Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill Point Exploit & Account Suspensions

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location. We have since fixed this issue as of our most recent incremental patch, but accounts had not yet been actioned… until now. This afternoon, we’ll be suspending close to 300 PC accounts that were found exploiting this issue. In addition to a 3-day suspension, affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred.

We encourage everyone to review the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. If you’re unsure if you’ve found an exploit in ESO, please reach out to a staff member or contact Support.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Warraxx
    Warraxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3-days, that'll teach'em... *sarcasm*
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While the 3 day is nice, you should take away all their skillpoints...let them enjoy the hunt all over again, just like the rest of us have to!
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will punishments be worse if any of these people were repeat offenders?

As I feel whilst this issue was reversible the fact we often see suspensions only leads people to promote exploiting, cash out before the suspension, take a suspension and enjoy the rewards still.

As I have posted many times in other threads about exploiting I feel ZOS would do well to adopt a strike system (if not already) to make sure first time offended who may not know better learn, but repeat offenders are eventually removed from the game.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

As I feel whilst this issue was reversible the fact we often see suspensions only leads people to promote exploiting, cash out before the suspension, take a suspension and enjoy the rewards still.

As I have posted many times in other threads about exploiting I feel ZOS would do well to adopt a strike system (if not already) to make sure first time offended who may not know better learn, but repeat offenders are eventually removed from the game.

Oh dont remind me that, the Banker/Survey Maps exploit ruined gold upgrade mats economy for months and exploiters were sent just on 3 day vacation so when they log in they will cash in on all the gold they got from selling stacks of alloys in traders.
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week, there was an exploit reported on PC that allowed you to repeatedly gain skill points from a single location. We have since fixed this issue as of our most recent incremental patch, but accounts had not yet been actioned… until now. This afternoon, we’ll be suspending close to 300 PC accounts that were found exploiting this issue. In addition to a 3-day suspension, affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred.

We encourage everyone to review the Terms of Service and Code of Conduct. If you’re unsure if you’ve found an exploit in ESO, please reach out to a staff member or contact Support.

hope they were sent an email or they might not even notice lol
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 days seems a bit short. They could be more creative in their punishments as someone suggested they could make it so you have to regain all skill points from skyshards but anyone seriously suggesting they hand out permabans for this is delusional.
  • Sheey
    Sheey
    ✭✭✭✭

No. Just No.

Repeat offenders should not be removed from the game. As long as it is game expirienced-related the punishments should stay ingame related and not account related.

Suspending someone from the game permanently is never to take in action just because someone abusing a bug in game. Permanently bans are reserved for Bots and system hacks ONLY.

Edited by Sheey on June 1, 2017 7:04PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheey wrote: »

No. Just No.

Repeat offenders should not be removed from the game. As long as it is game expirienced-related the punishments should stay ingame related and not account related.

Suspending someone from the game permanently is never to take in action just because someone abusing a bug in game. Permanently bans are reserved for Bots and system hacks ONLY.
    This is the procedure for almost every other MMO, there are clear ToS rules stating you are not to exploit bugs if encountered.

The issue we have with ESO and exploiting is that because ZOS has rarely ever made a harsh stance we literally see people telling one another to abuse bugs on the forums and have active groups within the game which find them and abuse for massive gains yet face only a temporary suspension.

I've been banging on about this for over a year now linking the same old information again and again. If ZOS wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game then they need to start taking actual actions against people who continuously exploit bugs for advantages in the game.

Here are some examples to prove I am not just touting rubbish.

https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/suspension-and-ban-policy/
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-conduct-breaches-outcomes/
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/rule/manner05.html?pageID=manner
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Moi_523
    Moi_523
    ✭✭✭
    Well this kinda sucks because we just happened to be doing that public dungeon (myself and 2 others) that day. One of us had missed the group event boss when it was up so we went back to kill it again. We also were around the dungeon several times in order to get all the bosses for the achievement and and passed by the group event many times. We did not camp it like so many others did but are getting punished because their programming was *** up. Thanks a lot ZOS. There was NO WAY to prevent from getting an extra skill point when we killed it again for the other group members that missed it...
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moi_523 wrote: »
    Well this kinda sucks because we just happened to be doing that public dungeon (myself and 2 others) that day. One of us had missed the group event boss when it was up so we went back to kill it again. We also were around the dungeon several times in order to get all the bosses for the achievement and and passed by the group event many times. We did not camp it like so many others did but are getting punished because their programming was *** up. Thanks a lot ZOS. There was NO WAY to prevent from getting an extra skill point when we killed it again for the other group members that missed it...

