The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Azergas

• Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't expect people to play sub-optimal builds and use sub-optimal strategies in a competitive environment.

I don't know why you keep asking. I don't know why you keep complaining. I don't know why you keep saying WTF is wrong with these people.

I mean I think it's fairly obvious WTF is wrong with them...but yeah it all falls on deaf ears.

TBH, just switch campaigns and let the zergs zerg around and ruin performance. Sure they might gloat and like to stroke their e-peens about it, but we all know they won by degrading the PvP environment so much it became unplayable, not because of superior skill or tactics.

There are really good fights to be had on Haderus and Trueflame, people should look to split up between those campaigns if your in Azuras and unhappy.
    Edited by Takllin on November 2, 2015 3:06PM
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chuck ran with two groups this past weekend. Group one had 12 people and group two had 14 people. Yet we get called a zerg ball...we can't control where the pugs go or if they follow us like mindless lemmings. We consistently wiped groups twice our numbers.

I like 1vX as much as the next guy but some of the best fun was this weekend in the drawn out, group on group Keep fights.

By the way, when I started playing this game again in 1.6 I rolled with EG because I didn't know any better. I can vouche B- rolled with like 150+ people

Added note- My computer is 2 years old (granted it was kind of top end 2 yrs ago), and ever since I increased my LUA memory and the hardware upgrades at ZOS...I have noticed a substantial performance increase in Cyrodiil for me anyway.
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additionally- Wasn't Sypher streaming his AD Emp push last night on Azura's? You are complaining about Blue zergs but completely neglecting the Yellow swarm that Sypher had following him?

It's hard enough to counter one zerg when your population overall is lacking, but AS is consistently a compilation of Team Orange efforts against Blue. Blue needs large numbers to deal with that BS every cycle.
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Morbash on January 18, 2016 3:37PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »
    Additionally- Wasn't Sypher streaming his AD Emp push last night on Azura's? You are complaining about Blue zergs but completely neglecting the Yellow swarm that Sypher had following him?

It's hard enough to counter one zerg when your population overall is lacking, but AS is consistently a compilation of Team Orange efforts against Blue. Blue needs large numbers to deal with that BS every cycle.

EP almost never pushes DC past bleakers. Neither faction likes DC because you run with such large numbers. If you pushed both sides instead of all moving in one direction there would be more fun fights and not as much double teaming.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I leave this

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/226678/ball-groups-and-ineffective-siege-how-to-fix-them#latest

This is the only way your ever going to fix this nonsense.

In PVE you get punished for standing in stupid (red circles) by it killing you.

In PVP there is no penalty for standing in stupid as the damge from the red circles(siege) won't kill you.

I can tank siege fire in 6 Light Armor and a staff, thats just stupid and its why PVP is the zerg fest it is.

Go ahead and run to other campaigns, when the zergs run out of people to steam roll in Azura or wherever else they will just follow you. its not like AP is hard to come by.

Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

•  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DeusAres wrote: »
    I only have one thing to say to all of the people in the huge groups on Azuras. WTF is wrong with you people?

Yeah! How dare we play the game the way it was intended!

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
    Featuring three-sided Player vs. Player (PvP) gameplay, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Seize, hold, and control the resources of massive strongholds. Utilize massive siege weapons to crumble fortress walls and smash through fortified gates. Conquer the Imperial City, and your alliance's top player could even be crowned Emperor!

No, it's "How dare they advertise a game that CANNOT be played the way they intended!"

ding ding ding
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manoekin wrote: »

EP almost never pushes DC past bleakers. Neither faction likes DC because you run with such large numbers. If you pushed both sides instead of all moving in one direction there would be more fun fights and not as much double teaming.

EP originally started the zerging in AZ, AD was 2nd to start zerging when they bombed Azuras with 3 guilds + WRX group a few campaigns ago, what did you honestly expect was going to happen? EP pushes past bleakers all the time...I'm not even sure why that was said?

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chuck ran with two groups this past weekend. Group one had 12 people and group two had 14 people. Yet we get called a zerg ball...we can't control where the pugs go or if they follow us like mindless lemmings. We consistently wiped groups twice our numbers.

