The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are on-screen advertisements for the Crown Store acceptable?

• EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store are NOT acceptable.
    StaticWax wrote: »
    Do you guys realize that April 11th is really National Pet Day? Like, it's a real day inside the US. Like Mother's Day.

And did you know that Mother's Day was created to sell junk?

If you don't like capitalism, cast your vote against it in the elections that happen IRL.

If you're coming to the Official Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited° forums to complain about consumerism, you're doing it wrong.

:o

And did you know that ZOS has explicitly said they won't be having events or celebrating RL holidays in game because..*immersion* but now will show advertisements for National Pet Day as an excuse to sell trinkets in the Crown Store? Sorry but I would rather have immersion breaking events/holidays than immersion breaking Crown Store ads.

I don't think this is a huge deal so long as it doesn't get worse but I don't have high hopes that it won't get worse at this point and it's probably a bad omen of the direction this game is going. Winter isn't coming...Neverwinter is coming.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store ARE acceptable.
    I don't really care. So long as they don't start doing it the same way I'm notified of a Trial run.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To those defending it. Its not that we don't understand that they need money. We get that which is why we bought the game and paid the subscription. And it's not sbout "Just ignoring it" or any other stupid ass thing you come up with to deal with it. Some people are just tired of the crap

“We feel pretty strongly about the support we’re going to have for the game and what you’re going to get for those dollars […] not here’s a new sword or here’s a funny hat–but content that is real and significant and it feels like regular and consistent DLC releases.

Where was the significant DLC releases? The one half ass zone that people hated?

[A free-to-play game] just seems like a lesser game, and we’re not going to make a lesser game that might be more palatable […] we want to do the version that we think is the best game and the coolest experience. And that means putting a lot of people and a lot of content creators towards having stuff that comes our regularly; every four weeks, five weeks, six weeks. Big new stuff that you want to do.” -Pete Hines

B2P is not much different and now its the lesser game

"The reason why we don’t need F2P is we have a huge IP behind this. We’re not that worried about getting people in the door."- Matt Firor

The Elder Scrolls Online Will be 'Lag-Free' at Launch, Promises Bethesda-http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/20879/article/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-be-leg-free-at-launch-promises-bethesda/

Unfortunately launch was less laggy but not lag free

Will the cash shop be intrusive? I really like the minimal UI you guys have going on in the game, and I would totally hate to have a large spinning dollar/septim/crown/whatever telling me to "BUY ALL THE STUFF", especially if I am a current subscriber.

The crown store is not intended to be intrusive. We do not direct the player to it or pop it up in front of you when you run out of potions.

Its just there when you want it. - AMA reddit

Popping up advertisement is intrusive. No matter which way you defend it popping up crap in your face is intrusive plain and bloody simple

Sage emphasized that ZeniMax built ESO with the goal to have 200 players on the screen at once without performance issues or culling. He told me that testing on minimum spec machines has proven that it can be done and that ZeniMax is extremely focused on metrics and getting this right. Given studio head Matt Firor's Dark Age of Camelot pedigree, it's easy to see the source of that confidence.

Have you ever been able to have 200 people on screen? Even at launch there wasn't 200 people on screen

Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edited by ers101284b14_ESO on April 13, 2015 2:08PM
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I totally want to support Zenimax and for that I continue to subscribe.

I believe that the ESO audience is a mature audience, of players that enjoy a classy game, that ally style and eleguance with fun. Commercial announce is cheezy, cheap, and bad taste.
    We do not want to see them and we do not need to see them to buy the pets we want to buy.

I appreciate blog post with pretty images, announce in the ESO live, and a small videos to show off the new goodies, but I'll never tolerate anything that remotely break my immersion and make me feel harrassed to purchase things. I believe that we are above that, and Zenimax should understand and respect what kind of audience we are.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ers101284b14_ESO 100% man, totally concur.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, it was one little friendly message because it was national pet day.

If this ruined your day, I feel sorry for you.
    What you probably fail to recognize is that this might be a sign of things to come. Many of us have seen game immersion completely destroyed by intrusive cash shop ads in other games. People that love ESO for its rich immersion are concerned about it and they are speaking up in hopes that it won't get worse.

Edited by Alphashado on April 13, 2015 2:18PM
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it's not an either or scenario. I think there are times where a global system message is okay. For example when they add new items to the Crown store, or before a limited-time item is being removed from the store. Hell even when there is a sale going on. I think all of those are fine times to toss out a global message.

The message we got was cringe-worthy though. Using an obscure holiday to advertise the pets in the crown store was really bad. If there was some sort of reduced pricing or something, then fine. Otherwise it just reeks of desperation IMO.
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Komma
    Komma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did it pop up on screen or just in chat because all I noticed was in chat. If they kept it there and not more than maybe once an hour and never on the screen then I have no problem with it. BUT!!! If they are going to announce pet day which is an earth thing then they need to announce the other holidays or keep all of them out. They said they wouldn't be doing celebrations for earth holidays because of lore stuff.
    Kohma Kozzy-cr160-Stamblade
    Komma-cr160-Magicblade
    Komma the Great-cr160-Stam DK
    Kommah-cr160-Mag DK
    Komma Kozzy-cr160-Mag Templar
    Kommuh Kozzy-cr160-Stam Templar
    Komma the White-cr160-Mag Sorc
    The Tazmanian Devil-cr160-Stamsorc
    OTG
  • Terminus1
    Terminus1
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know that when you start this game there is a statement that "Game Experience may change"?
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Komma wrote: »
    Did it pop up on screen or just in chat because all I noticed was in chat. If they kept it there and not more than maybe once an hour and never on the screen then I have no problem with it. BUT!!! If they are going to announce pet day which is an earth thing then they need to announce the other holidays or keep all of them out. They said they wouldn't be doing celebrations for earth holidays because of lore stuff.

Big yellow system message across the screen.

Member of the Old Guard
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Thymos
    Thymos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wasn't affected by it, as I believe the no thank you addon kept it in my chatbox, so I didn't really notice it.

I wouldn't call that holiday obscure, as just about every animal shelter everywhere was doing some big adoption event. Several shelters were coming together in a single location and offering the adoption fees at huge discounts to get pets into homes.
    Edited by Thymos on April 13, 2015 2:44PM
    The Older Gamers Recruitment Thread
    Always accepting new members for NA and EU server. PvP PvE RP all welcome. Must be 25+ yo to join.
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thymos wrote: »
    I really wasn't affected by it, as I believe the no thank you addon kept it in my chatbox, so I didn't really notice it.

I also use No Thank You, and it still showed up in big yellow letters on my screen (as well as in the chat box).
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terminus1 wrote: »
    Did you know that when you start this game there is a statement that "Game Experience may change"?

Most of us have been here long enough to know that our gaming experience changes. The point is to voice the distaste we have for this sort of thing. If you never voice what you feel is done in bad taste nothing will ever change. We will not sit silently, idle and let this game become one of those monstrosities.

You may not know this but these forums and the people on them have turned the tide on a few issues with ZOS. When people feel strongly about something and bring good points to the table, occasionally they really will listen. I have seen it happen. So, here we are, being that voice, once again.

To all of you thinking we want everything for free, think again. Many of us have supported this game by way of sub fees for a year. We have no problem with ZOS making money, we want them to make money. That. Is. Not. The. Issue. Its all in how its handled. Period.

Elloa said it perfect.
    Elloa wrote: »
    I totally want to support Zenimax and for that I continue to subscribe.

I believe that the ESO audience is a mature audience, of players that enjoy a classy game, that ally style and eleguance with fun. Commercial announce is cheezy, cheap, and bad taste.
    We do not want to see them and we do not need to see them to buy the pets we want to buy.

I appreciate blog post with pretty images, announce in the ESO live, and a small videos to show off the new goodies, but I'll never tolerate anything that remotely break my immersion and make me feel harrassed to purchase things. I believe that we are above that, and Zenimax should understand and respect what kind of audience we are.

Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte
  • Terminus1
    Terminus1
    ✭✭✭
    And my statement still stands:

There should be adverts all over the place on loading screens. There should never be anything that pops up during normal game-play. Not pop-ups to click on. No system messages. But load a dozen on a loading screen? Hell yes. In-Game signage that you can click on to open the Crown store while shopping among the 10 Guild vendors in an area? Uh huh. Great idea there too. I am OK with a few signs (billboards) in a designated shop area - but the Divines know that I most certainly do NOT need to see them in a Delve.
  • hammerwinn
    Well if they are going to give us announcements like this.... It won't be long before they give us Advertisements before dungeons like Youtube does before videos :disappointed:

I think subs should get a AD-FREE environment like we had prior to this. Or at least give us a "crown-Store" option to get out of it x.x
  • seanvwolf
    seanvwolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    All they have to do to get us to buy stuff, is put stuff in the store that we want.
    Don't think anyone ever thought otherwise in the history of marketing.
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    Meh if it was just a little line in the chat window who cares? Players have said much worse in zone chat, as far as immersion breaking.

I don't hear it was a huge popup window that appeared in the middle of playing, so what's the big deal?

