Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

Aliyavana
Aliyavana
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
"With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day."

Edit:please keep it crown only items, cosmetics, etc, no currency should be a reward for simply logging in

Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

"With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies (pledges, pvp dailies, writs) for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive and they can stick around longer than the 2 minutes it take to log in and log back off for the rewards.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?Summerset-and-Update-18-Preview
Edited by Aliyavana on March 28, 2018 11:39PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    "With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all? Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing a daily quest? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive

no offence.... could you link the source of this please?
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loot box culture....nothing to be afraid of, its already here.

The game launched with a requirement to log in each day for:
    -mail
    -horse training
    -etc.

It never left, its just now creating a habitual experience so that customer are more open to being monetized for better "random" possibilities. I kept saying ESO Plus was a bad thing....now maybe more will agree, see they have added more and more items that will force you to need inventory maintenance and need to use crowns from your sub to access QoL features or speed up things.

SOS diff look

I don't plan on quitting over this, if the prior hasn't bothered you this shouldn't either.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 28, 2018 7:19PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

does warframe have a community often yelling at the devs and threatening of quitting if thing doesn't get fixed? its my understanding the warframe is quite listening to player feedback and the general population is happy with balancing and also is free
    Edited by Aliyavana on March 28, 2018 7:26PM
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    um lol da ***, gw2 has login rewards and i hear no complaints about that game
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

does warframe have a community often yelling at the devs and threatening of quitting if thing doesn't get fixed? its my understanding the warframe is quite listening to player feedback and the general population is happy with balancing

Well Warframe is 100% free too so I think its a very bad comparison the other person is trying to make

If ESO, the DLC and all QoL were 100% free and they monetized us for costumes, dye, houses, exp scrolls, mount training, option sub for goodies and crates then.....I wouldn't complain either......

The balance is a different issue, unrelated.
    That is the devs wanting to do X or Y that they like, and I wont' say they are ignoring feedback because they are aware of it, but they may intentionally not act on a lot of it because it doesn't align.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, daily login rewards is more "mobile/f2p" culture. But yeah, it's been spreading to more and more games. (Secret World Legends has login rewards, someone else mentioned Warframe, I'm drawing a blank on others I've played, but I know there were more....)

Daily login rewards fit in the same category as Daily Quests - encouragement to keep players logging in regularly, rather than just for special events or one day a week. And daily quests have been around for like a decade. MMOs like to parade their login statistics to shareholders/etc, show good "metrics" to demonstrate that their user base is going strong. Whether or not it's actually a good sign or not.... eh, no clue.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just another dopamine-juggling mechanic to keep people hooked.
    Just like gambling crates, you'll be happier if you don't pay any attention to it.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • KiraTsukasa
    KiraTsukasa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How is this any different than getting daily stuff from hirelings?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's cheesy, it reminds me of F2P mobile games and such and I just don't like that image on ESO.

I don't want ESO to look and feel like a F2P cheese game (it's too good for that image) however if it's hit the news/blogs it's going into the game.

I mean I won't complain about getting free stuff, I log in every day for mounts/market any way even when I go to play other games for the evening.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@PelinalWhitestrake so does Monster Hunter World...

We know that is doing better than JUST FINE. LOL.

Sooo...I really don't see the problem as well.

giphy.gif

I mean it's a win-win. They get the stats, we get the "prizes" done and done.
    ****Master Healer...****
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monster Hunter World released with daily login rewards and it's by far the best selling MH (I think the best selling Capcom) title to date.

They're not necessarily signs of failing. They encourage people who normally wouldn't be playing to at least log in, and while you're already logged in, why not check out some activities, look at the latest offerings... It's not particularly insidious, but it's a marketing tactic and it makes their metrics look good.

I think it's a nice gesture, and that ESO isn't going anywhere.

e: ninja'd on MHW, dangit
    Edited by rhapsodious on March 28, 2018 7:28PM
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say this myself, it's got a really strong player-base and excellent multi-player liquidity, never wait more than a second for a group. I think ESO is going to be OK with this.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monster Hunter World released with daily login rewards and it's by far the best selling MH (I think the best selling Capcom) title to date.

They're not necessarily signs of failing. They encourage people who normally wouldn't be playing to at least log in, and while you're already logged in, why not check out some activities, look at the latest offerings... It's not particularly insidious, but it's a marketing tactic and it makes their metrics look good.

I think it's a nice gesture, and that ESO isn't going anywhere.

e: ninja'd on MHW, dangit

That's why I want it locked behind the first daily you do, so at least some effort is made
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I log in every day for mounts/market any way even when I go to play other games for the evening.

Yeah, all the folks logging in for their "daily chores" (writs, mounts, etc).... this isn't really going to make a difference for them, except for a bit of loot.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eh, daily login rewards is more "mobile/f2p" culture. But yeah, it's been spreading to more and more games. (Secret World Legends has login rewards, someone else mentioned Warframe, I'm drawing a blank on others I've played, but I know there were more....)

