The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Harrassment Already A Larger Problem

• Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uberkull wrote: »
    Lord...11 pages of this back and forth, yet did I miss the post about the core problem here?

The Megaserver. There is more than technical reasons other MMOs have more than one server, and part of it is what they clearly call RP servers. You create a character on a RP server, you agree to very strict rules that eliminate anyone who discriminates / trolls / or bullies RPers. That's it, the end. There is no gray area, you joined a RP server and you signed up to accept RP and participate. Break the rules, character is removed. Same amount of GMs, but they have a easier job...cut and dry rules, break em...bye bye.

So now ZOS can't add another RP Megaserver.....or can they?

That would only solve issues for the rpr's who are being harassed. It would not do anything for the broader issue that it's not just people who rp that get harassed.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uberkull wrote: »
    Lord...11 pages of this back and forth, yet did I miss the post about the core problem here?

The Megaserver. There is more than technical reasons other MMOs have more than one server, and part of it is what they clearly call RP servers. You create a character on a RP server, you agree to very strict rules that eliminate anyone who discriminates / trolls / or bullies RPers. That's it, the end. There is no gray area, you joined a RP server and you signed up to accept RP and participate. Break the rules, character is removed. Same amount of GMs, but they have a easier job...cut and dry rules, break em...bye bye.

So now ZOS can't add another RP Megaserver.....or can they?

While an RP server would be very desirable the fact is that trolls will deliberately join them just to harass RPers. Yeah, that happens. But it's true that the lack of an RP server and the lack of private instancing REALLY hurts those who do RP. And since ZOS is going to refuse to give RPers a way to escape from trolls they either need to step up GM involvement (the least desirable solution) OR they need to give ALL players the ability to VISUALLY ignore any player they would like to. ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that you will always have people who continuously try to disrupt events by "innocent" naked dancing or spamming spells so you can't NOT be distracted. At the very least, this is the same as people who at movie theaters who keep talking loudly during the movie, standing up and blocking the screen, etc. Are they really keeping you from seeing the movie? No. But they ARE making it impossible for you to enjoy it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • istateres
    istateres
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Jeremy, do you understand the concept of harassment?

Who's Jeremy?
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    istateres wrote: »
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    Jeremy, do you understand the concept of harassment?

Who's Jeremy?

No one important. Just a poster who continually misrepresents what the topic here is actually about.

Options
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Integration or Segregation? That is the question.

Most other MMOs opt for the segregation option by placing RPers in their own realms or instance. ESO has opt for the integration option, in my opinion the RPers should just get over it... It's like racism in real life you cannot control what others say or do, you just simply got to ignore it.
    Edited by JWKe on May 23, 2015 9:51PM
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ke Jun Wen wrote: »

Most other MMOs opt for the segregation option by placing RPers in their own realms or instance. ESO has opt for the integration option, in my opinion the RPers should just get over it... It's like racism in real life you cannot control what others say or do, you just simply got to ignore it.

I think most people who have actually experienced racism would disagree with you. I know I do.

Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

<SNIP>

It's like racism in real life you cannot control what others say or do, you just simply got to ignore it.

I think there is a saying to the effect that all that is required for evil to flourish is that good men do nothing.

Accepting racism .... or harassment of any kind ... condones it.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it depends on the situation a lot. If you're harassed in your workplace or even get fired because of discrimination, you fight back. But if you hear a stupid comment from a random teenager on the street, maybe it's better to just shake your head and not engage.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    I think it depends on the situation a lot. If you're harassed in your workplace or even get fired because of discrimination, you fight back. But if you hear a stupid comment from a random teenager on the street, maybe it's better to just shake your head and not engage.

If you take the time to read the OP and even a few of the responses in this thread you'll realize that the sort of harassment being spoken of goes well beyond that. /ignore is the perfect tool for that. It removes the offending player from my awareness, at least in chat. So harassment via chat already has the perfect mechanism for players to deal with it on their own. It is the visual harassment that remains a problem and that we are asking ZoS to address.

Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

If you take the time to read the OP and even a few of the responses in this thread you'll realize that the sort of harassment being spoken of goes well beyond that. /ignore is the perfect tool for that. It removes the offending player from my awareness, at least in chat. So harassment via chat already has the perfect mechanism for players to deal with it on their own. It is the visual harassment that remains a problem and that we are asking ZoS to address.
    I understand. I was only addressing the unfortunate racism analogy. I fully support your struggle for a more RP-friendly ESO. "Just get over it" isn't an acceptable answer.
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I fully support your struggle for a more RP-friendly ESO. "Just get over it" isn't an acceptable answer.