Or, you know, posters plastered all over towns in game advertising the Crown Store...
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Yoshira1337
    Yoshira1337
    Soul Shriven
    I am paying my sub. So i dont want to see advertisements on my screen. If i want to spent my crowns i will find my way to the crownstore myself. So please no onscreen advertisements. Thanks
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victus wrote: »
    Meh if it was just a little line in the chat window who cares? Players have said much worse in zone chat, as far as immersion breaking.

I don't hear it was a huge popup window that appeared in the middle of playing, so what's the big deal?

Or, you know, posters plastered all over towns in game advertising the Crown Store...

You are right, it wasn't a popup window. It was a big yellow system message ACROSS the screen. Again, it was not just in the chat box, as many of us have said we would actually be okay if it was there. I'm in the middle of enjoying my game and BAM. Right there in my face, plastered across my screen.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte
  • Kronos
    Kronos
    i would rather have an add when i log on, then pay a monthly fee. Just my opinion.
    - Kronos Dawnbreaker
    The Septim Bloodline
    Guildmaster
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT acceptable under any circumstances. It's a slippery slope and just one step away from RNG gambling boxes and "xxx won a XXXX" spam splattered across the screen. I feel fortunate as an EU player, that I didn't see this nonsense.

@ZOS: You find an artist who knows what a dog looks like, and how a dog moves and improve these current abortions, and I will buy one. Until then, I will NOT be buying any dog pets at all.

This... first login of the day on an account, one message in the chatbox (not across the screen as a popup announcement)? Perhaps, but not something that comes off well even then. Ad banner on the game launcher/patcher? Sure, go for it... that's the usual spot for game announcements and cash shop stuff, being fairly unobtrusive but still noticeable to actually advertise your stuff.

As someone who relogs dozens of times a day across a couple of accounts, it would be extremely annoying to see a center-screen announcement every time and have it pop up randomly while playing to boot. Keep the ads out of the game itself.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope don't want to see them if am paying a sub, because if am paying the sub I won't be buying anything from store. If it keeps up while I pay sub then I will have to stop paying sub and more than likely stop playing for good.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Endurance
    Endurance
    ✭✭✭
    You could buy a Premium/Pro piece of software with zero ads, or you could get the freeware edition of that software full of ads.. its your choice
    I'm outta here
  • Terminus1
    Terminus1
    ✭✭✭
    Let me ask you this:

If your walking around the market area in Grahtwood and you walk by a sign that says "new puppies for sale!" Does that break your immersion? Clicking the sign opens the crown store and you can get your puppy. That fast. It is no different than clicking a merchant and then searching for what you want etc. This, IMHO, is as it should be. Heck, I would like to see rare drop pets that guilds can put in THEIR store! But the point is that there is a time and place for marketing. There is a NEED for marketing and I want to see it IN-GAME. But again - the whole TIME-PLACE thing should be considered. The poll is broken in that it does not allow you to make this choice.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To those defending it. Its not that we don't understand that they need money. We get that which is why we bought the game and paid the subscription. And it's not sbout "Just ignoring it" or any other stupid ass thing you come up with to deal with it. Some people are just tired of the crap
    “We feel pretty strongly about the support we’re going to have for the game and what you’re going to get for those dollars […] not here’s a new sword or here’s a funny hat–but content that is real and significant and it feels like regular and consistent DLC releases.

Where was the significant DLC releases? The one half ass zone that people hated?

[A free-to-play game] just seems like a lesser game, and we’re not going to make a lesser game that might be more palatable […] we want to do the version that we think is the best game and the coolest experience. And that means putting a lot of people and a lot of content creators towards having stuff that comes our regularly; every four weeks, five weeks, six weeks. Big new stuff that you want to do.” -Pete Hines

B2P is not much different and now its the lesser game

"The reason why we don’t need F2P is we have a huge IP behind this. We’re not that worried about getting people in the door."- Matt Firor

The Elder Scrolls Online Will be 'Lag-Free' at Launch, Promises Bethesda-http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/20879/article/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-be-leg-free-at-launch-promises-bethesda/

Unfortunately launch was less laggy but not lag free

Will the cash shop be intrusive? I really like the minimal UI you guys have going on in the game, and I would totally hate to have a large spinning dollar/septim/crown/whatever telling me to "BUY ALL THE STUFF", especially if I am a current subscriber.

The crown store is not intended to be intrusive. We do not direct the player to it or pop it up in front of you when you run out of potions.

