The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Size of Summerset

• grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to wanna expect amazing stuff from a game I love and know is capable of extremely awesome things. I so hated that vvardenfel felt like it was missing halfi ts content. Constantly running into locked doors and finding ruins and tombs in knocks and crannies and not being able to enter it was very sad to me and really hurt the expansion in the end .
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    So long as the content is enjoyable. They have to churn these expansions out every 12 months which is an incredibly short time-span by MMO standards, and that's on top of an additional explorable location in-between each expansion (Clockwork City was fairly substantial all things considered).

I agree it's definitely not very "Elder Scrolls" to have impassable terrain like this and Red Mountain, but so much of ESO isn't very "Elder Scrolls" that you kinda have to look at it as above-average fan fiction and put up with the incorrect architecture, smaller than expected zones, impassable areas, and enjoy the parts of the game they do incredibly well (the core gameplay loops). Wait until either Bethesda or a capable mod team tackle Summerset with TES6's engine for an accurate representation.

If you compare ESO expansions ("Chapters") to expansions of other MMORPGs you'll quickly see that the average Chapter offers 1/3 (more like 1/5) of a competitor's expansion (FFXIV, WoW or GW2 for example) but you have to pay the same price for it. On top of that you get new zones that aren't even entirely explorable due to [reasons]. And on top of that a new "expansion" doesn't even come with new dungeons, no, you have to pay for them three months later in a so called "dungeon DLC".

Excuse me but everybody who doesn't think this approach might sooner or later be a problem is a bit delusional. And now they're selling "Chapters" as DLC because... it always has been a DLC but they renamed it to squeeze even more money out of it.

I love ESO but nobody should defend this shady sales practice.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BACK IN MY DAY EXPANSION HAD A NEW CONTINENT RACE MULTIPLE LEVEL INCREASES EPIC WEAPONS RAID ZONES LIZARD PEOPLE CAMPING 20 HOURS TONS OF DUNGEONS AND ITEMS NEW TRADESKILLS AND NO WEB GUIDE!
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    So long as the content is enjoyable. They have to churn these expansions out every 12 months which is an incredibly short time-span by MMO standards, and that's on top of an additional explorable location in-between each expansion (Clockwork City was fairly substantial all things considered).

I agree it's definitely not very "Elder Scrolls" to have impassable terrain like this and Red Mountain, but so much of ESO isn't very "Elder Scrolls" that you kinda have to look at it as above-average fan fiction and put up with the incorrect architecture, smaller than expected zones, impassable areas, and enjoy the parts of the game they do incredibly well (the core gameplay loops). Wait until either Bethesda or a capable mod team tackle Summerset with TES6's engine for an accurate representation.

If you compare ESO expansions ("Chapters") to expansions of other MMORPGs you'll quickly see that the average Chapter offers 1/3 (more like 1/5) of a competitor's expansion (FFXIV, WoW or GW2 for example) but you have to pay the same price for it. On top of that you get new zones that aren't even entirely explorable due to [reasons]. And on top of that a new "expansion" doesn't even come with new dungeons, no, you have to pay for them three months later in a so called "dungeon DLC".

Excuse me but everybody who doesn't think this approach might sooner or later be a problem is a bit delusional. And now they're selling "Chapters" as DLC because... it always has been a DLC but they renamed it to squeeze even more money out of it.

I love ESO but nobody should defend this shady sales practice.
    karekiz wrote: »
    BACK IN MY DAY EXPANSION HAD A NEW CONTINENT RACE MULTIPLE LEVEL INCREASES EPIC WEAPONS RAID ZONES LIZARD PEOPLE CAMPING 20 HOURS TONS OF DUNGEONS AND ITEMS NEW TRADESKILLS AND NO WEB GUIDE!

The difference in quality between these two posts is like a microcosm of internet forums :D
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why you even care of the size
    Cyrodiil is largest map in ESO and all it causes are cancer and diabetes
    PC EU

• ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm OK with large areas of the map being inaccessible, on the theory that this gives them real estate to fill in down the road. Not saying that this is their MO ('cuz I can't read minds!), but if _I_ were in their shoes. I would draw the map as big as possible, then have certain areas unreachable or blocked off or otherwise inaccessible (just as they are in the main game) for the specific purpose of giving myself room to expand down the road.

A game like this... I would be thinking a decade ahead. If it were me.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Esquirel
    Esquirel
    ✭✭
    I am pretty new to the game and a 2nd class "Vestige" to boot being able to access ESO exclusively via Steam. ;)

I started out in Vvardenfell. The island seemed huge at first. I explored every nook and cranny and opened all the wayshrines with my non-leveled mount.

Result: + Vivec City and Balmora.
    The rest: Lava and shroom PTSD and a "Fly over State" without a flying mount.

I pre-ordered Summerset for the jewelry crafting and new skill line and am absolutely ok with my decision.

