Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shields are getting changed to be critted

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    @RinaldoGandolphi I have to disagree, magicka regen builds dont do enough damage to be competative in my experience.

When I tried a build with 2k magicka regen, 1.9k spell dmg and 34k max magicka on my sorc, my spells were hitting like wet noodles. My cfrags were hitting for 6-8k which didnt scare or kill anyone. Every magicka build I fought had harness magicka and healing ward so unless they made huge mistages I couldnt kill them. Most stam builds have decent spell resist, can dodge/block/reflect my spells so they were hard to kill as well. Some fights just ended with me streaking away because i couldnt kill him and he couldnt kill me. With low damage you only put a little pressure on your enemy, this makes it easier for them to sustain. With high damage they need to spam abilities to stay alive, putting their sustain to the test.

Regen builds might be good for staying alive or group play but thats about it. For small scale pvp high damage builds are superior because sustain isnt such a big issue, at least in current live pvp.

With the damage reduction on pts, regen builds will do even less damage and can only win by out-sustaining their enemy. I have not tested this myself on pts but I can imagine this makes fights really boring. High damage builds will have a harder time bursting down their enemy, this will put more strain on their sustain which is their weakness.

Im curious to see what balance between regen and damage works for magicka and stamina builds in update 7. I think its good there's more emphasis on sustain as long as it doesnt make fights boring.

I have to disagree. I dislike regen builds myself, I prefer shorter fights.
    But a regen build wins in the end if played right. I know a very famous Sorcerer who only has 1400 spell damage,32k Magicka and puts everything into stamina and Magicka regen and he wins.

Because he can outsustain everyone. As long as you can cast forever and as long as you can break each CC, there's nothing you have to fear. Regen builds are over the top in my opinion. But it's okay for me, because they sacrifise something you know ? Let players play the way the want, stop forcing your weird opinion and judgement on them (and I'm not talking to you Septimus <3 you know i love you ). I could also add another opinion, but I will keep that one until the time has come and I'm sure it will during the pts time.

Haha true, but I think most players wont stick around long enough for such a regen build to profit. I might be overestimating the average eso player though. With the reduced damage in update 7 regen builds do even less damage so even when you cant CC break they dont do enough damage to burst you down. Hopefully this will make pure regen builds less viable because they lack damage.

Overall I would say effectively more health = longer fights so regen will be more important, Im curious to see how this turns out, fingers crossed.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RinaldoGandolphi I have to disagree, magicka regen builds dont do enough damage to be competative in my experience.

When I tried a build with 2k magicka regen, 1.9k spell dmg and 34k max magicka on my sorc, my spells were hitting like wet noodles. My cfrags were hitting for 6-8k which didnt scare or kill anyone. Every magicka build I fought had harness magicka and healing ward so unless they made huge mistages I couldnt kill them. Most stam builds have decent spell resist, can dodge/block/reflect my spells so they were hard to kill as well. Some fights just ended with me streaking away because i couldnt kill him and he couldnt kill me. With low damage you only put a little pressure on your enemy, this makes it easier for them to sustain. With high damage they need to spam abilities to stay alive, putting their sustain to the test.

Regen builds might be good for staying alive or group play but thats about it. For small scale pvp high damage builds are superior because sustain isnt such a big issue, at least in current live pvp.

With the damage reduction on pts, regen builds will do even less damage and can only win by out-sustaining their enemy. I have not tested this myself on pts but I can imagine this makes fights really boring. High damage builds will have a harder time bursting down their enemy, this will put more strain on their sustain which is their weakness.

Im curious to see what balance between regen and damage works for magicka and stamina builds in update 7. I think its good there's more emphasis on sustain as long as it doesnt make fights boring.

But a regen build wins in the end if played right. I know a very famous Sorcerer who only has 1400 spell damage,32k Magicka and puts everything into stamina and Magicka regen and he wins.

Because he can outsustain everyone. As long as you can cast forever and as long as you can break each CC, there's nothing you have to fear. Regen builds are over the top in my opinion. But it's okay for me, because they sacrifise something you know ? Let players play the way the want, stop forcing your weird opinion and judgement on them (and I'm not talking to you Septimus <3 you know i love you ). I could also add another opinion, but I will keep that one until the time has come and I'm sure it will during the pts time.

Haha true, but I think most players wont stick around long enough for such a regen build to profit. I might be overestimating the average eso player though. With the reduced damage in update 7 regen builds do even less damage so even when you cant CC break they dont do enough damage to burst you down. Hopefully this will make pure regen builds less viable because they lack damage.

Overall I would say effectively more health = longer fights so regen will be more important, Im curious to see how this turns out, fingers crossed.