One thing I find that slowly contributes to a better game feel is to compliment people on their character - an interesting name or an interesting armor set. Every bit of positive interaction helps make the game better.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
    Options
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one day if this game really takes off and makes major cash like Blizzard they could throw a RP megaserver together. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Like I said in the past this game was made for Role-players!
    Edited by BigM on May 26, 2015 3:06AM
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So last Sunday we pretty much had the exact same thing happen as I described in the OP. Even more players were at this event and after politely asking the disruptive player to stop we were told by them , "This is a public place, I can do whatever I want and you can't do anything about it!" Oh and then we were called several things that would get this post removed were I to repeat them. All while the character ran around among us spamming loud and flashy spells. For over half an hour before they finally got bored, called us all some more names, and left. At least half a dozen players that I KNOW of screenshotted and reported the harassment. And, once again, nothing was done. Of course we all got the standard copy/paste form e-mail telling us ZOS was looking into it but that of course they can't tell us what, if anything, they then did to the offending player.

So, just so you all know, yes this problem still exists and is, in fact, still getting worse. Every day that I play this game at least one player takes it upon themselves to harass me in this fashion if they even SUSPECT there might be some of that weird roleplaying going on. And ZOS, apparently, still has no plans to beef up their systems to allow us to deal with it. I know THAT because I was just told by the person who answered my e-mail that there are no plans to add an enhanced /ignore function such as we've asked for here nor any other plans that they are aware of for combating player harassment.

Hmmm....maybe after console release? :neutral:

Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm on the NA server, and in general, if I happen to be online during such an event - feel free to send me a whisper and i'll happily find a character to send to that area so I can observe and screenshot what is going on. I think that the more "proof" as to exactly what is and is not happening, the more likely appropriate action will be taken.

In theory there should come a point where it will be "cheaper" for ZoS to add the /ignore (phase out) function than to deal with all the reports of harassment.
    Options
  • icebladess
    icebladess
    ✭✭
    I understand the harassment from trolls, but what i do not get is the harassment from other rpers, like some people have taken ooc stuff and use it ic, or starts a flame war, cause the person is not doing what they want them to do. Or have a different rp style. Do not say use the ignore option, cause the ones that is doing the harassment is spreading the bad rumors to other players, and then it keeps on going. Causing harm to the rp community, not only that causing people getting stress out. I know that there some in this forums that is doing that. For those, let the ic stuff be in ic, and let ooc stuff say ooc. Another message to those rpers, LET IT GO. IT IS ONLY A GAME.
    Edited by icebladess on June 9, 2015 1:59PM
    Options
  • Haytham_Of_Ishura

In real life, you don't ignore racism, you punch it in its ugly face and deal with it, but racism and RP trolling can't be compared.

The reality is this: RPers shouldn't be harassed. Trolls forget that this is a MMORPG. RPing should be anticipated and encouraged.

Unfortunately, people with nothing better to do make it less enjoyable than it should be.
    Haytham of Ishura, Son of Sufyan, House Bayan
    Lord of the Noble House Ishura - {ISHURA} Heavy-RP Guild
    ESO North America Server
    http://realmofishura.com
    Options
  • Spiralperky
    Spiralperky
    Soul Shriven

Well lets hope so, because I am now on this game with my rp spirit (on ps4) and I'm afraid this is going to happen to me also. With console, we dont have text chat, we have voice chat (works the same way like text chat but area based).. you can disable it but after reading this thread I see the possible harrasment you can get before you put the disable on. Gives me the chills.
    1st language is Finnish.
    Lore and trophy fanatic but still a casual gamer.
    ''Words are one of our best weapons and crafts we have; let's not misuse it!''

Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well lets hope so, because I am now on this game with my rp spirit (on ps4) and I'm afraid this is going to happen to me also. With console, we dont have text chat, we have voice chat (works the same way like text chat but area based).. you can disable it but after reading this thread I see the possible harrasment you can get before you put the disable on. Gives me the chills.

I can't even begin to imagine the special hell that will be attempting to roleplay in this game over a voice chat system. The mind boggles. Good luck to you though! And please let us know how it goes!

Options
  • marshi1981
    Ive never done RPing before for this exact reason. Id love to be in character and use those emotes to cinematic effect, with funerals and drinking sessions and just all round camaraderie going on. But as a console player I know I would have some 12 year old ruining the imersion with a silly dance or a cry of "Leeroy Jenkins!" Or some such.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marshi1981 wrote: »
    Ive never done RPing before for this exact reason. Id love to be in character and use those emotes to cinematic effect, with funerals and drinking sessions and just all round camaraderie going on. But as a console player I know I would have some 12 year old ruining the imersion with a silly dance or a cry of "Leeroy Jenkins!" Or some such.