4 people in my guild that went to do all the public dungeons with their new wardens to get the skillpoints from there were also banned.

Great job banning people for playing the game.
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    I have a guildmate you've just suspended for this and he's 100% oblivious as to what he's done, nor where it happened and he's not the sort of person to lie about these things so it might be an idea to look a bit further into this instead of throwing out blanket suspensions that may catch people who are innocent of any wrongdoing. If he has partaken in this, he was not aware that it was going on, nor where it happened. I realise it is my word about him against whatever exploit this is but are you sure you haven't just taken anyone who was in this particular area at the general time leveling, especially if it was in the new expansion and decided to suspend them because they somehow inadvertantly managed to glean some extra skill without even noticing.

I don't think he's bothered about the skill points at all, its more the fact that he can't play for the next 3 days because of something he's not even aware of.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did the group event with my main and do not remember getting an additional skill point when I ran through it again with my gf. Is it confirmed that it only happened on newly created characters? I would really hate to have to fight a three day ban for playing the game the way it was intended and not abusing anything.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Grashek
    Grashek
    ✭✭
    Well, a great week comes to a unplessent end. We were in the middle of our first veteran guild clear celebration of veteran Halls of Fabrication when suddendly half of the guild got kicked from the server.
    I have no idea what this is about. I have created a magicka and a stamina warden this week and grinded it up, to see if I can get them into the maelstrom arena weekly quickly. I created two reddit threads to showcase the builds with which I succeeded to do so. Here is a run down of what I did this week in game:
    <Complete Mainquest up to coldharbour on both wardens>
    Then I grouped with @Rogue78 on my magicka warden and we did every public dungeon once to get more skillpoints. We had a 3. guild player porting us close to the public dungeons because we didn't have the wayshrines obviously on a new character.
    After that I was around lvl 30 and went to Auridon to mindlessly grind skelettons to push fighters guild and character level.
    I proceeded to do some dungeons to get undaunted and some skillpoints from first completion and finished my own maelstrom challenge on this character.
    Once that was completed I created a reddit thread about it to share my knowledge and started to level my 2. warden.
    This time I didn't have time for a complete rundown of all public dungeons so I just did a few (D.C. starting area glenumbra etc..) and started to go to Maelstrom only after leveling fighters guild at Auridon again. This time I struggled hard, and didn't finish first day. On the next day I did some undaunted dungeons to gain a few more skillpoints. With swapping to iceheart I finally completed my mission on the stamina warden then.

However. It is obvious that I didn't exploit anything (except you think that grinding zombies= exploiting). If you look at the skillpoints on my magicka warden, I didn't have enough at that time to level the last passive of the healing tree.
    And on my stamina warden I was missing skill points left / right / center.

I have no idea which exploit has been reported, but I urge you to take a second look.

@Rogue78 has had every char class combination stamina / magicka at maximum level and so did I.
    Both of us are quite perfectionistic when it comes to leveling a new character, and this time when we joined forces and had our checklist we were pretty efficient in leveling our characters. We didn't kill any public dungeon bosses / world bosses more than once, we only completed the quests in there, cleared the groupchallenge once and went out. We had (most of the time) 100% ambrosia XP pots running.

I have no idea whats going on here. This is quite annoying.

EDIT: The first maelstrom attempt on my stamina I didn't even leveld every medium armor passive....
    EDIT2: Most of my ingame time I spend together with Rogue in teamspeak.
    Edited by Grashek on June 1, 2017 8:18PM
    Guildmaster of Omnia Vincit - PVE Raiding Guild

I was the first player to unlock the Flawless Conquerer title on every Magicka / Stamina character combination possible including the wardens.

