The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Skill Point Exploit & Account Suspensions

• max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is: I hope the day I report a bug in good faith, I'm not also punished for it. :/
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accidental suspensions are a great reason to keep initial punishment as suspensions rather than bans, as some people have suggested. Although, I don't know what really goes wrong to cause it... I would think that the people who were banned have some correlating data, like tons of skill points gained in a short period of time. Accidents do happen, though.
    Yes, its plausible that some farmed the public dungeon and either thought the second skill-point was an visual bug only or they did not get it the last time. Worse if you do it once and has not done the dungeon since forever.
    Now for group dungeons, its impossible to keep track on who dungeons you have done on who character.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location. We have since fixed this issue as of our most recent incremental patch, but accounts had not yet been actioned… until now. This afternoon, we’ll be suspending close to 300 PC accounts that were found exploiting this issue. In addition to a 3-day suspension, affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred.

We encourage everyone to review the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. If you’re unsure if you’ve found an exploit in ESO, please reach out to a staff member or contact Support.

We the people want permanent bans!
  • Fleshreaper
    Fleshreaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a group boss in one of the public dungeons was bugged giving you a skill point every time you killed him. At least that is what I can decipher from the cryptic posts.

I think is would be easy to determine if a player got more than 1 skill point at a certain place.

I hope this is not the case because this would be IMO unfair. You add items to the game that REQUIRE you to grind for by killing public delve bosses over and over again and then when people actually grind for these items, they get caught up in an bug/exploit and get banned for it. SMH
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it safe to enter a public dungwon on xbox?

or am i going to accidentally get awarded additional skill point & get suspended?
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    There will be some karma if they hit the wrong nerd up for just playing the game and their own consistent incompetence once they figure out exactly what they were 'punished' for. I bet anybody that even got 1 extra point and had no idea it happened was also hit. Gonna check my emails now and if I got one I'll be starting a bitcoin pool to get everybody banned for a day or two. The only way to get some sense in people sometimes.

Edit: Luckily it didn't happen to me. It must not have been a wardenfell dungeon. That is about the only place I'd been, I haven't ran my warden through the other public dungeons yet I had been putting it off until cp level. They really shouldn't be harming others for their own incompetence... what about firing the awful coders that continue making these sort of ridiculous exploits available>? Or perhaps sending them back to school and docking it from their pay in small amounts over time once they're back? I'd begin firing coders and game mechanics designers both at this point. Since they repeatedly fail.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on June 7, 2017 12:29PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will be some karma if they hit the wrong nerd up for just playing the game and their own consistent incompetence once they figure out exactly what they were 'punished' for. I bet anybody that even got 1 extra point and had no idea it happened was also hit.

You made me wonder something. We know that ZOS, probably Bethesda Softworks, and maybe people in other studios, all play the game on a regular basis. They may even have personal accounts that they use. I wonder how many of them got accidentally tagged in this and whether they were forgiven, or the fact that they "exploited" added to their employment records.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    There will be some karma if they hit the wrong nerd up for just playing the game and their own consistent incompetence once they figure out exactly what they were 'punished' for. I bet anybody that even got 1 extra point and had no idea it happened was also hit.

You made me wonder something. We know that ZOS, probably Bethesda Softworks, and maybe people in other studios, all play the game on a regular basis. They may even have personal accounts that they use. I wonder how many of them got accidentally tagged in this and whether they were forgiven, or the fact that they "exploited" added to their employment records.

I think we all know they were "forgiven" even if they had a dozen or more illegitimate skill points and some oblivious guy or worse somebody new to the game had only 1 or 2 and was hit over it and treated like a "cheater". because they are either too lazy or too incapable of evaluating cases individually and determining what was obvious abuse and what should be reset and forgiven and treated as not deliberate. I'll be straight with you here, if i had just started a game, and was 'punished' for and accused of cheating i didn't do and discovered it was due to dev stupidity I would spend my time on suspension looking up ways to actually cheat. I'm the kind of person who gives people what they ask for and make things worth it. If this comment is edited, I will change it back and bump the thread with a copy of it. If I can no longer post, perhaps no one else will either. Enough is enough.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on June 7, 2017 12:33PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly unlikely. Most of the players that got the hammer probably camped and got more than a few skill points from this. While there may have been a Zos employee on their personal account that got more than one SP out of this they are not so stupid to think that they could keep getting more and more SP from this and not report it.

Anyone who thinks a bulk of those banned had no idea they were getting skill points each time and did not notice are fairly delusional about this.
  • necronomniconb14_ESO

Highly unlikely. Most of the players that got the hammer probably camped and got more than a few skill points from this. While there may have been a Zos employee on their personal account that got more than one SP out of this they are not so stupid to think that they could keep getting more and more SP from this and not report it.

Anyone who thinks a bulk of those banned had no idea they were getting skill points each time and did not notice are fairly delusional about this.

I recognize you as a zyngamax shill, so I'm not pointing this out to you I'm pointing it out to the oblivious... there were some who posted even on the first page that this hit them or a friend of theirs who didn't even realize WTF had happened to them and what it was over. Over just a point or two. It already happened, blanket bans (except to developers' personal accounts of course) because devs are too incompetent to code a game properly let alone police it properly.

This guy I believe is part of damage control and shilling for zos. I have kept an eye on him, and he's seemed to be doing it on occasion. I'm tired of giving this company chances when now they're just plain lazy and harming innocent people on top of being greedy. I muted the shill, since I was eating when I had to see it post. We need more than 12 ignore slots, but when I saw the forum was full of shills during the morrowind and patch frustration phase I realized why they don't want us being able to ignore too many other posters. It's worth ignoring that one though, even after having taken it off of ignore at one point to put a more annoying one on there simply because I'd like to keep my breakfast down.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on June 7, 2017 12:48PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I recognize you as a zyngamax shill, so I'm not pointing this out to you I'm pointing it out to the oblivious... there were some who posted even on the first page that this hit them or a friend of theirs who didn't even realize WTF had happened to them and what it was over. Over just a point or two. It already happened, blanket bans (except to developers' personal accounts of course) because devs are too incompetent to code a game properly let alone police it properly.

This guy I believe is part of damage control and shilling for zos. I have kept an eye on him, and he's seemed to be doing it on occasion. I'm tired of giving this company chances when now they're just plain lazy and harming innocent people on top of being greedy. I muted the shill, since I was eating when I had to see it post. We need more than 12 ignore slots, but when I saw the forum was full of shills during the morrowind and patch frustration phase I realized why they don't want us being able to ignore too many other posters. It's worth ignoring that one though, even after having taken it off of ignore at one point to put a more annoying one on there simply because I'd like to keep my breakfast down.

@necronomniconb14_ESO

Thx. I needed a good laugh. It is always humorous when someone makes a feeble attempt to discredit someone in this type of manner. LOL and thx.

If you actually attempted to read and comprehend what I stated, I stated Most, not all, as there are always some caught up in this. I would except some to be caught into the net so Zos can review or for Zos just to be safe.

Since your post seems merely a frail attempt to discredit someone who does not agree with you I will leave this post at that since anyone can scroll up to read anything else.
    Edited by idk on June 7, 2017 2:28PM
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually there was a tread made week ago by a guy who got baned for leveling new toon by going trough zones and collecting skyshards. He told he didnt want to grind lvl, so he decided to skyshard hunt and lvl at the same time. After a while he got hit by a ban. He was realtively new i think and didnt know wth is going on. He came here and made a tread which was removed faster then i could comment on it, guessing ZoS didnt want ppl to see what happened to this poor guy. Now im positive that this guys problem is related to ban spree ZoS is on for skyshard exploiters(first time i hear about it), ofc ZoS can never do things properly and ppl(atleast one) got baned for skyshard hunting legit way.
  • JDC1985
    JDC1985
    ✭✭✭
    Your going to ban for this but not the other exploits being used right now? I can see why your prize warden is the class being exploited but you cant ban paying customers.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

Actually there was a tread made week ago by a guy who got baned for leveling new toon by going trough zones and collecting skyshards. He told he didnt want to grind lvl, so he decided to skyshard hunt and lvl at the same time. After a while he got hit by a ban. He was realtively new i think and didnt know wth is going on. He came here and made a tread which was removed faster then i could comment on it, guessing ZoS didnt want ppl to see what happened to this poor guy. Now im positive that this guys problem is related to ban spree ZoS is on for skyshard exploiters(first time i hear about it), ofc ZoS can never do things properly and ppl(atleast one) got baned for skyshard hunting legit way.

There was a Skyshard exploit?
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really think they should cross reference each account, who they found doing this, to their characters on the PTS. And if/when they find someone who did this on PTS and then on Live, those people should get permanent bans. Finding exploits early on PTS and holding on to them to use on the live server, instead of reporting, should not be tolerated.

Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's ban all those that used exploited the lightning staff splash damage CP double-dip!!! Clearly they should have realized the AoE damage was too high and stopped using it! Ooops - that's me! :(
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No a player who legit gained skill points by finding skyshards got caught up in the exploit ban or so it is said.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3 days vacay for an exploit? That's it? I sometimes don't log in for a week, if I ever got a ban I wouldn't even know I did something wrong lol.
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So basically no punishment then....

What a shock...

ZOS does not even perma ban for exploiting by flying in pvp...

Edited by Troneon on June 7, 2017 2:23PM
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Let's ban all those that used exploited the lightning staff splash damage CP double-dip!!! Clearly they should have realized the AoE damage was too high and stopped using it! Ooops - that's me! :(

FYI, all damage double dips in CP.
  • necronomniconb14_ESO

Kodrac wrote: »
    3 days vacay for an exploit? That's it? I sometimes don't log in for a week, if I ever got a ban I wouldn't even know I did something wrong lol.

if they were to perma ban as many likely unwitting/unknowing players... especially many new that were caught up in their extremely lazy blanket penalties they would at the least cause a lot of bad PR and many would spend no more money while some would leave the game or avoid getting into it altogether (including deterring future buyers) best case scenario. They would face many immediate chargebacks and/or a class-action lawsuit in the worst case. Whether or not that would be won by them wouldn't matter so much as the bad press and the costs to such a greedy company to face a class-action suit. It would make the laziness very public at that point too. I believe there were innocent caught up in this over a point or two when they didn't even know anything was wrong and the fact there even shouldn't have been to begin with. And betas are always inclusive of the types that hunt for exploits to keep to themselves, this game before launch and neverwinter are the two most notorious that come to mind currently. Not even the best games can rid themselves of those sort of players but they certainly do handle it much better though than this and the other game's devs that I mentioned.
    Inarre wrote: »

No a player who legit gained skill points by finding skyshards got caught up in the exploit ban or so it is said.

I'd bet money on it that they simply looked and saw a large number of skill points being gained without a large leap in levels in between and in their almighty wisdom declared he must have been a cheater. That's how lazy and incompetent I believe some of them are.
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on June 7, 2017 2:52PM
  • Malamar1229
    Malamar1229
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So lemme get this straight...anyone down there farming the boss for the new gear drops likely got banned then.....

lolsauce
  • necronomniconb14_ESO
    Inarre wrote: »

So lemme get this straight...anyone down there farming the boss for the new gear drops likely got banned then.....

lolsauce

lolsauce is what happens when it's done to the right person(s)
    Edited by necronomniconb14_ESO on June 7, 2017 2:57PM
  • JR_Returns
    JR_Returns
    ✭✭✭
    There are some really interesting comments in this post and yes I too think 3 days isn't worth the effort, they should start with a month and work up.

However what I want to know is once ZOS have been informed of an exploit and not bothered to fix it, how long does it remain an exploit.

For example: ZOS told of exploit, 3 months later and still not fixed, does it now become a game feature?
  • Arch_White
    Arch_White
    ✭✭
    JR_Returns wrote: »
    There are some really interesting comments in this post and yes I too think 3 days isn't worth the effort, they should start with a month and work up.

However what I want to know is once ZOS have been informed of an exploit and not bothered to fix it, how long does it remain an exploit.

For example: ZOS told of exploit, 3 months later and still not fixed, does it now become a game feature?

Keep walls used be able to be repaired above 95% while under attack. It was a bug at first, then it became a feature and then a bug again when they figured out how to fix it.
    Some people were suspended unfairly and their suspensions not lifted for the 3 days. If support decided to unfairly ban for a month they would lose every player they did it to, which is why they won't do that.

Biggest scrub EU
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smacx250 wrote: »

FYI, all damage double dips in CP.
    This was a specific lightning staff bug. The splash damage of a lightning heavy is supposed to do X% of the single target damage done. However, the bugged calculation took the single target damage done, and then increased it by the seemingly applicable CP stars, so that the AoE damage was greater than X% of the single target damage. The single target damage was already increased by the CP stars, and the AoE wasn't supposed to be increased *again* (e.g., EE would end up being applied twice for the AoE damage). It was fixed for the Morrowind patch (see patch notes).
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to wonder whether @Montayva ever heard back from them on this issue.
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sheey wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    Will punishments be worse if any of these people were repeat offenders?

As I feel whilst this issue was reversible the fact we often see suspensions only leads people to promote exploiting, cash out before the suspension, take a suspension and enjoy the rewards still.

As I have posted many times in other threads about exploiting I feel ZOS would do well to adopt a strike system (if not already) to make sure first time offended who may not know better learn, but repeat offenders are eventually removed from the game.

No. Just No.

Repeat offenders should not be removed from the game. As long as it is game expirienced-related the punishments should stay ingame related and not account related.

Suspending someone from the game permanently is never to take in action just because someone abusing a bug in game. Permanently bans are reserved for Bots and system hacks ONLY.

Concerned you may be taking a 3 day? Doing much exploiting that makes you fear for a suspension? Exploiters should be perma banned. It's one thing to find an exploit. Things happen. But something this severe or game breaking, should be met with a goodbye note and the locks changed. PERIOD. I watched it ruin several other games. I wont play shooters any more because of all of the aim bots and hacks. If you suck, dont play. You ruin it for the rest of us.
    Edited by jaye63 on June 7, 2017 4:50PM
  • ericprydz82ub17_ESO
    I feel for those that got caught up in this by either doing the right thing and reporting it if you saw it or those that just didn't realize it happened.

Me being on console, now has me concerned since we have the same patch that PC had so the "exploit" is active atm. Has ZOS came out and mentioned which public dungeon it is from so we can now avoid it and not make the mistake others made? I just power leveled a Warden and wouldn't mind acquiring some extra skill points to finish out the build but I really don't want to get caught up in any of this BS that is happening.

If you can't learn from a mistake you just made not 2 weeks ago, even though the opportunity is right in front of you, there is no hope for future development in this game with a trusting player base.
    Edited by ericprydz82ub17_ESO on June 7, 2017 4:56PM
    -Pryda - Ebonheart Pact XB1 NA
    World first HelRa Hardmode player.
    GT: Bootleg Mix
  • Smasherx74
    Smasherx74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel for those that got caught up in this by either doing the right thing and reporting it if you saw it or those that just didn't realize it happened.

Me being on console, now has me concerned since we have the same patch that PC had so the "exploit" is active atm. Has ZOS came out and mentioned which public dungeon it is from so we can now avoid it and not make the mistake others made? I just power leveled a Warden and wouldn't mind acquiring some extra skill points to finish out the build but I really don't want to get caught up in any of this BS that is happening.

If you can't learn from a mistake you just made not 2 weeks ago, even though the opportunity is right in front of you, there is no hope for future development in this game with a trusting player base.

You want ZOS to tell you how the bug works so you can avoid exploiting it? You think PC and Console have the same patches?

My eyes are bleeding right now.
    Master Debater