The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Size of Summerset

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »
    Why the negativity? I had a blast in Khenarthi's roost, very interesting and tense quests, some in the caves (not seen on the map) yet the island was/is tiny. But it was/is loaded with remarkable top content.

ESO is loaded with content, quests and all kinds of gameplays. I envy you if you had three lives to actually see and explore every one of them (not rushing and skipping like a maniac). Because for 3 years I've seen like 40% of ESO and new content keeps emerging much faster than I can explore. So technically, I won't ever be able to see everything unless ZOS stops producing new stuff (and keeping my fingers crossed they won't).

y'know what's interesting? That STros Mkai dungeon the GRAVE with all the traps was pretty cool... It didn't really fully deliver, but I really expected more traps in dungeons after that. Lot's a cool stuffs in the starter areas... that LOTR type quest on the second DC island was pretty good too.

A lot of the PUBLIC dungeons have really interesting stories if you take the time and don't rush through. I think a lot of quality is missed with all the foot racing to get to the end.
    Edited by QuebraRegra on April 5, 2018 10:38PM
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    The good thing is after Summerset , they will run out of Islands.

Well, for Chapter sized content, I suppose thats true. They've still got Solstheim and Port Telvannis left on the map for DLC sized islands, so presumably they would only change the size/layout of those for unknown reasons (i.e. Hews Bane, which is ironically larger than shown on other maps.) Unless they intend to finish off another one of the provinces for Chapter 3 and retroactively alter the size of that province if it isn't connected to any other zones in game.

dude/sentient.. all my monies for a BLOODMOON remake for ESO!!!!! Solstheim FTW!

i'll also take a playable REIKLING/GOBLIN race, and rideable bristleback (with lance) with that chapter please... the stuffs dreams are made of! :)
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why the negativity? I had a blast in Khenarthi's roost, very interesting and tense quests, some in the caves (not seen on the map) yet the island was/is tiny. But it was/is loaded with remarkable top content.

ESO is loaded with content, quests and all kinds of gameplays. I envy you if you had three lives to actually see and explore every one of them (not rushing and skipping like a maniac). Because for 3 years I've seen like 40% of ESO and new content keeps emerging much faster than I can explore. So technically, I won't ever be able to see everything unless ZOS stops producing new stuff (and keeping my fingers crossed they won't).

y'know what's interesting? That STros Mkai dungeon the GRAVE with all the traps was pretty cool... It didn't really fully deliver, but I really expected more traps in dungeons after that. Lot's a cool stuffs in the starter areas... that LOTR type quest on the second DC island was pretty good too.

A lot of the PUBLIC dungeons have really interesting stories if you take the time and don't rush through. I think a lot of quality is missed with all the foot racing to get to the end.

We're being negative because Zenimax told us one thing, and yet it looks like they're giving us something else. It's really that simple. They told us Summerset would be much bigger than Vvardenfell, but as of now it looks like there's much less playable space. I think that's worth being a little frustrated over.
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely true. Public dungeons are wonderful, almost like a tiny-zones with lots of stuff to see and explore.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    psychotrip wrote: »
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I understand the ENTIRE zone can't be accessible or else the memory usage would be horrendous. But still can't they make the mountains at least partially playable? Like snowy passes, little nooks and crannies where we can climb up into parts of them instead of all of it?

Hey guys...so...I just realized something:

SumComposite2.jpg?width=702&height=702
    obcodex_summerset_isles.jpg

There’s supposed to be a city where the mountains are. The city of Sunhold was replaced by those giant mountains in the southwest.

What the actual ***?

Can we all agree that they dropped the ball on this one?

Are you blind, its the port city right there on the south.....I am curious as to why they made it SMALLER than auridon. That is just ridiculous. Auridon is supposed to be much smaller.
    Edited by Jade1986 on April 5, 2018 11:24PM
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    I understand the ENTIRE zone can't be accessible or else the memory usage would be horrendous. But still can't they make the mountains at least partially playable? Like snowy passes, little nooks and crannies where we can climb up into parts of them instead of all of it?

There’s supposed to be a city where the mountains are. The city of Sunhold was replaced by those giant mountains in the southwest.

What the actual ***?

Are you blind, its the port city right there on the south.....

Dude, where? I see a small port (or maybe a strip of land?) and some roads, and a bunch of mountains. The roads look just like the ones anywhere else on the isle. What I thought was a port actually leads to a small patch of mountains, making me think it's just a small strip of land. Where do you see a city?
    Edited by psychotrip on April 5, 2018 11:24PM
    No one is saying there aren't multiple interpretations of the lore, and we're not arguing that ESO did it "wrong".

We're arguing that they decided to go for the most boring, mundane, seen-before interpretation possible. Like they almost always do, unless they can ride on the coat-tails of past games.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Dude, where? I see a small port (or maybe a strip of land?) and some roads, and a bunch of mountains. The roads look just like the ones anywhere else on the isle. What I thought was a port actually leads to a small patch of mountains, making me think it's just a small strip of land. Where do you see a city?

Pretty sure that small port town is it. Sadly. But I am pretty sure it is there, unless thats Summersets umbilical chord. =P
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Pretty sure that small port town is it. Sadly. But I am pretty sure it is there, unless thats Summersets umbilical chord. =P

After looking closer, I'm positive that's just a small mountain. It has the same color and texture, and looks nothing like the other cities, which all have an identical style (since they couldn't be bothered to make more than one like they did for Morrowind).

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    The pre-pts testers all agree that the entire area is explorable and that it is packed with content.

No they don't?

Most of them aren't even saying a bad word or negative thing about it. I'd say they're a little biased (and who can judge them about being biased? It's not even an accusation meant in a negative way, just an observation).

Why would we be biased? Explain that. If you think being taken away from my home and family and using up vacation time for 4 days and a couple of dinners would make me say something that is not true, you are so far off base as to not even tell you how wrong you are.

Besides, you were not there for the 3 hours where we all told them what needed to change about the game.

Yes I am fan of the game, but everyone who spends anytime on these boards know I am not shy about criticizing it where it warrants being criticized.

Sorry that your world view of a tiny Summerset and the content sucking is not being supported, but that conjecture is simply not true.

You know exactly why you and the others are biased towards Summerset. I don't have to explain it here and as I said, I am not the one to judge you. It seems like you feel offended and that exactly proves my point although I never intended to offend you or anyone. I respect the work you and the others do in the forums or on other platforms. That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality. I know you can claim what you want and I can't really hold against it but I (we) can when Summerset is released and more than a bunch of guys and girls that had the privilege to visit ZOS can judge and talk about it.

Summerset is not tiny, I never said that. It's small with a lot of blocked off content. You could see that in the few videos that popped up online on Tuesday. A huge map doesn't make a huge zone. And a huge zone doesn't make it full of content.

I am just voicing my opinion, like you do. And I (and a lot of other people) are not convinced by the stuff we've seen or heard yet. An overtly positive reaction of 12 special players that visited ZOS won't change that. Reality will... but I doubt that after Vvardendell and the stuff we know about Summerset yet. But we'll see in at least 2 months if your claims are true... or a little bit embellished.

Are you part of this whole "Orsinium was bigger" crowd?

No, I am not. I am part of the crowd that isn't pleased by ZOS approach of creating "the biggest zone yet" where 1/3 is inaccessible, where there's barely more content than in a usual zone and on top of that costs $20-30.

By the way, Orsinium is "bigger" and offers more than Vvardenfell. And I am pretty sure it will be the same with Summerset.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well if people are willing to pay $100+ for a house, you cant really blame ZOS for not feeling pushed to deliver good value in Chapters. We as the consumers are responsible for setting that bar or at least accepting that bar by voting with our crowns. Look, im still gonna buy it cos it looks amazing but do i feel i little dissappointed that the zone clearly has a normal zone sized playable area.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality.

OK, wait. Your insinuating that I would lie about something because they bought me a crab cake, and I am supposed to smile about it? Of course I am upset, and the only point that proves is I don't like having my integrity called into question. It does not even come close to proving your point.

Wait! There were crab cakes? Mmmmm... unless it was Mudcrab cakes then noooo...
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brutal honest I have not read all the posts on this forum. Scrolling 5 pages I do not think is anyone's form of fun. lol

But this is pre-PTS, hold of the judgements till that lands, this could be a dev server, working server, a mock up server just for the youtubers to play on so some of the content for the game is a surprise/not spoiled or not even ready yet!

Plus there is the PTS cycle to go through so they might change/add stuff before it goes live...

Why are some people so quick to go negative off the bat. Just bloody wait. lol
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    Well if people are willing to pay $100+ for a house, you cant really blame ZOS for not feeling pushed to deliver good value in Chapters. We as the consumers are responsible for setting that bar or at least accepting that bar by voting with our crowns. Look, im still gonna buy it cos it looks amazing but do i feel i little dissappointed that the zone clearly has a normal zone sized playable area.

I already pre ordered the physical CE. I love TES and I love all the CEs they've done yet (the journal, the statue - amazing!). That doesn't stop me from criticizing their way of giving us DLC-sized content disguised as a payed expan... uhm "Chapter" once a year.
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    Why are some people so quick to go negative off the bat. Just bloody wait. lol

Simple explanation, Morrowind.

Promises/announcements ≠ delivered content.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 6, 2018 7:13AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shaking my head. These cynical people are trying too hard. After looking at videos that clearly show that the zone is way bigger than it looks. Saw a person actually zoom out and you clearly see the scale of the map. This map has some of the best height scaling than any other zone ingame. The walking into Alinor looks amazing. It puts Orsinum too shame. Cloudrest looks amazing. I just love the elemental wielding salamanders and Indriks. I can't wait to play.
  • NeroBad
    NeroBad
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm ussually positively biased, because if my mood turns into negative I just leave. I support those who share their opinions in a cultured way, but those who are mostly negative, then they say that they bought the chapter already I can't take them seriously sorry.

In our capitalized world money is the voting tool. And for games there is the middle ground for those who say its too expensive but still want to play it.. WAIT FOR SALES. I mean most of the times if you wait 4-6 months you can get a 30-50% discount.

If you who have serious issues with this chapter and its price, but still preorder it, I can't blame ZOS that they will continue with their policy.

I will confess I bought this chapter from a Green Man Gaming in a 20% discount (around 18EUR), because I was disappointed in the diversity of the architecture, but mostly pleased with the rest of the showed content. (Also I hate that I have to pay more then the USA altough our average wage is nearly the fifth of theirs).

So if you want big change then don't buy tell others whats wrong in a moderate way, then suggest that they should do the same.

If you want small change buy the game from official partner who sells it in a lower price. Also its good to tell why did you did that.

If you pleased then support them by buy it directly from them.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For those suggesting that everybody needs to hold their comments until PTS i would point out that past PTS iterations have shown that this stage is far too late to address issues relating to the main structure of a dlc or chapter. The PTS is for tweaking at the margins.
    Perhaps this will indeed turn out to be a massive zone. I hope it does. Perhaps the images we see were early stages and the zone has been expanded. But in the case that it is not, i think its important to try get the message across to ZOS, as early as possible, that IF this turns out to be a regular size zone (in terms of explorable area) then people will feel that value for money is not being delivered.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

The city is there. It's substantially larger than that map suggests, which is probably an artifact of how the zone is rendered (technically, the city is an interior cell, while still occupying space on the overworld map.) It's also mostly outside what that map considers a playable space, even though it is quite accessible in game.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

After looking closer, I'm positive that's just a small mountain. It has the same color and texture, and looks nothing like the other cities, which all have an identical style (since they couldn't be bothered to make more than one like they did for Morrowind).

Heres hoping it isnt! lol. : crosses fingers :
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

The city is there. It's substantially larger than that map suggests, which is probably an artifact of how the zone is rendered (technically, the city is an interior cell, while still occupying space on the overworld map.) It's also mostly outside what that map considers a playable space, even though it is quite accessible in game.

Woot! My 25 seconds of optimism paid off! xD <3
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Honestly, Sunhold was probably my favorite space on Summerset. I love that place, and it's architecture.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Honestly, Sunhold was probably my favorite space on Summerset. I love that place, and it's architecture.

I honestly cant wait, this is the first dlc i actuall pre ordered =D. If I wasnt mega poor Id order the collectors, but ya knowwww. Dat moneyz.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radinyn wrote: »
    The pre-pts testers all agree that the entire area is explorable and that it is packed with content.

No they don't?

Most of them aren't even saying a bad word or negative thing about it. I'd say they're a little biased (and who can judge them about being biased? It's not even an accusation meant in a negative way, just an observation).

Why would we be biased? Explain that. If you think being taken away from my home and family and using up vacation time for 4 days and a couple of dinners would make me say something that is not true, you are so far off base as to not even tell you how wrong you are.

Besides, you were not there for the 3 hours where we all told them what needed to change about the game.

Yes I am fan of the game, but everyone who spends anytime on these boards know I am not shy about criticizing it where it warrants being criticized.

Sorry that your world view of a tiny Summerset and the content sucking is not being supported, but that conjecture is simply not true.

You know exactly why you and the others are biased towards Summerset. I don't have to explain it here and as I said, I am not the one to judge you. It seems like you feel offended and that exactly proves my point although I never intended to offend you or anyone. I respect the work you and the others do in the forums or on other platforms. That doesn't silence me though when I feel the need to criticize or speak out.

None of the chosen ones seems to be critical about Summerset and the upcoming things. I read a minimal amount of criticism and we both know that this just isn't reflecting reality. I know you can claim what you want and I can't really hold against it but I (we) can when Summerset is released and more than a bunch of guys and girls that had the privilege to visit ZOS can judge and talk about it.

Summerset is not tiny, I never said that. It's small with a lot of blocked off content. You could see that in the few videos that popped up online on Tuesday. A huge map doesn't make a huge zone. And a huge zone doesn't make it full of content.

I am just voicing my opinion, like you do. And I (and a lot of other people) are not convinced by the stuff we've seen or heard yet. An overtly positive reaction of 12 special players that visited ZOS won't change that. Reality will... but I doubt that after Vvardendell and the stuff we know about Summerset yet. But we'll see in at least 2 months if your claims are true... or a little bit embellished.

Are you part of this whole "Orsinium was bigger" crowd?
    There's a case to be made for Orsinium feeling bigger in terms of content, which is actually easier to accomplish in a smaller zone with high content density. Take delves, for example: Vvardenfell and Summerset are much larger than regular zones, but have the same number of delves, which leads to them being more spread out and feeling rarer. Same with world bosses and public dungeons. There are no group dungeons whatsoever, which has baffled me since Morrowind, but that might just be me (we do get a new trial, admittedly).

Like I said before, the size of the zone doesn't matter. It's about how much you can do in it.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    The good thing is after Summerset , they will run out of Islands.

they would only change the size/layout of those for unknown reasons (i.e. Hews Bane, which is ironically larger than shown on other maps.) .

I noticed in the videos of the new zone they did this with summerset. its a different size and scale on the main worldmap.
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and Indriks. I can't wait to play.

THIS

I better gets me a Teleport, Lightning Coralantler, Unicorn, Moose mount.
  • psychotrip
    psychotrip
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Badass, dude! I hope you guys know I’m not being negative just to be negative. I’m very
    happy to know they didn’t just cut an entire city haha. So, you said it was your favorite zone right? Can you tell me a bit more about it? You said you loved the architecture. Is it any different from the other cities? So far all the cities they’ve publically shown feature the same style.

And for the record, even though I’ve hated almost everything I’ve seen from this expansion from a lore/artistic standpoint so far, I don’t think those of you who’ve played it and enjoyed it are being biased at all.

People can have different tastes, and while I’ll argue until the sun goes down, I’d never imply you guys are compromised in some way. That’s just something people say so they can shut out opposing viewpoints.
    Edited by psychotrip on April 6, 2018 1:48PM

• grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wanna see the CE map and the map people are pulling up to be compared.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So long as the content is enjoyable. They have to churn these expansions out every 12 months which is an incredibly short time-span by MMO standards, and that's on top of an additional explorable location in-between each expansion (Clockwork City was fairly substantial all things considered).

I agree it's definitely not very "Elder Scrolls" to have impassable terrain like this and Red Mountain, but so much of ESO isn't very "Elder Scrolls" that you kinda have to look at it as above-average fan fiction and put up with the incorrect architecture, smaller than expected zones, impassable areas, and enjoy the parts of the game they do incredibly well (the core gameplay loops). Wait until either Bethesda or a capable mod team tackle Summerset with TES6's engine for an accurate representation.
    Edited by Darkstorne on April 6, 2018 5:15PM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am laughing a bit that this is an emotional topic. I'll wait until I see how it feels in the actual zone.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What the actual ***?

Badass, dude! I hope you guys know I’m not being negative just to be negative. I’m very
    happy to know they didn’t just cut an entire city haha. So, you said it was your favorite zone right? Can you tell me a bit more about it? You said you loved the architecture. Is it any different from the other cities? So far all the cities they’ve publically shown feature the same style.

And for the record, even though I’ve hated almost everything I’ve seen from this expansion from a lore/artistic standpoint so far, I don’t think those of you who’ve played it and enjoyed it are being biased at all.

People can have different tastes, and while I’ll argue until the sun goes down, I’d never imply you guys are compromised in some way. That’s just something people say so they can shut out opposing viewpoints.

Sunhold is a very dense port city, with narrow streets. There's also a lot of vertical progression as you head north. I want to say it's wedged up against the foothills north of it. So the wider spaces give way to passages that are partially flanked by stairs. There's also a mix of plazas up there. Towards the south, it opens up some, though I didn't spend any time poking around the docks. The plazas are larger, while the streets and stairs are wider.

As someone else pointed out, it is one of the zone's public dungeons, and as a dungeon environment, it's really refreshing.

While the architecture is the same white/polished marble as most of the buildings on the island, the tightly packed buildings reminds me of Yharnam from Bloodborne.

I didn't spend a lot of time there, but it is very memorable.
  • firedrgn
    firedrgn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok so here is my $0.02.

First world problems. Relax . It is what it is. If you dont want it dont pay for it.

It really is sell defeating to complain in context and spend this much time in a game.
This discussion has been closed.