Happens plenty on PC as well. :(

Options
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think it's bad on PC.

Try playing on Console with no text chat and area voice chat.

Seriously.. had to yell Ear Muffs! at my kids any time they neared the TV while I was playing.
    Options
  • binnyb23
    binnyb23
    Soul Shriven
    A separate server for hardcore RPers is honestly the best solution and it wouldn't be as crowded
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    binnyb23 wrote: »
    A separate server for hardcore RPers is honestly the best solution and it wouldn't be as crowded

It's also something they will never do. And every RP server I've ever seen had trolls on it just to grief the RPers.

Options
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Being new to ESO online, what exactly does role playing within the game entail? I got to this thread via a link on another thread, so apologise for changing the subject matter.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
    Options
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Being new to ESO online, what exactly does role playing within the game entail? I got to this thread via a link on another thread, so apologise for changing the subject matter.

Depends on the player(s) and the group. Friday night it was a spirited interchange that started innocently enough when the husband (templar/redguard/archer) of the couple that my spouse and I game with, noted that he had forgotten to put his ring of Mara "back on" just prior to presenting to the quest-ender (for the XP boost). Led to a lively discussion on the part of that couple (and I could just see that he was losing spouse points along with the XP).

Then my spouse (who was playing a Breton/Templar/Healer) says (in character) in this ever-so-polite (and therefore HIGHLY dangerous) voice says:

"Mol, are you wearing your ring of Mara?'

Now my orc/sorc/tank has taken that darn ring off only once - and it was at HER request because we were all getting slaughtered by some firey demon that we have yet to go back and kill - and SHE was the one that didn't put it back right away. But anyway, being that Mol gro Durga is no fool, I said "Of course dear. I don't take it off."

Which led to he-who-was-fool-enough-not-to-put-the-damn-thing-on-right-away getting deeper into the sh*t.

Granted, it's probable that any other gamers not in our group might not have picked up on our by-play - but it's still fun.

As for more in-game activity, there is the fairly common 'stress-relief-after-a-bad-undaunted-run' dancing naked in the bar routine. And trust me, the redgard dances are MEANT to be naked (or as near as you can get).

Or the way my dunmer/sorc always rides spot (her tesselated guar) back and forth through the chicken yard in Windhelm on the way to riding lessons - because spot really likes chasing chickens. No he doesn't eat them, guars being herbivores.
    Options
  • leshpar
    leshpar
    ✭✭✭
    I am still trying to find a good RP group personally. I'd probably play more if I could find one.

OT: I love stumbling across RP events happening. Sometimes I stop, watch, and enjoy. Sometimes I ask (in character) if I can join, and sometimes I just nod or wave to them and walk on doing whatever it was I was doing.

The point is there is no reason to make fun of anyone. If your idea of having fun is to ruin other people's fun then you are truly an evil person. NOONE should have to put up with that IRL or in a video game.
    Edited by leshpar on June 22, 2015 9:40AM
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Very best thing you can do for yourself is join TESO-RP which will put you in touch with the RP community for ESO.

As to your question, RP in ESO can be simple or complex. Essentially, create a background and personality for your character and then play them as such, using emotes and chat to share what they are doing and saying. Tuesday is tavern night on NA DC, the location is always different. I'd suggest just showing up and observing for a little while and you'll quickly get a feel for it. But believe me, RP can be far more complex and deeper than random tavern sitting. It all depends on what you want and there are a ton of guilds out there. Hit me up in game at @MornaBaine if you'd like.

Options
  • ConvictedRambo
    The option to turn on/off other players would be cool. Group settings, etc.
    "Live free, or die trying."
    XBOX ONE
    GT:
    WAR DADDY RAMBO
    Options
  • Lifeshield
    Lifeshield
    ✭✭
    Have a private, player moderated, group communication channel fof RP and then hide local channels. Whether in game via some form of add on or update, or via a third party application. I think it would help.
    XBL: Unreal Warfare
    Xbox One - EU Server
    Selket Shadowdancer - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lifeshield wrote: »
    Have a private, player moderated, group communication channel fof RP and then hide local channels. Whether in game via some form of add on or update, or via a third party application. I think it would help.

I'd agree with you except that my own multiple experiences show that even if your entire RP group uses group chat you will still be endlessly trolled and griefed. Something more is required.

Options