The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do not buy Crown Crates!!!

Moltyr
Moltyr
✭✭✭
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! (unless you're super rich)

Edited title to remove caps lock and baiting language.
Edited by ZOS_DaryaK on December 1, 2016 7:51PM
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread locked in 4...3....2...
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG, how much did you spend? :open_mouth:

Do damage, don't die.
    He's the healer Tamriel deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hurt his tank. Because he can heal them to full. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful rejuvinator. A Cloaked Healer.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA
    Ticktick-Argonian Nightblade Healer/Magicka DPS
    Tinytick- Imperial DK Tank
    Wuches Y'Shaur- V16 High Elf Sorc Magicka DPS
    Ticktator- Dunmer DK Magicka DPS
    Tick Head- Dark Elf Magicka NB DPS

GM:
    Mercs Of Sovngarde (EP/NA): AA (HM), HRC (HM), VSO (HM), VDSA, VMSA complete
    Vet Maw 4/5

• FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I got a mount after a few boxes got the 15 bundle was not a rip off imo
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a rip-off because your result is anomalous. Most people will not get one so quickly, and in fact many people won't get one at all even if they spend loads trying.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1 man got lucky folks. You've read it here. Not a scam. :D
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How much is the 15 pack?
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Deltia just blew 100 dollars on them on YouTube... total pile of junk except for a nice tattoo that I would have happily bought separately, this whole thing is ***!!!!
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a scam. You know what you're getting into. You're all scamming yourself and blaming the dealer because you think hitting on a 20 is a good idea.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    National Problem Gambling Helpline Network (1-800-522-4700).

Every ethical gambling company posts the odds of winning AND provides information on how to get help. Las vegas is required by the Nevada Gaming commission to both post odds of every game and provide resources to fight gambling addiction.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on December 1, 2016 8:13PM
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy them thinking the mounts and cool stuff is guaranteed. You realize that there is something in life called luck, right? Some people have it good, others (like you in this case) have it bad.
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• LiquidSchwartz
    LiquidSchwartz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a scam. You know what you're getting into. You're all scamming yourself and blaming the dealer because you think hitting on a 20 is a good idea.
    Couldn't say it any better. Don't buy it if you don't wanna chance your money. I see it this way, buy like one or two when u got spare crowns
    May the Schwartz be with you.
    EP/XB1/NA

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If, like your referenced blackjack table, the odds and rules of the game were disclosed up front then no, it would not be a scam.

Crown crates, however, are absolutely a scam.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • leipatemeibbaa
    leipatemeibbaa
    ✭✭✭
    If you feel like you can't afford the lost then just don't buy it.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People will do what they want to do, and spend their money how they want to, not based on anyone's opinion, I am not buying any until I see improvements in the game and zos taking a more active stance on cheaters and exploiters.

Some folks will buy them and have fun with them as intended, and that's ok. :)

I wish everyone good luck, hope the crates are in your favor. :)

The whole crown crate thing is blown out to crazy there is nothing in the crown crates that is NEEDED, it is all wanted maybe, life will go on this knee jerk reaction will blow over like they all do /shrug
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on December 1, 2016 7:20PM
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't say it any better. Don't buy it if you don't wanna chance your money. I see it this way, buy like one or two when u got spare crowns

You may know what you're getting into; but not everyone does. It should be more explicitly clear in many people's opinion :)
    He's the healer Tamriel deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hurt his tank. Because he can heal them to full. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful rejuvinator. A Cloaked Healer.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA

GM:
    Vet Maw 4/5

• borgking
    borgking
    ✭✭✭
    I highly doubt it is a scam but I do believe the odds are stacked against the general masses who purchase them to get what they hope for, without having to spend to much.
    OFC...those who are lucky to get whatever they're after early will be the ones that encourage the doubters to buy them with their joyous claims of success.
    the creators are a business that simply require profit to stay afloat, like any other business, why or how the millions of sales from the game purchase and subscriptions and crown store sales are not enough for them is a little beyond me..but I guess thats capitalism for ya.
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    image.jpg
    You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. These are Team Fortress crates but instead of buying keys, they cut out the middleman and just sell you the crates.

If you can't cut it, don't buy it. That simple. Being angry because you aren't getting exactly what you want upfront is just being silly.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, they are in fact a scam. The very definition of offering something that someone knows you want while using sleight of hand and tricky means to get you to keep upping the ante to get what you want.

Notably not everyone who plays ESO is sitting here with Yolokin and I, trolling the forums, nude at our PCs except for out open front silk kimonos covered in elegant kelp and koi embroidery, holding hands and singing Adele songs.

Some people only belatedly realize they've been tricked into trying something presented as fun, but in reality a way to get you to spend far more on a chance to get the item you want, rather than simply buying it outright.

That's the whole point of the scam and the *** of Pacrooti and the silence on their part.

