Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

• MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all honesty I think this is just disgusting, and I don't think Zenimax has listened to a single concern. That's it for me, no renewing my 6 month membership in March, I've already stopped playing, not so much for protest but more because I have completely lost all faith in the developer and the way this is heading, and now lost all desire to play. Go back in time to a year ago and you seemed like a great developer Zenimax, and a good team. Seriously what happened?
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacCait wrote: »
    In all honesty I think this is just disgusting, and I don't think Zenimax has listened to a single concern. That's it for me, no renewing my 6 month membership in March, I've already stopped playing, not so much for protest but more because I have completely lost all faith in the developer and the way this is heading, and now lost all desire to play. Go back in time to a year ago and you seemed like a great developer Zenimax, and a good team. Seriously what happened?

What I can't believe is they say leave your feedback on the forums, and they will read an listen to them. Yet a huge majority of that feedback was against crown crate implementation. What a disrespectful thing to do to their customers. 2.5 years of playing this game and not once have I had my respect for them so damaged.

Not only did they implement the crates regardless, nearly all feedback on how to improve them was ignored. I deleted ESO from my PS4 hard drive and won't download again unless they take steps to restore consumer confidence.
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimT722 wrote: »
    MacCait wrote: »

What I can't believe is they say leave your feedback on the forums, and they will read an listen to them. Yet a huge majority of that feedback was against crown crate implementation. What a disrespectful thing to do to their customers. 2.5 years of playing this game and not once have I had my respect for them so damaged.

Not only did they implement the crates regardless, nearly all feedback on how to improve them was ignored. I deleted ESO from my PS4 hard drive and won't download again unless they take steps to restore consumer confidence.

I just finished watching Deltia's test on the crates by spending 100$... And it just confirms the mega pages of worries and concerns we all voiced, that this is just a greedy system preying on many players addictive personalities and weakness to gambling. It's sick and disgusting.

Zenimax, a better business strategy would be to endear your fans to you. All the funds you put into developing this garbage you could have spent in developing quality crown store items that we would of all purchased. Also, by selling things at affordable proces, you encourage people to part with real money to by this digital stuff. Instead you chose a business plan of hiking your prices up to rip off status, where over the last year we've watched the prices of mounts ever climbing higher to even 5500... and now despite the overwhelming amount of comments, concerns, suggestions, and polls ALL telling you that this is a terrible idea, you just ignore it all. It's a slap in the face to all your loyal fan and playerbase. It despicable. Congrats youve just become like every other crappy developer out there. You were great, you were different, you were quality, but you sold your soul to rip off your player base. Its's insulting
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Code2501 wrote: »
    It's depressing to see where this company allocates its resources...

Rather than all the things the players have asked for:
    Weapon dyes
    Transmogrification
    PvP arena's/battlefields
    Spell Crafting
    New Classes
    Combat/Gear Balancing

They instead chose to spend time on an RNG money grab that the majority of their players clearly told them they did not want.

If they put these things on the regular crown store, instead of this gambling BS us players would have gladly bought them and been happy, but they waste development time on this cash grab instead so they can deceitfully charge on average 2-3x what they currently get from such assets.

I feel sorry for Bethesda who now have this turd associated with their IP.

All of those things you listed take time and resources with little to nothing to be expected in return. Crates were an easy implementation and it's all profit. I believe this is the new norm as we move towards a generic f2p model. I wouldn't feel too bad for Bethesda, I'd wager they pushed for this as well. Low quality f2p mmorpgs tend to be very profitable despite low user ratings and linger on for years as a dug in fan base continues to throw cash at shinies.
  • Sanguine
    Sanguine
    ✭✭
    I'm quite disappointed in this news. I have subscribed since the launch of this game and bought nearly every limited item. I would happily buy each of those mounts at the typical price you throw limited items into the Crown store for, but I will most likely not spend my money on these crates. This leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I am honestly thinking about whether or not I should keep subscribing to the game at this point. I've kept my mouth shut on many things, because I loved the game in spite of them. I'm not sure if I can stomach this change... but then again, it's not like you care.
    Username: @Sanguine_Revenant
    NA PC Server Ebonheart Pact

Grievous Aurielis (Altmer) - Sorcerer - Vampire
    Relyn Telvani (Dunmer) - Sorcerer - Vampire
    Llevan Andoril (Dunmer) - Nightblade - Werewolf
    Liuvenil (Altmer) - Templar - Vampire
    Tyreldil (Altmer) - Templar - Werewolf
    Valmion (Altmer) - Nightblade - Vampire
    Rah'Zgo (Khajiit) - Sorcerer
    Zar'Muth (Khajit) - Dragonknight
    Disrupts-The-Current (Argonian) - Nightblade
    Bites-The-Sun (Argonian) - Templar
    Azarien Sidduranit (Dunmer) - Dragonknight
    Ruvalion (Altmer) - Dragonknight

Been here since beta. Will probably stay.
  • Lord Valar
    Lord Valar
    ✭✭✭
    Well..... I like the idea, there's some nice stuff/mounts/items we can own.

