The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Size of Summerset

• Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care how big the map is.

As long as it's filled with content and doesn't have unaccessible volcano-like areas, it will be good enough.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    There’s supposed to be a city where the mountains are. The city of Sunhold was replaced by those giant mountains in the southwest.

What the actual ***?

Can we all agree that they dropped the ball on this one?
    Sunhold is one of the Public Dungeons. I'm more curious what happened to Dusk.

Carbonised wrote: »
    whereas mountains in ESO pretty much means "nice to look at - but off limits"
    If only. Compared to the mountains in say, the Falkreath Hold dungeon or City of Ash II, Summerset's mountains look like 2002.
    Edited by Faulgor on April 4, 2018 1:34PM
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Rosveen wrote: »
    That's why it's difficult to judge new zones before they're out on PTS. We could get a small island with high content density, we could get a huge island with very sparse questgivers... You can't tell just from looking at the map.

And it may still be difficult to judge after it's on PTS if they follow last year's procedure and make it a closed beta for the new zone.

And like last year, it will eventually come out that the content is far more sparse than what they implied. If thats true, theyll have another negative PR situation on their hands.

I totally understand being skeptical of ZOS due to their past actions and claims. But jumping the gun before we have our hands on the content and we know what is and isnt true is not going to do us any favors. We as a community really need to learn to stop putting so much hype into content months ahead of its announcement and reveal. Only to be burned by our own expectations when ZOS doesnt meet it out right.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I don't care how big the map is.

As long as it's filled with content and doesn't have unaccessible volcano-like areas, it will be good enough.

It won't. I know that, you know that, we all know that. And that's a huge let down. Giving us a gigantic zone but being too lazy to make it accessible or fill it with content. I am just disappointed.

Morrowind was supposed to offer 30 hours of story content. I finished the story within 15 hours without skipping anything, reading all texts. Summerset is another pseudo 30 hours of content.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 4, 2018 3:22PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's why it's difficult to judge new zones before they're out on PTS. We could get a small island with high content density, we could get a huge island with very sparse questgivers... You can't tell just from looking at the map.

And it may still be difficult to judge after it's on PTS if they follow last year's procedure and make it a closed beta for the new zone.

And like last year, it will eventually come out that the content is far more sparse than what they implied. If thats true, theyll have another negative PR situation on their hands.

I totally understand being skeptical of ZOS due to their past actions and claims. But jumping the gun before we have our hands on the content and we know what is and isnt true is not going to do us any favors. We as a community really need to learn to stop putting so much hype into content months ahead of its announcement and reveal. Only to be burned by our own expectations when ZOS doesnt meet it out right.

No, no, no... It isn't about delivering what we expected, it's about delivering what they said they would deliver and then it comes out half baked, flat and burnt on the edges.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    People say it's bigger than Vvardenfell. Ok. That seems to be true. But instead of one giant inaccessible mountain we get two giant inaccessible mountains covering about 60% of the map (at least that's what I'm guessing from the dark green zones). I could be wrong! Maybe those mountains are accessible and for the first time we will get to explore vertically. But considering the engine where a player character has to jump 20 times just pass a little pebble or a branch on the ground, I won't be holding my breath on that one.

Considering one of the mountains is where the city of Sunhold is supposed to be, I doubt we'll be able to explore there. Unless they just retconned the city itself, and replace it with a few mountain paths. I'm not sure which would be worse.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    I mean for one thing you can clearly see that they're including ENTIRE CITIES in the red "unplayable" zones. So fake news right off the bat. And second does anyone want to take the time to make some exaggerated versions of existing zone maps that highlight the unplayable areas? It's trivial to look at a map of Greenshade or wherever and get mad on purpose, but nobody seems to want to bring those places up in these conversations. Maybe it's because those zones were completely fine despite having large unplayable areas, and everyone knows it?

Which city is included in the red zones? I'm squinting my eyes but I can't tell what you mean. Do you mean Cloudrest? Because that's a trial and not part of the overworld.

