Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What's the point of running Templar healers now? (PTS natch potes)

• Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    This makes the ability require more strategic positioning and gives the healer more control over who gets healed. You can now position yourself to ensure an ally being attacked will be healed, rather than another player standing in the back.

What does it matter if it heals the player standing in the back? It heals everyone around you at the same time, that's why it's the "Oh crap!" moment Heal where you mash it if you notice your group is about to wipe.

But you know what this makes me think of? ZOS watched this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DxS7eT_ky4

Especially Lesson #6: You are a God. ZOS is helping us choose who we Heal and who is left in the red begging for mercy. >:)

I love TheHiveLeader.

ZoS' argument is especially silly as the non-Templar version of BoL, Healing Ward/Ward Ally, maintains the functionality of just targeting the ally with the lowest health. Same as Sorcerer's Matriach.

It feels like they came up with the "reasoning" after their decision to nerf Templars to the ground to justify it, rather than using it as a basis of reasoning and acting from there.
    Kiss the chaos.
  • HegemonIQ
    HegemonIQ
    ✭✭✭
    @Magdalina

Oops, miss-read your post...wish I could delete my comment :/
    Edited by HegemonIQ on April 19, 2017 1:39PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HegemonIQ wrote: »

Re Twilight, seems like a big heal (my tooltip is around 30k buffed), but a HOT carried over 10 seconds, so about 3k a sec (just a little less than my Healing Springs tics). It's great for my tanks - so I can switch focus to the group, but still doesn't come close to replacing the emergency 15k (uncrit) I get from BoL.

@HegemonIQ o.O Twilight is not a HoT. She is a burst heal just like BoL.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I compare this to when I played wow, I played a paladin and then Druids appeared. We were furious and they were nature healers. However, the paladins still had better focused heals and the druids had more buffs as heals so both were necessary in end game raids. Druids were squishy and pallys wore heavy armor and were not. Seems like this will be similar.
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    You don't need an AOE magic steal as generally you are either focusing a target or AOEing a bunch down to where you likely will hit the one with ele drain on it and steal doesn't stack. And ele drain is free and does not agro anything let alone the entire room.
    Not sure what your group positioning in Trials is when you even mention being the first one to pull, but either way kudos for spamming that Drain and being useful in the meantime. Regarding Warden - the discussion will most likely keep the tone of telling how Templars are "screwed" etc. and maybe even Sorcerer healer fan-attic will pop up, only to see Templar still being #1 main healer for Trials environment in the end. The reasons are there, no matter how many people will choose to overlook them. Nothing against the hype for Warden though.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We’d like to provide some clarity on why we made some of the changes we did, specifically to the Templar. Reading about some of these changes can be a bit jarring at first, and we highly suggest you to log onto the PTS to give it a try first-hand; this may help you see how everything works together and in context.

First, we want to reiterate why we’re making these global changes to abilities and resource management (and most of this will sound very familiar if you read the PTS patch notes). Our combat system features fast-paced action where resource management plays a large part in performing effectively. Player abilities in ESO specifically do not have cooldowns for this very reason - resource management is a core pillar of the system. Due to the number of balance changes we’ve made over time, this core pillar of resource management has become trivialized in that it’s become easier than ever to have nearly infinite sustainability while still being fully maximized for damage. The overall goal here is to have a combat system that reinforces decision making and resource management.

With that being said, one of the main concerns we want to address is the worry that we’re nerfing Templars in order to make the Warden a stronger healing class, particularly by nerfing Major Mending and giving it to Wardens. We’ve made it so all classes have to meet conditional requirements to gain Major Mending. DK’s need to have their damage shields up, Wardens have to heal low health targets, and Resto Staff users have to complete a fully charged heavy attack. It’s also worth noting that we’re planning on adjusting the Warden passive, Accelerated Growth, because it’s currently too easy to keep it active for long periods of time.

If you’re worried that there’s no reason to play a Templar over a Warden, or any other class, keep in mind that Templars have a stronger single target burst heal that’s easier to aim (Rushed Ceremony), they have a faster healing spammable ability with Healing Ritual, and their Ultimate heal hits targets in a 28m radius instead of 8 meters. In addition, have also have a free heal with Repentance, can cleanse allies with the Cleansing Ritual synergy and can remove 5 effects from themselves. Rushed Ceremony is also still the strongest heal in ESO, so Templars still have a lot going for them.