My expectations for the new island: + a few cities.
    For the rest I expect the same as Vvard: "Fly over State" without a flying mount.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    why you even care of the size
    Cyrodiil is largest map in ESO and all it causes are cancer and diabetes

Because Zenimax told us one thing, and seems to be doing something else.

It's that simple.
    I'm OK with large areas of the map being inaccessible, on the theory that this gives them real estate to fill in down the road. Not saying that this is their MO ('cuz I can't read minds!), but if _I_ were in their shoes. I would draw the map as big as possible, then have certain areas unreachable or blocked off or otherwise inaccessible (just as they are in the main game) for the specific purpose of giving myself room to expand down the road.

A game like this... I would be thinking a decade ahead. If it were me.

If they were only letting us access a small portion of Summerset (scaled to a size larger than Vvardenfell as they promised) then I would have literally no problem with this. Instead, they put mountains where future content should be. Unless they plan on "transcription error-ing" the mountains too.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • DoctorESO
    DoctorESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I want to know is, if I start a pint of beer while at the southern end and begin riding my horse north, will I be able to finish the beer before I hit the northern end?

That depends on how fast you drink.
  • Blacknight841
    Blacknight841
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *** Note ***
    Shaded red areas will be playable for those that sign up for ESO PLUS SUPER! Coming later this year with four times the bank/inventory space. It will be available for 100 Septims, which can be acquired by refining Crown Gems obtained from crown crates, purchased with crowns.
    Edited by Blacknight841 on April 7, 2018 8:20PM
  • JJBoomer
    JJBoomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said that I was disappointed by the size of Summerset.

I want to officially take it back. While I did want the Elven capital island to be grandiose in size and presence, the more I learn about the content, the more excited I get. And with the possibility of future gorgeous Summerset homes, I am very excited. All my elf toons are very excited to go home.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Nestor @starkerealm can either of you guys elaborate on the size of the main city (alinor i belive?) In comparison to say orsinium.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly can't. I spent most of my time exploring outside of the towns.
  • Nelson_Rebel
    Nelson_Rebel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summrset is almost exactly the size of Cyrodill.

If its even smaller by 30% it's just pure developer laziness by graying out entire portions with mountains unexplorable
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I honestly can't. I spent most of my time exploring outside of the towns.

I see. Thanks
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Summrset is almost exactly the size of Cyrodill.

If its even smaller by 30% it's just pure developer laziness by graying out entire portions with mountains unexplorable

"The size of Cyrodiil with the amount of content like Auridon." Nice!
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 8, 2018 11:01AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    @Nestor @starkerealm can either of you guys elaborate on the size of the main city (alinor i belive?) In comparison to say orsinium.

@exeeter702

Hmm, I would say at least as big, but in area to do things, larger. There is even more vertical to Alinor. Also, the other cities I visited were of a good size too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xbobx wrote: »
    ZOS_Edward wrote: »
    Hey all,

Gina cleared up a bit of this over here:
    15227693803440.png
    nice

Not sure where this image came from (the red parts, that is) but just want to call out this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area.

sorry, but you guys cant be trusted anymore.

Typical.....:=/

However it turns out a few things are for certain.

No matter how much content we get it will never be enough
    It will always be called a rip off unless it is given away for free and includes a $100.00 rebate
    It will always be described as Cringe-worthy, toxic and cancerous, unless it's skyrim and even then it will be called a pale imitation of the best most wonderful game ever created in the history of the multiverse.

And even if Zenimax became a NPO that donated 100% of their assets to feeding armless one eyed orphans, they will still be called a evil greedy megacorp, by the perpetually outraged.

But you can bet money that those who are morally and ethically outraged will tell you how much they are morally and ethically outraged 24/7...forever while they are rubing their hand in anticipation of the servers closing. And on that day, the exact same people will say "How could this happen???? This was the best game eva!!!!"

And will spend the following ten years making tribute videos and signing petitions for ESO's return.

It's typical internet silliness and means absolutely nothing.
    Edited by Rain_Greyraven on April 25, 2018 7:52PM
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

15227693803440.png
    nice

Not sure where this image came from (the red parts, that is) but just want to call out this isn't completely accurate and is not an exact representation of the playable area.

It will always be called a rip off unless it is given away for free and includes a $100.00 rebate
    It will always be described as Cringe-worthy, toxic and cancerous, unless it's skyrim and even then it will be a pale imitation of the best most wonderful game ever created in the history of the multiverse.

And even if Zenimax became a NPO that donated 100% of their assets to feeding armless one eyed orphans, they will still be called a evil greedy megacorp, by the perpetually outraged.

But you can bet money that those who are morally and ethically outraged will tell you how much they are morally and ethically outraged 24/7...forever while they are rubing their hand in anticipation of the servers closing. And on that day, the exact same people will say "How could this happen???? This was the best game eva!!!!"

And will spend the following ten years making tribute videos and signing petitions for ESO's return.

