The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Harrassment Already A Larger Problem

• istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    I am still not so sure. The alliance problem was just an example, there are a lot of other potential issues that could arise from it also. I think it would create more problems than it will solve. And it is probably for that reason that it has never been implemented in any MMO (to knowledge) to date.

There might be some in-game mechanism that could be implemented to help with harassment beyond what we already have, but I'm not sure what that is.

I'm interested in the "other" problems it might cause. Given that these problems would be under the control of each individual user (i.e. the visual ban is self controlled, you ban others from YOUR sight), any problems should be easy for each user to fix.
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deyirn wrote: »
    I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I sure won't be able to get myself into acting that anyone but myself. What I do know is that people should be able to do whatever they want and have fun, as long as they aren't harming others around them. So go for roleplaying and have fun.

Sure, so you support the idea of implementing a visual ban that is user configurable?
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    istateres wrote: »
    I am still not so sure. The alliance problem was just an example, there are a lot of other potential issues that could arise from it also. I think it would create more problems than it will solve. And it is probably for that reason that it has never been implemented in any MMO (to knowledge) to date.

There might be some in-game mechanism that could be implemented to help with harassment beyond what we already have, but I'm not sure what that is.

I'm interested in the "other" problems it might cause. Given that these problems would be under the control of each individual user (i.e. the visual ban is self controlled, you ban others from YOUR sight), any problems should be easy for each user to fix.
    Oh there are plenty. For example just off the top of my head:
    Mechanical-wise: If they steal something and you can't see them, and you happen to heal a friend nearby or similar. Your heal will likely still affect them, and you will resultantly be attacked and flagged with a bounty.
    In other combat situations; your healing not targeting a visual intended ally but one that is invisible.
    You receiving healing or buffs from 'no one' as they will be invisible to you, leading to confusion, and vice versa.

Visual-wise:
    Harvesting nodes; disappearing for no apparent reason.
    NPCs seemingly fighting and otherwise interacting with nothing and no one.
    Other Player characters in the alliance war apparently fighting with themselves/no one.
    You thinking your character is standing in their own space, but are in-fact clipping horribly with with another invisible character (mainly an RP aesthetic issue).

And I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of. It's just not the best idea in my opinion, for these reason previously stated and above, but most importantly; it does not make the one causing the harassment responsible/accountable for their own actions. Reporting in my opinion does this best, and is already in-game.

Edited by Rev Rielle on July 14, 2015 11:00AM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [

And I'm sure there are more that I haven't thought of. It's just not the best idea in my opinion, for these reason previously stated and above, but most importantly; it does not make the one causing the harassment responsible/accountable for their own actions. Reporting in my opinion does this best, and is already in-game.

I would agree with this EXCEPT that ZOS clearly does not have the staff to deal with offenders AS they are making your life miserable. I am sick and tired of having game play sessions completely ruined by these people with zero response from GMs even after there is a flurry of over a dozen reports. If ZOS continues to refuse to dedicate adequate staff to dealing with this issue then they NEED to put tools in the hands of players so we can take care of it ourselves.
    Edited by MornaBaine on July 14, 2015 12:25PM
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• King Bozo
    King Bozo
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares about harressment. This is online gaming and you should learn how to block people if they really hurt your feelings. The world is not always nice and you should be mature enough to not take negative comments so serious. Should you end up crying or your feelings get hurt then single player games with no communication may be your best choice.
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh there are plenty. For example just off the top of my head:
    Mechanical-wise: If they steal something and you can't see them, and you happen to heal a friend nearby or similar. Your heal will likely still affect them, and you will resultantly be attacked and flagged with a bounty.
    In other combat situations; your healing not targeting a visual intended ally but one that is invisible.
    You receiving healing or buffs from 'no one' as they will be invisible to you, leading to confusion, and vice versa.

Visual-wise:
    Harvesting nodes; disappearing for no apparent reason.
    NPCs seemingly fighting and otherwise interacting with nothing and no one.
    Other Player characters in the alliance war apparently fighting with themselves/no one.
    You thinking your character is standing in their own space, but are in-fact clipping horribly with with another invisible character (mainly an RP aesthetic issue).

These are excellent potential issues, BUT they are all self-inflicted. They are all issues I would cause to myself by visually blocking someone. AND, they are isues I would be able to fix if I wanted to. I know we live in a nanny state, but our MMOs don't need that. Freedom to the people! Let them have the choice to visually block. Off load the work from ZOS and give the players a useful tool!
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    King Bozo wrote: »
    Who cares about harressment. This is online gaming and you should learn how to block people if they really hurt your feelings. The world is not always nice and you should be mature enough to not take negative comments so serious. Should you end up crying or your feelings get hurt then single player games with no communication may be your best choice.

Everyone should care about harrassment. ESO already provides tools to text block, which is great. Unfortunatly, players can visually harrass too. We'd like tools to assist with visual harrassment. I'm sure you can see why those would be benficial.
  • Deyirn
    Deyirn
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's stupid or not, but I sure won't be able to get myself into acting that anyone but myself. What I do know is that people should be able to do whatever they want and have fun, as long as they aren't harming others around them. So go for roleplaying and have fun.

Sure, so you support the idea of implementing a visual ban that is user configurable?

I didn't read the whole original post, due to my short attention span. I'm assuming it has something to do with other players preventing RPers from doing their thing, so in this case I have to side with RPers, even though I'm not one. I'm just a supporter of a clean and nice community.
    Edited by Deyirn on July 14, 2015 4:00PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't read the whole original post, due to my short attention span. I'm assuming it has something to do with other players preventing RPers from doing their thing, so in this case I have to side with RPers, even though I'm not one. I'm just a supporter of a clean and nice community.

Yeah it was moved from General Discussion to here despite my protests. It's not just an "RPers issue" by a long shot. Were you here when the dye stations were first implemented? There were entire days when no one could use the ones in the main hubs because griefers camped them and continually spammed flashy spells so no one one could actually see what anything looked like. It is easy to forget just how awful, petty and spiteful people can be...and just how MANY people are like that until you actually see something like that in action. I've had people graphically describing how they are "sexually assaulting" (ironically I can't even use the r-word here when it and many worse ones are constantly used in the game itself) my character in spatial on more than one occasion and speaking in ways that would actually get them arrested for harassment and indecency, at the very lest, if they were speaking that way in an actual public place. Thankfully I can and do just place such people on ignore so I don't have to see their filth. But the people who follow you around and visually harass you and any other people with you ... there's not a thing you can do about them except leave the zone and report them and as the level of harassment never changes this "strategy" is obviously not working. The forums here are very strictly moderated for behavior but in the game itself, anything goes. And ZOS shows no interest in doing anything about it.
    Edited by MornaBaine on July 14, 2015 5:30PM

• Slonekb05
    Slonekb05
    ✭✭✭
    I use to RP on everquest, what i liked there was you could actually change the color of your displayed name to purple to indicate you were RP. But to your point, most ppl want to be internet jocks and bash on the quote unquote "nerd" .
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slonekb05 wrote: »
    I use to RP on everquest, what i liked there was you could actually change the color of your displayed name to purple to indicate you were RP. But to your point, most ppl want to be internet jocks and bash on the quote unquote "nerd" .

I know! I loved it there. Also Lord of the Rings Online does it too. It's a wonderfully simple way to flag yourself as an Role-player.
    I've asked for a 'Roleplayer' title to be available, either in the Crown Store, or from a simple quest somewhere in the world (one in each faction). I don't think it would be all that hard to add to the game, but it would add a lot to us that enjoy role-play.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deleted due to double posting for some reason
    Edited by Rev Rielle on July 14, 2015 10:47PM
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think , objectively looking at it, they do not stop us from doing anything in game. I mean, there are no character collision mechanics or similar (if there were now that would be a huge problem), they do make it less than enjoyable at times when they're jumping about in the middle of your event, pretend fighting, or constantly clipping their character with yours, etc.

From experience it's always a good idea to have one or two back-up venues thought of and available when holding role-play events, especially when they're held out in the open world. For just as it is in real life; it's unpredictable at times. Thankfully in regards to this the game mechanics in ESOTU are great, for once you use a wayshrine the harassers have no idea where you went.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on July 14, 2015 10:57PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think , objectively looking at it, they do not stop us from doing anything in game. I mean, there are no character collision mechanics or similar (if there were now that would be a huge problem), they do make it less than enjoyable at times when they're jumping about in the middle of your event, pretend fighting, or constantly clipping their character with yours, etc.

From experience it's always a good idea to have one or two back-up venues thought of and available when holding role-play events, especially when they're held out in the open world. For just as it is in real life; it's unpredictable at times. Thankfully in regards to this the game mechanics in ESOTU are great, for once you use a wayshrine the harassers have no idea where you went.

Unfortunately in this game it's ALL open world unless you want to just RP with 4 people in a dungeon.

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

Unfortunately in this game it's ALL open world unless you want to just RP with 4 people in a dungeon.

Yes, it is a shame in that regards, I think ESOTU is the only MMO I know of where this is the case. Still, having a back-up location or two helps a lot. It might be something to consider in future when having an event in the open world. For example, there are some truly lovely scenic places in the safe areas of Cyrodiil, where no one goes. They can be just perfect for some open world role-play if you do not require any and particular specific 'props'.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it is a shame in that regards, I think ESOTU is the only MMO I know of where this is the case. Still, having a back-up location or two helps a lot. It might be something to consider in future when having an event in the open world. For example, there are some truly lovely scenic places in the safe areas of Cyrodiil, where no one goes. They can be just perfect for some open world role-play if you do not require any and particular specific 'props'.

I see the logic in what you are saying but something in me absolutely rebels at the idea of letting a bunch of arsehats drive people off.

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the logic in what you are saying but something in me absolutely rebels at the idea of letting a bunch of arsehats drive people off.
    That is a real shame. After all we can't control how others act, only how we react.
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a real shame. After all we can't control how others act, only how we react.
    Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

But the point of this entire thread is that we should not HAVE to resort to this kind of nonsense. ZoS should either dedicate the staff to deal with these problems in a TIMELY manner OR put the tools necessary into the hands of the players. Your "solution" is not only unacceptable in principle but impracticable as well.

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But the point of this entire thread is that we should not HAVE to resort to this kind of nonsense. ZoS should either dedicate the staff to deal with these problems in a TIMELY manner OR put the tools necessary into the hands of the players. Your "solution" is not only unacceptable in principle but impracticable as well.
    We should not have to do a great deal many things, but that is life. Zenimax have made their stance clear in this thread, and what we should do when faced with harassment in-game. They've given no indication it's going to change any time soon. So rather than continually complaining, it seems it would be more constructive to look for solutions in relation to the reality we're faced with in game presently. You make think they're nonsense, as you say for whatever reason, but I promise you they work, and can be used right now:
    • Ask them to stop harassing.
    • Report them if they continue to do so.
    • Wayshrine to a new location.
    Is it a perfect solution? Of course not, but once again that is life. It is however far better than the alternative: we're not getting the changes we want so we won't do anything to help ourselves in protest.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should not have to do a great deal many things, but that is life. Zenimax have made their stance clear in this thread, and what we should do when faced with harassment in-game. They've given no indication it's going to change any time soon. So rather than continually complaining, it seems it would be more constructive to look for solutions in relation to the reality we're faced with in game presently. You make think they're nonsense, as you say for whatever reason, but I promise you they work, and can be used right now:
    Is it a perfect solution? Of course not, but once again that is life. It is however far better than the alternative: we're not getting the changes we want so we won't do anything to help ourselves in protest.

And, again, I do 1 and 2 every time. So it's not that I'm saying your suggestions are worthless. BUT I have to say that you are wrong to suggest that we give up and quit encouraging ZoS to do a better job than they have.

• Sword_Artist
    Sword_Artist
    Soul Shriven
    I think an easy way to discourage general scumbagness would be to replace perma-underwear with something that isn't actually underwear, for example the clothes we get after escaping the Coldharbor prison at the beginning at the game (wearing armor with no clothes underneath is probably uncomfortable anyway). The only use I can think of for having it be actual underwear would be for Erotic Roleplay and the like, and while I think roleplay in general is a great idea, this doesn't seem like a game that would benefit from that being a thing. And it's annoying to hear people ask about Erotic Roleplay every time someone nearby takes off thier armor to go thieving. However, if anyone has thought of a good reason to keep this the way it is, I'd like to hear it.
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And, again, I do 1 and 2 every time. So it's not that I'm saying your suggestions are worthless. BUT I have to say that you are wrong to suggest that we give up and quit encouraging ZoS to do a better job than they have.

Points one and two are not the issue. If you think they are you've misunderstood from the beginning. And worthless and nonsense are saying the same things. I'm not going to repeat the same things over and over again, I see no value in circular conversations especially when one party doesn't even seem to bother seriously trying to accommodate anyone else's view but their own.

You're seemingly just looking for an argument now and not actually willing to listen to any solution. In doing so I think you're not painting role-players in a positive, mature light. As such, I think it might be prudent to take a step back, perhaps take a bit of time away from the game and glean a little perspective. I feel right now with the recent responses more harm than good is being done in relation to how outsiders see role-players, and whether this topic is even taken seriously at all. And that is the greatest disappointment because it's worth talking about.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on July 16, 2015 7:45AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Points one and two are not the issue. If you think they are you've misunderstood from the beginning. And worthless and nonsense are saying the same things. I'm not going to repeat the same things over and over again, I see no value in circular conversations especially when one party doesn't even seem to bother seriously trying to accommodate anyone else's view but their own.

You're seemingly just looking for an argument now and not actually willing to listen to any solution. In doing so I think you're not painting role-players in a positive, mature light. As such, I think it might be prudent to take a step back, perhaps take a bit of time away from the game and glean a little perspective. I feel right now with the recent responses more harm than good is being done in relation to how outsiders see role-players, and whether this topic is even taken seriously at all. And that is the greatest disappointment because it's worth talking about.

Wow. I've noticed your propensity to endlessly argue and, indeed, refuse to see anyone else's viewpoint but your own as well. You kind of DO seem willing to repeat the same thing over and over. It's not a matter of refusing to see your viewpoint, it is simply that, when you suggest that I and others should simply give up and let ZOS slide and stop asking them to do a better job and just run away when bullied by people with nothing better to do with their time, I am always and forever going to flatly disagree with you. So yeah, we can both be done talking to each other now. Have a good day.

• Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing ever would be if you could just kill their dumb asses. I'm wondering though, how often do these idiots interrupt serious moments? Can you just ignore them like they were some random heckler irl? Leaving actually might not be a bad idea because if EVERYONE did that, and immediately ended their fun, it wouldn't be so fun anymore. Think about if you were on here, or actually let's say you're in a chatroom back in 1999 or something. If you were a troll, it would be pretty crappy if as soon as you showed up, the chatroom just immediately cleared out and left you alone, and you had no idea what room they all ran to. Or if everyone ignored you like you weren't there at all. And you acted crazier and crazier but it made no difference. Then in desperation, you fell on your cast off crappy iron sword. And died. With a single tear running from your wonky troll eye. :smile:
    You die first!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL Ah Rioghnan if only it worked like that! Sadly it's mostly a matter of logistics. Say you're doing a wedding between noble houses in the cathedral in Shornhelm attended by upwards of 20 to 30 people. Jerkface comes in and starts disrupting, doing the spamming of loud flashy spells as well as the abusive chat, etc. Even if you've got another location lined up and have been able to tell every single person there in advance about it getting everyone moved, set up, and the wedding resumed is going to be extremely time consuming. And that's even if the entire party is grouped and can communicate without the idiot seeing what is being said. If it's just you and a small group then sure, it's doable, but for larger events? Nope.

Just last night I was watching an event in EP and it was a very large gathering, most people were not in a group, and sure enough, right in the middle of it for over an hour there were at least 4 people being disruptive idiots. One guy made a constant effort to ride his horse through every single person on a continuous basis. The others were naked dancing and spamming spells. The entire time. Everyone ignored them. They did not get bored enough to go away. And it would have been next to impossible to coordinate a move away such as has been suggested.

ZOS HAS to get involved in this at some point.

• Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine I for one am glad to see you being so active with this.
    Hopefully if enough posting and consistency, maybe... maybe ZOS will take the much needed steps to protect the lore they created (one would think they would care about) and prevent ESO from being the exact copy of WoW with different graphics.

ZOS HAS to get involved in this at some point.

^Amen.
    GT: Frozstee = Xbox - NA =
    "Bright Moons, and Sharp Claws my friends." - Zarum
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Say you're doing a wedding between noble houses in the cathedral in Shornhelm attended by upwards of 20 to 30 people. .

This is what some players don't understand. RP isn't always a 2 player event. I think most non-RP players would be staggered at the complexity and scope of what "RP" means.

In real life, if you and your friend are sitting on a park bench chatting, and some jerk sits down and starts playing load music, or involving themselves in your conversation; you might ask them to leave; you might just leave yourself; but if you're at a wedding, or playing sports, or ... in any signifinat sized group; moving isn't really an option.

On-line, I actually believe asking an intended troll to stop hassing you will only feed their ego and bad behavior. It may work with an accidental one.
  • JosephDMachado
    Harassment is an issue. Why people are saying that "role playing is stupid".. While playing a role playing game is beyond me.
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another thread about Graphically abusing other players. A good reason for our continued desire for a "graphical Block" to go with the existing chat block.

forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/197934/poor-sportmanship-bulling/p1
  • chikswithhorses
    King Bozo wrote: »

I agree with this. I get upset when someone grabs a resource before me, should I report them? I paid for the game just like you and you're going to tell me where I can and can't dance with my character? (I never would troll because I just don't care enough). The servers/game are for everyone, not just you. In all seriousness, don't let it bother you, simple as that. Don't be so easily influenced by others actions.