Lastly, we know there’s some apprehension that we’re balancing PvE and PvP gameplay simultaneously without separating the two. We are 100% committed to supporting a single unified game where mechanics and abilities work consistently, with the goal being for players to learn how play efficiently and be able to transfer those skills to other environments. This is one of the reasons we added CC immunities to monsters; when ESO originally launched, you could knock the same mudcrab down over and over. The balance changes we made in this update are aimed at making gameplay more interesting in all areas of the game.

Again, we encourage everyone to hop on the PTS and give these changes a try in both PvE and PvP scenarios rather than just reading about the changes. Once you’ve had a chance to try everything out, we’d love to hear your feedback about what you played.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Gina. This is very much needed today.

Edit to remove quote (it was quite long!)
    Edited by Turelus on April 19, 2017 7:23PM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • GwJSVDShark
    GwJSVDShark
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for that! Just what I was hoping to hear. :)
    I'm actually kinda excited for the changes, this might finally get me into PvP.
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭
    With that being said, one of the main concerns we want to address is the worry that we’re nerfing Templars in order to make the Warden a stronger healing class, particularly by nerfing Major Mending and giving it to Wardens. We’ve made it so all classes have to meet conditional requirements to gain Major Mending. DK’s need to have their damage shields up, Wardens have to heal low health targets, and Resto Staff users have to complete a fully charged heavy attack. It’s also worth noting that we’re planning on adjusting the Warden passive, Accelerated Growth, because it’s currently too easy to keep it active for long periods of time.

@ZOS_GinaBruno I just want to give the TL;DR version of the requirements needed to be met for major mending:

DKs - need to have a shield active that disappears after one light attack

Everyone else, including the traditional healing class with a healing dedicated tree: equip a resto staff, complete a fully charged heavy attack during which you can't cast anything else to get the buff for 3 seconds, most of which is needed to complete another heavy attack to get the buff again.

Warden - you will get it whenever you actually need it

Edited by Blackfyre20 on April 19, 2017 7:23PM
    Buff Soft Caps
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    We’d like to provide some clarity on why we made some of the changes we did, specifically to the Templar. Reading about some of these changes can be a bit jarring at first, and we highly suggest you to log onto the PTS to give it a try first-hand; this may help you see how everything works together and in context.

First, we want to reiterate why we’re making these global changes to abilities and resource management (and most of this will sound very familiar if you read the PTS patch notes). Our combat system features fast-paced action where resource management plays a large part in performing effectively. Player abilities in ESO specifically do not have cooldowns for this very reason - resource management is a core pillar of the system. Due to the number of balance changes we’ve made over time, this core pillar of resource management has become trivialized in that it’s become easier than ever to have nearly infinite sustainability while still being fully maximized for damage. The overall goal here is to have a combat system that reinforces decision making and resource management.

If you’re worried that there’s no reason to play a Templar over a Warden, or any other class, keep in mind that Templars have a stronger single target burst heal that’s easier to aim (Rushed Ceremony), they have a faster healing spammable ability with Healing Ritual, and their Ultimate heal hits targets in a 28m radius instead of 8 meters. In addition, have also have a free heal with Repentance, can cleanse allies with the Cleansing Ritual synergy and can remove 5 effects from themselves. Rushed Ceremony is also still the strongest heal in ESO, so Templars still have a lot going for them.

Lastly, we know there’s some apprehension that we’re balancing PvE and PvP gameplay simultaneously without separating the two. We are 100% committed to supporting a single unified game where mechanics and abilities work consistently, with the goal being for players to learn how play efficiently and be able to transfer those skills to other environments. This is one of the reasons we added CC immunities to monsters; when ESO originally launched, you could knock the same mudcrab down over and over. The balance changes we made in this update are aimed at making gameplay more interesting in all areas of the game.

Again, we encourage everyone to hop on the PTS and give these changes a try in both PvE and PvP scenarios rather than just reading about the changes. Once you’ve had a chance to try everything out, we’d love to hear your feedback about what you played.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but if Ive spent thousands of hours over the last 2 years playing this game I should be able to sustain through a 10 man zerg of low level CP players. Ive put my time in and so has every other max cp player. You should have never have gone to the CP system in the first place, I am probably alone again on this but I actually like the Vet Ranks and detested the CP system. Now that you've shoved that down our throats for the last year your going to tell us you f'd up? With the disappointment of housing and your obvious clueless ways of dealing with class balance issues this game is getting harder and harder to play. Your just lucky there isn't any other good mmo pvp games on PS4 at the moment bc I would have been gone a long time ago. Thanks for nothing ZOS.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno I just want to give the TL;DR version of the requirements needed to be met for major mending:

Everyone else, including the traditional healing class with a healing dedicated tree: equip a resto staff, complete a fully charged heavy attack during which you can't cast anything else to get the buff for 3 seconds, most of which is needed to complete another heavy attack to get the buff again.

Warden - you will have it whenever you actually need it

You don't know that about Wardens. Stop with misinformation
  • crusnik91
    crusnik91
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What about DK?
    YT channel(Guides/Builds/gameplay)
    ~ Crescent Jayren Gaming ~

Glorious EP
    Jayren - V16 MagBlade AR30
    Crescent J'renz - V16 StamBlade AR46
    Crescent Lucrecia - V16 MagSorc AR32
    Courageous DC
    Crescent Sephiroth - V16 StamDK AR50
    Crescent Singu-rarity - V16 MagTemplar AR33
    Relentless AD
    Crescent the Tiny - V16 StamSorc AR10
    Crescent-The-Huge-One - V16 MagWarden AR18
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wardens have to heal low health targets

lenny-1.gif
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhoric wrote: »

When you heal an ally below 50% health with a green balance ability you get major mending for 6 seconds. Not misinformation, that is directly from ZOS.

Also @Kodrac I imagine that would indeed be your expression. To spell it out, you get the buff from healing low health allies, which is when you are going to need it.
    Edited by Blackfyre20 on April 20, 2017 10:20PM
    Buff Soft Caps
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. The longest explanation we have received is mainly saying: Warden is not P2W and we want to curb that narrative. Once again you can see how marketing is running the ship now, IMO. :(
    Edited by Moloch1514 on April 19, 2017 7:28PM
    PC-NA
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you heal an ally below 50% health with a green balance ability you get major mending for 6 seconds. Not misinformation, that is directly from ZOS.

You are claiming it is under 50% health. You don't know that. It could be lower than that. So what you are saying is misinformation.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all fine for a templar running as a healer to use destro but you are making it harder to be a DPS templar by taking way major mending and requaring resto staff heavy attack (which takes more time than available as opposed to Wardens just getting it passively under a condition, or even DKs which have to use a crappy shield but at least its not as long as a resto heavy attack channel. Someone who has tried frost staff tanking can tell you how this does not work. Why not just tie it to activation of the abilities rather than remove it so that way its not up so long as we just stand in a circle.

Also; major defile (think I was having a brain fart and saying maim earlier) is going to be more available particularly as more players start running wardend who will have a 28M long cone spammable for it. I thought the idea was to have each buff have a counter buff, or does that just apply to CP? I guess at least Fassala's has been nerfed
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Only Magplars have the strongest heal in the game. Us Stamplars relied heavily on Major Mending for survivability and the buff you gave our class heals through adjusting the increased healing on the other passive to compensate does not help Stamplar since we have no use for any of the class healing because it is magicka based. Fair enough that Major Mending should not have a 100% uptime but then change the way it works instead of flat out removing it. Stamplars especially heavily relied on Major Mending to augment their Vigor ticks for survivability, we need compensation. You basically nerfed Magplar and Stamplar and then only compensated Magplar. Could have nerfed the uptime instead of flat out removing the buff... Stamplar was the last spec that needed a hit to their survivability.

That said we will see how it pans out but I hope you guys have something in the works if it turns out Stamplars just got even weaker than they already are.
    Edited by Zinaroth on April 19, 2017 7:37PM
  • Blackfyre20
    Blackfyre20
    ✭✭✭✭

You are claiming it is under 50% health. You don't know that. It could be lower than that. So what you are saying is misinformation.