Its just there when you want it. - AMA reddit

Popping up advertisement is intrusive. No matter which way you defend it popping up crap in your face is intrusive plain and bloody simple
    Sage emphasized that ZeniMax built ESO with the goal to have 200 players on the screen at once without performance issues or culling. He told me that testing on minimum spec machines has proven that it can be done and that ZeniMax is extremely focused on metrics and getting this right. Given studio head Matt Firor's Dark Age of Camelot pedigree, it's easy to see the source of that confidence.

Have you ever been able to have 200 people on screen? Even at launch there wasn't 200 people on screen

Sage assuaged most of my fears, however, when he mentioned that once you hit level 50 and decide to play in another alliance's areas, you'll be able to play with friends in that faction. So at the endgame, things begin to open up and you can group up, chat, and run dungeons with players of other factions. The one area where things remain separate is, of course, the Alliance War in Cyrodiil.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    And did you know that ZOS has explicitly said they won't be having events or celebrating RL holidays in game because..*immersion* but now will show advertisements for National Pet Day as an excuse to sell trinkets in the Crown Store? Sorry but I would rather have immersion breaking events/holidays than immersion breaking Crown Store ads.

I don't think this is a huge deal so long as it doesn't get worse but I don't have high hopes that it won't get worse at this point and it's probably a bad omen of the direction this game is going. Winter isn't coming...Neverwinter is coming.

Ironically, the "immersion" reasoning is the main reason cited by ZOS previously for not fixing the PC user interface up for intuitiveness, adding industry-standard toggleable options for basics like a minimap and combat log tab, and seemingly providing simple things so far like a mail reply button or being able to show one of your guilds under your character's title on its nametag.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 13, 2015 3:02PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder if the ads crashed today :)
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terminus1 wrote: »
    Let me ask you this:

If your walking around the market area in Grahtwood and you walk by a sign that says "new puppies for sale!" Does that break your immersion? Clicking the sign opens the crown store and you can get your puppy. That fast. It is no different than clicking a merchant and then searching for what you want etc. This, IMHO, is as it should be. Heck, I would like to see rare drop pets that guilds can put in THEIR store! But the point is that there is a time and place for marketing. There is a NEED for marketing and I want to see it IN-GAME. But again - the whole TIME-PLACE thing should be considered. The poll is broken in that it does not allow you to make this choice.

The poll isn't broken. Its not asking if you are okay with loading screen ads or ads in your chat box or signs around town but specifically ON the screen. In your playing view. Big yellow system announcements. Which should be reserved for only important things. Not advertisements.

You are very right, there is a time and place for marketing and that's precisely what we are debating here. :)
    Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte
  • Sacadon
    Sacadon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sincere thanks for the poll... A qualification to my vote is that I'm ok with them advertising in an unobtrusive way to non-subscribers on the launcher and a small and unobtrusive area of the character screen.

ESO Plus players should by default NOT have in-game adverts. Maybe allow these players to opt-in to the adverts if they want them though. Absolute worst case scenario, have a crown store purchase that removes the adds.

I do want ESO to make a ton of money and for the game to thrive. I also want the game to avoid the cheap player experience that most associate with in-game adverts. There are enough viable ways to generate revenue without stooping so low as to flash adverts across the players screen while they play.

And as I always say, just because other MMOs do and have done this, does not mean that ZOS has to do the same in order to be successful. This type of thinking keeps you in a cold cave with no fire.
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c0rp wrote: »
    As long as they stay on the log in page I am fine with it. In fact, I also dont mind if they post the eventual "deal of the day" on the log in page as well.

I cant believe people get so upset over a simple message on the LOG IN PAGE. Cant you find other things to waste your time and anger on? You people realize that is zos doesnt make money the game isn't going anywhere right?

Except it was not on log in screen it was flashed multiple times across your game screen like the game was going down, or a new emperor was crowned, scroll changed hands, etc

and it was not a deal of the day, or even a deal at all. Same prices, same junk

Low standards by *some* players is why the game keeps getting worse and worse. That is a nice as I can say it without it getting mod'ed.

Excuse me, you know nothing of my "standards", and for you to pretend you do is rather foolhardy. I also did not see any in game messages as I did not play for long yesterday. But had I, I would not be on the forums complaining about it, because I have enough cognition to know that ZoS is making this game to make money, and not for people to run around and play for free.

Perhaps *some* players just need to "grow up" some?

Edited by c0rp on April 13, 2015 3:14PM
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c0rp wrote: »

I also did not see any in game messages as I did not play for long yesterday. But had I, I would not be on the forums complaining about it

Yet here you are complaining about our complaining. Hmmm. Are you just mad because we have an opinion that is not yours? Have you never disliked something and voiced it?

I don't see the point in getting ticked off at each other here. Some of us aren't okay with this tactic they are using. Some of us are okay with it. Nothing changes without the voices of the people.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte