnjP.jpg

Yeah it's compressed quite a bit in the middle, even in comparison to the current ingame map of Tamriel. Bit of a pity, but the shape's not that big of a deal if the size is fine - although it's apparently a tad smaller than Vvardenfell.

So there's the Trial around Cloudrest, the Public Dungeon of Sunhold in the southwest, the area around Dusk which could be a separate quest area, and the Crystal Tower in the north, which is either on some kind of plateau or also a quest instance. I'm hopeful that the greyed out areas won't be that big of a deal.

Wow...they really did put a lot of mountains in Summerset. When you really look close it's actually kind of silly. Look at the entire southwestern area. All that space for interesting cities, quests, pretty landmarks, hidden easter eggs, overtaken by mountains that...have no story or lore reason to be there as far as I can remember.

Of course size isn't everything, but I was looking forward to exploring a vast, ancient nation. They told us this would be bigger than Vvardenfell too, so even if you don't care about size you should care about this apparent deception.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 8:53PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the ENTIRE zone can't be accessible or else the memory usage would be horrendous. But still can't they make the mountains at least partially playable? Like snowy passes, little nooks and crannies where we can climb up into parts of them instead of all of it?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazsper77 wrote: »
    Don’t waste your breathe on these forums. You well get the same defenders who will say Vvardenfell is bigger then Orsinium.
    Well most of us know the Truth to that.
    I still remember the thread where someone proved Vvardenfell was because it had more pixels. That was the best thread ever.

On a serious note though, the naysayers are going to refuse to believe things whatever is said, people just want to hate ZOS and disbelieve everything they say sometimes, regardless of if it makes sense.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have footage of Alinor or another one of the cities?
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have footage of Alinor or another one of the cities?

Yup. Here you go:
    https://youtu.be/uU-fq3T-eow?t=578
    Edited by psychotrip on April 3, 2018 9:38PM

• XomRhoK
    XomRhoK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASXYnjP.jpg
    red_emu wrote: »
    As stated before. I didn't put the red lines there. I came across this image in another thread and what jumped out at me is the size in comparison with Auridon.
    d29Ftwb.jpg
    If you look at this picture you can see that Summerset and Auridon coastlines and islands sizes match. So ZOS Psijics didn't shrink Summerset.
    And indirectly we can judge about size of playable zone on surface of Summerset by wayshrines count.
    Vvardenfell 15 wayshrines
    HkERaWG.jpg
    Auridon 10 wayshrines
    ukYXsuw.jpg
    Summerset 10-11 wayshrines according to image in this article
    "I quickly used the crown shop to get my riding speed and endurance to 60/60, then I rode out to explore everything, yeah!"
    7G1Rxjl.png

• Robby94
    Robby94
    ✭✭✭
    look at hews bane and compare it with stros mkai, look at playable area in both and their size on the map. the overall tamriel map isn't to scale with the in game zones.
    Auridons a big zone, the summerset isle was never going to be twice its size no matter how much we wanted it. it would have taken too long to fill with quests and npcs without seeming empty. if you look at the gdc video the town looks like a ghost town.

Iv pre-ordered the chapter because i like the game but im worried that after i complete the quests that i probably wont go back, atleast morrowind gave us battlegrounds and a new class to play. So far Summerset is just a new Big(ish) dlc zone. hopefully the dailies and crafting stations are enough to populate the zone so it doesn't feel as empty as most the dlc zones at present.
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    If this is correct then its hugely dissappointing and to be honest, Gina's statement is not exactly giving me confidence that the OPs image is off by much.
    Every map of Tamriel shows Auridon at about 1/4 the size. If they are going to keep putting out small zones or dlc sized zones every year as €30 Chapters... this wont wash!!

I fully agree and hope that what is shown is not correct :/ It looks like a rather tiny area, similar in size as clockwork city.
  • ThumbtackJake
    ThumbtackJake
    ✭✭✭
    XomRhoK wrote: »
    7G1Rxjl.png

Gods that looks awfully small.
    Edited by ThumbtackJake on April 3, 2018 11:07PM
    Long term filthy casual.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So despite the actual map size being larger than anything yet, about half of that is ocean and about a third of the remainder is inaccessible mountain. :D Typical.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "See that mountain? You can climb it." - not ZOS, probably
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So despite the actual map size being larger than anything yet, about half of that is ocean and about a third of the remainder is inaccessible mountain. :D Typical.

Yeah, I'm definitely disappointed after seeing the map (I was defending the zone size before).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 4, 2018 6:33AM
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    "See that mountain? You can climb it." - not ZOS, probably

Hmm... Perhaps could this mountains be an epic outdoors space, full of little and dangerous paths, caves, and adventures? Will we get a new enviroment, "mountain", added to the auridon feel in the plains? Will ZOS give us something new and unique? Peaks, hidden paths, awesome viewsfrom atop the mountains, valleys, riverlands, hideouts, secluded monasteries...
    No. But it would be awesome.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I understand the ENTIRE zone can't be accessible or else the memory usage would be horrendous. But still can't they make the mountains at least partially playable? Like snowy passes, little nooks and crannies where we can climb up into parts of them instead of all of it?

They could just make it so that when you cross an invisible boundary it loads a different section of the zone. Or they could of separated it into "nonofficial" North, East, South, West zones that for playing purposes would be zoned but for lore purposes would be like saying Vulkhel Guard is in south Auridon.

But its easier to just fill it full of mountains and then claim a big map size that about 50% of isnt accessible. I noticed the devs in ESO REALLY love to do everything the easiest way possible....aka half ass it. Its almost like its homework to them. They do just enough for it to be considered complete/done and not a bit more.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ASXYnjP.jpg
    d29Ftwb.jpg
    If you look at this picture you can see that Summerset and Auridon coastlines and islands sizes match. So ZOS Psijics didn't shrink Summerset.
    And indirectly we can judge about size of playable zone on surface of Summerset by wayshrines count.
    HkERaWG.jpg
    Auridon 10 wayshrines
    ukYXsuw.jpg
    "I quickly used the crown shop to get my riding speed and endurance to 60/60, then I rode out to explore everything, yeah!"
    7G1Rxjl.png

Thank you so much for your post. I haven't seen this map before. That clears up a lot for me. Thread went a bit off topic with people saying I hate ZOS. Well, I don't. I express my opinion as a long term ES fan and will support ESO for as long as it exists.

However if the dark green areas in the map are mostly inaccessible, then the zone is really really small. As someone mentioned before, it resembles Clockwork City. But at least CC was incredibly beautiful and new. From what I've seen before, a lot of the assets on Summerset are copy pasted from 2014 Auridon.
    Edited by red_emu on April 4, 2018 6:51AM
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • platonicidealgirlfriend
    This thread lmfao. The zones as they exist in game don't actually correspond to their placement on the world map, which is easily verifiable by opening the world map and watching your little character arrow drop in the middle of the ocean. Additionally, you can't determine the size of a zone map by glancing at a screenshot because the degree to which you can zoom out is dependent on the zone's size, which is again easy to verify by comparing a starter zone to Vvard. Please pump the breaks before making these threads.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ASXYnjP.jpg
    d29Ftwb.jpg
    HkERaWG.jpg
    Auridon 10 wayshrines
    ukYXsuw.jpg
    7G1Rxjl.png

Thank you so much for your post. I haven't seen this map before. That clears up a lot for me. Thread went a bit off topic with people saying I hate ZOS. Well, I don't. I express my opinion as a long term ES fan and will support ESO for as long as it exists.

However if the dark green areas in the map are mostly inaccessible, then the zone is really really small. As someone mentioned before, it resembles Clockwork City. But at least CC was incredibly beautiful and new. From what I've seen before, a lot of the assets on Summerset are copy pasted from 2014 Auridon.

Almost none of the assets are copy and pasted from the videos we've seen. New buldings, new rocks, new trees, new furniture, etc.

And of course it's bigger than CWC, and even Auridon. Vvardenfell was 53% bigger than Orsinium, even with the inaccessible areas discounted. Summerset will be similar.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on April 4, 2018 7:10AM
This discussion has been closed.