This is your problem.
    It's hard enough to counter one zerg when your population overall is lacking

Also, are you serious?
    Edited by Jules on November 2, 2015 3:55PM
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jules wrote: »

I like 1vX as much as the next guy but some of the best fun was this weekend in the drawn out, group on group Keep fights.

By the way, when I started playing this game again in 1.6 I rolled with EG because I didn't know any better. I can vouche B- rolled with like 150+ people

Added note- My computer is 2 years old (granted it was kind of top end 2 yrs ago), and ever since I increased my LUA memory and the hardware upgrades at ZOS...I have noticed a substantial performance increase in Cyrodiil for me anyway.

This is your problem.

What about the part where they wiped groups twice their numbers? Does that not imply a bigger problem?

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is your problem.

What about the part where they wiped groups twice their numbers? Does that not imply a bigger problem?

It may. If I believed it.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is your problem.

Then I suppose them running two groups may be a problem, but not a definite one.

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭

This is your problem.

Also, are you serious?

Yeah, two groups with a total of 26 players (2 above the in-game grouping cap) is somehow the problem. Come off it already. The bias and faction jabbing isn't furthering the discussion.

Here ya go...

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/227976/video-chuck-norris-eso-pvp-121-vs-18#latest
    Edited by Morbash on November 2, 2015 4:24PM
    "War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to roll and Red alt and follow the potato train run Bleakers to Aleswell sometimes. Not quite as spectacular as the never-ending train-wrecks from Sejanus to Alessia front door, but almost as constant.

Also, we don't like you bananas and never did despite all the recent smurf Zerging :wink:
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd just like to add this without injecting myself into all the back and forth going on.

There is nothing wrong with people who like large group PvP.

The problem is the *entire* player base has been pushed into a very singular style of play....the ball group and the primary reason for this is AoE caps. I don't blame players for running in ball groups, it is easily the most effective tactic in the game to achieve victory in any scenario imaginable. On the flip side this has destroyed PvP in Cyrodiil in many ways.

First, all of the players such as myself who *used* to love the old school style of large AvA combat are forced to play in that singular style of play that we don't enjoy or we now have to try to find small man combat where we can still be a loosely organized member of a team fighting toward a common goal. It wasn't always like that.

Second, it has made small or solo combat, which used to be widespread across cyrodiil to become extremely rare or uncommon. The players who normally would be playing in small groups and solo have been run over by ball groups so often that they have given up and joined ball groups themselves in order to be successful.

The final point is this....because PvP now exists almost exclusively in Ball groups in Cyrodiil, the performance of Cyrodiil is at an all time low. PvP by definition can no longer be spread out...it concentrates into the tightest areas possible which destroys performance. Just think about how many computations must be made when a tightly massed group of say 30 people cast a single healing spring each. 10s of thousands of computations for a single ability by each player.

Compare that to what you might find if those same 30 people cast a single target ability against a player, or performed a defensive ability like a dodge roll or recasting a shield. Very minimal impact on server performance. The true root cause to the majority of issues we experience in Cyrodiil is the popularity of large ball groups. The only way we're going to force these groups to spread out is by taking away their primary reason for clumping together....AoE caps.

I don't really see any other possible solution to this problem.
    Edited by Ezareth on November 2, 2015 4:08PM
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    I'd just like to add this without injecting myself into all the back and forth going on.

The problem is the *entire* player base has been pushed into a very singular style of play....the ball group and the primary reason for this is AoE caps. I don't blame players for running in ball groups, it is easily the most effective tactic in the game to achieve victory in any scenario imaginable. On the flip side this has destroyed PvP in Cyrodiil in many ways.

First, all of the players such as myself who *used* to love the old school style of large AvA combat are forced to player in that singular style of play that we don't enjoy or we now have to try to find small man combat where we can still be a loosely organized member of a team fighting toward a common goal. It wasn't always like that.

Second, it has made small or solo combat, which used to be widespread across cyrodiil to become extremely rare or uncommon. The players who normally would be playing in small groups and solo have been run over by ball groups so often that they have given up and joined ball groups themselves in order to be successful.