Go read the warden skill lines and abilities announcement
    Buff Soft Caps
  • Miswar
    Miswar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This confirms that ZoS is delusional and does not give a crap about anything than money.

Guess what my Eso+ is ending in two weeks and sure hell ain't going to pay for Morrowind which already cancelled.

Respect Deltia since he was spot on tonight. Hopefully people will vote with their wallets.

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The cute thing is that ZOS thinks people actually use healing ritual... My god how detached can you be.

• Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it fast paced action if your slowed by waiting on resources and watered down combat?
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstly, I'd like to thank @ZOS_GinaBruno for responding to the thread with such detail. However, there are some points I'd like to make. I understand that you are relaying the points from the devs, and I'm unlikely to get any counter points on this, but I'd like to make them anyway.
    It is great to hear that Warden's Major Mending uptime will be taking a hit as well. However, having to rely on a fully charged heavy attack from the Restoration Staff simply is not a reliable method to get Major Mending. Completing a heavy attack gives Major Mending for 3 seconds. A fully charged heavy attack takes 2 seconds. In order to maintain 100% uptime, you would have one second to do any action inbetween heavy attacks. Thus, having Major Mending up 100% of the time is not a feasible option.

With the heavy attacks taking 2 seconds to complete, Templars/NBs/Sorcs will have no way of getting Major Mending in dire situations, where you can't spare 2 seconds to heavy attack. This means that these classes will have no way of getting Major Mending where it really counts.

I will wait to see what the changes to the Warden passives will be, but as it is now, they will have Major Mending exactly where it counts.
    Healing Ritual is a terrible skill that no one uses. That's okay though, as Healing Springs easily replaces it as an AoE spammable.

Repentance only works on corpses, and thus is unreliable with the ebb and flow of fights. The only reason it was used in the first place was purely because of the stamina return, and not the heal itself.

I'm not completely against the Rushed Ceremony change, but perhaps Ward Ally/Healing Ward and the Matriach heal from Sorcerers should be changed the same way, for consistency?

Also, I know you are talking about Rite of Passage when you refer to a 28m healing ultimate skill, but that is actually factually incorrect. Aside from the fact that no one actually uses this skill because it simply is not that useful, it only has a 20m radius, with one morph having a 12m radius.
    But you are already balancing PvE and PvP separately for certain skills. NB's Teleport Strike for example. If you are sticking to the decision of having PvE and PvP merged in terms of balance, why not be consistent about it?

Another point that was not addressed is the reasoning behind having Necrotic Orb and Spear Shards share the synergy cooldown. This, at the very least, should be reconsidered.

Thank you again for responding, and I know I probably won't get another response, but I had to say it anyway.

Edited by Illurian on April 19, 2017 7:54PM
    Kiss the chaos.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change Repentance back, please. :smile:
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • CombatPrayer
    CombatPrayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been on the PTS. Oh have I been on the PTS. Sad face

I warned back on housing update that things were going the way of the mighty dollar. you could see the push toward the crown store. This is the newest version of it. Make Templars lack luster and remove so much from them, all their resource management while removing 100 possible CP points into cost of resources.

That is not a balance. That is a full on throttle.
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    Interesting. The longest explanation we have received is mainly saying: Warden is not P2W and we want to curb that narrative. Once again you can see how marketing is running the ship now, IMO. :(

Yep. Controlling the Narrative is objective number one.
    Edited by CombatPrayer on April 19, 2017 7:41PM
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lastly, we know there’s some apprehension that we’re balancing PvE and PvP gameplay simultaneously without separating the two. We are 100% committed to supporting a single unified game where mechanics and abilities work consistently, with the goal being for players to learn how play efficiently and be able to transfer those skills to other environments.
    Sneak attacks no longer grant a bonus to Critical Damage when used against other players. Sneak attacks will continue to guarantee a Critical Strike and stun the target, and will also still grant a bonus to Critical Damage when used against monsters.

What? :confused:

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • MrBrandon
    MrBrandon
    ✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the rationale for yanking away Templar's Major Mending but allowing Warden healers to keep it?

Money.
  • Sn1per0
    Sn1per0
    ✭✭✭

Read the patch notes. It is 50%