Typically people complain if they feel if product are not worth it. The people praises orsinimum , are same people complaining summerset. Deal with it. Its company future at stake. Customers always run towards whom they think provide better . Gaming customers are not fools and should not be taken for granted.

"It's typical internet silliness and means absolutely nothing" . When people written off ZOs similar to rockstar and put bad mouthing everywhere in internet and its abolutely nothing ?

Wont ZOs & Bethesda dont want to sell their next game & need customers to preorder or close the business after ESO ?
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on April 30, 2018 1:41PM
  • Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

15227693803440.png
    nice

It will always be described as Cringe-worthy, toxic and cancerous, unless it's skyrim and even then it will be a pale imitation of the best most wonderful game ever created in the history of the multiverse.

Typically people complain if they feel if product are not worth it. The people praises orsinimum , are same people complaining summerset. Deal with it. Its company future at stake. Customers always run towards whom they think provide better . Gaming customers are not fools and should not be taken for granted.

"It's typical internet silliness and means absolutely nothing" . When people written off ZOs similar to rockstar and put bad mouthing everywhere in internet and its abolutely nothing ?

Wont ZOs & Bethesda dont to want to sell their next game /need customers to preorder and close the business after ESO ?

Can someone please translate this for me??
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    a visual guide for those not really able to understand the concerns, these are the two zones scaled to equal proportions (based on the size of towns)
    Jhalin wrote: »
    After scaling the maps based on town size, the world map should display Summerset about 25% smaller than it's currently being shown

1: The world map with direct overlays. The visual scale discrepancies are pretty clear here
    tumblr_p7h2qrOib81wq1mxoo2_540.png

2: checking town sizes and scale discrepancies, included all beachfront and docks for the towns sizing. Based on PTS experience, the Summerset towns are the same size or smaller than Skywatch in horizontal space taken, Summerset towns have much more verticality and winding corridors.
    tumblr_p7h2qrOib81wq1mxoo3_540.png

3: scaled summerset zone based on town sizes. Even very forgiving size references show a major problem in how the zone was designed.
    tumblr_p7h2qrOib81wq1mxoo1_540.png

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alinor is as big as Auridon! Amazing!
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

15227693803440.png
    nice

Wont ZOs & Bethesda dont to want to sell their next game /need customers to preorder or close the business after ESO ?

Can someone please translate this for me??

No translation required. Its simple English. I am sure you are not from one of the player community. No one wants to waste time. Everyone understood whats said.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all,

15227693803440.png
    nice

It will always be described as Cringe-worthy, toxic and cancerous, unless it's skyrim and even then it will be called a pale imitation of the best most wonderful game ever created in the history of the multiverse.

You’re being deliberately obtuse here and you're missing the point entirely. It's getting a bit silly to have to repeat this:

Zenimax told us this would be the largest zone they've ever released.

It is not.

It's that simple.

• yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty damning, and if the only defence is I would do the same thing and charge you the same again further down the road because we didn't actually go into specifics and only made vague promises then we already entered the self-flagellation zone. I am going to guess these blank zones are going to be for huge casinos where you can gamble crowns all day long.
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we've removed a few non constructive/baiting comments. This is a reminder that posts should adhere to our forum rules and contain something that contributes to the conversation. This does not include personal insults or comments trying to start an argument. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • WhoSlappedThePie
    WhoSlappedThePie
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    Greetings, we've removed a few non constructive/baiting comments. This is a reminder that posts should adhere to our forum rules and contain something that contributes to the conversation. This does not include personal insults or comments trying to start an argument. Thank you for your understanding.

Can't you respond to the majority vibe of the comments here then regarding the size ?
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop."

Current Toons (Max CP):
    Magsorc Breton
    Magblade Darkelf
    Stam DK Redguard
    Healer Templar High Elf
    Tank DK Argonian
    Stamblade Redguard

Completed: vHoF | vMoL | vSO | vSO HM | vAA | vAA HM | vHR | vHR HM | vMA | vDSA
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't you respond to the majority vibe of the comments here then regarding the size ?

Don’t expect a response and don’t blame the mods. They have no control over company statements. We need someone like @ZOS_GinaBruno to respond to this, but after her last statement it may be “smarter” for ZOS to ignore this problem and hope it goes away.

• FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »

Don’t expect a response and don’t blame the mods. They have no control over company statements. We need someone like @ZOS_GinaBruno to respond to this, but after her last statement it may be “smarter” for ZOS to ignore this problem and hope it goes away.

Lie, hook then hide well played ZOS
  • lihentian
    lihentian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this expansion remind me a song called "cut every corner"
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6VaymcNH7mo

p.s. summerset expansion definitely isn't cheap, especially when compare with all it's competitor eg wow, gw2. Same price while only offer 1/5~1/10 of the content other games has to offer.. and now they are cutting every corner for the little content they have to offer.. really disappointed
This discussion has been closed.