The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP, PvE or RP - Which do you enjoy most?

• Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP
    can someone please explain what the appeal of RP is? Do you have too much time on your hands and you are bored? Do you enjoy acting but do not want to do it IRL? Or do you actually enjoy ignoring reward/achievement based game play in favor of acting out random scenes with no structure? Seriously, not trying to be an ass....just do not understand it

Do you enjoy any creative type hobbies IRL such as drawing, painting, playing music, etc. Or do you believe all hobbies need to produce a tangible end product? I'm trying to understand your perspective and why you may be finding it difficult to understand how some people might derive enjoyment from roleplaying on a RPG.
    Edited by Grunim on July 22, 2016 6:28PM
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    I like PvP but the people are very grumpy and irritable , so I end up in PvE a lot . I like listening to the stories in the quests and adventuring . People don't like listening to NPCs often so I solo .
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    can someone please explain what the appeal of RP is? Do you have too much time on your hands and you are bored? Do you enjoy acting but do not want to do it IRL? Or do you actually enjoy ignoring reward/achievement based game play in favor of acting out random scenes with no structure? Seriously, not trying to be an ass....just do not understand it

well...since you asked...

The satisfaction of RP comes, for me at least, from two basic areas...

1 - I love creating complex detail - background, motivation, action - for my personal character. Sometimes my character is a...more idealized...version of myself. Sometimes my characters are...things I wonder what it would be like to be like that are generally very or even totally different from me. So, it's a chance to create complex background stories, it's a chance to experiment with possible identities...

2 - I love adaptive storytelling. It's part of why I play video games in general, and one of the best aspects of RP. You create a character - you're introduced to a situation - you choose an action, that action has consequences...okay so far. But, it turns out that there are...lets say, 3 - maybe 4 - other people in your group. Now, they choose actions based on their backgrounds - their actions change the situation - their actions affect the consequences of the actions you chose...

The less individual control you have over the situation, the more versatile, and ingenious you have to become - and, at the same time, you're being introduced to ideas, possibilities, that come from other people who can have different, or WILDLY different perspectives from you. Sure, it's not *always* innovative or even competent - there are RP fanboys (fanbois if you prefer), teenage fanfic writers, god-modders and mary-sues, but there are also genuinely innovative characters made by people other than you - funny, insightful, surprisingly dramatic, even romantic (although be careful with those :))

In short, RP is a chance, just a chance - at fun, good, possibly even great - storytelling - doesn't always pay off, but it's generally free (except for the obvious time investment), and when it's working, it's vastly more satisfying than anything but the best written scripted RP you've ever encountered

again...since you asked
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE
    I would prefer PvP if it was done better but it's too big and broken for me to enjoy so I prefer PvE.

• DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cazzy wrote: »

You seem quite angry at people who RP D:

not angry just baffled. I seriously would like someone to explain the appeal of it. I just can not grasp why this a thing. If I was ever given a decent explanation I might even try it some time, but all I ever hear is "you either RP or you don't" I do not really know any RPers to get a straight answer.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP
    Most people understand different things under the term role play. To me it is to immerse into my character and see and experience the world from her/his perspective and make decisions from that perspective, even if I know that a different decision would lead to better results - like min/maxing - I go for what the character would do and ignore meta facts to the most part.

@DurzoBlint13 is that straight enough or do you need more information?
    Edited by Lysette on July 22, 2016 6:48PM
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    phermitgb wrote: »

well...since you asked...

The satisfaction of RP comes, for me at least, from two basic areas...

1 - I love creating complex detail - background, motivation, action - for my personal character. Sometimes my character is a...more idealized...version of myself. Sometimes my characters are...things I wonder what it would be like to be like that are generally very or even totally different from me. So, it's a chance to create complex background stories, it's a chance to experiment with possible identities...

2 - I love adaptive storytelling. It's part of why I play video games in general, and one of the best aspects of RP. You create a character - you're introduced to a situation - you choose an action, that action has consequences...okay so far. But, it turns out that there are...lets say, 3 - maybe 4 - other people in your group. Now, they choose actions based on their backgrounds - their actions change the situation - their actions affect the consequences of the actions you chose...

The less individual control you have over the situation, the more versatile, and ingenious you have to become - and, at the same time, you're being introduced to ideas, possibilities, that come from other people who can have different, or WILDLY different perspectives from you. Sure, it's not *always* innovative or even competent - there are RP fanboys (fanbois if you prefer), teenage fanfic writers, god-modders and mary-sues, but there are also genuinely innovative characters made by people other than you - funny, insightful, surprisingly dramatic, even romantic (although be careful with those :))

In short, RP is a chance, just a chance - at fun, good, possibly even great - storytelling - doesn't always pay off, but it's generally free (except for the obvious time investment), and when it's working, it's vastly more satisfying than anything but the best written scripted RP you've ever encountered

again...since you asked

thank you. That is more what I was looking for. It still does not appeal to me but at least you took time to think through the answer and it does make sense. I can see how some people would like this but it just is not my cup of tea. I appreciate the time you took to reply
  • phermitgb
    phermitgb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    anytime...glad I could help.
    "There is no correct resolution; It's a test of character."
    James T. Kirk
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE

You seem quite angry at people who RP D:

not angry just baffled. I seriously would like someone to explain the appeal of it. I just can not grasp why this a thing. If I was ever given a decent explanation I might even try it some time, but all I ever hear is "you either RP or you don't" I do not really know any RPers to get a straight answer.
    I don't RP but it seems to me it's all about imagination to better immerse yourself.
    Try singing the imagination song to see if it helps :p
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wcYvCnAMyw
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me RP involves just me. For example "Shenron Nacht" is a defender of good and the meek. In cropsford he protects all the lower levels and hunfs gankers.

"Waffennacht" on the other hand is an assassin and thief. More like the pirates with Marks, he uses the alliance war to fill bloodlust and his pockets. He absolutely loves finding players that think holding up block will save their lives.

In PvP vs PvE, i play one until the other is new and exciting again. I really do enjoy both, though I'm leaning towards small scale PvP (arena please)
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grunim wrote: »

Do you enjoy any creative type hobbies IRL such as drawing, painting, playing music, etc. Or do you believe all hobbies need to produce a tangible end product? I'm trying to understand your perspective and why you may be finding it difficult to understand how some people might derive enjoyment from roleplaying on a RPG.

sorry but no I do not draw or paint or play music. I play video game with some form progressive aspect to them as my hobby. I am more scientifically minded than most people and I think very analytically. I need to goal to achieve or I can not get motivated to do things. Again, I am not really against RPers, I just don't see how that is fun. To each his own I guess. I would rather sit and do a Sudoku puzzle than make up back stories for characters that serve no purpose. My girlfriend is an artist and she tells me to "lighten up" all the time and that I should "do things just for the sake of doing them" but that is just not how I think or act. Maybe I am just an "uptight jerk" like she calls me when she is mad at me....Lol. Thanks
  • Vruci
    Vruci
    ✭✭
    RP
    It's sorta just fun and light- nothing difficult or challenging. I do however enjoy PvP because I'm a jerk and get happy when I kill people. I've also always loved pve because pve people are so nice, but you just can't KILL PEOPLE in pve...
    I have a god complex. Don't judge. Or do judge. I will thus proceed to smite you.
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP
    ESO PvP is the most awesome, well.. when ESO first launched... now ZOS is not taking proper measures to fix it and restore it to its prior state.. as its always has been advertised.. HUGE PvP where players are by thousands in Cyrodiil... not as it is now...
    PC EU

• Vruci
    Vruci
    ✭✭
    RP
    Your name is Durzo Blint right? What book is he from? I can't remember. But he was the ass kicking assassin dude. You obviously enjoyed the book if your name is Durzo Blint. Now imagine you can create a story like that book, except you are Durzo. You are that ass kicking assassin. The story unfolds, except instead of reading it on a page you are acting it out yourself with your friends. Fun, no?

I don't understand how you can say 'I don't understand things where there is no tangible product at the end' and then read a book.
    I have a god complex. Don't judge. Or do judge. I will thus proceed to smite you.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP
    Grunim wrote: »

sorry but no I do not draw or paint or play music. I play video game with some form progressive aspect to them as my hobby. I am more scientifically minded than most people and I think very analytically. I need to goal to achieve or I can not get motivated to do things. Again, I am not really against RPers, I just don't see how that is fun. To each his own I guess. I would rather sit and do a Sudoku puzzle than make up back stories for characters that serve no purpose. My girlfriend is an artist and she tells me to "lighten up" all the time and that I should "do things just for the sake of doing them" but that is just not how I think or act. Maybe I am just an "uptight jerk" like she calls me when she is mad at me....Lol. Thanks

Well, I am a scientist and think very strategically and analytical as well - in my profession - but when i am in private, I am not like this, I tend to do things, which relax me, are exciting to do or just provide a fun experience - the only purpose is to enjoy them, if possible together with my partner, but if not, then alone or with other friends. I need this to balance things out, otherwise I would loose what makes me human - I guess, that is what your gf might want to achieve when she suggests to do things just for the sake of doing them - she wants you to be more human and give your feelings the advantage over logic.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    RP
    Feature-wise RP is the most neglected ,while it is actually a very important one because it can give lasting amusement in areas which the player finished all the designed content of.So hence my vote for RP as I believe its importance overshadows the other two..
    I always choose RP servers in mmo's when I can,just because there is a special mood/atmosphere which makes it more pleasant to play.
    I guess I suggested the content packs for guild events (link in signature) to finally give the RP-side of the game more love
    Edited by Tipsy on July 22, 2016 7:22PM
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vruci wrote: »
    Your name is Durzo Blint right? What book is he from? I can't remember. But he was the ass kicking assassin dude. You obviously enjoyed the book if your name is Durzo Blint. Now imagine you can create a story like that book, except you are Durzo. You are that ass kicking assassin. The story unfolds, except instead of reading it on a page you are acting it out yourself with your friends. Fun, no?

I don't understand how you can say 'I don't understand things where there is no tangible product at the end' and then read a book.

the name is from the "Nightangel Trilogy". To me reading is completely different than buying a combat focused game and ignoring the combat. It seems to me to be like getting the "Song of Fire and Ice" series and only reading the parts about Tyrion. And in the books that I read they are working toward a goal. Books with no plot and no progression quickly get sold again. Books like "The Sorcerer's Ring" just hold no interest for me. It is hard to explain in the 4 mintues I have left before work ends, but to me there is a big difference between reading for reading sake and reading to enjoy a story or characters. Sorry, wish I could put it into words but that is pretty much the same as the difference between me not understanding RP and you not understanding me. Live and let live. Enjoy your imaginations kiddos!
    as a side note I might like to sit in on a RP session some time and see what it is I am not understanding. Maybe I have to be there to get it?
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP
    Tipsy wrote: »
    Feature-wise RP is the most neglected ,while it is actually a very important one because it can give lasting amusement in areas which the player finished all the designed content of.So hence my vote for RP as I believe its importance overshadows the other two..
    I always choose RP servers in mmo's when I can,just because there is a special mood/atmosphere which makes it more pleasant to play.
    I guess I suggested the content packs for guild events (link in signature) to finally give the RP-side of the game more love

It would be a start already, if we could actually sit on things - like blend into the atmosphere of an inn and use furniture just like the NPCs can do it. This is such an elementary thing to have in an RPG - and ZOS did not implement it - I can really not understand why.
  • DurzoBlint13
    DurzoBlint13
    ✭✭✭✭
    thank you to everyone that gave me a thought out answer instead of the usual vitriol you get on forums. I may have come off as an ass but I really was not trying to be. Just frustrated today
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RP
    Vruci wrote: »

the name is from the "Nightangel Trilogy". To me reading is completely different than buying a combat focused game and ignoring the combat. It seems to me to be like getting the "Song of Fire and Ice" series and only reading the parts about Tyrion. And in the books that I read they are working toward a goal. Books with no plot and no progression quickly get sold again. Books like "The Sorcerer's Ring" just hold no interest for me. It is hard to explain in the 4 mintues I have left before work ends, but to me there is a big difference between reading for reading sake and reading to enjoy a story or characters. Sorry, wish I could put it into words but that is pretty much the same as the difference between me not understanding RP and you not understanding me. Live and let live. Enjoy your imaginations kiddos!
    as a side note I might like to sit in on a RP session some time and see what it is I am not understanding. Maybe I have to be there to get it?

Did you watch the movie "Avatar" - when Jake started out, he was an Avatar driver - with a meta-purpose - that is like what you are doing - but his adventure started, when he immersed into the character and started to see things from that perspective, guided by Neytiri and he became the character - he immersed fully into the role and started to live as a Na'vi, no longer being a driver of an Avatar, but being the Avatar himself - maybe that helps to understand the fascination.
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RP
    Also to add to the RP side of things: I think the imagination is an overlooked element of the human existence. I love to write novels, draw, create music and I come from family of successful animators, writers and artists. Take away the imagination and we would have no music, no books, no ESO! When imagination and creativity breed then world's are created.

latest?cb=20080601152554
  • shauny.gibbsb16_ESO
    PvP
    Love PvP in eso, minus the issues ofc.

Looking at the split I'm surprised at how even it is, maybe ZoS should pay attention and realise PvP is a big part of thier game and give us some much needed love.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    Also to add to the RP side of things: I think the imagination is an overlooked element of the human existence. I love to write novels, draw, create music and I come from family of successful animators, writers and artists. Take away the imagination and we would have no music, no books, no ESO! When imagination and creativity breed then world's are created
    Very well said. Best post of the day.

'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP
    WOW ZOS LOOKS LIKE PEOPLE PLAY PVP CRAZY AM I RIGHT? now how about you make good pvp for the 43% of the player base who likes it most
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • zuto40
    zuto40
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP
    thank you to everyone that gave me a thought out answer instead of the usual vitriol you get on forums. I may have come off as an ass but I really was not trying to be. Just frustrated today

You have quite a nice name, to bad it isnt durzo flint ;)
    Stamblade- Legate
    Tank/Heals Templar- Sergeant
    Magic DK- Corporal
    Stam DK- Sergeant
    Stamplar- Corporal

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy8uqORxhlrMh8oz2230s9g
  • Cazzy
    Cazzy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RP
    paganach wrote: »
    Also to add to the RP side of things: I think the imagination is an overlooked element of the human existence. I love to write novels, draw, create music and I come from family of successful animators, writers and artists. Take away the imagination and we would have no music, no books, no ESO! When imagination and creativity breed then world's are created
    Very well said. Best post of the day.

Thank you :blush:
  • Humatiel
    Humatiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    Very well done OP making people choose one or the other, otherwise everyone would choose both and the poll would be moot. It's interesting to see PvE is currently ahead given I assumed this community was far more heavily focused on pvp.
    VMA | vHRC-HM | vAA-HM | vSO-HM | vMOL-HM
    700+ CP
    GM of Luxury Raids
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvE
    I desperately tried to give pvp another chance earlier, and it sucked so bad.

I really love and hate pvp in this game, mainly because all the obvious exploits and bugs and problems are impossible to ignore, if you dare to step outside of your faction base for longer than 1min.
  • Ghost-Shot
    Ghost-Shot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvP
    I desperately tried to give pvp another chance earlier, and it sucked so bad.

I really love and hate pvp in this game, mainly because all the obvious exploits and bugs and problems are impossible to ignore, if you dare to step outside of your faction base for longer than 1min.

I'd assume that has to do with it being posted on the general forum and a lot us stick to the alliance war forum.
  • Glamdring
    Glamdring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always been a RP and when i started eso i looked at the map in auridon and went directly to the tavern to have a drink and some food and have a chat with other players there. To my suprise i couldnt order anything, i couldnt even sit down and no other ppl/players where there. I couldnt find a place to sleep, i couldnt get a job in town and so on. In just a few days of playing my RP efforts where diminishing. And i went the same route every new player is forced to do, the quest after quest after quest route. Now im in pvp almost all my playtime, and my efforts to roleplay is just a vague memory.