Either way, the OP doesn't care about the red zones. Ignore them. He was merely trying to compare the size of Summerset to Auridon, which you can see in the map.

Dont act like you dont see Alinor right there. Youve been the biggest detractor to this Chapter since its announcement. Including you pointing out Summerset artwork as "proof of being lazy".

Jeez, man. Calm down a bit. I may be taking this stuff too seriously but I'm not attacking people. I was looking for a town icon, so I didn't see the white underneath the mountain. You're 100% right and I'm 100% wrong. Just lighten up a bit.

That being said, it does seem like Sunhold was replaced with mountains, unless I'm just being blind again.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean for one thing you can clearly see that they're including ENTIRE CITIES in the red "unplayable" zones. So fake news right off the bat. And second does anyone want to take the time to make some exaggerated versions of existing zone maps that highlight the unplayable areas? It's trivial to look at a map of Greenshade or wherever and get mad on purpose, but nobody seems to want to bring those places up in these conversations. Maybe it's because those zones were completely fine despite having large unplayable areas, and everyone knows it?

Which city is included in the red zones? I'm squinting my eyes but I can't tell what you mean. Do you mean Cloudrest? Because that's a trial and not part of the overworld.

Either way, the OP doesn't care about the red zones. Ignore them. He was merely trying to compare the size of Summerset to Auridon, which you can see in the map.

Dont act like you dont see Alinor right there. Youve been the biggest detractor to this Chapter since its announcement. Including you pointing out Summerset artwork as "proof of being lazy".

Jeez, man. Calm down a bit. I may be taking this stuff too seriously but I'm not attacking people. I was looking for a town icon, so I didn't see the white underneath the mountain. You're 100% right and I'm 100% wrong. Just lighten up a bit.

That being said, it does seem like Sunhold was replaced with mountains, unless I'm just being blind again.

Probably another transcription error. Imperial explorers just made up those cities as well as all the architecture and what the land looks like.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay 39.99 for the base game + Morrowind + Summerset, The Warden and Psijic Skill Line.

Even with the size of Summerset I am happy.

If I could play, 1 week and ZOS can not fix the problem with entitlements.
    Edited by Chicharron on April 4, 2018 5:14PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, no, no... It isn't about delivering what we expected, it's about delivering what they said they would deliver and then it comes out half baked, flat and burnt on the edges.

This is the crux of the issue. They said one thing, and it looks like they're doing another.

• CatastrophicSuccess
    Based on the size of the cities on most of these pictures and the game play trailer showing these cities in game this honestly looks pretty huge. The icons definitively throw off the scale a bit though.

PC NA - CP 1000+

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Varrandenset 2.0

The....sky is gonna fall.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably another transcription error. Imperial explorers just made up those cities as well as all the architecture and what the land looks like.

I know this is a joke, but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with this.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    karekiz wrote: »
    The....sky is gonna fall.

No, that was Craglorn's plot.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    The pre-pts testers all agree that the entire area is explorable and that it is packed with content.
  • SaucyMcSauceface
    SaucyMcSauceface
    ✭✭✭✭
    The pre-pts testers all agree that the entire area is explorable and that it is packed with content.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source that it's all explorable? Are the mountains explorable? Is Sunhold there after all? What about Dusk?
    Edited by psychotrip on April 5, 2018 3:12AM

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No they don't?

Most of them aren't even saying a bad word or negative thing about it. I'd say they're a little biased (and who can judge them about being biased? It's not even an accusation meant in a negative way, just an observation).
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 5, 2018 4:38AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source that it's all explorable? Are the mountains explorable? Is Sunhold there after all? What about Dusk?

@Nestor already confirmed that Sunhold is there. It's a public dungeon.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

@Nestor already confirmed that Sunhold is there. It's a public dungeon.
    And Cloudrest is a trial, so that's two cities that don't need to be actually explorable in the open world.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

No they don't?