The final point is this....because PvP now exists almost exclusively in Ball groups in Cyrodiil, the performance of Cyrodiil is at an all time high. PvP by definition can no longer be spread out...it concentrates into the tightest areas possible which destroys performance. Just think about how many computations must be made when a tightly massed group of say 30 people cast a single healing spring each. 10s of thousands of computations for a single ability by each player.

Compare that to what you might find if those same 30 people cast a single target ability against a player, or performance a defensive ability like a dodge roll or recasting a shield. Very minimal impact on server performance. The true root cause to the majority of issues we experience in Cyrodiil is the popularity of large ball groups. The only way we're going to force these groups to spread out is by taking away their primary reason for clumping together....AoE caps.

Outside of ZOS finding a magic performance fix I'd have to agree with you. Another thought I had was multiple extremely low population locked campaigns, but that poses inherent issues too :/

676 CP
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

First, all of the players such as myself who *used* to love the old school style of large AvA combat are forced to play in that singular style of play that we don't enjoy or we now have to try to find small man combat where we can still be a loosely organized member of a team fighting toward a common goal. It wasn't always like that.

The final point is this....because PvP now exists almost exclusively in Ball groups in Cyrodiil, the performance of Cyrodiil is at an all time low. PvP by definition can no longer be spread out...it concentrates into the tightest areas possible which destroys performance. Just think about how many computations must be made when a tightly massed group of say 30 people cast a single healing spring each. 10s of thousands of computations for a single ability by each player.

Compare that to what you might find if those same 30 people cast a single target ability against a player, or performed a defensive ability like a dodge roll or recasting a shield. Very minimal impact on server performance. The true root cause to the majority of issues we experience in Cyrodiil is the popularity of large ball groups. The only way we're going to force these groups to spread out is by taking away their primary reason for clumping together....AoE caps.

Well said, and like I said in another post, also consider reducing population caps again and diminishing maximum amount of players in a group to 16.
    Edited by frozywozy on November 2, 2015 5:07PM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel wrote: »
    Telel has been an amateur student of history but they can't seem to recall when catgirl werewolves fought fireball shooting elves over a keep surrounded by glowing crystals...and with walls that could be repaired in 20 seconds by just throwing bricks at it.

But perhaps those who are better than khajiit can show this one the appropriate resource for such 'facts'?

Uh, who's using bricks? We use the bodies of our dead enemys...

https://youtu.be/qdDdHMwhU2s
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then I suppose them running two groups may be a problem, but not a definite one.

Yeah I don't know understand what he was talking about either. Two smaller groups is easier to manage, and the AP gains seem to be better overall for all players. The two groups weren't even at the same place at the same time.
    Edited by Makkir on November 2, 2015 6:16PM
  • GRxKnight
    GRxKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is your problem.

Also, are you serious?

Yeah, two groups with a total of 26 players (2 above the in-game grouping cap) is somehow the problem. Come off it already. The bias and faction jabbing isn't furthering the discussion.

Here ya go...

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/227976/video-chuck-norris-eso-pvp-121-vs-18#latest

The problem isn't with the two group sizes...it's with the extras that amass around the 26 or so of you that you always fail to recognize in any of the fights you have. I'd like to think you guys, if you're competent PvP'ers, would be able to coordinate a two-pronged attack on the map at different location instead of balling into one area, otherwise what's the point of having 2 groups of that size

EDIT: the title of that video should read '121-vs-18 and a lot of pugs on our end cause my name is Daniel and I use them as meat shields'...seriously though if you guys want an 18v18 or 24v24 open field with no keep guards or pugs just let me know...i'm sure all of us are more than willing to put you in your place
    Edited by GRxKnight on November 2, 2015 8:50PM
    Member of Victorem, RÁGE ; Decibel Alumni (RIP)

Kalista Schefer: VR16 AD Sorcerer; Alliance Rank 22

Noxus-Katarina: VR16 AD NB; Alliance Rank 30

Grxknight: VR16 AD DK; Alliance Rank 16

Lorelie Aedel: VR16 AD Templar; Alliance Rank 8
  • ShadoPanauin
    ShadoPanauin
    ✭✭✭
    Zergs aren't the problem. Lag is.