But it's too random, too expensive aswell, for real, no way to buy things with a normal crown price ?
    And if I understand the topic, there will be multiple seasons for these crates ? ........... Maybe it'll work at the beginning, but not longer.

2 things : Why crates doesn't scan what we already have in collection/bags, and secondly, why (didn't try that, but saw videos and commentaries), why when we buy 15 crates and sell everything we can own around, let's say 300 gems if you're lucky => Not enough for a mount.
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    One thing they could do, is force the:
    • 4 crate pack (1500) to guarantee at least 1 memento where possible (Gem equivalent if they are all owned.)
    • 15 crate pack (5000) to guarantee at least 1 unowned mount where possible. (Gem equivalent if they are all owned.)
    The rest of the pack crates could remain random and would allow collectors to get what they want for the set price and ZoS still has the other 1/3/14 boxes under their RNG control.

I feel this would be the closest option for a best of both worlds situation without having to remove the crates, and would almost guarantee that collectors would buy the crate bundles in this case, yes it's more than a Dro'mathra Senche...

But it would be 5000 for 1 mount and 14 chances to get another/jackpot, 1500 for 1 memento and 3 chances and the single crate chance for 400.

I feel this change would be welcomed and remove a fair bit of the bad feeling towards ZoS/TESO regarding these useless, bully bulls-eye marking lumps of digital junk, It may actually make buying them fashionable.
    ----
    Can I get insightful's, agrees or awesome's if you happen to agree with me on this, thanks.
    ----
    Edited by Coolio_Wolfus on December 8, 2016 1:45AM
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • 4 crate pack (1500) to guarantee at least 1 memento where possible (Gem equivalent if they are all owned.)
    • 15 crate pack (5000) to guarantee at least 1 unowned mount where possible. (Gem equivalent if they are all owned.)
    The rest of the pack crates could remain random and would allow collectors to get what they want for the set price and ZoS still has the other 1/3/14 boxes under their RNG control.

I feel this would be the closest option for a best of both worlds situation without having to remove the crates, and would almost guarantee that collectors would buy the crate bundles in this case, yes it's more than a Dro'mathra Senche...

But it would be 5000 for 1 mount and 14 chances to get another/jackpot, 1500 for 1 memento and 3 chances and the single crate chance for 400.

I feel this change would be welcomed and remove a fair bit of the bad feeling towards ZoS/TESO regarding these useless, bully bulls-eye marking lumps of digital junk, It may actually make buying them fashionable.
    ----
    Can I get insightful's, agrees or awesome's if you happen to agree with me on this, thanks.
    ----

What if someone doesn't care about mounts? Let's they have an Argonian as a main and don't care about anything else in the crates but rooster frills and enveloping scales? Many hate the atronach stuff but really were looking forward to some of the non themed items.
  • Lord Valar
    Lord Valar
    ✭✭✭
    What if someone doesn't care about mounts? Let's they have an Argonian as a main and don't care about anything else in the crates but rooster frills and enveloping scales? Many hate the atronach stuff but really were looking forward to some of the non themed items.

Yes you're right, everyone is speaking about mounts, so do I. And I don't really like the design of all mounts (maybe 3 are nice in my point of view).
    But it's the same problem, it's random, chances for these kind of stuff, appearances (or mount ;) ) are soooooo low. and to buy it alone, it cost too much.
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭

----
    ----

Was my entire point, the crate tiers are already defined Storm Atreo Mount as top and Storm Memento as next tier down, what I was saying is they could force rng on the 1st crate of a batch for these purchase tiers, the rest of the crates would remain random rng, including any and all other drops, getting a top award you already have would still = gems so you could buy the item you really wanted.

I was trying to look at it as a this won't change what could they do to improve it for collectors.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cross-quoting from Do not by Crown Crates!!!:
    penek wrote: »
    a close call ? http://www.pcgamesn.com/china-loot-box-regulations (china government gonna force all companies to provide chances for items in "loot boxes"
    The regulation comes from China's Ministry of Culture, via NeoGAF, and states that "online game publishers shall promptly publicly announce information about the name, property, content, quantity, and draw/forge probability of all virtual items and services.

"The information on draw probability shall be true and effective."

