Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

• Logicbomb00
    Logicbomb00
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some people (not here, but elsewhere on other sites and in chat) say they're going to openly laugh and mock people who sport crown crate exclusives. Whether that becomes true or not, and just how widespread it may be if it is true... I don't know and really cannot know. Personally, as much as I'd almost want to, I don't really advocate for that as I believe in people buying what they want with their own money for whatever reason they want. Even if I think it's a bad move. But that's not to say others will restrain themselves from such. Given how much backlash there has been with no real give on it from ZOS, I wouldn't be surprised if some people did go right to the source - the people who buy them in the first place. Again, no idea how widespread it would be if anyone even does do that, but it is something to think about.

Hmmm. I'm not one to individually harass people over their choices, but I'm also one that kinda gets caught up in mob mentalities. If I came across 15-20 people jeering and /thumbsdown-ing someone on an atronach mount, I wouldn't be able to help joining in and condemning them along with the others......

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shadoza wrote: »
    MBite wrote: »
    "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

Ok guys, put your hands up, i want to see who welcomes them. No dont be shy, i dont have axe, maybe... no no, just put your hands up.

Anyway, trash for 400 crowns, thats must buy /s :D
    I'm waiting to see what items will be only exclusive in future, I hope nothing. Sadly hope died today.

O/
    I welcome them. I have many crowns and nothing I want to purchase in the store...so now I have a place to put those membership crowns :smiley:

@shadoza

Then why not advocate for the items to be sold directly, instead of having to gamble for them? You'd still have a place to spend all the crowns that you're apparently sitting around on. I mean you do actually want the items, right? And hey, you know what's even better about direct sales? You actually get the goods and services you were looking for! So if you want the items locked behind the gambling boxes, you ought to be super ticked that you might spend all those crowns you have saved up and not get anything.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So while I am not against any of this. It does take quite the nerve using the word "welcomes" in the title of this article. Really? Does it look like it is being welcomed? If I'd get such a welcome somewhere I'd be sure not to let the door hit me on the way out.

I have defended these crates, and I still don't really care they are there. But with such an outcry on the forums you dare say they are welcomed? If you want to make the impression that you do not read what your community thinks at all, well, congratulations, you hit it spot on.

Your marketing strategy keeps baffling me. It's almost an insult.
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    XRavishX wrote: »
    I don't see the problem with the crown crates. Yeah, they're RNG, but it's gambling. People still drop $5, $10, or $20 on scratch off tickets that more often than not net them with either a free ticket to try again or nothing at all, yet you don't see people whining about how bad the RNG win rate is. They still go out and buy them not because they're guaranteed a win, but because they might.

Crown crates are better than the normal lottery because you'll at always get at least something of value be it in the form of some item or converted gems to spend later once you've saved enough. Simply put, you always win. And, just like with the standard lottery you can choose to participate or not. There's nothing that forces anyone to buy the crates nor does anyone lose anything by not buying them. All the items are either aesthetic or have questionable usefulness. In other words, those that do buy the crates don't end up more powerful than those that don't.

So, for those of you who like gambling, I think this is probably a decent way to fulfill that itch. For those that don't, you can rest assured that you're not missing out on anything useful. For those that want to collect absolutely everything in the game, I guess you're SOL unless you wanna drop beaucoup bucks on a lottery. At least, in the end, the mad cash you spent will get you something, unlike actual lottery. In the end, people will play the crown crate lottery because people like gambling. I know I will.

Good luck!

Welcome to the party, better late than never.

In other news, your local grocery store has introduced a new concept. Mystery Food Bags. Rather than walking up and down aisles, you just buy a Food Bag for US$5 and get a random assortment of 4, sometimes 5, items from the store. In each bag, everyone is guaranteed one or more choice items from our stock of ramen noodle soups and meat broths, plus you get a chance to get one exclusive prime cut of meat, as well as many new items not available in the store, like premium bakery items and special purchases. What's more, if you get a second item from the meat or bakery departments, you can turn it in for a special token that you can spend on exclusive Food Bag foods!

Let me also tell you about the cool new Mystery Car program that your local car dealer is coming out with. For a low low US$15,000, you are guaranteed a random car from our line of used cars, or even a chance to get the latest Italian sports cars! If you buy two packages, you get to keep both cars! Details next week.

I know you are looking forward to this. People like gambling.

:smile: Enjoy your RNG gamble boxes. I am absolutely certain that you will be satisfied with each and every one of them.

#StillABetterLoveStoryThanTwilight

#StillABetterDealThanCrownCrates
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being able to trade in consumables for gems is good. I might consider these crates now.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »
    So while I am not against any of this. It does take quite the nerve using the word "welcomes" in the title of this article. Really? Does it look like it is being welcomed? If I'd get such a welcome somewhere I'd be sure not to let the door hit me on the way out.

I have defended these crates, and I still don't really care they are there. But with such an outcry on the forums you dare say they are welcomed? If you want to make the impression that you do not read what your community thinks at all, well, congratulations, you hit it spot on.

Your marketing strategy keeps baffling me. It's almost an insult.

It is an insult given how vocal prominent and appreciated members of the ESO community have been about these lucky dips... particularly over the last couple of days.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS is releasing these as a mean to increase their revenue. They are, after all, a business, who depends on revenue to fund development, pay employees, and reward investors. Seeing how ZOS decided to split the loot tables into "seasons", I suspect that after the first season, the marketing department will look at numbers:

- How much did we make selling crates?
    - How much did it cost to design the exclusive items?

Then a purely financial decision might be made. If they don't sell enough crates to justify developing exclusives, then they will consider their options:

- Drop prices
    - Increase drop rate / desirability of crate content
    - Sell the exclusive items separately, at a higher price than the usual item
    - Drop the whole idea

However if they do generate enough sales to justify the increased development cost, then all the naysayers will have been wrong, and they will keep going ahead with it, with the income increase benefiting everyone involved (both at ZOS and in the player base).

They make nothing selling Crown Crates.

They make money from us in four ways. They sell the initial game license, they sell Crowns, they sell ESO Plus subscriptions, they sell merchandise in the Bethesda ESO Store.

With Crowns, it does not matter what you purchase in the Store, or if you purchase anything at all. What Crown Crates do is deplete Crown reserves and encourage purchase of additional Crowns. This can be done with any purchase from the Crown Store, as long as they keep stuff in the Store to purchase. It does not have to be Crown Crates.

Crown Crates have a dubious property in that they prey on the fact that most consumers greatly over estimate their odds of winning something in a lottery or raffle, and are willing to back up their lack of predictive ability with cash. This gives Crates the advantage in the Store because ZOS has to do nothing and people will just keep buying them. With everything else in the Store, they have to come up with a new lineup every month in order to keep people buying stuff.

In the end, the accountants only see two important revenue numbers, the amount of revenue from the sale of Crowns, and the amount of revenue from the sale of ESO Plus.
    MadLarkin wrote: »
    I've been gaming for 25 years and the market is finally (over)saturated enough that I can pick and choose where my money goes. Thing is, I WANT some of my money to go to ESO. I love the Elder Scrolls franchise and was super excited because this is the first MMO I've tried that my wife didn't hate immediately.

Subscribe to ESO Plus. Don't buy Crown Crates. These are the two things I suggest for anyone who likes the game and feels this way, but does not like Crown Crates. The more people who do this, the bigger the message to ZOS and Bethesda.
    Let's say I get the Frost Mare mount in a Crown Crate (that I already have and spent around 2500 Crowns for) does this mean that I'll be able to swap it for 2500 Crowns worth of Crown Gems?

I am pretty sure that was not the case on PTS. You did not get "full value" for you prior purchase.
    Who do I gotta tag to get some info about actual content updates and future plans? @ZOS_HeatherPowers?

You might as well write a letter to Santa Claus. She has never posted anything, has no visits, and was last active back in April. If she gets anything from the forum, she gets it from the Community Managers, or some one paid to browse the forum.

Edited by Elsonso on November 30, 2016 12:27AM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    MBite wrote: »
    "ESO Welcomes Crown Crates"

Ok guys, put your hands up, i want to see who welcomes them. No dont be shy, i dont have axe, maybe... no no, just put your hands up.

Anyway, trash for 400 crowns, thats must buy /s :D
    I'm waiting to see what items will be only exclusive in future, I hope nothing. Sadly hope died today.

