The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.4 is available.

Let's talk about why there is no Magic Damage increase passive

Nifty2g
Nifty2g
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
How come this is still not added into the game? I was for sure with this racial rebalance we would be seeing a passive to Altmer or Breton to increase Magic Damage by 3-5%, for the classes of Nightblades and Templars are becoming weaker and weaker due to the fact they just can't keep up with Fire, Frost and Shock Damage bonuses.

From a balance point of view I see no reason why this isn't in the game at the moment. It's still very early into the PTS, I'm hoping it can be made into Live, especially with the recent change to Dunmer including all the Elemental Damage in the world but leaving Altmer or Breton without Magic Damage.
@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @Wrobel
Magic damage should be given to Altmers for obvious lore reasons, Bretons could use some love but I am very against lore discrepancies. Bretons have always been good at mitigating magical damage, rather than controlling it. Their spell resistance passive should have an added bonus where they restore a minor amount of Magicka based on the damage taken from Elemental/Magic (1-3%, with a possible cap of resource return, or even a flat value).

Altmers should then receive the Magic damage amp and see a 1% nerf to all sources (instead of 4% Fire/Ice/Shock, 3% of each + Magic damage).

Poison/Disease damage to Woodelves, as Argonians are already pretty suitable in terms of healers and tanks now. 2-3% Poison+Disease damage, and reduction would be a balanced setup to put them in line but not over the top with other Stamina builds.

The main thing when dealing with racial reworks in gauging them in terms of power for a multitude of specs, rather than just one aspect of game play. For example, Khajiit recently got a 6% Stamina amp, despite being the highest PvE dps in game at the moment. Sure they sacrifice sustain, but good play can alleviate that. Their efficiency severely dipped in terms of PvP due to Poisons (Minor Uncertainty/etc) and Impen/Resiliant stats, making them by far the worst stamina race in that light.
Yes we are definitely coming from a PvE centric point of view, but in PvP between all of the mitigation and the damage reductions that 3% won't change much. In PvE however it would help provide an alternative racial choice, which is the point of racial changes.

Edited by Nifty2g on June 27, 2016 11:33PM
#MOREORBS
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree that we need a magic damage passive added.

Seeing as how half of the classes in this game are based around magic damage. I think it's long overdue for a magic damage passive to be included.

Please ZoS.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
    Options
  • Function
    Function
    ✭✭✭
    YES! Please add a magic damage passive, maybe instead of the useless 1% AP bonus Bretons are getting?
    Options
  • reclaimervii.sierra117ub17_ESO
    Breton's need some love Spell Resistance is useless
    Options
  • MrCray78
    MrCray78
    ✭✭✭✭
    16j1ux.jpg
    PC EU PvE CP1500(Play from Beta 12/02/2014) : @MrCray78

Silver Diamand-Rouge(Main) : Stamblade 114K Dummy
    Silver The Liberator : StamArcanist for HUGE DPSSSSSSS 121K Dummy
    6 Other Class Character but didnt used them.
    Options
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    How come this is still not added into the game? I was for sure with this racial rebalance we would be seeing a passive to Altmer to increase Magic Damage by 3%, for the classes of Nightblades and Templars are becoming weaker and weaker due to the fact they just can't keep up with Fire, Frost and Shock Damage bonuses.

From a balance point of view I see no reason why this isn't in the game at the moment. It's still very early into the PTS, I'm hoping it can be made into Live, especially with the recent change to Dunmer including all the Elemental Damage in the world but leaving Altmer without Magic Damage.

I would give Bretons Magic damage, Argonians poison damage. Why khajit were buffed I am clueless. Already highest damage dealing stam class in the game.
    Options
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it to Altmer please, Bretons are dirty and smell of elderberries.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How come this is still not added into the game? I was for sure with this racial rebalance we would be seeing a passive to Altmer to increase Magic Damage by 3%, for the classes of Nightblades and Templars are becoming weaker and weaker due to the fact they just can't keep up with Fire, Frost and Shock Damage bonuses.

From a balance point of view I see no reason why this isn't in the game at the moment. It's still very early into the PTS, I'm hoping it can be made into Live, especially with the recent change to Dunmer including all the Elemental Damage in the world but leaving Altmer without Magic Damage.

I would give Bretons Magic damage, Argonians poison damage. Why khajit were buffed I am clueless. Already highest damage dealing stam class in the game.
    Yeah I changed it, Altmer or Breton. Either one of them need it cause of Lore reasons. But really @Wrobel at this point. It needs to be in the game
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can call it magic vortex @Wrobel
    Options
  • hedna123b14_ESO
    hedna123b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I changed it, Altmer or Breton. Either one of them need it cause of Lore reasons. But really @Wrobel at this point. It needs to be in the game

Agreed...
    Options
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And its harder to stack magic/spell damage as opposed to weapon damage too !
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And its harder to stack magic/spell damage as opposed to weapon damage too !
    Kind of a problem when Nightblades are out sourcing their damage to Force Pulse rather than their class skills
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    How come this is still not added into the game? I was for sure with this racial rebalance we would be seeing a passive to Altmer or Breton to increase Magic Damage by 3-5%, for the classes of Nightblades and Templars are becoming weaker and weaker due to the fact they just can't keep up with Fire, Frost and Shock Damage bonuses.

From a balance point of view I see no reason why this isn't in the game at the moment. It's still very early into the PTS, I'm hoping it can be made into Live, especially with the recent change to Dunmer including all the Elemental Damage in the world but leaving Altmer or Breton without Magic Damage.

They could give it to altmer, like only a 3% dmg increase or smth like that. Didnt get a single buff compared to darkelf.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

They could give it to altmer, like only a 3% dmg increase or smth like that. Didnt get a single buff compared to darkelf.
    I agree to give it to Altmer, wouldn't really make sense for a Breton since they are made for healing/sustain and some defense
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I was gonna wait for official threads but for real... Bretons racials are the worst now for magicka builds, and I don't know which role are Breton characters supposed to be good at. Magicka sustain with a negligible cost reduction passive?

On the other hand for magicka builds dps you have altmer (also with increased sustain!) and dunmer. And for heals you have Argonians now.

For Bretons ZOS should work around something like magic damage increase in the lines of the OP's arguments, or something in the lines of heavy armor mechanics: convert damage taken to magicka or convert damage taken to increased magic damage or spell damage.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to know if this feedback is able to be passed along for consideration in changes @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic damage should be given to Altmers for obvious lore reasons, Bretons could use some love but I am very against lore discrepancies. Bretons have always been good at mitigating magical damage, rather than controlling it. Their spell resistance passive should have an added bonus where they restore a minor amount of Magicka based on the damage taken from Elemental/Magic (1-3%, with a possible cap of resource return, or even a flat value).

Altmers should then receive the Magic damage amp and see a 1% nerf to all sources (instead of 4% Fire/Ice/Shock, 3% of each + Magic damage).

Poison/Disease damage to Woodelves, as Argonians are already pretty suitable in terms of healers and tanks now. 2-3% Poison+Disease damage, and reduction would be a balanced setup to put them in line but not over the top with other Stamina builds.

The main thing when dealing with racial reworks in gauging them in terms of power for a multitude of specs, rather than just one aspect of game play. For example, Khajiit recently got a 6% Stamina amp, despite being the highest PvE dps in game at the moment. Sure they sacrifice sustain, but good play can alleviate that. Their efficiency severely dipped in terms of PvP due to Poisons (Minor Uncertainty/etc) and Impen/Resiliant stats, making them by far the worst stamina race in that light.

Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
    Options
  • NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bretons has allways been the defensive mage while high-elf has been the offensive mage. Right now the extra damage high-elves get to their elemental dmg isnt really checked by the bretons mag resist. Both passives could use a slight buff though bretons need it the most. Im not asking for more damage to the bretons but atleast make the spellresist noteworthy.
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
    Options
  • Polysemy
    Polysemy
    ✭✭✭
    +1
    Grade A ***
    Options
  • reclaimervii.sierra117ub17_ESO

This is better
    Options
  • JaceSB
    JaceSB
    ✭✭
    Bretons do need to see some sort of a buff in my opinion but I do agree that it should stay lore friendly. Altmer should get the Magic Damage increase passive along with their Elemental Damage passive. What I think would be cool to see is Bretons basically being the "Magicka Equivalent" to Redguard. Meaning that they should get a passive that does something similar to the Adrenaline Rush passive except it returns Magicka on hit. I don't think it should be nearly as beneficial as Redguard though because of the fact that Magicka users have so many ways to get their Magicka back. (Orbs, Elemental Drain, Siphon Spirit, etc.)

Seeing Altmers get an increase to Magic damage would be 100% Lore friendly in my opinion, and it would also be more valuable for classes like Tempar and Nightblade who do almost 90% Magic damage in their rotations.
    Options
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you can stack max Magicka much higher then max stamina, thus it's a wash. If you could hit the high 40k/50k on stamina then I'd agree. But it's balanced this way.
    Xbox NA : CP 160 StamPlar, MagNB, MagSorc, StamSorc, StamDK, StamNB, Level 10 MagDK & MagPlar, StamWarden, MagWarden

"We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome." - The Balance Lord Wrobel
    - And now it sure does, better learn how to bash folks!

I get by with a little help from logic.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because you can stack max Magicka much higher then max stamina, thus it's a wash. If you could hit the high 40k/50k on stamina then I'd agree. But it's balanced this way.
    I don't see how that has relevance to the topic.
    Magic Damage is a source of damage like physical, fire, frost, ice, lightning, poison, etc. But because magic damage is often a class related damage source it should have a passive to buff it for Nightblades and Templars seeing as Sorcerers and Dragonknights currently get their damage sources buffed by Dunmer and Altmer passives.
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic Damage is a source of damage like physical, fire, frost, ice, lightning, poison, etc. But because magic damage is often a class related damage source it should have a passive to buff it for Nightblades and Templars seeing as Sorcerers and Dragonknights currently get their damage sources buffed by Dunmer and Altmer passives.

Because max Magicka boosts magic damage. If you had 45k max Magicka in addition to Magic damage that would skew all dps towards Magicka. The 10-15k extra max Magicka that is easily attainable is equal to in terms of magic damage than a weapon damage passive.
    Xbox NA : CP 160 StamPlar, MagNB, MagSorc, StamSorc, StamDK, StamNB, Level 10 MagDK & MagPlar, StamWarden, MagWarden

"We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome." - The Balance Lord Wrobel

Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because max Magicka boosts magic damage. If you had 45k max Magicka in addition to Magic damage that would skew all dps towards Magicka. The 10-15k extra max Magicka that is easily attainable is equal to in terms of magic damage than a weapon damage passive.
    max magicka boosts all sources of your damage not just magic damage, go increase your max magic and have a look at your tool tips, magic damage is just tried to skills that are not elemental damage.
    magic damage is doing less damage than elemental damage due to their being 0 passives to increase it other than champion points
    Edited by Nifty2g on June 27, 2016 9:05PM
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Max Magicka = increased Magic dps
    Max spell power = increased magic dps
    Max stamina = increased stamina dps
    Max weapon damage = increased stamina dps

Max Magicka = 45kish +
    Max spell power = 3000ish
    Max stamina = 35k ish
    Max weapon damage = 4k ish

1 k more weapon damage = 10 k more max Magicka (roughly).

In terms of balance, if you want 4K spell power then give Stam classes an extra 10k more max stamina (do you really want folks running around with 50k Stam? I don't think so). This is balance. The baseline DPS of each based on these stats are roughly equal.

Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max Magicka = 45kish +
    Max stamina = 35k ish

In terms of balance, if you want 4K spell power then give Stam classes an extra 10k more max stamina (do you really want folks running around with 50k Stam? I don't think so). This is balance. The baseline DPS of each based on these stats are roughly equal.
    I don't know where you have gotten this information from...
    Max stamina and max magicka increase overall damage from every source, not a specific type of damage

And I don't think you are understanding the bases of what I am asking for with this passive change... @hedna123b14_ESO I'll let you talk about this
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Max Magicka = 45kish +
    Max stamina = 35k ish

I don't know where you have gotten this information from...
    Max stamina and max magicka increase overall damage from every source, not a specific type of damage

And I don't think you are understanding the bases of what I am asking for with this passive change... @hedna123b14_ESO I'll let you talk about this

You are incorrect. Physical damage scales off max stamina. Magic damage scales off max magicka. If I have 50k max Magicka my biting jabs will hit like a noodle, if I have 35k max stamina they will hit harder.

It's broken down quite nicely here. http://esoacademy.com/damage-in-eso/

Options
  • Manpoints
    Manpoints
    ✭✭✭✭
    Function wrote: »
    YES! Please add a magic damage passive, maybe instead of the useless 1% AP bonus Bretons are getting?

USELESS? USELESS?

1% AP, that means out of every 1 million AP you get a bonus 10,000. To put that in perspective, its a free undaunted piece at the vendor every 20,000,000AP. Which since this game is mostly for people who come and play a couple of weeks after each DLC means that in just 7 short years, you could get some infused Kena - FOR NOTHING. Thank you ZOS.
    GM of Potato Syndicate, (Gone' Casual) ---- I'MZ A GOD!
    GM of Mi Amor Libre Spanish ERP ---- Shadilay
    Manpoints - Templar // Womanpoints - DK // Abopoints - NB // Manepoints - NB // Sexypoints - Sorc // Hermann Purring - DK // Browniepoints - Templar // Tigger SMB - Templar // Affirmative Actionpoints - DK // Sha Bipoints - Sorc // Hughe Mungus - DK // Rachel Dolezol - Warden??
    Options
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nifty2g just report this guy for derailing the thread to get it removed. Posting misinformation, and bears 0 relevance on racial passive balancing.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
    Options
  • SwaminoNowlino
    SwaminoNowlino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nifty2g just report this guy for derailing the thread to get it removed. Posting misinformation, and bears 0 relevance on racial passive balancing.

All those sweet Magicka sorc wrecking blows :D

http://esoacademy.com/damage-in-eso/

Options