The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What do you think of Crown Store Random boxes/Lottery box?

• Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts on the upcoming Crown Crates, everyone. Just want to clarify a few points -

First, Crown Crates will be available later this year, and will only include cosmetic or convenience items. You'll find things like potions and other consumables, pets, costumes, and - yes - sometimes even mounts. This will give you a chance to try and obtain previous limited time offers, or even some very unique items as Matt mentioned. It will not include things like armor or weapons.

In the event you get an item that you already own, you can exchange it for a currency called Crown Gems which will allow you to buy a different item of your choice.

Does this mean there will be a separate store for merchandise ONLY available in the Crown Crates with Crown Gems as the currency instead of regular ole Crown's? For example, if I get enough duplicates where I have around 3k Crown Gems, do I open up a separate store with nothing but the items in the Crown Crates, find the Ultra Rare Mount I've been trying to get but haven't gotten, and buy it right there with all the Crown Gems I've assembled from selling back my duplicates?
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I dislike the random crown store boxes, to much of a gamble
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What if I get something I really DON'T like but I don't have it in my collection? Would I have the possibility to exchange it for gems, or it added to your collection automatically?
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, don't ever add these into the game.
    Buffler wrote: »
    Cazzy wrote: »
    Buffler wrote: »
    Thanks for your thoughts on the upcoming Crown Crates, everyone. Just want to clarify a few points -

First, Crown Crates will be available later this year, and will only include cosmetic or convenience items. You'll find things like potions and other consumables, pets, costumes, and - yes - sometimes even mounts. This will give you a chance to try and obtain previous limited time offers, or even some very unique items as Matt mentioned. It will not include things like armor or weapons.

In the event you get an item that you already own, you can exchange it for a currency called Crown Gems which will allow you to buy a different item of your choice.

So I guess this is goodbye :/

Bit extreme, y would you leave over this?

@Buffler read my post prior to this. Scroll up a bit.

I have read it and still dont see why you would leave over these crates, if you enjoy the game as much as you say

Then I'm afraid you just won't understand :(
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, this seems to have gone down well :)

lead-balloon.jpg
    Edited by Garldeen on August 20, 2016 3:36PM
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds completely disgusting, and this is coming from someone with 30k crowns on their account right now. I bought all that to buy actual *** items, not lottery tickets. Even WITH "Crown Gems", what exactly is the exchange rate supposed to be? Do you need to buy spend 10k Crowns to buy enough boxes to exchange gems for an item that costs 1k Crowns? Wait, no, it's worse than that because it's RNG, so you can't even guarantee you'll get something to exchange for Crown Gems. This is a garbage system and a garbage idea.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Tib
    Tib
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I like the random boxes idea so Long as they only have cosmetics
    Stiltz wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that people are getting upset over this. I would understand if it was pay to win items but cosmetics and mounts? Who gives a flying ****? If you don't want to buy one then don't. It's as simple as that.

The fact is that there will be plenty of people that will be all over this, and that will bring in revenue which will help cover expenses for new content and the fixes that the players need.

I will most likely never even consider buying one, but I couldn't possibly care any less what others do with their crowns.

Indeed. There are several other, much more interesting changes coming, but 90% of the topics (and raging) is being focused on how cheap loot crates are essentially gambling and that "you guys won't get away with this in Germany" :D Lol! Would Zenimax not know about the German laws, seeing a big portion of players are German, perhaps they even have German employees. Hilarious, that you are even assuming they would try to break the law :D

Here's a transcription of how Matt Firor presents the Loot Crates in that video -

"I've had this question asked just tonight, and I've had it asked for about a million times - "how do I get limited offer mounts that's no longer available on the store?".
    And so, we have answered that, so... We're gonna add a Loot Crate system that will give you a random chance of getting mounts that have been on store and taken off ... and pets and costumes ... um, so you will buy them at a very low cost Crowns, you're guaranteed a consumable item, um, things that are on the store anyway, and a random chance of getting that Senche Panther that you've always wanted. Or dro-m'Athra Senche, a chance to get these cool items that just are not on the store anymore."

But sure, go ahead and try to make this about evil Zenimax, gambling, preying on the weak addicted people (??????) and pay to win, not about the players that have asked to be able to purchase these mounts.
    ~Tibbie~
    Senior Achievement Seeker, Scholar of UESP and the laziest trader in Tamriel
    Editor and Recent Changes Patroller at UESP
    Member of Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Delpi wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What if I get something I really DON'T like but I don't have it in my collection? Would I have the possibility to exchange it for gems, or it added to your collection automatically?
    It'll automatically be added if you don't already own it.

Auroan wrote: »

Does this mean there will be a separate store for merchandise ONLY available in the Crown Crates with Crown Gems as the currency instead of regular ole Crown's? For example, if I get enough duplicates where I have around 3k Crown Gems, do I open up a separate store with nothing but the items in the Crown Crates, find the Ultra Rare Mount I've been trying to get but haven't gotten, and buy it right there with all the Crown Gems I've assembled from selling back my duplicates?
    There will be a separate section in the Crown Store where you can spend your Crown Gems, which will contain a special selection of items - it won't include every item from the Crown Store. Items will also be rotated occasionally so it won't be the same things all the time.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous that people are getting upset over this. I would understand if it was pay to win items but cosmetics and mounts? Who gives a flying ****? If you don't want to buy one then don't. It's as simple as that.

The fact is that there will be plenty of people that will be all over this, and that will bring in revenue which will help cover expenses for new content and the fixes that the players need.

I will most likely never even consider buying one, but I couldn't possibly care any less what others do with their crowns.

The stuff you get is NOT the concern from me . It's the telling sign of business model change seen in all other games that go F2P and make everything worse ingame . That is the concern from me . If One Tamriel is launched and F2P is surprised announced same time , I won't be surprised .

^ This.

And anyone who thinks that things will stay purely cosmetic after they have introduced the boxes is not looking at the history of this.

ZOS has expanded what types of items are available in the Crown Store over time. I expect that trend to continue. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't an interim stage in a longer term plan, i.e.:

1) Crown Store Intro
    2) Add more "convenience" items such as XP scrolls, horse lessons and skill lines.
    3) Create artificial scarcity through the use of Limited Time offers.
    4) Add a new delivery method (lootboxes) to offer a work-around for the self-imposed scarcity issue, as well as a few exclusive items to get people interested. (thus revitalising the current Crown Store offerings).
    5) After the buzz from (4) has dropped a bit, add more item types, pushing the boundary towards P2W slowly.
    6) Repeat (5) every time the frenzy dies down.

It is an abhorrent model, but sadly one that is likely to result in considerable income for ZOS.
    Edited by Iluvrien on August 20, 2016 3:57PM
  • Andarne
    Andarne
    ✭✭✭
    As an RP'er, I severely dislike the idea of Zen putting cosmetics behind a paywall, since I've played MMO's that offer then for free/part of the vanilla gameplay.

I do not want to have to pay, on top of my subscription to the game which I voluntarily do, for a chance to get something from these RNG boxes. I've suffered enough at Dirty Bomb's RNG system for that.

This idea is bad. I used to play SWTOR too, and being forced to pay just to get your character to look the way you want is stupid. At least in LotRO, before the Turbine Store, it was decent enough...
    Andarne [PC-EU]
    Falvis Beran - Ebonheart Pact Loyalist - Redoran Battlemage
    ALMSIVI, grant Mercy. ALMSIVI, grant Mystery. ALMSIVI, grant Mastery. Blessed are we that serve ALMSIVI.

Twitter | Darny3D | Beta Tester 2014 & 2017
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Now, Gina, show that you are honest at ZOS - and give us the chance table for these items - an honest one - this is the only thing to get an acceptance for this and to show that this is not just a blatant cash grab and preying on gambling addicts. Be honest with us and show us, that there is a reasonable chance to get these items, then we might accept it - but if it is like in Archeage with percentages of 0.1%, 0.01% and lower, then this cannot be accepted and some of us will never spend another dime on this game.

Knowing ZOS history with RNG, I expect the worst. :/

Well, it's their loss - it is about 180,000 crowns, which I will not spend on this game per year, and I would have played for long, but so I will leave when my ESO+ runs out in August 2017 and not spend a single US$ on this game until then - it's their loss.

Not to forget about that bunch of ESO gold edition packs, which I wanted to give as a gift to role play friends around christmas - this will as well not happen now. Nor do I need houses, and I would have bought like 12 of them - if not more - so be it - they do not want my money in a fair deal, they rather go for gamble.

I'm lucky my ESO+ is month by month so I've cancelled. Going to uninstalled tonight, which leaves loads of space for a new game. Might treat myself :smile:
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed. There are several other, much more interesting changes coming, but 90% of the topics (and raging) is being focused on how cheap loot crates are essentially gambling and that "you guys won't get away with this in Germany" :D Lol! Would Zenimax not know about the German laws, seeing a big portion of players are German, perhaps they even have German employees. Hilarious, that you are even assuming they would try to break the law :D

Here's a transcription of how Matt Firor presents the Loot Crates in that video -

"I've had this question asked just tonight, and I've had it asked for about a million times - "how do I get limited offer mounts that's no longer available on the store?".
    And so, we have answered that, so... We're gonna add a Loot Crate system that will give you a random chance of getting mounts that have been on store and taken off ... and pets and costumes ... um, so you will buy them at a very low cost Crowns, you're guaranteed a consumable item, um, things that are on the store anyway, and a random chance of getting that Senche Panther that you've always wanted. Or dro-m'Athra Senche, a chance to get these cool items that just are not on the store anymore."

But sure, go ahead and try to make this about evil Zenimax, gambling, preying on the weak addicted people (??????) and pay to win, not about the players that have asked to be able to purchase these mounts.

Bethesda thought this as well with Fallout 3 once - and zoom, they ended up on the index, could not sell their game in germany - and had to make a special edition with no gore whatsoever and it is just available in cleaned up german language, no foul foreign language was allowed - this is what happens, if one ignores local german laws and want to sell something in Germany -not going to happen, until it is conform to the law.

And the EU servers are in Frankfurt, Germany - suibject to german laws.

And yes, we asked to be able to purchase these items - we did not want to buy a chance to get these items, but purchase the actual item. Not engage in gambling. I do not like gambling at all - I left Archeage over this and I will leave this game when ESO+ will run out over this.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 3:51PM
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno By the way... are we to take this as a sign that the game is once again (as it was before it was rebranded as Tamriel Umlimited) not living up to financial return expectations?

Don't we usually see this in other games (SWTOR comes to mind) when they're struggling with income?

It has that "let's make some money any way we can" desperate vibe to it.
  • Garldeen
    Garldeen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if i can get a working group finder in the lottery box :|
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    This is even worse but thanks for the comments. You're taking a game and making it an iPhone like game or just F2P which is part of the overal negative reaction.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭

Frankly, I don't know any gaming community that is actually majority in favour of gamble boxes. I've seen gamble boxes only lead to frustration, in which loyal, dedicated and invested customers who actually want to buy a product have to go through RNG and spend a lot of money and not actually get what they were after. And you know, that is what they're designed to do, to lure people to spend more money than selling straight off the shelf. It's not fun and not in the interest of any consumer.

And like it or not, it is often at the cost of the truly invested ('addicted', if you will) customer. It's arguably the most profitable for ZOS, but in my book not the most ethical way of selling goods, and that goes for any business, not just video games.
    Edited by petraeus1 on August 20, 2016 3:48PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, Gina, show that you are honest at ZOS - and give us the chance table for these items - an honest one - this is the only thing to get an acceptance for this and to show that this is not just a blatant cash grab and preying on gambling addicts. Be honest with us and show us, that there is a reasonable chance to get these items, then we might accept it - but if it is like in Archeage with percentages of 0.1%, 0.01% and lower, then this cannot be accepted and some of us will never spend another dime on this game.

Well, it's their loss - it is about 180,000 crowns, which I will not spend on this game per year, and I would have played for long, but so I will leave when my ESO+ runs out in August 2017 and not spend a single US$ on this game until then - it's their loss.

Not to forget about that bunch of ESO gold edition packs, which I wanted to give as a gift to role play friends around christmas - this will as well not happen now. Nor do I need houses, and I would have bought like 12 of them - if not more - so be it - they do not want my money in a fair deal, they rather go for gamble.

I'm lucky my ESO+ is month by month so I've cancelled. Going to uninstalled tonight, which leaves loads of space for a new game. Might treat myself :smile:

Don't be rash and uninstall from game you love . Just don't support monetarily things that are cash grab . Speak out on social media for change and enjoy what you've already purchased . If game goes f2p and gameplay options get locked behind pay wall , then I would uninstall as it is hopeless at that point . Stay vigilant until the time comes my friend .
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really care about those crates but I won't buy any of those, I don't buy consumables from the CS and don't want to waste my money on these if I am unlucky to get those from a crate. There is currently just one mount that I missed but if I have to spent like 1000 € to get it, no way. :o

Yet, I'll be more than upset if they add amors and weapons, P2W stuff to the Crown Store, or if ESO go F2P, but as long as it is only cosmetics, I'm fine with it.

One Crown Crate each month for ESO Plus members would be nice I think. :)
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I think it's a baaaad idea! DCUO did this. Just a money grabbing ploy.

I also think over the last few months the Crown Store has become quite greedy with pricing. Mounts goung as high as 4,500, bankers and merchants at 5,000, extortionate prices for race and name changes... it concerns me. Unless you are rich, ESO is becoming out of reach of an average pocket.

I don't think it is a good business model. I think a cheaper price on things would mean more sales overall.

DCUO had bundle boxes... a chance to get a special aura... people with tons of money spend a fortune on it... It looks like Zenimax is going the same route :(
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed :)

Don't be rash and uninstall from game you love . Just don't support monetarily things that are cash grab . Speak out on social media for change and enjoy what you've already purchased . If game goes f2p and gameplay options get locked behind pay wall , then I would uninstall as it is hopeless at that point . Stay vigilant until the time comes my friend .

https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why go to all the trouble to make a new Currency for exchanges and returns like this?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ratfink
    ratfink
    Soul Shriven
    A big hell no for me. I'll stop supporting the game if this kind of gambling content is added.
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    That's a new low.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed @Cazzy, these boxes will not be there in the next few weeks - and the last word about those might not be spoken yet as well. You can still enjoy the game and wait and see - the majority is against it in this poll, maybe ZOS will rethink their stand on this. It might just not be such a good idea as they thought it would be - and maybe they will get this from our reactions.
  • Krileon
    Krileon
    ✭✭✭✭
    You've lost my respect. Gamble boxes fuel an extremely unhealthy behavior. They're a slippery slope that there's no recovering from. RIGHT NOW they're just cosmetics. Then they contain other bonuses. Then they contain an exclusive set. It's all downhill. I've no respect for any developer who even remotely thinks gamble boxes are a good idea and are healthy for the community.

Here's an idea. STOP. CYCLING. COSMETICS. If I want to buy a lightning horse let me buy a lightning horse. Don't remove it from the shop for "exclusivity". Instead do a sale. 30% of for 1 month a year for lightning horse. You don't understand how many cosmetics I'd of bought if you'd stop removing them.

Thanks for ruining my one and only MMO that I still had hope for. I guess I'll just be done with MMOs. You've ruined my last bit of passion for MMOs.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2.5 years ago those same ZOS faces would preach how important it would be to them to keep integrity of their game/brand and that they would never ever jump on the cash shop train.

Now they are selling RNG gambling/lottery tickets for cash. This is so hilarious and sad.
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on August 20, 2016 4:05PM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed @Cazzy, these boxes will not be there in the next few weeks - and the last word about those might not be spoken yet as well. You can still enjoy the game and wait and see - the majority is against it in this poll, maybe ZOS will rethink their stand on this. It might just not be such a good idea as they thought it would be - and maybe they will get this from our reactions.

Points @ZOS_GinaBruno and @ZOS_JessicaFolsom to the poll. ZOS "claims" to listen to our feed back and the major of players are saying "By Oblivion, NO!" This is a good chance for ZOS to prove that they do indeed listen to their players.
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    Total loss of integrity. Zero class.

• Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, you're right. I'll hold off on uninstalling for now. I just won't support them from now on nor will keep encouraging others to purchase. I think it's only a matter of time before all hope is lost though... :/

@Lysette @Rohamad_Ali
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Delpi wrote: »
    It'll automatically be added if you don't already own it.

Auroan wrote: »

There will be a separate section in the Crown Store where you can spend your Crown Gems, which will contain a special selection of items - it won't include every item from the Crown Store. Items will also be rotated occasionally so it won't be the same things all the time.

Okay, awesome, thank you for clarifying that for me. So it's kind of what I thought, just instead of seeing the entire collection of what's available in the Crown Crates to buy from with Crown Gems, you only see a certain number of them and they cycle through with different items every now and then. In other words, if there's something there and you got the Crown Gems, buy it, if nothing of interest is there for you, wait until the next cycle to see if what you want is there.
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • milkbox
    milkbox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only 'mystery box' I'll ever buy is from Archie McPhee (they're pretty great).

They are clearly already committed to this path, and maybe a third of the player base really likes this idea. I haven't been personally interested in a lot of the new features being implemented and planned- barber shop, housing, One Tamriel, now lockboxes... none of them are really my bag.

I've always maintained an attitude of "well, if somebody else likes it, it's good for them"- but if they get to the point where they're offering only things that other people like, well... maybe the whole thing isn't my bag.

If I wanted to shop and play house, I'd be in SecondLife. More gameplay, less cosmetics.

just my 2 crowns.
This discussion has been closed.