You can actually hear their PR flak and "monetization Linda" saying, "OK, I know they're mad but trust us, despite all the promises gone back on and ever decreasing content let's just let this play out and then analyze the numbers."

Which is why we're trying so, so hard to talk sense to them. But, you know, they're so much smarter than their entire fan base they'll never make a misstep. Right?
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except with blackjack, you know the odds. With ZOS's magick RNG system, there is no way of knowing and they aren't disclosing their odds and they methods of RNG which every ethical gambling company does.

I don't see why anyone who got 5 powered ice staves in a row from maelstrom would ever open a clown crate.
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    borgking wrote: »
    I highly doubt it is a scam but I do believe the odds are stacked against the general masses who purchase them to get what they hope for, without having to spend to much.
    OFC...those who are lucky to get whatever they're after early will be the ones that encourage the doubters to buy them with their joyous claims of success.
    the creators are a business that simply require profit to stay afloat, like any other business, why or how the millions of sales from the game purchase and subscriptions and crown store sales are not enough for them is a little beyond me..but I guess thats capitalism for ya.

People would argue that it's a scam because it raises the "guaranteed" price of a mount from 5k crowns to 15k crowns without making it explicit... And while it's a popular counterargument to say that "you can get it for cheaper if you're lucky"; does that chance offset the 200% price increase of guaranteedly getting it?

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA

GM:
    Vet Maw 4/5

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    National Problem Gambling Helpline Network (1-800-522-4700).

Every ethical gambling company provides information on how to get help. Las vegas is required by the Nevada Gaming commission to provide resources to fight gambling addition.

This is the single best post I've seen today.

Here's the thing ... I am a gambler. I used to pay my rent playing poker for a living. It's hard to do for even the most patient and detail oriented people, let alone those of you with access to other people's credit cards. Never gamble with money you cannot afford to lose and never play a game where you don't know THE EXACT ODDS of winning.

I agree that it's shady the odds aren't disclosed but all of you know that and you're stilll playing. That's on you.

If you're dropping hundreds, just stop and call that number. It sounds silly but you'd rather do it now than after a weekend binder in Vegas.
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    wibble
    I don't see why anyone who got 5 powered ice staves in a row from maelstrom would ever open a clown crate.

Simple. They don't. This isn't a mandatory thing.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moltyr wrote: »
    DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! (unless you're super rich)

People would not stop seeing Storm Mounts, they are just awesome!

You also deserve temporary ban for defaming offical release as scam and discouraging others
    Edited by Lord_Eomer on December 1, 2016 6:54PM
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    ArrerBoy wrote: »
    wibble

Simple. They don't. This isn't a mandatory thing.

No one says that it is. People (many people) are just pointing out that it's a bad deal. The response that "it's not mandatory" is neither here, nor there; really. It's a game, nothing really is mandatory. It doesn't make crown crates any better though.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA

GM:
    Vet Maw 4/5

• ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    wibble

No one says that it is. [/quote]

Yet everyone acts like it.
    People (many people) are just pointing out that it's a bad deal. ...It doesn't make crown crates any better though.

So don't buy it. I don't see why this is so difficult to grasp.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not buying isn't enough. The practice of selling them should be discouraged. If you aren't helping that then you're complicit in it. I don't see why this is so difficult to grasp.
    Edited by Recremen on December 1, 2016 7:00PM
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Shad0wfire99
    Shad0wfire99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'm just gonna start referring to them as "Clown Crates."

XBox NA
  • omfgitsbatman
    omfgitsbatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    wibble

No one says that it is.

Yet everyone acts like it.
    People (many people) are just pointing out that it's a bad deal. ...It doesn't make crown crates any better though.

[/quote]

I think you are missing the point, by once again bringing up the irrelevant "it's not mandatory" point :) the forums are (currently) used as a platform to warn others that it's a bad deal.. you either think it's evident or don't agree; which is fine. If it's evident, you can say that; if you think it's a good deal, you can explain how.. The "it's not mandatory"; thing (as explained above) is not constructive, nor too relevant.

@Omfgitsbatman PC/NA

GM:
    Vet Maw 4/5

• Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    Notably not everyone who plays ESO is sitting here with Yolokin and I, trolling the forums, nude at our PCs except for out open front silk kimonos covered in elegant kelp and koi embroidery, holding hands and singing Adele songs.

How did you know? The airflow on these kimonos is quite incredible.
  • ArrerBoy
    ArrerBoy
    ✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    The practice of selling them should be discouraged. If you aren't helping that then you're complicit in it. I don't see why this is so difficult to grasp.

Okay let me take this slowly then.

If something doesn't sell well, you pull it from the market. That is good business practice.

As of now with people buying them by the truckload, complaining about it rings hollow because it still sends the message you're willing to pay for it no matter how much you don't like it.

This discussion has been closed.