The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Official Discussion Thread for Weapon Ultimates

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two Handers are the most lethal build in the game right now with incredible burst potential. Giving that kind of build mitigation while removing mitigation, or CC immunity is insane. As someone already mentioned there are immovable pots that this will be combined with, not to mention snare immunity from shuffle, and root immunity from the 2h skill line.

Why? Who in their right mind would take a monster dps, that already has 20% I frame dodge, perma dodge roll with I frames, and 4.5k vigor ticks that you can't defend against because in most cases they are penetration all your armor and give them perma CC immunity so you can't get a single break from the damage, or all the mitigation you are wearing so you can't even hurt them when you're lucky enough to land a hit.

Like someone else said, WTB your bath salts. I would be eating faces if I took as much as would be required to make this sort of monster in PvP. Whoever is doing this needs to be moved or forced to PvP. He/She is destroying the game because they have no comprehension of the consequences that come from the things they develop in isolation with no understanding of the game as a whole.

We should be seeing balance updates right now, but instead you going full speed ahead down the same course that led to the current imbalances. I don't know what is going on up there at ZOS, but you have a problem, and you need to fix it. This update feels more like a shark jump than a game improvement and you are in no position to be jumping sharks. You should be strengthening the core game, not jumping sharks while your game is falling apart. This is like putting a new sound system in a car that doesn't even run.
    Edited by Armitas on September 4, 2016 10:35AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • PureEnvelope35
    PureEnvelope35
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a stam user having dueled against several mag builds I can say that the Eye of the Storm ultimate is powerful, But the other morph is weak and also the cost is far too high for the ultimate itself to be good on anything that isn't an ult regen build or emperor. Whereas the 2 Handed ultimate does an extreme amount of damage at a reasonably low cost.

I personally think that the Destro ult needs atleast 125-175 cost to be of any use in pvp, and the alternative morph perhaps needs to be changed from being a ground based AoE Which are some of if not the easiest ultimates to avoid.
    • Fashion is the true endgame.
    • PC EU
    • EP Astera the Charlatan Stamina Arcanist (PvE)
    • EP Malina the Pure Stamina Warden (PvP)
    • EP Athena the Pure Stamina Dragonknight (PvP)
    • EP Elizabeth the Pure Stamina Sorcerer (PvP)
    • DC Bonneville the Pure Magicka Dragonknight (PvE)
    • DC Lyudmila the Omen Stamina Necromancer (PvE)
    • DC Breña the Pure Stamina Nightblade (PvP)
    • DC Cirise the Pure Magicka Warden (PvP)
    • DC Melinda the Omen Stamina Necromancer (PvP)
    • DC Adeliane the Pure Magicka Templar (PvP)
    • AD Valencia the Pure Magicka Dragonknight (PvE)
    • AD Do'Nhadir Stamina Nightblade (PvP)
    • AD Xiphias Sword-Like-Comet Stamgicka Warden (PvP)
    • AD Eleanora the Pure Stamina Sorcerer (PvE)
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not impressed.

Whoever is in charge of this *** needs some time off.

Stam ultis are broken af.

Who makes these calls??
    Edited by Hempyre on September 4, 2016 11:02AM
  • Humatiel
    Humatiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hempyre wrote: »
    This is ***.

Who ever since s in "charge" of this *** shouldn't be.
    I would say the 2H is OP, but there's a move called Radiant Destruction in this game so I think it's perfectly balanced :wink:

Go *** yourself dumb *** idiot.

In all fairness Jesusbeam has become more and more powerful in pve with bosses having 60m health. Cant speak to pvp of course.

OT: now that we've seen ~100 pages of Destro ranting across multiple threads I don't suppose anyone in zos wants to throw a bone this way on the "official" thread and prove they all arent taking there vacation days at the same time.
    Edited by Humatiel on September 4, 2016 11:07AM
    VMA | vHRC-HM | vAA-HM | vSO-HM | vMOL-HM
    700+ CP
    GM of Luxury Raids
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    I have tried a few (3) weapon ultimates in combat and these are my thoughts on each:

Two-Handed -
    Seems powerful or even overpowered on paper but comes out lackluster in practice. The general player has little armor already (largely negated by Penetration) so not much damage is gained by ignoring it. The base damage also seems to be 20% more than Uppercut, so combined with a 144 cost (after class passive cost reduction), it does not come out frequent enough to make that damage worthwhile.

This ultimate really seems to want to be a defensive ultimate -- which I approve of! The ultimates seem to be aimed at making each weapon type more versatile and I think they largely succeed ("largely" explained below). I think the up time on the defensive buff is too short to make good use of it as well. Extending it to 10 secoonds, at the trade-off of increased cost or reduced damage, would make it serve better as a defensive ultimate. Alternatively lowering the cost will have the same effect as increasing the duration -- increased up time. This applies to the Berzerker Rage morph, and I realize Onslaught is focused more as an offensive ultimate. If the trade-off for increased up time is lower base damage, then that lost base damage can be returned in the Onslaught morph or just be an exclusive balance of Berzerker Rage.

Dual Wield -
    Lacerate is an ultimate that may actually be a tad too strong or just right, depending on Dev preference. With moderate damage output (2.1k wep), this ultimate combined with Maelstrom weapons and other DoTs has secured me kills in duels. The ultimate also helps Dual Wield perform better against hordes, filling a similar role to Brawler from Two-Handed.

The difference in morphs, double duration versus 5% bonus damage for each hit, seems like an easy choice initially. However the 5% bonus damage per hit applies not only to the ultimate but all damage inflicted while the ultimate is active. It will have a higher pick rate amongst DPS for this. However after combat testing, I personally will prefer the increased duration to maintain pressure on opponents.

One-Hand and Shield -
    Shield Wall is the one ultimate that does not add versatility to the line. And that is not a bad thing. Stamina recovers while Shield Wall is active, so it will help immensely in Trials and other PvE content where turtling is a must for most tanks. To that end I also believe Shield Wall will help more tanks get into Trials as this relieves some of the resource drain from turtling.

On paper Spell Wall seems the better morph -- "reflect all spell projectiles for 5 seconds? Sign me up," but Shield Discipline may in fact be better. Especially for offensive users of sword and shield. Negating the cost of One-Hand and Shield skills while auto-blocking effectively eliminates all stress on Stamina (save for Bash, Dodge Roll and Break Free).

I think the morphs are well thought out for each ultimate, neither being clearly stronger than the other (save at first glance). The ultimates also strive to handle the weakness of each weapon line, which is appreciated. However, some ultimates do too many things to be effective at what we want them to be at (i.e. Berzerker Strike).

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

I couldn't disagree more about Two-Hander, the thing that's OP and broken about it is the fact that it lets a Glass Cannon steal a Tanky player's resistance, and 8 seconds is a huge uptime considering that in 8 seconds without having to worry about defense as much they'll likely kill most players, and besides which the Ultimate costs not that much at all and can likely be spammed a lot, leading to significant uptime of that defensive buff. Admittedly it's not broken at all against players with low resistance, that's not the problem, most people have low resistance because they don't bother to have any since it's generally better just to go full glass cannon, so against most people this would be fine. It's against Tanky characters that it's a problem and that it's broken, and it really is.

The fact is that it takes far too much effort for a Tanky character to get Tanky for it to be remotely fair or right for a glass cannon to steal that resistance for themselves, glass cannons are constantly being catered to with this game's mechanics and now Tanks will outright provide a massive buff to their enemy by being a Tank. I cannot stress enough how profoundly broken that is, we work way too hard to be Tanky for it to make any kind of sense that our Tankiness should be used to buff our opponents to be as Tanky as us while still doing insane damage, and all with one cheap Ultimate that would already be one of the best in the game without that ability to steal resistance. They change their Build by equipping one Ultimate, and suddenly the thing that takes us 7 pieces of Armor and a conscious choice to use worse passives for more Tankiness becomes an asset to our enemy and next to useless for us.

They need to take away the buff to the user with the opponent's resistance, let it keep everything else exactly as it is and this will be an awesome new Ultimate that I'll be using on every stam character, but if this change goes live then Heavy Armor use in PvP will be dead when anyone using it is just buffing their enemies and losing out on damage in the process. When we reduce the damage of our enemies it makes sense to sacrifice that damage output, it's a trade-off and that's what makes games like this balanced (as much as they ever are), the need to sacrifice something if you want something else. But when we buff our enemies, have our resistance ignored by a hard-hitting Ultimate, and lose out on significant damage output... What the hell is even the point of using Heavy Armor at all anymore in PvP, ever? We lose out every way you look at it, that's not a trade-off to use Heavy Armor anymore, it's shooting ourselves in the foot.

And what's worse is that Tanks are already at the cap for resistance anyway, so stealing our enemies' resistance won't do us nearly as much good even against players with penetration, certainly not compared to the benefit glass cannons get. Even against another glass cannon they still double their resistance so it's always useful, and against Tanks it's outright broken. Way to make every player with high resistance a detriment to their team instead of an asset, as if Tanks and Tanky characters didn't have it hard enough already. And it's not okay for Heavy Armor to be invalidated in PvP like this just because most people don't use it, that's a reason to make it more useful not less.

So no, this buffing yourself with the resistance of your enemy has to go, it's broken and it's wrong and it destroys any opportunity for Heavy Armor to be useful when you're losing out on damage and resources just to get something other players will steal and make their own. If they remove that this will be an excellent Ultimate with nothing broken about it, and no extension needed on the time that the buffs last either, that built-in Immovable looks awesome and if it lasted any longer then this Ultimate would be broken just for that. Either way I'll be using this Ultimate, but if it goes live as is then all my PvP characters are going full Medium and are going to abuse the hell out of this massively OP and utterly broken mechanic.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on September 4, 2016 12:12PM
    Daggerfall Covenant - Scourge (Xbox NA) - GT: Lucius Aelius - Lord - 648CP
    Lucius Aelius Aurelius - 50 Imperial Dragonknight - Centurion - Stam Tank
    Lucius Aelius Valerius - 50 Imperial Templar - Lieutenant - Mag Heal/DPS
    Lucius Aelius Regulus - 50 Imperial Nightblade - First Sergeant - Stam DPS
    Lucius Aelius Augustus - 50 Imperial Sorcerer - Corporal - Mag DPS
    Wags-His-Tail - 20 Argonian Sorcerer - Recruit - TBD
    Holds-The-Line - 40 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Carries-Extra-Gear - 4 Argonian Dragonknight - Recruit - TBD
    Guildmaster - Wardens of the Covenant
    Group Leader - xpThe Guildxp
    Trader - Secret Sauce
    Trader - Elite Dungeoneers
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried a few (3) weapon ultimates in combat and these are my thoughts on each:

Two-Handed -
    Seems powerful or even overpowered on paper but comes out lackluster in practice. The general player has little armor already (largely negated by Penetration) so not much damage is gained by ignoring it. The base damage also seems to be 20% more than Uppercut, so combined with a 144 cost (after class passive cost reduction), it does not come out frequent enough to make that damage worthwhile.

This ultimate really seems to want to be a defensive ultimate -- which I approve of! The ultimates seem to be aimed at making each weapon type more versatile and I think they largely succeed ("largely" explained below). I think the up time on the defensive buff is too short to make good use of it as well. Extending it to 10 secoonds, at the trade-off of increased cost or reduced damage, would make it serve better as a defensive ultimate. Alternatively lowering the cost will have the same effect as increasing the duration -- increased up time. This applies to the Berzerker Rage morph, and I realize Onslaught is focused more as an offensive ultimate. If the trade-off for increased up time is lower base damage, then that lost base damage can be returned in the Onslaught morph or just be an exclusive balance of Berzerker Rage.

Dual Wield -
    Lacerate is an ultimate that may actually be a tad too strong or just right, depending on Dev preference. With moderate damage output (2.1k wep), this ultimate combined with Maelstrom weapons and other DoTs has secured me kills in duels. The ultimate also helps Dual Wield perform better against hordes, filling a similar role to Brawler from Two-Handed.

The difference in morphs, double duration versus 5% bonus damage for each hit, seems like an easy choice initially. However the 5% bonus damage per hit applies not only to the ultimate but all damage inflicted while the ultimate is active. It will have a higher pick rate amongst DPS for this. However after combat testing, I personally will prefer the increased duration to maintain pressure on opponents.

One-Hand and Shield -
    Shield Wall is the one ultimate that does not add versatility to the line. And that is not a bad thing. Stamina recovers while Shield Wall is active, so it will help immensely in Trials and other PvE content where turtling is a must for most tanks. To that end I also believe Shield Wall will help more tanks get into Trials as this relieves some of the resource drain from turtling.

On paper Spell Wall seems the better morph -- "reflect all spell projectiles for 5 seconds? Sign me up," but Shield Discipline may in fact be better. Especially for offensive users of sword and shield. Negating the cost of One-Hand and Shield skills while auto-blocking effectively eliminates all stress on Stamina (save for Bash, Dodge Roll and Break Free).

I think the morphs are well thought out for each ultimate, neither being clearly stronger than the other (save at first glance). The ultimates also strive to handle the weakness of each weapon line, which is appreciated. However, some ultimates do too many things to be effective at what we want them to be at (i.e. Berzerker Strike).

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

I couldn't disagree more about Two-Hander, the thing that's OP and broken about it is the fact that it lets a Glass Cannon steal a Tanky player's resistance, and 8 seconds is a huge uptime considering that in 8 seconds without having to worry about defense as much they'll likely kill most players, and besides which the Ultimate costs not that much at all and can likely be spammed a lot, leading to significant uptime of that defensive buff. Admittedly it's not broken at all against players with low resistance, that's not the problem, most people have low resistance because they don't bother to have any since it's generally better just to go full glass cannon, so against most people this would be fine. It's against Tamky characters that it's a problem and that it's broken, and it really is.

The fact is that it takes far too much effort for a Tanky character to get Tanky for it to be remotely fair or right for a glass cannon to steal that resistance for themselves, glass cannons are constantly being catered to with this game's mechanics and now Tanks will outright provide a massive buff to their enemy by being a Tank. I cannot stress enough how profoundly broken that is, we work we too hard to be be Tanky for it to make any kind of sense that our Tankiness should be used to buff our opponents to be as Tanky as us while still doing insane damage, and all with one cheap Ultimate that would already be one of the best in the game without that ability to steal resistance. They change their Build by equipping one Ultimate, and suddenly the thing that takes us 7 pieces of Armor and a conscious choice to use worse passives for more Tankiness becomes an asset to our enemy and next to useless for us.

They need to take away the buff to the user with the opponent's resistance, let it keep everything else exactly as it is and this will be an awesome new Ultimate that I'll be using on every stam character, but if this change goes live then Heavy Armor use in PvP will be dead when anyone using it is just buffing their enemies and losing out on damage in the process. When we reduce the damage of our enemies it makes sense to sacrifice that damage output, it's a trade-off and that's what makes games like this balanced (as much as they ever are), the need to sacrifice something if you want something else. But when we buff our enemies, have our resistance ignored by a hard-hitting Ultimate, and lose out on significant damage output... What the hell is even the point of using Heavy Armor at all anymore in PvP, ever? We lose out every way you look at it, that's not a trade-off to use Heavy Armor anymore, it's shooting ourselves in the foot.

And what's worse is that Tanks are already at the cap for resistance anyway, so stealing our enemies' resistance won't do us nearly as much good even against players with penetration, certainly not compared to the benefit glass cannons get, even against another glass cannon they still double their resistance so it's always useful, and against Tanks it's outright broken. Way to make every player with high resistance a detriment to their team instead of an asset, as if Tanks and Tanky characters didn't have it hard enough already. And it's not okay for Heavy Armor to be invalidated in PvP like this just because most people don't use it, that's a reason to make it more useful not less.

So no, this buffing yourself with the resistance of your enemy has to go, it's broken and it's wrong and it destroys any opportunity for Heavy Armor to be useful when you're losing out on damage and resources just to get something other players will steal and make their own. If they remove that this will be an excellent Ultimate with nothing broken about it, and no extension needed on the time that the buffs last either, that built-in Immovable looks awesome and if it lasted any longer then this Ultimate would be broken just for that. Either way I'll be using this Ultimate, but if it goes live as is then all my PvP characters are going full Medium and are going to abuse the hell out of this massively OP and utterly Broken mechanic.

Buffing yourself with the resistance of your enemy isn't really the problem, it's sort of like the DK ulti that allows you to ignore the enemy's resistance, it's only for 8 seconds so it's fair imo.

The problem is the ultimate return, this allows them to keep the buff up, and spam ults which is ridiculous, it's an ultimate not a 6th ability.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffing yourself with the resistance of your enemy isn't really the problem, it's sort of like the DK ulti that allows you to ignore the enemy's resistance, it's only for 8 seconds so it's fair imo.

8 seconds is about 4 times as long as these cancer bow/2H builds need to get a kill. That's what p...es me most about this: the only way to even have a fighting chance against this BS stam meta was wearing heavy armor so you get a couple of seconds to react before you croak. Now even that is gone. Fear -> Onslaught -> next.

Might as well all reroll bow/2h and play a call-of-duty-like game of who oneshots the other first. Which will be won by the macro users of course.

Bah.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

8 seconds is about 4 times as long as these cancer bow/2H builds need to get a kill. That's what p...es me most about this: the only way to even have a fighting chance against this BS stam meta was wearing heavy armor so you get a couple of seconds to react before you croak. Now even that is gone. Fear -> Onslaught -> next.

Might as well all reroll bow/2h and play a call-of-duty-like game of who oneshots the other first. Which will be won by the macro users of course.

Bah.

Everyone keeps talking about the 'Stam meta' like you can't play anything else, stop believing all the hype. I'm still playing my MagSorc and deal with stamina opponents easily.
  • Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭

Two-Handed -

Dual Wield -

One-Hand and Shield -

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

I couldn't disagree more about Two-Hander, the thing that's OP and broken about it is the fact that it lets a Glass Cannon steal a Tanky player's resistance, and 8 seconds is a huge uptime considering that in 8 seconds without having to worry about defense as much they'll likely kill most players, and besides which the Ultimate costs not that much at all and can likely be spammed a lot, leading to significant uptime of that defensive buff. Admittedly it's not broken at all against players with low resistance, that's not the problem, most people have low resistance because they don't bother to have any since it's generally better just to go full glass cannon, so against most people this would be fine. It's against Tamky characters that it's a problem and that it's broken, and it really is.

The fact is that it takes far too much effort for a Tanky character to get Tanky for it to be remotely fair or right for a glass cannon to steal that resistance for themselves, glass cannons are constantly being catered to with this game's mechanics and now Tanks will outright provide a massive buff to their enemy by being a Tank. I cannot stress enough how profoundly broken that is, we work we too hard to be be Tanky for it to make any kind of sense that our Tankiness should be used to buff our opponents to be as Tanky as us while still doing insane damage, and all with one cheap Ultimate that would already be one of the best in the game without that ability to steal resistance. They change their Build by equipping one Ultimate, and suddenly the thing that takes us 7 pieces of Armor and a conscious choice to use worse passives for more Tankiness becomes an asset to our enemy and next to useless for us.

And what's worse is that Tanks are already at the cap for resistance anyway, so stealing our enemies' resistance won't do us nearly as much good even against players with penetration, certainly not compared to the benefit glass cannons get, even against another glass cannon they still double their resistance so it's always useful, and against Tanks it's outright broken. Way to make every player with high resistance a detriment to their team instead of an asset, as if Tanks and Tanky characters didn't have it hard enough already. And it's not okay for Heavy Armor to be invalidated in PvP like this just because most people don't use it, that's a reason to make it more useful not less.

So no, this buffing yourself with the resistance of your enemy has to go, it's broken and it's wrong and it destroys any opportunity for Heavy Armor to be useful when you're losing out on damage and resources just to get something other players will steal and make their own. If they remove that this will be an excellent Ultimate with nothing broken about it, and no extension needed on the time that the buffs last either, that built-in Immovable looks awesome and if it lasted any longer then this Ultimate would be broken just for that. Either way I'll be using this Ultimate, but if it goes live as is then all my PvP characters are going full Medium and are going to abuse the hell out of this massively OP and utterly Broken mechanic.

The problem is the ultimate return, this allows them to keep the buff up, and spam ults which is ridiculous, it's an ultimate not a 6th ability.

No that's exactly the problem, and your example makes no sense since Corrosive Armor is way more expensive and doesn't grant Immovable, you can just block/heal while someone uses it and wait to attack when they're done, not a problem to deal with enough to be broken. But having it buff you with your enemy's resistance invalidates Heavy Armor completely, there's no reason not to switch to Medium Armor now, and if you can't see how broken or wrong that is then you clearly haven't thought it through at all (or just don't see it as a problem since you have glass cannons like everyone else and don't care since it doesn't effect you), either way you're wrong.

And that Ultimate return isn't really that good at all, it's only when you deal a killing blow with the Ultimate and it's not really that high damage anyway, and it's cost is so low that I'd argue (and do argue) the Immovable option is better, you'll get the Ultimate to cast it again soon enough anyway and this Ultimate is more useful as a buff to yourself and as an extra attack to help get your enemy down to execute range, the buff letting you focus on Damage since you have CC immunity and much higher resistance. So no, the Immovable option is the better Morph for anyone who isn't a Nightblade trying to gank people, and even then it doesn't do enough damage more than other things for it to be a problem since a Nightblade has plenty of other options to do massive damage with a quick return on their Ultimate (Incapacitating Strike for one) so nothing will really change there.

Honestly if you got rid of that Ultimate Return there would be no reason for everyone not to use the other morph, and this skill would risk being lackluster against anyone besides Tanky players. There's Dawnbreaker to compete with which does massive damage, costs the same and is AoE instead of Single Target like the Two-Hander Ultimate. You need something to make it worth using and not all builds can make use of the same morph the same way so you need a variety of good options, and I see you getting the Ultimate refunded when the Ultimate isn't that expensive anyway as being less of a problem compared to the resistance issue. With the resistance buff it's definitely broken, but get rid of that and the Ultimate isn't good enough for it to be a problem getting it more often. And besides which if you have the Ultimate and wait to use it as a finisher then you're missing the opportunity to use it first and then build up Ultimate while fighting, which will likely end with you having your Ultimate back by the time the fight is over (if not sooner) since it's so cheap.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on September 4, 2016 12:35PM
    Trader - Secret Sauce
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bah.

Everyone keeps talking about the 'Stam meta' like you can't play anything else, stop believing all the hype. I'm still playing my MagSorc and deal with stamina opponents easily.
    Don't worry - they're working hard to fix that! ;)
    Edited by smacx250 on September 4, 2016 12:30PM
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like for the Destro Ultimate the mirror-image of the 2H Ultimate for the secondary effects:

"Create a Cataclysmic Storm.... 10 seconds.... more damage.... less cost.... etc...."
    +
    ".... This ability ignores the targets Dodge and grants you the passive Dodge and Dodge Roll cost savings equal to the target. You are immune to all disabling, snare and immobilisations for the duration"

Edited by hrothbern on September 4, 2016 12:39PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Two-Handed -

Dual Wield -

One-Hand and Shield -

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

No that's exactly the problem, and your example makes no sense since Corrosive Armor is way more expensive and doesn't grant Immovable, you can just block/heal while someone uses it and wait to attack when they're done, not a problem to deal with enough to be broken. But having it buff you with your enemy's resistance invalidates Heavy Armor completely, there's no reason not to switch to Medium Armor now, and if you can't see how broken or wrong that is then you clearly haven't thought it through at all (or just don't see it as a problem since you have glass cannons like everyone else and don't care since it doesn't effect you), either way you're wrong.

And that Ultimate return isn't really that good at all, it's only when you deal a killing blow with the Ultimate and it's not really that high damage anyway, and it's cost is so low that I'd argue (and do argue) the Immovable option is better, you'll get the Ultimate to cast it again soon enough anyway and this Ultimate is more useful as a buff to yourself and as an extra attack to help get your enemy down to execute range, the buff letting you focus on Damage since you have CC immunity and much higher resistance. So no, the Immovable option is the better Morph for anyone who isn't a Nightblade trying to gank people, and even then it doesn't do enough damage more than other things for it to be a problem since a Nightblade has plenty of other options to do massive damage with a quick return on their Ultimate (Incapacitating Strike for one) so nothing will really change there.

Honestly if you got rid of that Ultimate Return there would be no reason for everyone not to use the other morph, and this skill would risk being lackluster against anyone besides Tanky players. There's Dawnbreaker to compete with which does massive damage, costs the same and is AoE instead of Single Target like the Two-Hander Ultimate. You need something to make it worth using and not all builds can make use of the same morph the same way so you need a variety of good options, and I see you getting the Ultimate refunded when the Ultimate isn't that expensive anyway as being less of a problem compared to the resistance issue. With the resistance buff it's definitely broken, but get rid of that and the Ultimate isn't good enough for it to be a problem getting it more often. And besides which if you have the Ultimate and wait to use it as a finisher then you're missing the opportunity to use it first and then build up Ultimate while fighting, which will likely end with you having your Ultimate back by the time the fight is over (if not sooner) since it's so cheap.

The ult return is a problem, what if you kill someone with the ult, so you regain the ultimate cost and still have the resistance buff active then switch bar and take flight/ Dawnbreaker someone else. I think they should just rework the skill as a whole tbh. Everything else is ok.
    Edited by psychotic13 on September 4, 2016 1:12PM
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humatiel wrote: »
    Dracane wrote: »
    juhasman wrote: »
    Ok so someone want to tell me this is ballanced

hWtryyp.png

ii1IKsd.png

Even with 1 tick on crit and applying burning status effect still destro staff ultimate deals less dmg and cost more. What the hell Zenimax? The larger area is anough to equals the deal? No ! I'm telling this right now noone will use this ultimate over meteor which also gives 2% more magicka when slotted. Comparing to stamina weapon ultimates this one is more then underhelming. There is only 1 magicka offensive weapon and 4 stamina offensive weapons so this 1 magicka weapon should have ultimate that outshines others and instead of this we get trash that noone will ever use. Well maybe if someone like fireworks. I would rather preffer to use dual wield ultimate on magicka build running with dual wield/destro then destro staff ultimate.

Thanks for this, nice write up.
    And you even used elemental rage, while I used eye of the storm :D
    Let's see. I am confident, that they will offer us some love during the next few weeks.

I mean, 90% of the comments in this thread are (rightfully) complaining about the destruction staff ultimate. They can't ignore this. But I'm afraid, they will give it a typical Zenimax buff. Like 10% reduced cost :D which obviously wouldn't change anything at all.

As long as ZoS follows three steps of logic they will be fine:

1. Will it offer a group utility that is better then negate/banner/veil/nova (if yes stop if no move down)
    2. Will it offer more dps and burst than a meteor (if yes stop if no move down)
    3. Rework it entirely to a singletarget ranged dmg one time use ultimate with different effects (if not an option move down)
    4. Out of options, so reduce the cost to 100 ult (85 with sorc passive) and be done with it.

Fixed it :P
    Edited by Derra on September 4, 2016 1:26PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Lucius_Aelius
    Lucius_Aelius
    ✭✭✭✭

Two-Handed -

Dual Wield -

One-Hand and Shield -

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

The ult return is a problem, what if you kill someone with the ult, so you regain the ultimate cost and still have the resistance buff active then switch bar and take flight/ Dawnbreaker someone else. I think they should just rework the skill as a whole tbh. Everything else is ok.

Hello, my whole argument here is that there shouldn't be a resistance buff to the user at all and that it's the whole problem, saying yourself that it's a problem as your reason for why the Ultimate is broken is an argument in absolute agreement with mine and in no way constitutes an argument against anything that I've said.

And as for having another Ultimate ready, again the skill would not be that good without the resistance buff since the other morph has the amazing Immovable feature, so using a lackluster Ultimate as a high-power execute which gives you a full Ultimate of the same cost if you get a kill just doesn't strike me as being OP. You're sacrificing an Ultimate slot for basically an Execute that doesn't need an enemy to be at low health for it to do its damage, and you only get it back if you kill the enemy with it, that's a big if and the skill isn't good enough for it to be OP. The Immovable is much better and you can't have it and get the Ultimate back, so there is no issue, I'm done repeating myself though so make a new argument if you want me to respond again.
    Edited by Lucius_Aelius on September 4, 2016 1:29PM
    Trader - Secret Sauce
  • jhharvest
    jhharvest
    ✭✭✭

Bah.

Do you play on console?
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @WatchYourSixx
    I started with elemental storm. I tried using meteor multiple times, to reach the same crit value of elemental storm. But meteor always had like twice the crit chance. I don't know why. But even IF elemental storm had the same crit chance, it would still be less damage.

Screenshot_20160903_230318.png

Screenshot_20160903_230517.png

Screenshot_20160903_230652.png

@Dracane I can't really understand why the damage numbers on your tests are so low... the screenshot below was my own attempt (on a mammoth in wrothgar) and it certainly looks a lot better. All I did was use power surge (for the spelldamage buff) and the elemental rage ultimate:

I used a template character.

SSho0Sh.png

As a comparison, my meteor (shooting star, exact same circumstances):
    Meteor still stronger, but the crit chance looks quite similar here

ceewAxI.png
    Edited by Darlon on September 4, 2016 2:42PM
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »
    @WatchYourSixx
    I started with elemental storm. I tried using meteor multiple times, to reach the same crit value of elemental storm. But meteor always had like twice the crit chance. I don't know why. But even IF elemental storm had the same crit chance, it would still be less damage.

@Dracane I can't really understand why the damage numbers on your tests are so low... the screenshot below was my own attempt (on a mammoth in wrothgar) and it certainly looks a lot better. All I did was use power surge (for the spelldamage buff) and the elemental rage ultimate:

SSho0Sh.png

ceewAxI.png

That was sarcasm, right ? :) The damage gap between your 2 is even bigger. The damage gap one mine is roughly 20k, yours is 40k. So your results should even more, how bad elemental storm is.

And I choosed an enemy that is not suspicious to fire. Mammoths are though.
    Edited by Dracane on September 4, 2016 4:41PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Lacerate, but I feel like it should be reduced from 8s to 4s duration, making it more effective in PvP as it essentially just becomes a weak DoT that you can easily heal through, compared to Rapid Fire which melts enemies, especially if they don't see it coming.
    Edited by Saturn on September 11, 2016 8:26AM
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It seem that mammoth in the open land is no more suspicious to fire, according to this thread : https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/289430/new-mob-mitigation-values-for-one-tamriel-slowly-updating

But you're right : 40k more damage for meteor (so ele storm does only 70% of meteor's damage), along with no control, no max magicka/magicka regen, no empower, no burst, no following… It's too much, far too much.
  • Darlon
    Darlon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darlon wrote: »
    @WatchYourSixx

SSho0Sh.png

ceewAxI.png

That was sarcasm, right ? :) The damage gap between your 2 is even bigger. The damage gap one mine is roughly 20k, yours is 40k. So your results should even more, how bad elemental storm is.

Not talking about absolute numbers, but the crit ratings.... And never disagreed with the fact that the Desto ulti is crap, just that I was surprised by your numbers (crit)
    Didn't know about the fire vulnerability of mammoths..
    Edited by Darlon on September 4, 2016 5:48PM
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual in PVE we'll likely see everything as working as intended. I think it's just not a PVP centric Ultimate except in specific chokepoint cases. Using 2 Five piece set template gear on the PTS I went into Old Orsinium and attacked the 3 Bosses on the throne and used the Shock Ultimate with the Maelstrom Lightning Sharpened Staff.

Screenshot_20160904_141828.png
    Screenshot_20160904_141835.png
    Screenshot_20160904_141852.png
    Screenshot_20160904_140757.png
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my suggestions on what to do with Destro and Resto staff ultimates

Destro:
    • Reduce Ultimate cost to 175
    • Increase base damage by 50% but reduce Duration from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, so as to be more "bursty"
    • Give Minor Breech as a base effect, thus increasing the damage even more and offering some utility
    • Change Eye of the Storm to be able to place it on an enemy instead of yourself
    • Fire Staff should add a DoT, Frost should add a minor maim and snare debuff, Lightning should have a bigger radius by default.
    • Elemental Rage should change the entire skill into an instant cast skill that exchanges the DoT aspect entirely for upfront damage instead.

Resto:
    • Ultimate should hit 4 people minimum, no excuse.
    • Major Protection should be a base effect even if the Ultimate cost needed to go up to the 150-175 range to do so.
    • Live Giver should be changed to a Resource restoring ultimate, giving back 15% of each resource to all affected
    • Light's Champion should grant immunity like the 2h ultimate, on top of the Major Force.
    Argonian forever
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my suggestions on what to do with Destro and Resto staff ultimates

Destro:
    • Reduce Ultimate cost to 175
    • Increase base damage by 50% but reduce Duration from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, so as to be more "bursty"
    • Give Minor Breech as a base effect, thus increasing the damage even more and offering some utility
    • Change Eye of the Storm to be able to place it on an enemy instead of yourself
    • Fire Staff should add a DoT, Frost should add a minor maim and snare debuff, Lightning should have a bigger radius by default.
    • Elemental Rage should change the entire skill into an instant cast skill that exchanges the DoT aspect entirely for upfront damage instead.

Resto:
    • Ultimate should hit 4 people minimum, no excuse.
    • Major Protection should be a base effect even if the Ultimate cost needed to go up to the 150-175 range to do so.
    • Live Giver should be changed to a Resource restoring ultimate, giving back 15% of each resource to all affected
    • Light's Champion should grant immunity like the 2h ultimate, on top of the Major Force.

But if it was placed on an enemy, this could cause some bad side effects. Certain bosses for example and in pvp, it could be purgeable, cloakable and what not.

I think it's better, when it is centered around yourself, so that you have more control over it.
    That's just my opinion tho
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Centered on the enemy, but not as a mono dot. No effect if you clean it, and trying to cloak it would still tick on you.
  • Bakven
    Bakven
    ✭✭✭
    Zos, are you seriously trying to kill off magkica builds? These ultimates are ridiculous! the stam builds get huge buffs and crazy ultimates while the magicka builds get total crap! Stam is already the meta in pvp and now you're making them even more OP. Fix this BS! you're literally screwing us magicka builds
    EP NA Haderus
    Iscangar- Mageblade (retired pvp; pve only now)
    Emlyn Medresi - Magicka DK

Soon to come
    Vash'rassa- Stamblade
    -Tiffany - Stam DK
    Trokaar - Mageblade (vamp/Iscangar 2.0)
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    #BuffDestructionStaffUltimate
    #NerfTwoHandedUltimate - Don't give the resistances to the attacker and do not refund the entire cost, simply a portion of it
    #NerfBowUltimate - The Balista morph needs to do less damage, as of now its pretty much a Soul Assault that you don't have to channel
    #BuffRestorationStaffUltimate - Something that's actually useful in group play...

#BuffTheEntireDestructionStaffSkillLine - It needs some serious improvements.
    #BuffMagicka
    #BuffMagickaDragonknights
    #BuffMagickaSorcerers

Please...
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #BuffDestructionStaffUltimate
    #NerfTwoHandedUltimate - Don't give the resistances to the attacker and do not refund the entire cost, simply a portion of it
    #NerfBowUltimate - The Balista morph needs to do less damage, as of now its pretty much a Soul Assault that you don't have to channel
    #BuffRestorationStaffUltimate - Something that's actually useful in group play...

#BuffTheEntireDestructionStaffSkillLine - It needs some serious improvements.
    #BuffMagicka
    #BuffMagickaDragonknights
    #BuffMagickaSorcerers

Please...

Buffs for everyone ! :D

oprah-free-car.gif
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Rykmaar
    Rykmaar
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my feedback on the destro and resto ult.

Resto: This ult NEEDs to affect 4 people. It has to support the group, period. It is a very cool idea for an ult, so kudos to you guys, but the restriction is completely unwarranted.

Destro: This one needs work. A lot of it. The staff ultimate cannot be (again, CANNOT BE) a DoT. It has to be direct damage to an enemy. Moreover, you made it double the cost of the other ults. That is just...idk, offensive is probably too strong a word, but it is wholly unnecessary. What choice to magicka users have between it and meteor? None, because meteor does DIRECT DAMAGE and has a secondary effect (and CCs).

One idea that has been floated around is splitting the staff types into different weapons. I fully support this idea. Make each of the elements unique, have a unique playstyle, and feel different to the player. This will not only add more variety, but it will add more depth to this game and strategy.

Now I know that this @ZOS_GinaBruno is something that would require additional development time and would be probably impossible during the length of time this PTS cycle is in place. So here's another idea to just affect the current ultimate that I think would make magicka users happy and fits with the current multi-element theme:

Elemental Blast:
    150 or 175 Ultimate
    range: 20 meters
    Single target
    Concentrate your mastery of destruction magic into a spiraling blast of fire, shock, and frost damage for X damage.

Morph A: Elemental Storm: Ability is now ground targeted. Deals X fire, x shock, and x frost damage each second for y seconds.
    Morph B: Master of Destruction: Staff type now determines the damage of the ability and grants bonus effects;

Inferno staves cause a fireball to be launched at the target dealing 100% damage with an additional X damage over time, always applies burning.

Shock staves cause chain lightning, dealing 100% damage to primary target and 50% damage to 2 other targets, always applying concussion.

Frost staves cause a cone of frost damage that deals 75% damage to all enemies in the cone and applies chilled.

Edited by Rykmaar on September 4, 2016 10:24PM
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Humatiel

I was into the bourbon last night. I thought I made that edit in time, you caught me. ;)

That being said.

The stam weapon ulti tool tips read outrageous stats never mind against the magika weap ulti.

40k+ on bow channeled with no run speed penalty???? Really???

Destro got a stationary ground based aoe that takes 2 seconds to get going and still does *** damage...

Seriously the dev and or team that did this needs to be reassigned. Either they dumb AF or heavily biased.
  • ZoM_Head
    ZoM_Head
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoM_Head wrote: »
    LORD ALMIGHTY BOW CALM DOWN

YOU CRAZY BOI

There is nothing crazy about that damage, it is roughly the same as soul assault with double the cost and no slow effect to you or the target. It's over 4 seconds, so you are looking at 10k a second on a 175 cost channel. The 2H will give you almost 20k instant that ignores mitigation so more like 30k, and one morph refunds cost if you kill the target.

With so many players running pretty low physical resistance due to light or medium armour, yeah its "not a problem" dealing 42K+ physical damage at all.

Soul assult deals magic damage, and most players, by default, have decent spell resistance.

Mind you you still have the flimsy magicka DK class that still can not self heal, deal average damage or even get in or out of situations like every other class out there.

? Seriously?

It won't be 42k in Cryodiil it will be 21k, it won't even be that much with mitigation, it will likely be more like 18k, at which point it is dealing 4.25k per second. Which is pathetic compared to other ultimates and pathetic for damage in general, especially as an interruptable cloakable channel.

Soul Assault also looks amazing when you only look at the maximum damage, but try it in Cyrodiil, rarely will it dent a target, it is far to easy to block, interrupt, cloak, and then you have wasted your ult, except with Soul Assault you have wasted only 100 ult not 175.

Since Cost came up lets look at ult cost compared to output, Soul Assault costs almost half the amount of the new bow ultimate but does roughly the same damage, but it also slows the target so they cant LOS you.

Now we won't know until its fully tested but it appears with even half a rationale interrogation that the bow ultimate isn't to be desired.

True, i havent considered the cyrodiil battle spirit being applied, you are correct.

Its not really "pathetic" when you have other expensive ultis like standard of might which cost 250 and deal even less damage for example (after all mitigations and cyrodiil battle spirit).

But whatever the case maybe, you are also correct that further testing is needed, and this is early PTS, who knows what will happen on live.
    mDKs still need a lot of love!