Most of them aren't even saying a bad word or negative thing about it. I'd say they're a little biased (and who can judge them about being biased? It's not even an accusation meant in a negative way, just an observation).

Why would we be biased? Explain that. If you think being taken away from my home and family and using up vacation time for 4 days and a couple of dinners would make me say something that is not true, you are so far off base as to not even tell you how wrong you are.

Besides, you were not there for the 3 hours where we all told them what needed to change about the game.

Yes I am fan of the game, but everyone who spends anytime on these boards know I am not shy about criticizing it where it warrants being criticized.

Sorry that your world view of a tiny Summerset and the content sucking is not being supported, but that conjecture is simply not true.
    Edited by Nestor on April 5, 2018 9:08PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

No they don't?

Why would we be biased? Explain that. If you think being taken away from my home and family and using up vacation time for 4 days and a couple of dinners would make me say something that is not true, you are so far off base as to not even tell you how wrong you are.

Besides, you were not there for the 3 hours where we all told them what needed to change about the game.

Yes I am fan of the game, but everyone who spends anytime on these boards know I am not shy about criticizing it where it warrants being criticized.

Sorry that your world view of a tiny Summerset and the content sucking is not being supported, but that conjecture is simply not true.

You know exactly why you and the others are biased towards Summerset. I don't have to explain it here and as I said, I am not the one to judge you. It seems like you feel offended and that exactly proves my point although I never intended to offend you or anyone. I respect the work you and the others do in the forums or on other platforms. That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality. I know you can claim what you want and I can't really hold against it but I (we) can when Summerset is released and more than a bunch of guys and girls that had the privilege to visit ZOS can judge and talk about it.

Summerset is not tiny, I never said that. It's small with a lot of blocked off content. You could see that in the few videos that popped up online on Tuesday. A huge map doesn't make a huge zone. And a huge zone doesn't make it full of content.

I am just voicing my opinion, like you do. And I (and a lot of other people) are not convinced by the stuff we've seen or heard yet. An overtly positive reaction of 12 special players that visited ZOS won't change that. Reality will... but I doubt that after Vvardendell and the stuff we know about Summerset yet. But we'll see in at least 2 months if your claims are true... or a little bit embellished.

PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Radinyn
    Radinyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No they don't?

You know exactly why you and the others are biased towards Summerset. I don't have to explain it here and as I said, I am not the one to judge you. It seems like you feel offended and that exactly proves my point although I never intended to offend you or anyone. I respect the work you and the others do in the forums or on other platforms. That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality. I know you can claim what you want and I can't really hold against it but I (we) can when Summerset is released and more than a bunch of guys and girls that had the privilege to visit ZOS can judge and talk about it.

Summerset is not tiny, I never said that. It's small with a lot of blocked off content. You could see that in the few videos that popped up online on Tuesday. A huge map doesn't make a huge zone. And a huge zone doesn't make it full of content.

I am just voicing my opinion, like you do. And I (and a lot of other people) are not convinced by the stuff we've seen or heard yet. An overtly positive reaction of 12 special players that visited ZOS won't change that. Reality will... but I doubt that after Vvardendell and the stuff we know about Summerset yet. But we'll see in at least 2 months if your claims are true... or a little bit embellished.

Are you part of this whole "Orsinium was bigger" crowd?
  • MajesticHaruki
    MajesticHaruki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good thing is after Summerset , they will run out of Islands.
    PC/EU @MajThorax Sorcerer and Housing Decorator prodigy
    In my spare time I collect materials and run away from mudcrabs
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    The good thing is after Summerset , they will run out of Islands.