O/
    I welcome them. I have many crowns and nothing I want to purchase in the store...so now I have a place to put those membership crowns :smiley:

@shadoza

Then why not advocate for the items to be sold directly, instead of having to gamble for them? You'd still have a place to spend all the crowns that you're apparently sitting around on. I mean you do actually want the items, right? And hey, you know what's even better about direct sales? You actually get the goods and services you were looking for! So if you want the items locked behind the gambling boxes, you ought to be super ticked that you might spend all those crowns you have saved up and not get anything.

Where is the fun in that? I like the gambling boxes. I purchase the Mystery Boxes from The Secret World and have no issues with the randomness of it.
    Actually, no, I do not want the special items, just the fun of opening a crate to see what is inside. I have enough mounts and pets. So, if I never get the special items, no problem with me.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I welcome them.

We want ZOS to make money, as we want to see more of Tamriel. Given that requirement, tossing cosmetics and consumables into gamblecrates is harmless in terms of game balance.

If they put dreugh wax or VMSA weapons in the crates, that would bother me. I already played Archeage, and I'm not interested in more P2W. Mount skins, however, are not P2W.
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The sad part is that ZOS spent all that time, money, and resources creating something that the majority of the ESO community could care less about, instead of new content, rebalancing, bug fixing, and other issues that we really do care about. Epic fail.
  • kamimark
    kamimark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    kamimark wrote: »
    MadLarkin wrote: »
    I am against WoW being B2P + Subscription AND having a cash shop on top of it, hence why I've never played it. Unturned is F2P from a small developer. It isn't a large studio with multiple revenue sources on three major platforms. CS:GO also has a $15 price point, skins can drop directly, and you can buy what you want directly from the Steam marketplace without having to gamble.

Whether the skin is gambling-only or bought with cash, it's still just a skin. It makes zero difference to your gameplay.

Just because they don't change gameplay doesn't mean people don't put value on them for other reasons.
    And they do actually have the possibility of changing gameplay for people who partake in RP.

*rides in on a glowing atronach horse, dismounts, and cringing stableboy takes it away*
    You already have to emote most of your props for roleplay. This week, there's no atronach horse at all. Next week, the game is not ruined because someone else might have a skin and you're still typing the emote.

There's a world of difference between pay-to-win like buying a giant potato nuke in FarmClanWars, and having to use a teeny tiny little smidgen of imagination when role-playing.

The sheer, terrified, unfounded panic on display here is… I've never seen anything like it, in 30+ years of playing online games since early BBS's.
    Kitty Rainbow Dash. pick, pick, stab.
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyone in here talking about welcoming these things to support future projects and content, but I can't get a straight answer anywhere on what if any future content is planned. Haven't had a quality expansion added since Orsinium so what's up? You got the dweebs and basement dwellers ready to drop bank for the thrill of opening the box and not the items within. So what are you gonna do with that money?
    Edited by Callous2208 on November 30, 2016 12:45AM
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    another senseless cash grab.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone in here talking about welcoming these things to support future projects and content, but I can't get a straight answer anywhere on what if any future content is planned. Haven't had a quality expansion added since Orsinium so what's up? You got the dweebs and basement dwellers ready to drop bank for the thrill of opening the box and not the items within. So what are you gonna do with that money?

Because I do not share you opinion, this makes me a "dweeb and Basement dweller?" Seriously, we have a full basement, but no one and nothing lives down there...it's used for utility and emergency only. I enjoy the thrill of the chase and it never matters if I catch something...nothing wrong with that.

As a supporter of the Crown Crates, I do not care where the money goes. Once it leaves my hand it is no longer mine and not on my mind.
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some people (not here, but elsewhere on other sites and in chat) say they're going to openly laugh and mock people who sport crown crate exclusives. Whether that becomes true or not, and just how widespread it may be if it is true... I don't know and really cannot know. Personally, as much as I'd almost want to, I don't really advocate for that as I believe in people buying what they want with their own money for whatever reason they want. Even if I think it's a bad move. But that's not to say others will restrain themselves from such. Given how much backlash there has been with no real give on it from ZOS, I wouldn't be surprised if some people did go right to the source - the people who buy them in the first place. Again, no idea how widespread it would be if anyone even does do that, but it is something to think about.