I feel like 1.7 is very similar to 1.5. And in 1.5, sustain and ressource management was more important.
    Hope this turns out to be wrong
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭

I feel like 1.7 is very similar to 1.5. And in 1.5, sustain and ressource management was more important.
    Hope this turns out to be wrong

I hope it will be similar because that actually requires skill. 1shoting ppl from stealth on the other hand ... not so much
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the shield mechanic in 1.7 in the first place is its the only defensive mechanic without a resource penalty.

Dodge and Block both got one...Shields did not
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »
    The problem with the shield mechanic in 1.7 in the first place is its the only defensive mechanic without a resource penalty.

Because Dodges and Block make you immune to most CC or totally negate most damage entirely.
    While shields take full damage and don't make immune to CC.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because Dodges and Block make you immune to most CC or totally negate most damage entirely.

Dodge doesn't make you immune to most CC, neither does Block... Multiple CC's hit through both of them. same with damage.

In a game of resources, Shields wins out.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodge doesn't make you immune to most CC, neither does Block... Multiple CC's hit through both of them. same with damage.

It basically does, as you totally evade most incoming damage. Block is only breakeable by fear and petrify or rune cage. I know, fear is very annyoing for blocking :neutral:

If you ward yourself, you get hit by all CCs and all damage directed at you. If the damage is high enough, you have to recast over and over again. I know you've never played a Sorcerer ;) but I myself go OOM very fast if I have to recast over and over again. Especially now, where they fixed Harness Magicka to not restore Magicka on ALL attacks anymore.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It basically does, as you totally evade most incoming damage. Block is only breakeable by fear and petrify or rune cage. I know, fear is very annyoing for blocking :neutral:

If you ward yourself, you get hit by all CCs and all damage directed at you. If the damage is high enough, you have to recast over and over again. I know you've never played a Sorcerer ;) but I myself go OOM very fast if I have to recast over and over again. Especially now, where they fixed Harness Magicka to not restore Magicka on ALL attacks anymore.

By most you mean some single target damage, countless aoes and things like curse go through dodge, same with cc
    Block is same way, multiple cc go through it, you take all damage even though it's reduced. Also there is countless videos showing sorcs maintaining max magicka while spamming abilities and shuelds against multiple targets. If you are going oom that's your build. It's damn near virtually impossible to run out of magicka as a sorc
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ward yourself, you get hit by all CCs and all damage directed at you.

There is one very important factor that should not be overlooked, namely that unlike all other forms of defense, shields continue to protect you even if you get CC-ed.

Blocking DK, rolling NB, healing templar - any of those, if i manage to CC while they are at 10% HP, they are dead.
    But CC a 10% HP sorc who has healing ward and hardened ward on him, and you will never be able to put a dent in his remaining HP before he has chance to recover and bolt(or just recast those shields again).
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO
    Guys anyone whos played a sorcerer would understand how drastic this Nerf is. Everyone who doesn't dedicate their time playing with sorcerer doesn't understand how big of an impact this is.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys anyone whos played a sorcerer would understand how drastic this Nerf is. Everyone who doesn't dedicate their time playing with sorcerer doesn't understand how big of an impact this is.

Don't worry, it's not set in stone, still might not happen. There have to be a couple of zos devs that play sorc. The way I see it sorcs shields make them strong against magicka builds but not against stamina builds. Imo they should buff the strength of individual shields but not allow us to stack them, therefore making us choose between Hardened Ward and Harness Magicka. Right now on live a 12k Hardened Ward is barely enough to fight a 2h weapon-damage-stacker, but a 12k Hardened Ward plus a 15k Dampen Magicka is overkill for fighting the magicka builds.

PC | EU
  • Xeniph
    Xeniph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

There is one very important factor that should not be overlooked, namely that unlike all other forms of defense, shields continue to protect you even if you get CC-ed.

Blocking DK, rolling NB, healing templar - any of those, if i manage to CC while they are at 10% HP, they are dead.
    But CC a 10% HP sorc who has healing ward and hardened ward on him, and you will never be able to put a dent in his remaining HP before he has chance to recover and bolt(or just recast those shields again).

Yup. On top of that, shields are immune/prevent-

All Crits
    A lot of spell effects
    Most 5 piece offensive set procs
    Bleeds/poison

It's just too much imo.
    Here since Beta.

Characters: All of them, both Stamina and Magicka.
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO

Don't worry, it's not set in stone, still might not happen. There have to be a couple of zos devs that play sorc. The way I see it sorcs shields make them strong against magicka builds but not against stamina builds. Imo they should buff the strength of individual shields but not allow us to stack them, therefore making us choose between Hardened Ward and Harness Magicka. Right now on live a 12k Hardened Ward is barely enough to fight a 2h weapon-damage-stacker, but a 12k Hardened Ward plus a 15k Dampen Magicka is overkill for fighting the magicka builds.

I agree with the shields being OP but instead of removing the stack why not just make it so if you have more than two shields up, decrease protection of each shield by x%. But with hardened ward increase the amount of damage it can absorb.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields are fine on pts as they are now, just remove shieldstacking in addition and balance will be fine. Some class shields however needs some love, like dk and temp.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Teiji
    Teiji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields are immune to crits and damage-over-time effects.

If they didn't have damage-over-time and bleed immunity, they might not even be so much a problem.

Also, Critical Rush says it always crits, damage shields disagree.

If damage shields are going to keep crit and DOT immunity, they should increase in cost by 25% or something for every reapplication within four seconds. You could easily just rotate healing ward and empowered ward etc in this instance.

This game is supposed to be about resource management, yet they're only applying this to blocking and dodge rolling? A game with no cooldowns the drawbacks for repeated blocking and dodge rolling make sense, there should be something to all damage shields, no?
    "Serving Boethiah is Freedom, embracing heroism is Liberty, existing solely for noxiphilic sanguivoria is truth." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

European megaserver Fallout 4

Loyalist of Boethiah, heroism enthusiast, exposer of secrets, bless'ed of noxiphilic sanguivoria.

Nerf one grind, two more take its place; hail Gryndra!

I am a dank memer and satire enthusiast
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO
    Then this four second rule should be applied to healing, nightblides invisible, dks reflect. This four second rule shouldn't be applied to one class when no other class has it. Sorcerers have it enough with bolt escape having cast within four seconds stacks the 50%cost. Not fair at all.
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO
    If they choose to pick on sorcerers by bringing up new ways to nerf the abilities in future updatwes then im quiting for good. I put my time and money into this game for all my effort on setting up my sorcerer to have it the only one without defence in one update? Yeah I'm not paying monthly anymore. Console users won't be happy as well. Not everyone is used to changes this drastic to their classes. Anyway most of us will be back to destiny. Bungie is no gem at balancing a game but they don't have favourtisn to one class like ZoS does. Nightblades are their favourite and they are nerfing everything that harms this one class.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then this four second rule should be applied to healing, nightblides invisible, dks reflect. This four second rule shouldn't be applied to one class when no other class has it. Sorcerers have it enough with bolt escape having cast within four seconds stacks the 50%cost. Not fair at all.

While I'm not happy about the nerf to BE, your's is the wrong attitude, with all due respect. Balance isn't about everyone having comparable skills, it's about skills/mechanics having viable counters. BE has had a 4 second cooldown since about June 2014, this isn't the issue. Dodge roll has now been given the same treatment. DKs reflect was nerfed from infinite projectiles to 4 projectiles.

The element of fun in pvp is dependent on people feeling unique and powerful, uniquely powerful. As I saw someone else say in a similar post; people need to feel overpowered, to feel like they just wrecked that guy with skills that they chose and learned how to use. If you can only distinguish between the classes by the colour of their particle effects then things would be so boring.
    PC | EU
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO
    Teiji wrote: »
    Shields are immune to crits and damage-over-time effects.

If they didn't have damage-over-time and bleed immunity, they might not even be so much a problem.

Also, Critical Rush says it always crits, damage shields disagree.

If damage shields are going to keep crit and DOT immunity, they should increase in cost by 25% or something for every reapplication within four seconds. You could easily just rotate healing ward and empowered ward etc in this instance.

This game is supposed to be about resource management, yet they're only applying this to blocking and dodge rolling? A game with no cooldowns the drawbacks for repeated blocking and dodge rolling make sense, there should be something to all damage shields, no?
    Blocking and rolling isn't class specific. Shields are.
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeniph wrote: »
    Sharee wrote: »

Yup. On top of that, shields are immune/prevent-

All Crits
    A lot of spell effects
    Most 5 piece offensive set procs
    Bleeds/poison

It's just too much imo.

so so true...way too much when its strength is based off an offensive stat like say.....magica?
  • coyteriarwb17_ESO

While I'm not happy about the nerf to BE, your's is the wrong attitude, with all due respect. Balance isn't about everyone having comparable skills, it's about skills/mechanics having viable counters. BE has had a 4 second cooldown since about June 2014, this isn't the issue. Dodge roll has now been given the same treatment. DKs reflect was nerfed from infinite projectiles to 4 projectiles.

The element of fun in pvp is dependent on people feeling unique and powerful, uniquely powerful. As I saw someone else say in a similar post; people need to feel overpowered, to feel like they just wrecked that guy with skills that they chose and learned how to use. If you can only distinguish between the classes by the colour of their particle effects then things would be so boring.

Everyones entitled to their opinions so you can think what you want but coming from console its what everyone attitude is like. They are constantly changing things that now my favourite abilities are becoming stamina based? This isn't going to go well on console at all and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a significant drop in ESO population and raise in destiny. They should be encouraging me to buy imperial city but all I am convinced of is that its not worth buying and quit straight away if this is what console gaming is coming to. They want people to stay on console? Stop treating this game like a mmo pc community where many on console know that this is not what Skyrim was. Many of my friends quit because this game didn't follow ES lore at all and is altering everything to cater the mmo crowd. When I buy a game I expect permanent implementations, not a game where everything can be ruined because typical mmo pc players whine. So I'm going to quit, like many others. Tbh? The developers should have stuck to pc because it doesn't belong here with the illogical alterations to classes our money and gaming time went into.
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone said a few pages ago, Hardened Ward isn't really the problem. The real problem shield is Healing Ward.

Every other shield protects from damage but if you are good player, it only delays the inevitable.

Healing Ward on the other hand, can completely reset a fight in short time.

Is Healing Ward really strong for all classes? Yes. It can make a good magicka Nightblade very strong. Same for DKs and Templars too.

The main advantage a Sorcerer gets using Healing Ward is when it is paired with the mobility from Streak. Because other classes (besides Nightblades which have other weaknesses) are limited in mobility.

I can burst down a 15-20k healing ward if I have to, easy if using an execute, but not when the target can flee to line of sight or even escape out of charge range within seconds.

This combination of Healing Ward+Mobility is the real reason why people QQ about Sorcerers.
    V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Master_Kas
      Master_Kas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      As someone said a few pages ago, Hardened Ward isn't really the problem. The real problem shield is Healing Ward.

Every other shield protects from damage but if you are good player, it only delays the inevitable.

Healing Ward on the other hand, can completely reset a fight in short time.

Is Healing Ward really strong for all classes? Yes. It can make a good magicka Nightblade very strong. Same for DKs and Templars too.

The main advantage a Sorcerer gets using Healing Ward is when it is paired with the mobility from Streak. Because other classes (besides Nightblades which have other weaknesses) are limited in mobility.

I can burst down a 15-20k healing ward if I have to, easy if using an execute, but not when the target can flee to line of sight or even escape out of charge range within seconds.

This combination of Healing Ward+Mobility is the real reason why people QQ about Sorcerers.

Lol no. Hardened ward scaling of magicka is the problem.

Dont f*** up healing ward for all other magicka specs out there. Its sorcs hardened ward on top of healing ward which makes their shieldstacking the best of all other classes. If you try to deny this you are biased.
      EU | PC
    2. Derra
      Derra
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem with shields is they are the only thing left as a defense for one of four classes as mobility was nerfed into uselessness.

Nightblades now have a better teleport than sorcs + cloak (arguably still due to bugs) + some passive healing on core magica skills.
      DKs still have reflect + selfheals on all coreskills and are still able to block for extended periods of time due to earthen heart passive.
      Templars have the best heals in the game.

Sorc have passive heals on a skilltree that has no spammable attack, heavily nerfed mobility that gets you killed if used more than 4 times within a 4s timer and shields.
      Shields now have a set that hardcounters them in a way that you have to slot atleast two healing abilities to survive someone spamming lightattacks on you.
      Edited by Derra on August 20, 2015 7:47AM
      <Noricum>
      I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
      Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

3. ItsRejectz
      ItsRejectz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Have you people actually played PTS? Shields are perfect now. If they make them critable on top of how they are now, you might aswel be wrapped in fresh air
      Xbox EU - GT: o69 Woody 69o

VR16 Sorc: Vlad V Impaler
      VR16 Sorc: Yes it's Woody
      VR16 NB: Prince of Wallachia
      VR16 Templar: Sir Lancelot the Brave
      VR16 DK: I'm Better Than You

4. Derra
      Derra
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ItsRejectz wrote: »
      Have you people actually played PTS? Shields are perfect now. If they make them critable on top of how they are now, you might aswel be wrapped in fresh air

Have you played against someone with shieldbreaker? I´d not call that perfect.
      <Noricum>

5. ItsRejectz
      ItsRejectz
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Derra wrote: »

Not going to lie man, I haven't played against anyone with it yet. I'm guessing it's pretty effective?

6. Derra
      Derra
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to lie man, I haven't played against anyone with it yet. I'm guessing it's pretty effective?

It´s op as hell. Makes me think stamina sorc or a magica build that does not use any absorbshield at all.
      <Noricum>

7. BuggeX
      BuggeX
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      there we go, my plans for Magicka epic Criting DK are coming.
      Is GDB able to crit?
      #makemagickadkgreataigan
      #givemeaexecute
      #ineedheal
      #betterhotfixgrindspots
    8. ItsRejectz
      ItsRejectz
      ✭✭✭✭✭

It´s op as hell. Makes me think stamina sorc or a magica build that does not use any absorbshield at all.

***... Oh well, guess I'll be trying stamina sorc. Its like ZOS wants everyone to roll magika NB.