Daily login rewards fit in the same category as Daily Quests - encouragement to keep players logging in regularly, rather than just for special events or one day a week. And daily quests have been around for like a decade. MMOs like to parade their login statistics to shareholders/etc, show good "metrics" to demonstrate that their user base is going strong. Whether or not it's actually a good sign or not.... eh, no clue.

I don’t think daily quests and daily log in rewards are similar. Not in any way shape or form.

It’s one thing to log in and do something because it resets whether it’s for rep or progress in a line or skills. Also this game isn’t 100% free, so the fact that you and other folks examples are from a different model could be alarming to many. Prob should be watched tho

It’s another thing to get a reward for logging in. Even if it’s just gold or things we loot from corpses, they are adding this back for a reason.

Consider they are changing eso plus so be aware....
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 28, 2018 7:31PM
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When ZOS decides to give out guaranteed Crown Crates with nothing but apex mounts, motifs and other actually great items, then I'll be worried.

This login reward system seems to me like an attempt to stop players from going over to other MMOs that are starting to branch onto consoles, such as Tera. It's simply a prevention tactic, nothing more.
    Argonian forever
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free stuff for doing what I am already doing, sign me up!
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think i agree with what you are thinking.

this smells of desperation.

I have no doubt the active subs and players have dropped dramatically and they can't see to grasp its because of their greedy practices, lack of any sort of customer service, and inability to fix bugs.

• Mic1007
    Mic1007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're making a new Chapter, and are already going on four years. ESO is fine. I think this is just this year's weird marketing decision. They have one every year. :lol:

2015 - Introduce Crown Store, people cry
    2016 - Crown Crates, people cry
    2017 - Chapter, people cry
    2018 - Daily Login rewards, people will cry

:p
    Edited by Mic1007 on March 28, 2018 7:35PM
    @Mic1007
    Champion Rank 900+
    DC/AD/EP
    PC NA

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

does warframe have a community often yelling at the devs and threatening of quitting if thing doesn't get fixed? its my understanding the warframe is quite listening to player feedback and the general population is happy with balancing

Much of the older playerbase left when the game changed direction a while back.
    As far as balancing goes, you'd see maybe one balance pass a year, with massive levels of power creep in between, and a lack of endgame content to actually use top tier gear in.

Take it from someone that spent far too much time and money on that game, the daily login stuff was the least of the issues.
    unknown.png
    Edited by Sixty5 on March 28, 2018 7:34PM
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things that are bad:
    • Paid stuff
    • Free stuff
    • Free paid stuff
    • Paid free stuff

Things that are good:
    signing off
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what your saying but if i don't plan on playing i sure don't care about a logging in for a daily reward i wont use.. but it does encourage me when im taking a day off or something to at least log in for a few and maybe do a little when i log in.

i know everyone plays different but i don't see how it will make people log in for a reward if they don't plan on playing anyways. so i just see it as a bonus for playing anyways. so i don't think it really changes anything
    Edited by magictucktuck on March 28, 2018 7:35PM
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think/thought the same thing but some of the responses have me on the fence. I don't like the "F2P" fell this gives and I hope this isn't an attempt infuse numbers but on the other hand I log in everyday anyway so for me it is a win-win, i do worry if they see a decline in daily use and this is a response.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    I already only log in for 2 mins to feed horses on the newest alt since the leveling rewards, in case I ever come back to ESO. So it won't bother me to get free stuff (junk) for those 2 mins.

TBH, I can see them trying to push this since around the same time Summerset comes out, Bless Online will be available. (at least a summer game for those burned out or just over ESO in general).
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I cannot log in every day, so... I suppose those rewards aren´t for me.
  • Lady_Scorp72
    Lady_Scorp72
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, to me the game feels like it's in a healthy place at the moment, but maturing which means populations level off. Also, just from a marketing perspective, people don't get game news, update notices, event notices etc., unless they're logging into the game or forum regularly. So, it makes sense they want to be proactive in creating as many incentives as possible to keep people checking in often.

Another reason could be their experience with Elder Scrolls Legends. That game has daily login rewards, so I imagine it must be highly successful if they've decided to expand that model to ESO.

Bosmer Warden, backstabbing Thief and Mischief Maker

“You’re as stealthy as a Mammoth on tip-toes.”
    — NPC, The Rift
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inb4 lockpick daily reward
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arobain wrote: »
    um lol da ***, gw2 has login rewards and i hear no complaints about that game

Gw2 also has no trinity system which blew off alot of rpgers
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    Inb4 lockpick daily reward

What about daily crown crate reward doh, buy crown crate and get daily reward on us !
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on March 28, 2018 7:50PM