Well, for Chapter sized content, I suppose thats true. They've still got Solstheim and Port Telvannis left on the map for DLC sized islands, so presumably they would only change the size/layout of those for unknown reasons (i.e. Hews Bane, which is ironically larger than shown on other maps.) Unless they intend to finish off another one of the provinces for Chapter 3 and retroactively alter the size of that province if it isn't connected to any other zones in game.
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want to know is, if I start a pint of beer while at the southern end and begin riding my horse north, will I be able to finish the beer before I hit the northern end?

tenor.gif
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the negativity? I had a blast in Khenarthi's roost, very interesting and tense quests, some in the caves (not seen on the map) yet the island was/is tiny. But it was/is loaded with remarkable top content.

ESO is loaded with content, quests and all kinds of gameplays. I envy you if you had three lives to actually see and explore every one of them (not rushing and skipping like a maniac). Because for 3 years I've seen like 40% of ESO and new content keeps emerging much faster than I can explore. So technically, I won't ever be able to see everything unless ZOS stops producing new stuff (and keeping my fingers crossed they won't).
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    If this is correct then its hugely dissappointing and to be honest, Gina's statement is not exactly giving me confidence that the OPs image is off by much.
    Every map of Tamriel shows Auridon at about 1/4 the size. If they are going to keep putting out small zones or dlc sized zones every year as €30 Chapters... this wont wash!!

I'm sa
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Several gameplay videos have now surfaced, and I can say that it looks really stunning, once again the art team delivers, despite all the acid posts here comparing it to disneyland castles.

The quality is definitely there, and I think they have made it as great looking as they could, with the constraints of an online MMO.

However, that said, I also see that the map looks quite small, especially the playable areas. The boasting of the largest map ever in ESO, doesn't really seem to hold water. This looks just like a typical base game zone to me. 2 larger cities, 2 public dungs, a handful delves and world bosses and a trial.

I do prefer quality over quantity, but seeing as we have to pay big money for these chapters as well as ESO+, I do feel like you're scraping the minimum of content that should be available with a chapter.

We'll just have to see how many dailies and quests and other stuff there is in this chapter. At least we get another guild to join and another skill line.

and I would forgive all of it, for a playable GOBLIN race :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality.

OK, wait. Your insinuating that I would lie about something because they bought me a crab cake, and I am supposed to smile about it? Of course I am upset, and the only point that proves is I don't like having my integrity called into question. It does not even come close to proving your point.

Of course, the reason that not much criticism about the new content is being stated by the testers or a lot of other people in the press could be because the new content is really good. But of course you know different, because you have spent how much time playing it?

Tell you what, when the content comes out and you play it then you come back and express your opinion on it, good bad or indifferent, then we have something to talk about. Then I will respect your opinion.

As far as the size of the zone, a large part of it is only accessible by doing the story quests, and that can't be talked about. Heck I don't know how big the zone really is because in the 10 hours I spent testing the new story I did not see all there is to play. Oh, and these 10 hours were a click fest as I did not want to spoil the story for myself until it comes out. Plus that is the worst way to play content with regards to making sure the game tells players where to go next as I was not experiencing the story in a peripheral sense.

There is that "screenshot" with some red lines on it out there. If your basing your opinion on that, it has already been debunked as not accurate.

But I can see your mind is made up, and good for you, It must be nice to be so sure about something you have not experienced. And, I guess the rest of us who don't have much negative to say about it must have an agenda.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No they don't?

I don't think anyone REALLY believes you or any of the others to actually be biased.. I mean unless they offered cocaine and hookers ;) JK

I'm sure some traveled from far and wide and on an approaching holiday at that... We saw who attended, I'm grateful that you all sacrificed your time and effort to provide input.

I live in the ZOS's neighbourhood, and they coulda had me over for free to be the ignorant negative Nelly of the group... Sure there might have been fisticuffs with some on the combat design team, and far too much time spent fawning over ZEB and SCHICK, but it would have all been worth it!.... yeah, I guess I see why they lost my invite afterall ;)

I say playable GOBLIN race, GOAT mounts, and we put Gina in charge for 6 months and see what shakes out... I'd wager good things :)

Edited by QuebraRegra on April 5, 2018 10:39PM
This discussion has been closed.