Hmmm. I'm not one to individually harass people over their choices, but I'm also one that kinda gets caught up in mob mentalities. If I came across 15-20 people jeering and /thumbsdown-ing someone on an atronach mount, I wouldn't be able to help joining in and condemning them along with the others......

@ZOS_GinaBruno These kinds of scenarios possibly arising are a serious problem that should be addressed, even from the marketing point of view. And those scenarios may or may not be limited to just crate exlusive items: people who never bought a crate own retired items now put in crates; some newer players might not even realise its an old retired item.
    I would not want to be made to feel bad for owning an item that originally brought me hours of joy :(. And it may very well happen to many people whether they got their items earlier or from crates.
    (Also being unwilling advertisement for crates when using old exlusive/retired items gives bad vibe to many who dont embrace the crates but love their old items.)
    I was once called a "rich *** ", propably by some little kid, when changing and dyeing multiple costumes at the the dye station; that made me laugh. But being mocked for this crate shenenegans sake would make me angry.
    Most other mmos with mystery boxes give some sort of chances of obtaining a freebie now and then; naturally to get new people to buy boxes, but quite possibly also to avoid their box customers getting harrassed for sporting the items.

Giving a monthly free crate (even if to subscribers only) would make it better.
    Putting all the non themed items in the store some time after the crate season is over, and cycling retired items in the store would make it hugely better and lessen the hate toward crates a lot!
    Community does not seem to "welcome" the crates very well so far ;).
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because I do not share you opinion, this makes me a "dweeb and Basement dweller?" Seriously, we have a full basement, but no one and nothing lives down there...it's used for utility and emergency only. I enjoy the thrill of the chase and it never matters if I catch something...nothing wrong with that.

As a supporter of the Crown Crates, I do not care where the money goes. Once it leaves my hand it is no longer mine and not on my mind.

The opinions of people who are addicted to throwing their money away and admittedly have no concern for the direction of the video game they're playing, do not concern me. I don't go and laugh at the people leaving the casino looking like they are a breath away from jumping off a bridge, nor do I care to acknowledge their stories about how much they enjoy the thrill of the chase. I am here to play a video game. As such, content is priority one, quality of life features and side distractions follow after. This is an mmorpg and not an online casino, therefore the focus shouod remain on the things i have asked about. I would however, not mind it if they milked you good folks who love gambling dry, in an effort to bring new and fantastic actual content to this video game, for those of us who are here to play a video game. Since...this is a video game.

Edited all the name calling and curse words out cuz I'm on thin ice.
    Edited by Callous2208 on November 30, 2016 1:25AM
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭

They make money from us in four ways. They sell the initial game license, they sell Crowns, they sell ESO Plus subscriptions, they sell merchandise in the Bethesda ESO Store.

With Crowns, it does not matter what you purchase in the Store, or if you purchase anything at all. What Crown Crates do is deplete Crown reserves and encourage purchase of additional Crowns.

That's a contradiction there. You say yourself that crown crates will encourage the purchase of additional Crowns. Then looks to me that selling Crown Crates does allow them to make money.

• AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS ZOS, YOU HAVE COMPLETED PHASE 2 IN THE HISTORIC PROCESS OF A GAME GOING TO A PAY-2-WIN MODEL CROWN STORE. SOON WE WILL SEE GEAR SETS ON CROWN STORE THAT OUTPERFORM ANY AND ALL CRAFTED, DROPPED, OR PURCHASED GEARS IN BOTH PVE AND PVP ASPECTS OF THE GAME.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miaura wrote: »

That was suggested back when they were on PTS.

They cannot do this. They depend upon people thinking that they will win something, and they want those 400 Crowns deducted from player reserves every time the player get cocky and tries to prove that Crown Crates have good stuff in them.

• DerAlleinTiger
    DerAlleinTiger
    ✭✭✭✭
    kamimark wrote: »
    The sheer, terrified, unfounded panic on display here is… I've never seen anything like it, in 30+ years of playing online games since early BBS's.

There's your problem. You're confusing 'panic' with frustration at a lack of connection between ZOS and their community, exhaustion at seeing what was a solid business model reach out with squid arms to rake in every penny possible from whales, disappointment in the direction the game is being dragged by its own creators, and perhaps even a bit of spite felt towards those whales themselves for giving the creators a reason to take a mile when everyone is normally happy to give them more than a few inches for wiggle room.

There are those who no matter what would will not give a single inch and expect ZOS to magically make money, yes. You get those in any situation with any company with any game. Everyone drowns them out. But this is very vocal, very active, and loyal community members and people who have been subbed since day 1 of launch who've stuck by the game through the launch woes, through the VR grind, through the lessons of Craglorn, through the launch of TU and the Crown store, through the further lessons of Imperial City, through the launch of 1T, through the countless balance changes and gear reworks... and they are concerned. It is not a panic but rather those who've stuck with the game raising their hand and saying "Hey, remember us? We're a thing? We're rather concerned about this change and aren't big on what it points to. Mind listening for once, even for just a minute here?"

If you insist on conflating genuine customer wariness of the products they purchase and companies they support with those who expect said companies to magically make money without giving an inch then you are no better than the latter. For like their protestations at anything and everything done by the company, it only ignores the real situation and possible concessions in favor of dismissal of anything that isn't in 100% agreement with one's thoughts. And it should be remembered that often something's most vocal critics are the people who appreciate it the most, whether their scrutiny proves necessary or not.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Miaura wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno These kinds of scenarios possibly arising are a serious problem that should be addressed, even from the marketing point of view. And those scenarios may or may not be limited to just crate exlusive items: people who never bought a crate own retired items now put in crates; some newer players might not even realise its an old retired item.
    I would not want to be made to feel bad for owning an item that originally brought me hours of joy :(. And it may very well happen to many people whether they got their items earlier or from crates.
    (Also being unwilling advertisement for crates when using old exlusive/retired items gives bad vibe to many who dont embrace the crates but love their old items.)
    I was once called a "rich *** ", propably by some little kid, when changing and dyeing multiple costumes at the the dye station; that made me laugh. But being mocked for this crate shenenegans sake would make me angry.
    Most other mmos with mystery boxes give some sort of chances of obtaining a freebie now and then; naturally to get new people to buy boxes, but quite possibly also to avoid their box customers getting harrassed for sporting the items.

Putting all the non themed items in the store some time after the crate season is over, and cycling retired items in the store would make it hugely better and lessen the hate toward crates a lot!
    Community does not seem to "welcome" the crates very well so far ;).

That's one side of it. On reddit someone posted they would slow walk their sparky mount in front other players to troll them if they got one. The whole endeavor invites added toxicity into the game.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With Crowns, it does not matter what you purchase in the Store, or if you purchase anything at all. What Crown Crates do is deplete Crown reserves and encourage purchase of additional Crowns.

That's a contradiction there. You say yourself that crown crates will encourage the purchase of additional Crowns. Then looks to me that selling Crown Crates does allow them to make money.

They make money selling Crowns, not Crown Crates. All that matters, at the end of the day, is how much revenue they make from the Crowns they sell. Not how many Crown Crates.

Edit: With my ESO Plus Crowns, I can buy 45 Crown Crates during a year and not have to buy a single additional Crown. This nets ZOS absolutely no extra revenue from me. None. Zip. Were I to do this, the Crown Crates would simply be part of my ESO Plus subscription.

I won't be using my ESO Plus Crowns for this, just to be clear.
    Edited by Elsonso on November 30, 2016 1:45AM
  • shadoza
    shadoza
    ✭✭✭

The opinions of people who are addicted to throwing their money away and admittedly have no concern for the direction of the video game they're playing, do not concern me. I don't go and laugh at the people leaving the casino looking like they are a breath away from jumping off a bridge, nor do I care to acknowledge their stories about how much they enjoy the thrill of the chase. I am here to play a video game. As such, content is priority one, quality of life features and side distractions follow after. This is an mmorpg and not an online casino, therefore the focus shouod remain on the things i have asked about. I would however, not mind it if they milked you good folks who love gambling dry, in an effort to bring new and fantastic actual content to this video game, for those of us who are here to play a video game. Since...this is a video game.

You are making assumptions. I do not gamble. I do not pay for the crowns; they are provided via my membership...which I do pay for. But I think I get your message. You are saying that your own opinion is what is important to you. Many, if not all, think that way. However, I disagree with your delivery.

I believe more players enjoy the Crown Crates than is what is represented here. Time will certainly tell. In the game The Secret World, some players were very vocal about the introduction of a "loot crate" into the store. The folks felt certain that no one would purchase them. They became the TSW's top seller from the store. Because the "loot crates" were so popular, themed bags, and party bags, were introduced. They, too, are best sellers. The crown crates might be a best seller for TESO as well.
  • fr33r4ng3r
    fr33r4ng3r
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking as a collector this news is just one more thing to throw onto the giant trash fire that is 2016. Here's hoping for a kinder 2017 and perhaps the chance to buy these exclusive items directly (perhaps once the season is over, I don't need to be first, I just want to be able to choose).
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lies,I haven't welcomed anything they've done in months
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You are making assumptions. I do not gamble. I do not pay for the crowns; they are provided via my membership...which I do pay for. But I think I get your message. You are saying that your own opinion is what is important to you. Many, if not all, think that way. However, I disagree with your delivery.

I believe more players enjoy the Crown Crates than is what is represented here. Time will certainly tell. In the game The Secret World, some players were very vocal about the introduction of a "loot crate" into the store. The folks felt certain that no one would purchase them. They became the TSW's top seller from the store. Because the "loot crates" were so popular, themed bags, and party bags, were introduced. They, too, are best sellers. The crown crates might be a best seller for TESO as well.

I know what you're saying, but I still refuse to see this side of it. Im not arguing that no one will purchase them. Im not saying that they won't be a roaring success. The reason I despise them and write off those who love them? Despite all of those glorious sales and influx of cash, I have yet to see a link to better gameplay, more updates, investment into the longevity of the title within games who implement these crates. I'm here to play the game, spend money every now and then on things that improve my gameplay experience. Logging in and paying money to roll the dice, with no gurantee of getting such an item, while updates and expansions take a backseat, is not what I look for in an mmorpg. Is it rude of me to discredit those who didn't come here to play an rpg but instead a slot machine simulator? Yep, but that's how I feel.
  • Lykanus
    Lykanus
    ✭✭✭

Well i do not enjoy Crown Crates, cause they are a rip-off and extreme customer unfriendly.
    Sure there sadly is a market of willing costumers that exactly do what marketing experts are planning with them.
    The only hope here is that this community has an higher intelligence grade(at least more mature) then the usual mmo pc game so that they actual think before buying what they want to support and what is a FAIR trade for customers.

Cause no one can say that its a profit for customers having to gamble for a crate to might getting something they never wanted, just having to spend more and more - a fair price with a direct sale of items isnt THAT bad for ZOS and would be fair for a customer to decide if they want that item, as they know exactly the price.
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They make money selling Crowns, not Crown Crates. All that matters, at the end of the day, is how much revenue they make from the Crowns they sell. Not how many Crown Crates.

Edit: With my ESO Plus Crowns, I can buy 45 Crown Crates during a year and not have to buy a single additional Crown. This nets ZOS absolutely no extra revenue from me. None. Zip. Were I to do this, the Crown Crates would simply be part of my ESO Plus subscription.

If they see a significant increase in crown purchases and also many crown crate purchases, I'm going to say I believe they will see the connection, and will see the introduction of crown crates as a "huge success". If however, they do not see an increase in crown purchases and little to no crown crate purchases, I would think that would be a message that their crown crates failed. Am I wrong here?
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they see a significant increase in crown purchases and also many crown crate purchases, I'm going to say I believe they will see the connection, and will see the introduction of crown crates as a "huge success". If however, they do not see an increase in crown purchases and little to no crown crate purchases, I would think that would be a message that their crown crates failed. Am I wrong here?

We've been giving them feedback for years and they ignore it,why would they start now?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "You will also have the option to convert several items obtained from Crown Crates to Crown Gems any time you want. Items that can be manually converted include potions, poisons, riding lessons, experience scrolls, and other utility-type items. Any Crown Gems you earn can then be used to purchase the collectible items of your choosing from the current Crown Crate season."

A major improvement, for those that want to try these crates out anyway.