Any good small group could absolutely melt a zerg if not for lag.
    R.I.P. Million Reasons to Bomb, he triggered ZOS

Characters:
    Million Reasons to Rename - AD Magicka Nightblade
    Lúcio C - AD Stamina Sorcerer
    slaughterfishlivesmatter - AD Stamina Nightblade
    Million Reasons to Rake - DC Stamina Sorcerer
    Shadopandauin - EP Magicka DK
    Million Reasons to Lag - EP Magicka Sorcerer
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you want to stop organized groups from balling up, aoe caps are a big component, but it's not enough on it's own. One thing I don't think I've seen anyone stress is PBAOE vs ranged AOE. Currently I cannot think of any ranged AOE that a spread out group could drop that would be competitive dps-wise compared to the normal steel tornado / impulse spam rotations of a cheesewheel group. As long as PBAOE is the strongest form of AOE, even without AOE caps, the counter to cheesewheel PBAOE spam group is to have another group go in and cheesewheel pbaoe spam them. Then it's just a game of which group pulls off it's bomb better.

As I see it, it's basically a systemic problem of how AOEs are designed in this game. Let's take a look at different categories of AOE:

PBAOE - Only requires 1 button press, reliable known area, easy to blindly spam no matter how bad server/fps lag may get.

Ranged AOE (non target circle) - Only requires 1 button press, reliable known area, also easy to spam but pretty much no example of this type of AOE in ESO is superior to PBAOE. Encase is powerful, but that only fills the CC role and Paper Wall of Elements is one of the worst skills in the game.

Ranged AOE (target circle) - Requires initial button press, moving target circle and then second button press or button release. Horribly clunky cast mechanic and becomes pretty much unusable/aimable in bad lag. Once again, pretty much no AOE of this type in ESO offers better damage than PBAOE spam.

Ranged single target w/ AOE component - Easy to cast, but hard to coordinate damage on the center of a group depending on the skill. Skills like Inevitable Det and Meteor are powerful, but because of the delay between cast & dmg, targets can move out of the group and trivialize your dmg dealt. Outside of those 2 skills, there are many single target skills w/ weak AOE components, such as Mages Fury execute, Velocious Curse, 2 handed heavy atks, ect ect. Basically all pathetically useless at contributing to actual AOE dps.

Next, let's get to the big problem I see w/ the way these different types of AOE are implemented in ESO. PBAOE simply far outpaces other types of AOE in dmg. On top of that, ranged non target circle AOE is basically limited exclusively to effects that originate from the caster and extend X meters forward, this means the caster has to be practically in melee range of a group to use this type of AOE. Things like Wall of Ele, Path of Darkness, ect just don't reward enough dmg or other effects to be at all worth this risk. Same thing goes w/ ranged target circle AOE, Lightning Splash is indeed a useless splash, Templar Shards are decent, but still nothing compared to PBAOE options. And ranged single target w/ AOE components? The only decent non ult skill like this is Inevitable Det - and it has a clunky cast time + long time to explosion. This type of ability is something that a skill like chain lightning would fit into and (given reasonable dmg/cc effects) provide a useful tool to counter cheesewheels. So far, all I've seen ZOS do to try and address this is make siege immensely powerful, but that's just such a boring style of play.

And now I have to interject with another problem: the ranged AOE options aren't designed around direct dmg, but mostly dots. Things like Wall of Ele, Lightning Splash, ect - those don't mean anything because people just walk out of it. Am I saying make ranged AOE as strong as Steel Tornado? Well currently I feel Steel Tornado is too strong, but to the essence of the question, yes, if that's what it takes - though I don't think ranged AOE would actually need to be made that strong. I would prefer weaker siege dmg + stronger ranged AOE options than what we have now, basically.

Conceptually I'm sure all these AOE design choices were made because of PvE considerations. Devs don't want people range AOEing large pulls of mobs w/o risk (becuase the mobs are generally only dangerous in melee range). The dev logic was obviously something like "range AOE is low risk, PBAOE is high risk, lets scale reward (dmg output) accordingly." What this failed to take into account was PvP and how blobbing up into a cheesewheel mitigates so much risk in this game.

Lastly, let's get to the other big big BIG problem in this game that favors cheesewheel over spread out: Retreating Maneuvers. At the very core, the idea is that a cheesewheel should be less maneuverable than a group that's more spread out, Retreating Maneuvers is completely counter to that - not because of the speed boost, but because of the root/snare immunity. A cheesewheel already has the advantage of more unified movement, the immunity to snares/roots just gives them the initiative.
    Edited by Teargrants on November 2, 2015 10:29PM
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »

If you want to stop organized groups from balling up, aoe caps are a big component, but it's not enough on it's own. One thing I don't think I've seen anyone stress is PBAOE vs ranged AOE. Currently I cannot think of any ranged AOE that a spread out group could drop that would be competitive dps-wise compared to the normal steel tornado / impulse spam rotations of a cheesewheel group. As long as PBAOE is the strongest form of AOE, even without AOE caps, the counter to cheesewheel PBAOE spam group is to have another group go in and cheesewheel pbaoe spam them. Then it's just a game of which group pulls off it's bomb better.

As I see it, it's basically a systemic problem of how AOEs are designed in this game. Let's take a look at different categories of AOE:

PBAOE - Only requires 1 button press, reliable known area, easy to blindly spam no matter how bad server/fps lag may get.

Ranged AOE (non target circle) - Only requires 1 button press, reliable known area, also easy to spam but pretty much no example of this type of AOE in ESO is superior to PBAOE. Encase is powerful, but that only fills the CC role and Paper Wall of Elements is one of the worst skills in the game.

Ranged AOE (target circle) - Requires initial button press, moving target circle and then second button press or button release. Horribly clunky cast mechanic and becomes pretty much unusable/aimable in bad lag. Once again, pretty much no AOE of this type in ESO offers better damage than PBAOE spam.

Ranged single target w/ AOE component - Easy to cast, but hard to coordinate damage on the center of a group depending on the skill. Skills like Inevitable Det and Meteor are powerful, but because of the delay between cast & dmg, targets can move out of the group and trivialize your dmg dealt. Outside of those 2 skills, there are many single target skills w/ weak AOE components, such as Mages Fury execute, Velocious Curse, 2 handed heavy atks, ect ect. Basically all pathetically useless at contributing to actual AOE dps.

Next, let's get to the big problem I see w/ the way these different types of AOE are implemented in ESO. PBAOE simply far outpaces other types of AOE in dmg. On top of that, ranged non target circle AOE is basically limited exclusively to effects that originate from the caster and extend X meters forward, this means the caster has to be practically in melee range of a group to use this type of AOE. Things like Wall of Ele, Path of Darkness, ect just don't reward enough dmg or other effects to be at all worth this risk. Same thing goes w/ ranged target circle AOE, Lightning Splash is indeed a useless splash, Templar Shards are decent, but still nothing compared to PBAOE options. And ranged single target w/ AOE components? The only decent non ult skill like this is Inevitable Det - and it has a clunky cast time + long time to explosion. This type of ability is something that a skill like chain lightning would fit into and (given reasonable dmg/cc effects) provide a useful tool to counter cheesewheels. So far, all I've seen ZOS do to try and address this is make siege immensely powerful, but that's just such a boring style of play.

And now I have to interject with another problem: the ranged AOE options aren't designed around direct dmg, but mostly dots. Things like Wall of Ele, Lightning Splash, ect - those don't mean anything because people just walk out of it. Am I saying make ranged AOE as strong as Steel Tornado? Well currently I feel Steel Tornado is too strong, but to the essence of the question, yes, if that's what it takes - though I don't think ranged AOE would actually need to be made that strong. I would prefer weaker siege dmg + stronger ranged AOE options than what we have now, basically.

Conceptually I'm sure all these AOE design choices were made because of PvE considerations. Devs don't want people range AOEing large pulls of mobs w/o risk (becuase the mobs are generally only dangerous in melee range). The dev logic was obviously something like "range AOE is low risk, PBAOE is high risk, lets scale reward (dmg output) accordingly." What this failed to take into account was PvP and how blobbing up into a cheesewheel mitigates so much risk in this game.

Lastly, let's get to the other big big BIG problem in this game that favors cheesewheel over spread out: Retreating Maneuvers. At the very core, the idea is that a cheesewheel should be less maneuverable than a group that's more spread out, Retreating Maneuvers is completely counter to that - not because of the speed boost, but because of the root/snare immunity. A cheesewheel already has the advantage of more unified movement, the immunity to snares/roots just gives them the initiative.

In reference to rapids, why is it this skill offers snare immunity but the morph of evade requires medium armor and only offers a marginal amount of seconds for each number of medium armor equipped?

Should be a similar mechanic.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agreed except the part about weaker siege damage ;)
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I believe balance is best achieved in small incremental changes. The last thing I'd want is to invalidate large group play by making some form of AoE that decimates groups of people. I remember the days of wiping insane zergs fondly. In those days people were afraid to stay balled up because that is what brought the dreaded stealth bomb on your group before they could react. The goal shouldn't be to invalidate large group play as much as not make it the *only* viable method of play.

I think just the fact that one player spamming steel tornado in the middle of a zerg of say 50 people is doing an *insane* amount of damage overall. In fact that one player if those 50 players didn't react in 5 seconds would wipe that entire group of 50 people. Just getting back to that point alone would easily cause people to not run around clumped up so much because by nature of being clumped they expose themselves to AoE.

Right now however, no one bothers trying to AoE balls unless they have a similar sized group because the math just doesn't support a chance of success.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly we have more lag and bar lock-ups fighting your team than TKO. So, obv, you're part of the problemo too
    GRxKnight wrote: »

This is your problem.

Also, are you serious?

Here ya go...

The problem isn't with the two group sizes...it's with the extras that amass around the 26 or so of you that you always fail to recognize in any of the fights you have. I'd like to think you guys, if you're competent PvP'ers, would be able to coordinate a two-pronged attack on the map at different location instead of balling into one area, otherwise what's the point of having 2 groups of that size

EDIT: the title of that video should read '121-vs-18 and a lot of pugs on our end cause my name is Daniel and I use them as meat shields'...seriously though if you guys want an 18v18 or 24v24 open field with no keep guards or pugs just let me know...i'm sure all of us are more than willing to put you in your place

Honestly we have more bar lockups and lag fighting your team than TKO most nights... I know you guys run more than one full group too. You'll have a full + waiting list.... Do you think your waiting list just, sits there.....? Nope, they follow you around. And I remember another night specifically I asked a Rage (first night you guys came to Azura) how many you had -- 35 was their answer. That doesn't even count TKO....

I match your salt with SPICY PEPPPER good sir.

• CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭

This is your problem.

You could watch the video. Or -- We have another one from last night I'll get up soon that was in BRK. 30min seige -- 81 kills. My group of 16.
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NPK Daniel wrote: »
    Honestly we have more lag and bar lock-ups fighting your team than TKO. So, obv, you're part of the problemo too

This is your problem.

Also, are you serious?

Here ya go...

Honestly we have more bar lockups and lag fighting your team than TKO most nights... I know you guys run more than one full group too. You'll have a full + waiting list.... Do you think your waiting list just, sits there.....? Nope, they follow you around. And I remember another night specifically I asked a Rage (first night you guys came to Azura) how many you had -- 35 was their answer. That doesn't even count TKO....

Lol. Now you're just being stupid. We barely can get 24 on some raid nights. There is no waiting list. Whoever you talked to either wasn't in rage or was trolling you. Please include our 12man group wiping you all in your video of last night.
  • CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    NPK Daniel wrote: »

This is your problem.

Also, are you serious?

Here ya go...

Lol. Now you're just being stupid. We barely can get 24 on some raid nights. There is no waiting list. Whoever you talked to either wasn't in rage or was trolling you. Please include our 12man group wiping you all in your video of last night.

....When you finally started wiping us consistently we had like 10 in group..... Last night was a good night for us, we def beat you waaaaay more than you beat us.
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerry
    Jerry
    Gerry
    G v G
    G v G
    G v G
    G v G
    'Chaos