Characterlist:
    • Grashek, Highelf Sorcerer: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer & Former-Emperor
    • Lord Windermere, Imperial Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Former-Emperor
    • Auri Moonfae, Highelf Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Nebulashek, Highelf Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • S'Kinrai Ri, Khajiit Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • Pytograshek, Highelf Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer
    • Fengrash, Redguard Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ghorbashek, Orc Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ca'Tshek, Khajiit Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Grashandra Philadoria, Darkelf Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Legolashek, Bosmer Templar: Flawless Conquerer Roleplaymaster
    • Boreashek, Highelf Warden: Flawless Conquerer, first Warden on live server with that title.
    • Anaxagorashek, Redguard Khajiit Warden: Flawless Conquerer
  • ilander
    ilander
    ✭✭✭
    ilander wrote: »
    I have a guildmate you've just suspended for this and he's 100% oblivious as to what he's done, nor where it happened and he's not the sort of person to lie about these things so it might be an idea to look a bit further into this instead of throwing out blanket suspensions that may catch people who are innocent of any wrongdoing. If he has partaken in this, he was not aware that it was going on, nor where it happened. I realise it is my word about him against whatever exploit this is but are you sure you haven't just taken anyone who was in this particular area at the general time leveling, especially if it was in the new expansion and decided to suspend them because they somehow inadvertantly managed to glean some extra skill without even noticing.

I don't think he's bothered about the skill points at all, its more the fact that he can't play for the next 3 days because of something he's not even aware of.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

I wanted to add now that he knows where this could have happened, he was in full training gear using ambrosia and an xp scroll so are you sure he didn't just gain some xp with a stack of xp buffs because he remembers he was hardly even in this spot at all let alone farming.
    Most Averagest Player EU PvP - More averager than you'll ever be.. GUARANTEED!

• Rogue78
    Rogue78
    ✭✭✭
    Were you just going by Skillpoints earned / timeframe as a reason do ban people? Or did you just blanket ban everyone coming by a paticular place?

We did not grind _any_ boss, as Grashek said. We did the MQ, every public dungeon in the game apart from the new Morrowind ones, on a single day. You can easily check the achievements for that. On top of that, all in the span of the one week since Morrowind release, Skyshards from all DC zones, 3/4 of EP, one or two AD, Hews Bane, Gold Coast, a few TG & DB quests that give points, every single dungeon in the game and a few on top of that from pvp.

All easily proven with the dungeon, quest, skyshard, alliance rank achievements.

So are you telling me now that you are going to delete all that progress back to a state of last week when the char was like level 10? On top of that completely unjustified 3 day suspension?

You can't be serious...
    Edited by Rogue78 on June 1, 2017 8:31PM
    Omnia Vincit
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Moi_523
    Moi_523
    ✭✭✭
    Soriana wrote: »
    I did the group event with my main and do not remember getting an additional skill point when I ran through it again with my gf. Is it confirmed that it only happened on newly created characters? I would really hate to have to fight a three day ban for playing the game the way it was intended and not abusing anything.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

My group was 1 newly created character and 2 that were not new. Mine was not a new character. we did notice that the skill point popped up again when we had to kill the boss a second time but again...there was no way to prevent it. And how many times have you gone through one of these public dungeons trying to get every boss for the achievements and you end up killing some of them multiple times?? Its something to do while you are waiting for the ones you need to spawn. I did notice people camping the group event but my party did not camp it at all. We just played the dungeon like we normally do, running through several times to get all the bosses.
  • Grashek
    Grashek
    ✭✭
    Rogue78 wrote: »
    Were you just going by Skillpoints earned / timeframe as a reason do ban people? Or did you just blanket ban everyone coming by a paticular place?

We did not grind _any_ boss, as Grashek said. We did the MQ, every public dungeon in the game apart from the new Morrowind ones, on a single day. You can easily check the achievements for that. On top of that, all in the span of the one week since Morrowind release, is all DC zones, 3/4 of EP, one or two AD, Hews Bane, Gold Coast, a few TG & DB quests that give points, every single dungeon in the game and a few on top of that from pvp.