Here's the official regulation from the Chinese government.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. ESO is not marketed in China. Perhaps this is a way to get rid of the Chinese gold sellers and bots? ZOS can block China so they don't have to tell us what the odd are. Now I am conflicted. :smile:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mordhar
    Mordhar
    ✭✭
    Unlike others, I want to tell not about my thoughts of crates, but how I started playing ESO.
    How this is relevant to topic? You will see.

Warning, this is going to be a long post.

A few years ago, I was playing another MMO (standard F2P model).
    Started at beta. There were a lot of promises. The usual stuff: “we don’t want to become another Pay-2-Win” “all items in cash-shop will be purely cosmetic”, you know the drill.

Then first “convenience items” arrived, experience buffs and such.
    Then gambling crates were added.
    And finally the first combat mount, exclusive to crates.
    I was very lucky (received it from my 3 rd crate, while others had to open 100-200). So I am not one of those who “gambled, lost and rage-quit”.

I played that game for few weeks more. Killed 4-5 player groups single-handedly, farmed instances in solo. Then I left.

No angry posts on forums, no attempts to sell account. I just removed game client from my computer and never installed it again.

Then I decided that I never again spend my time and money on another MMO. Well, I was very wrong.

I received an e-mail about new MMO game in development. It was in my favorite RPG-setting and with new “no-target” combat mechanics.
    But, more importantly it was announced as strictly subscription-based. And without in-game cash-shop. That was unusual, to say the least.

People were pointing out how stupid the decision to make game subscription-based is. Demanded that developers reconsider. Treated they will never buy the game if they must pay monthly subscription.
    But developers were adamant: they make game unlike any other on the market, and it will be by subscription only. This will allow making game fair for every player and never introducing any form of cash-shop.
    They were ready to stand by this decision despite negative comments and hatred from community.

I pre-purchased the game few days later. The name of that game was Elder Scrolls Online…

End of story.
  • lnxrwb17_ESO
    lnxrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Cross-quoting from Do not by Crown Crates!!!:
    penek wrote: »
    a close call ? http://www.pcgamesn.com/china-loot-box-regulations (china government gonna force all companies to provide chances for items in "loot boxes"
    The regulation comes from China's Ministry of Culture, via NeoGAF, and states that "online game publishers shall promptly publicly announce information about the name, property, content, quantity, and draw/forge probability of all virtual items and services.

"The information on draw probability shall be true and effective."

Here's the official regulation from the Chinese government.

No need to worry, a game like ESO can never enter Mainland China "officially" due to gore and things like skeletons/zombies/etc. But I'd love to have an East Asia server because 300ms+ latency to either NA or EU server is ****.
    You guys should start a petition for this in US or EU or UK.

As for me the crates are fine and no need to be salty, if you hate them, don't buy them. No impact on your regular gameplay.
    Warning: This comment is strongly biased because I got a Storm Atronach Senche in my 3rd crate of total 4.
    Raka-loah, from China. Currently the one and only member of Planetary Lizard Alliance(NA).

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
  • Elyndaran
    Elyndaran
    Soul Shriven
    I'm disappointed, I just tried to get at least one of these cool mounts by buying 5500 crowns + 1200 left on my account and yet did get nothing...
    I love collecting mounts and I bought almost all of them from the crown store. But I'm sad to see I won't even be able to get one with 2500 crowns anymore.
    I got a lion, at least it leave me with a lesser bad taste in my mouth but yet....
    And all the items you get, give you so few gems...

Your crates suck hard....

I prefered to buy them straight with my crowns....

Sad you're going this way with the crown store....
  • Crossx2
    Crossx2
    ✭✭✭
    This does not make me feel good about the future of this game. Any time boxes like this are added to a game it severely damages the relationship between players and publishers. They're asking us to gamble our money, and that's not okay. I'd be more than willing to buy any cool mount/outfit/personality they put out, but this is too much.
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    I still like the crown crates. I spend my extra crowns on them and some of my entertainment budget money since I didn't use it before. The best part of the Crown Crates is the cards that go with it. Much better than some games that just report what was inside in a list. I could play the card game without the wins just because it is fun and the artwork is interesting.

Since I wasn't "dying" to have anything in the loot table, I wasn't disappointed. I did get one of the special mounts.
  • TheAshenWrath
    TheAshenWrath
    Soul Shriven
    I was searching around, but I did not find any information on the subject - when do the "crown crate seasons" rotate? Will they be with every season of the year or will it be more like a monthly thing?
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was searching around, but I did not find any information on the subject - when do the "crown crate seasons" rotate? Will they be with every season of the year or will it be more like a monthly thing?
    @TheAshenWrath Quarterly. Although this first season will last for 4 months rather than 3.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp