The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What do you think of Crown Store Random boxes/Lottery box?

• AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, don't ever add these into the game.
    Agobi wrote: »
    Moneygrabbing cash-sucking boxes are reason 1 to stop playing this game...Wouldn't be the first game I stopped p(l)aying because of cashgrab schemes from devs.. :/

It's likely not the devs. It's the marketing department.

Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are blowing this way out of proportion. All they have said is PREVIOUS limited offer cosmetics will bein these boxes. No future release things first, he specifically said items that have been removed from crown store in the past.
  • petraeus1
    petraeus1
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I dislike the random crown store boxes, to much of a gamble
    Buffler wrote: »
    People are blowing this way out of proportion. All they have said is PREVIOUS limited offer cosmetics will bein these boxes. No future release things first, he specifically said items that have been removed from crown store in the past.

He said specifically they will also add "super special mounts that you can only get in these".
  • Auroan
    Auroan
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, the box idea isn't such a bad idea, especially if it gives people an opportunity to grab items once thought lost forever, and additionally upcoming "super-special items". It becomes a problem, however, if there are P2W items in there, such as super pots, or stat'd gear that actually effects the games balance.
    It becomes a problem if the boxes become their main target of approach for new items (such as putting half of their new crown store merchandise in the boxes and the other half available to actually buy with crowns) instead of all of it going to crown store like it originally has been, but having additional really cool stuff in there, like peoples fantasized dragon mount.
    It becomes a problem when you start getting duplicates of stuff you already have. I've never, and will continue to never put any money in COD points for BO3, but when I get tokens via in-game and I open up multiple chests to get nothing but duplicates, my jimmies rustled to such a degree where it rips the very fabric of time and space around me and causes a Dragon Break. If the boxes contain nothing but cosmetics, items that were once thought lost, and actual exclusive, really cool items, then there's little problems I foresee.

Just please...no duplicates...by the Eight, no duplicates...
    Edited by Auroan on August 20, 2016 3:02PM
    "And the Scrolls have foretold, of black wings in the cold,
    That when brothers wage war come unfurled!
    Alduin, Bane of Kings, ancient shadow unbound,
    With a hunger to swallow the world!"
    54k Achievement Point Club
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong, Matt Firor said towards the end of that video link I posted, that there will be "super-special mounts" in the near future EXCLUSIVE to these boxes - they will not be available in any other way.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No watch the video a page or two back . There will be exclusive mounts in those and some super exclusive mounts only through lottery bags . There will be more content released in these then up for direct sales . Game will be F2P soon not B2P . Wait and see .
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes I like the random boxes idea so Long as they only have cosmetics

Yes AND he said:
    We're also going to add some super special mounts that you can only get in these that are very rare.

I don't care either way though. It's all cosmetic stuff - 8m 30s below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UcmPeXG7qQ&t=8m30s

Edited by Dominoid on August 20, 2016 2:44PM
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My voice will be lost in this thread but I'm not going to stay silent.

If/when they implement this or confirm it, I will have to say goodbye.

I have an addictive personality (been sober for about 6 years now) and ESO is (or was) my escape, my joy. I love collecting mounts, pets and costumes but I try to be very conscious with what I'm buying. Items that hide behind gambling boxes takes my choice away. I can't choose it. I can't decide what I purchase.

This makes me unhappy.

When a game that made me feel such joy suddenly makes me feel unhappy, I can't support it.

I looked at the crown store showcase again after the boxes were announced and realised I had lost my excitement for the costume and mount being released for a "Limited Time". I was looking forward to them only yesterday.

Make as big or as little of a deal of this as you will, but you're asking for real world money.

I genuinely supported you. I've got fan t-shirts and have stayed up until 5am to watch streams and live shows. I feel like I've met a hero and all he turned out to be is a greedy man in an expensive suit.
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate this kind of stuff, and honestly think it belongs to f2p games.

You don't see what's coming ? This is always prep for F2P . This is how they start transforming . After that switch then they start locking down certain systems in game only available to subscribers . Like being able to use guild features . Getting end game loot in dungeons ect . I suspect this will go F2P , just download soon .

I agree. I see this happening in another year or so. SWTOR is just like that, technically free to play but with many features tied to a subscription or unlockables in their version of the Crown Store.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup you are right i missed that

No watch the video a page or two back . There will be exclusive mounts in those and some super exclusive mounts only through lottery bags . There will be more content released in these then up for direct sales . Game will be F2P soon not B2P . Wait and see .

You are right he does say that but its a tad confusing because at the very end he sums up by saying "so basically you buy one of these crates and you have a chance to get that super special mount you missed out on before"

I think a more clear and concise explanation is needed b4 people scaremonger over f2p etc
  • Wrekkedd
    Wrekkedd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cazzy wrote: »
    My voice will be lost in this thread but I'm not going to stay silent.

If/when they implement this or confirm it, I will have to say goodbye.

I have an addictive personality (been sober for about 6 years now) and ESO is (or was) my escape, my joy. I love collecting mounts, pets and costumes but I try to be very conscious with what I'm buying. Items that hide behind gambling boxes takes my choice away. I can't choose it. I can't decide what I purchase.

This makes me unhappy.

When a game that made me feel such joy suddenly makes me feel unhappy, I can't support it.

I looked at the crown store showcase again after the boxes were announced and realised I had lost my excitement for the costume and mount being released for a "Limited Time". I was looking forward to them only yesterday.

Make as big or as little of a deal of this as you will, but you're asking for real world money.

I genuinely supported you. I've got fan t-shirts and have stayed up until 5am to watch streams and live shows. I feel like I've met a hero and all he turned out to be is a greedy man in an expensive suit.

I really couldn't have said it better myself. This is a BAD idea, sure they will make some money....the amount of LOYAL players who consistently spend money that will leave because of this will even out the profit or flat out make the game as a whole less profitable. Sell the "super special mounts for 5k crowns and make your money there, just please do not go this direction....
    Edited by Wrekkedd on August 20, 2016 2:51PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup you are right i missed that

You are right he does say that but its a tad confusing because at the very end he sums up by saying "so basically you buy one of these crates and you have a chance to get that super special mount you missed out on before"

I think a more clear and concise explanation is needed b4 people scaremonger over f2p etc

Now what is unclear with this statement - this goes for every lottery in the world - you can win the jack pot with just 1 ticket - if you are extremely lucky - that is the chance you get - it is more likely to be struck 3 times by lightning and survive it - but hey, it is a chance.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 2:52PM
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    • Considering they said the only things that would be in the boxes were items only on the crown store, which don't really give you a edge, I have no issues with the items.
    • They've said they were going to re-release these limited time mounts again at some point in time so the idea of them putting old items in the loot box table is no big surprise nor a big deal.
    • As for the exclusive mounts in the loot boxes? Nothing new, they've had exclusive stuff for subs (like me) who've been here for ages.

Regardless of everything said, unless they put items in the loot boxes that give a real edge in combat over those with much time in the game, there is no real reason to be upset over these boxes. Nothing would be gained, other than shiny toys. Just chill my m8s.
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For all of the people who are so adamant about this never coming into the game - how about you just don't buy one?

Personally I won't, but to be all up in arms about it is just silly.

I bought the Imperial Edition so I would always have access to a mount - and I bought the Lion mount.

Never bought a costume, or a starter pack, never will I buy a race/appearance change, but I did use my ESO + crowns for some bag upgrades when they went on sale a while ago.

Some people think it's a good idea, why not let them have it? If you don't like it - just keep your crowns for something else.

No one is forcing you to gamble with your crowns
  • Stiltz
    Stiltz
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's ridiculous that people are getting upset over this. I would understand if it was pay to win items but cosmetics and mounts? Who gives a flying ****? If you don't want to buy one then don't. It's as simple as that.

The fact is that there will be plenty of people that will be all over this, and that will bring in revenue which will help cover expenses for new content and the fixes that the players need.

I will most likely never even consider buying one, but I couldn't possibly care any less what others do with their crowns.

Edited by Stiltz on August 20, 2016 3:08PM
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate this kind of stuff, and honestly think it belongs to f2p games.

You don't see what's coming ? This is always prep for F2P . This is how they start transforming . After that switch then they start locking down certain systems in game only available to subscribers . Like being able to use guild features . Getting end game loot in dungeons ect . I suspect this will go F2P , just download soon .

I agree. I see this happening in another year or so. SWTOR is just like that, technically free to play but with many features tied to a subscription or unlockables in their version of the Crown Store.

Yes SWTOR is dead now . They are trying to bring back old story telling Bioware way but nobody is caring . Too little too late for them . They fleeced their customers into extinction .

Blade of Souls got away with this only because it was always 100% F2P from start so no one could argue . An they put even better things in game to be acquired so fans look at theirs as more of a support the game feature .
    Edited by Rohamad_Ali on August 20, 2016 3:11PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for your thoughts on the upcoming Crown Crates, everyone. Just want to clarify a few points -

First, Crown Crates will be available later this year, and will only include cosmetic or convenience items. You'll find things like potions and other consumables, pets, costumes, and - yes - sometimes even mounts. This will give you a chance to try and obtain previous limited time offers, or even some very unique items as Matt mentioned. It will not include things like armor or weapons.

In the event you get an item that you already own, you can exchange it for a currency called Crown Gems which will allow you to buy a different item of your choice.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your thoughts on the upcoming Crown Crates, everyone. Just want to clarify a few points -

First, Crown Crates will be available later this year, and will only include cosmetic or convenience items. You'll find things like potions and other consumables, pets, costumes, and - yes - sometimes even mounts. This will give you a chance to try and obtain previous limited time offers, or even some very unique items as Matt mentioned. It will not include things like armor or weapons.

In the event you get an item that you already own, you can exchange it for a currency called Crown Gems which will allow you to buy a different item of your choice.

So I guess this is goodbye :/
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiltz wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that people are getting upset over this. I would understand if it was pay to win items but cosmetics and mounts? Who gives a flying ****? If you don't want to buy one then don't. It's as simple as that.

The fact is that there will be plenty of people that will be all over this, and that will bring in revenue which will help cover expenses for new content and the fixes that the players need.

I will most likely never even consider buying one, but I couldn't possibly care any less what others do with their crowns.

The stuff you get is NOT the concern from me . It's the telling sign of business model change seen in all other games that go F2P and make everything worse ingame . That is the concern from me . If One Tamriel is launched and F2P is surprised announced same time , I won't be surprised .
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bit extreme, y would you leave over this?
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stiltz wrote: »

Well, I care about cosmetics and I bought many of the mounts/costumes from crown store.
    But the thing is, I will not gamble with rl money so I will miss that stuff.
    Also gambling leads to unheathy situations where people spend much more than they expected, and for developers there's a huge temptation to add p2w items in those boxes...
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I dislike the random crown store boxes, to much of a gamble

Dear Lady @ZOS_GinaBruno --So about those "Crown Gems." What is the ratio to crown spent vs how much "Crown Gems" do a player get back. For example, If I spend 200 crowns on a box and got a mount I already have. Will I get 200 "Crown Gems?"
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    k9mouse wrote: »

Dear Lady @ZOS_GinaBruno --So about those "Crown Gems." What is the ratio to crown spent vs how much "Crown Gems" do a player get back. For example, If I spend 200 crowns on a box and got a mount I already have. Will I get 200 "Crown Gems?"

I'm honestly not sure what the conversion for each item is.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now, Gina, show that you are honest at ZOS - and give us the chance table for these items - an honest one - this is the only thing to get an acceptance for this and to show that this is not just a blatant cash grab and preying on gambling addicts. Be honest with us and show us, that there is a reasonable chance to get these items, then we might accept it - but if it is like in Archeage with percentages of 0.1%, 0.01% and lower, then this cannot be accepted and some of us will never spend another dime on this game.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 3:19PM
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

@Buffler read my post prior to this. Scroll up a bit.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Now, Gina, show that you are honest at ZOS - and give us the chance table for these items - an honest one - this is the only thing to get an acceptance for this and to show that this is not just a blatant cash grab and preying on gambling addicts. Be honest with us and show us, that there is a reasonable chance to get these items, then we might accept it - but if it is like in Archeage with percentages of 0.1%, 0.01% and lower, then this cannot be accepted and some of us will never spend another dime on this game.

Knowing ZOS history with RNG, I expect the worst. :/
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

Knowing ZOS history with RNG, I expect the worst. :/

Well, it's their loss - it is about 180,000 crowns, which I will not spend on this game per year, and I would have played for long, but so I will leave when my ESO+ runs out in August 2017 and not spend a single US$ on this game until then - it's their loss.

Not to forget about that bunch of ESO gold edition packs, which I wanted to give as a gift to role play friends around christmas - this will as well not happen now. Nor do I need houses, and I would have bought like 12 of them - if not more - so be it - they do not want my money in a fair deal, they rather go for gamble.
    Edited by Lysette on August 20, 2016 3:33PM
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes but I just want it to be pay to win items, plus cosmetics
    :trollface:
  • Buffler
    Buffler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Buffler read my post prior to this. Scroll up a bit.

I have read it and still dont see why you would leave over these crates, if you enjoy the game as much as you say
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a mess but no doubt they new of backlash and in probably why no live stream at event . I am very sad for future of this game . Money is needed but anything would be better then cash grab . Lower subscription deal $10 a month to boost subscription rates one idea . Keep same crown store model do not add lottery . Stay away from F2P marketing strategy . Gamers are wiser to the deception of this and don't fall to tricks as easy anymore . Sell box sets in bundles , give good deals but don't fleece customers with trickery .
This discussion has been closed.