All easily proven with the dungeon, quest, skyshard, alliance rank achievements.

So are you telling me now that you are going to delete all that progress back to a state of last week when the char was like level 10? On top of that completely unjustified 3 day suspension?

You can't be serious...

Couldn't have said it better.
    Edited by Grashek on June 1, 2017 8:32PM
    Guildmaster of Omnia Vincit - PVE Raiding Guild

I was the first player to unlock the Flawless Conquerer title on every Magicka / Stamina character combination possible including the wardens.

Characterlist:
    • Grashek, Highelf Sorcerer: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer & Former-Emperor
    • Lord Windermere, Imperial Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Former-Emperor
    • Auri Moonfae, Highelf Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Nebulashek, Highelf Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • S'Kinrai Ri, Khajiit Nightblade: Flawless Conquerer
    • Pytograshek, Highelf Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer & Dro'Mathra-Destroyer
    • Fengrash, Redguard Dragonknight: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ghorbashek, Orc Templar: Flawless Conquerer
    • Ca'Tshek, Khajiit Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Grashandra Philadoria, Darkelf Sorc: Flawless Conquerer
    • Legolashek, Bosmer Templar: Flawless Conquerer Roleplaymaster
    • Boreashek, Highelf Warden: Flawless Conquerer, first Warden on live server with that title.
    • Anaxagorashek, Redguard Khajiit Warden: Flawless Conquerer
  • cmetzger93
    cmetzger93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you do a PSA on the launcher so that everyone sees and knows not to do the exploit and warn them there will be consequences, you are suspending accounts that may not have known any better. It could be a simple misunderstanding that someone did the same boss twice and received an extra skill point. The only ones who should be suspended are the ones who you know did it several times.
  • Rogue78
    Rogue78
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember doing any group challenge twice, nor seeing any groups of people camping them. We tried to do them as fast as possible. Completing all on a single day still took several hours. If we got a point too much why not just remove it. It's not like any of us even noticed anything amiss. Until suddenly out of the blue people got banned.
    Omnia Vincit
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • ewhite106b16_ESO
    ewhite106b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really angry about this, I was banned unjustly and most definitely was not exploiting to gain skill points. Not even sure what situation I might have been around that led to being suspended for "skill point exploitation". Only thing I can maybe think of was a delve boss I killed last week with friends that a bunch of people were farming?

Not even sure who to contact to get this fixed. Seriously Zenimax, this blanket suspension of innocent accounts doesn't make any sense and it's a great way to alienate your customers.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another one of those "I never knew it existed" exploit threads . I'm so out of the loop when it comes to cheating . Guess that's a good thing though .
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No. Just No.

This is the procedure for almost every other MMO, there are clear ToS rules stating you are not to exploit bugs if encountered.

The issue we have with ESO and exploiting is that because ZOS has rarely ever made a harsh stance we literally see people telling one another to abuse bugs on the forums and have active groups within the game which find them and abuse for massive gains yet face only a temporary suspension.

I've been banging on about this for over a year now linking the same old information again and again. If ZOS wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game then they need to start taking actual actions against people who continuously exploit bugs for advantages in the game.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but, I feel like a more reasonable solution to this problem would be ... fix the bugs? Invest in a competent QA team? Hold the developers responsible for consistently releasing bug-riddled code that never gets fixed?

It just seems to me that if ZOS "wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game," then they should produce a game that isn't a donkey show of bugs, crashes, and lag.

Stuff like this leading to permabans would be a great way to let ESO rest in pepperoni. I've spent many an evening grinding Public Dungeons for various purposes (guild events, gear farm, gold farm, etc.).
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

No. Just No.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but, I feel like a more reasonable solution to this problem would be ... fix the bugs? Invest in a competent QA team? Hold the developers responsible for consistently releasing bug-riddled code that never gets fixed?

It just seems to me that if ZOS "wants ESO to have a reputation of a fair and competitive online game," then they should produce a game that isn't a donkey show of bugs, crashes, and lag.

Stuff like this leading to permabans would be a great way to let ESO rest in pepperoni. I've spent many an evening grinding Public Dungeons for various purposes (guild events, gear farm, gold farm, etc.).
    The issue and the reason a ToS exists is because not all bugs can be foreseen and fixed instantly. You have to remember there are groups who go on PTS to find issues, don't report them then abuse in the live game.

ToS which gives a company freedom to suspend or ban due to unforeseen bugs. It should only lead to a perma ban if a player constantly after one or two strikes continues to exploit bugs.

If you find a bug which can be exploited, report it, don't use it, don't get banned. It's that simple.
  • Rogue78
    Rogue78
    ✭✭✭
    Is sending out the "Elder Scrolls Online: Skillpoint Exploit Suspension Notice" mail twice part of the process? Meanwhile I am trying to figure out how to submit a customer support ticket. The support page does not even offer any aporpriate category...

You better fix this fast ZOS and not wait around until those 72 hours are over! Completely ridiculous!
    Omnia Vincit
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that even though clearly in the ideal world bugs should not be exploited, temptation is too much for many people (assuming they even realised there was a bug they were exploiting), and really @ZOS should be more responsible about fixing said bugs immediately.

After all, what are the weekly maintenances for, and have they never heard of hotfixes? To me it seems unfair to 'solve the problem' by banning players.
  • DarkAedin
    DarkAedin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got banned for this but quested normally and grabbed skyshards normally. Also have several pvp levels. I did not exploit. I quested through main story zones like we are supposed to. Zos help @ZOS_GaryA @ZOS_TristanK @ZOS_AmeliaR
  • KevinMK
    KevinMK
    ✭✭
    affected accounts will have all skill points reset to their original state before this exploit occurred

What does this mean exactly? Will the skill points be reset to the amount of skill points they had at the point before the exploit? What happens to the skill points that were obtained legally during the time since the exploit?
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No. Just No.

The issue and the reason a ToS exists is because not all bugs can be foreseen and fixed instantly. You have to remember there are groups who go on PTS to find issues, don't report them then abuse in the live game.

ToS which gives a company freedom to suspend or ban due to unforeseen bugs. It should only lead to a perma ban if a player constantly after one or two strikes continues to exploit bugs.

If you find a bug which can be exploited, report it, don't use it, don't get banned. It's that simple.

My point is that bugs like this one can easily be accidentally "exploited" by people who had no ill intent.

And there are other bugs that are "exploited" to work around broken content that can't be played otherwise.

And there are many potential bugs that are, by some definition, being "exploited" in competitive end-game content ... but of course we have no idea if those are actually bugs that we are exploiting or intentional mechanics.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it cuts both ways. People should be banned for repeatedly exploiting known bugs, but ZOS should do a better job of communicating the existence of those bugs and then fixing them. The sheer number of bugs and exploits in this game is astounding.

If ZOS wants this to be a fair and competitive online game, the buck starts and stops with ZOS. Putting all of the blame on players, especially in cases like this, just allows ZOS to continue raking in cash for delivering broken content.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Just No.

My point is that bugs like this one can easily be accidentally "exploited" by people who had no ill intent.

And there are other bugs that are "exploited" to work around broken content that can't be played otherwise.

And there are many potential bugs that are, by some definition, being "exploited" in competitive end-game content ... but of course we have no idea if those are actually bugs that we are exploiting or intentional mechanics.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it cuts both ways. People should be banned for repeatedly exploiting known bugs, but ZOS should do a better job of communicating the existence of those bugs and then fixing them. The sheer number of bugs and exploits in this game is astounding.

If ZOS wants this to be a fair and competitive online game, the buck starts and stops with ZOS. Putting all of the blame on players, especially in cases like this, just allows ZOS to continue raking in cash for delivering broken content.
    I agree with you on some parts. I do wish ZOS would announce when an exploit is found and warn everyone that if they use it they will face actions, then take action against those who did to some level.

I come from another game which was very tough on exploitation and much better at communication, so my views are very heavily influenced by that. :confused:
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep running all the other exploits though,lol