The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are on-screen advertisements for the Crown Store acceptable?

• Molagent
    Molagent
    ✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store are NOT acceptable.
    Advertisements inside a game can be violently distracting, even turn people away from it. If you think a game like this doesn't exist I suggest any Uplay title game, or one of the more infamous games out there. APB:R, All Points Bulletin: Reloaded. The game is just being wringed out for every dollar they can get. Advertisement isn't stoppable unless you pay their premium subscription, even then it's not. There's many other games out there just like this, but no one as bad as APB:R.

I'm not against publicity or advertisement, it's how many millions get a dollar in their pocket. It shouldn't be shoved down throats, and if anything I would say it's time to for one, figure out how to sell crowns without leaving the game. Two, if advertisements are to be in place then make them so they're only viewable in the crown store itself.
    "Happiness is foolishness I don't care for. When a scientist discovers something new that person would be willing to die to uncover the result of it. In that moment there is no happiness but an obsessiveness with interest. And it is with great pleasure I say I am not, nor ever desire to be happy, but take luxury and with sense of halcyon that I am interesting."
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    eblasts are good. the popup ad on the launcher is horrible. the giant on-screen announcements are unacceptable.
  • QuadroTony
    QuadroTony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Gargin add a block for this message to the No, Thank You addon
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    wraith808 wrote: »
    Vyle_Byte wrote: »
    bi·ased
    unfairly prejudiced for or against someone or something

This poll, dear sir, by definition is not biased. It is not misleading, it does not guide you. It is not telling in one way or the other what the OP stands for. Simple, direct.
    wraith808 wrote: »

Having a different opinion doesn't come under pithy statements. If you're asking people to look at results, then you want a scientific poll, which this is not (and indeed none of them are). Sample set, questions, and the ability to represent all views are the bare minimum for a poll. And this has... none of those characteristics.

I am not sure how you read this poll to be forceful, brief, yes... but not forceful so I am not sure where you are getting pithy statements from the poll itself.

You say you don't care, that isn't really having a different opinion. Its not having one. Again, if you don't care, then why would you wish to vote anyhow?

Pithy statements from your quote. Forceful? I never used that word, unless we're getting into a language situation. Not caring or does not matter is a stance. Just not one represented. Note that all of the ZOS polls that we received during beta had them. Because choosing not to care is a choice, and is included in a count of the respondents. If you don't include it, then those aren't included in your totals, and skew the results.

Not caring gives ZOS license to do what they wish and extrapolate feedback to fit whatever their business needs or management directives command them. It therefore has no bearing in this poll. It's as useless as adding "I like pie." to the poll. It doesn't factor. You could morph this poll to be some Likert scale, but in the end you're either for this or not. If it doesn't matter to you either way, then that opinion is useless to illustrating discontent or complacent approval.

You can write that, but it doesn't make it true. Again, read How to Lie with Statistics. It covers this very well.

Or, you can read this article. It covers a lot of what my peeve is with people looking at the polls on here as anywhere near scientific or definitive. Especially the part on opt-in polling.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • grimsfield
    grimsfield
    ✭✭✭
    They need to restrict the ads to the chat window if theyre gonna blast them server wide. If I had one of these adblasts happen during a hard mode trials run or something, I'd probably pretty annoyed.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    I think we all agreed to it when we updated to TU in the updated Eula

Feel free to show some proof that I agreed to see adds pop up on my screen. Very well could be that is is hidden in the fine print somewhere. Either way, you cant convince me that I like it.

No matter what you say, if you still play, you de facto agree with it and it is precisely acceptable for you.
    While you could keep playing and make sure you would not buy anything in wake of on screen ads to let marketing zombies know you do not like it, it would not help you. They would only conclude ads were not agressive enough and double their effort to coerce consumers...err...players...into shopping.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store ARE acceptable.
    They do the same thing for maintenance notices too.

As long as it doesn't happen often I got no problems with it.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say this...if a limited time offer or anything changes, an announcement is nice. Perhaps many want the option to turn off in game announcements which seems like a fair request
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • djnapstyb14_ESO
    djnapstyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    plus members should get the option to turn them off.

for all of those that cried for FTP, Thats what you get
    EP FOR LIFE
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen any such ads yet, but would prefer there to be an option to disable them - with the option greyed out unless you are a subscriber. Ideally, of course, there wouldn't be any at all, but my opposition to them is qualified in that it relates to bold centre-screen ads rather than discreet ads in the general zone chat (which I disable anyway) that do not have any such disabling option.
    Edited by Tandor on April 16, 2015 10:55PM
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they didn't see this poll?
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • Heromofo
    Heromofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slippery slope for them but they should at least not subject Subscribers to this crap
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molagent wrote: »
    Advertisements inside a game can be violently distracting, even turn people away from it. If you think a game like this doesn't exist I suggest any Uplay title game, or one of the more infamous games out there. APB:R, All Points Bulletin: Reloaded. The game is just being wringed out for every dollar they can get. Advertisement isn't stoppable unless you pay their premium subscription, even then it's not. There's many other games out there just like this, but no one as bad as APB:R.

Did you just compare these on-screen notifications to APB:R? That game has far worse problems than on-screen advertisements; ones that have degraded the player base to nothing but trolls.
    Edited by nastuug on April 17, 2015 9:14PM
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said last weekend was the test of waters and here we are ;)
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Sinthrax
    Sinthrax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we all agreed to it when we updated to TU in the updated Eula

As many times as Zo$ has went back on their word now you want to hold the customer accountable? I understand a Eula but I also understand when a company tells me something and don't stick to their word. I have no sympathy for them. As usual tho its the customers fault for having expectations of a company.
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    256u68y.png

Just happened again. Three times in a row, in 3 Languages!! Got the screenshot this time. As you can see, I was in the middle of becoming a WW. Completely ruined the moment, and my immersion. Thanks for that. To show my appreciation, I give you this lovely middle finger.
    Edited by Valen_Byte on April 18, 2015 1:10AM
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys complain about commercials when you are watching TV too? Chill the hell out. I bet you are all completely offended by such vulgarities as advertising something in the crown store? Sometimes I think you guys just need something to complain about. It reminds me when I was a teenager working picnic events for elderly communities.....
    The chickens too hot
    Ketchup bottle is too hard to open
    The suns too hot
    The tree leaves are too green
    Mr carter broke wind
    the napkins wont stay on the tables

• Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may seem petty to some people and that's fine, thats your opinion. However, this happening again tonight, 3 times in a row just made my blood boil. It honestly makes me angry. Stop it ZOS. Seriously, it makes me NOT want to spend a single penny on this game, in your shop. No need to direct my attention to the crown store, its on the launcher, its on the log in page, its on the forums. Its in plenty of places we don't need it in our faces while we attempt to play our game.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makkir wrote: »
    Do you guys complain about commercials when you are watching TV too? Chill the hell out. I bet you are all completely offended by such vulgarities as advertising something in the crown store? Sometimes I think you guys just need something to complain about. It reminds me when I was a teenager working picnic events for elderly communities.....
    The chickens too hot
    The suns too hot
    Mr carter broke wind

So you feel the need to defend ZOS. Thats cool man, do your thing. Let us do ours.

Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • pugyourself
    pugyourself
    ✭✭✭✭
    The chickens too hot
    The suns too hot
    Mr carter broke wind

100% not the same thing. This game is B2P, not F2P. It's also an Elder Scrolls title despite recent "un-Elder Scrolls-like" behavior from ZOS marketing. As others have said, it is impossible not to be aware of Crown Store offerings due to its ubiquitous placement in-game. Ads are fine in the chat box but the cross-screen yellow is extremely intrusive and reminds me of a 1992 pop-up ad. At the very least, subs should be able to opt-out.

Edited for spelling
    Edited by pugyourself on April 18, 2015 1:26AM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I imagine that ZOS is going to have the same reaction that a cable company would have to you telling them to stop showing you so many commercials.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I imagine that ZOS is going to have the same reaction that a cable company would have to you telling them to stop showing you so many commercials.

I agree. Then again, its not MY reputation that is being ruined.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well to be fair, I can record and then FF through commercials, or watch GoT commercial free because premium channel.

At minimum if nothing else, subscription should = premium channel, and keep that junk out of sight.
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Xithian
    Xithian
    ✭✭✭
    Do you guys complain about commercials when you are watching TV too?

Yes, I do. It's one of the major reasons Netflix is so popular. It's the reason Hulu is on my black-list, for going back on that same promise.

You can only argue that people shouldn't care as much as they do, which isn't the point. You can't argue in favor of ads on screen during gameplay, which begs the question "Why have them?". There isn't really any reason it can't be just a splash screen on startup. Everyone would see it literally every time they log in. Is that not enough?
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind game mail. I sorta mind chat announcements. I actually expect e-mail (or STEAM ads).

I find in-game full screen ads to be inappropriate for subscribers.

If I'm watching network TV, I expect ads.

If I'm watching cable - I pay to get it - ads would be a serious problem.

Same with websites. "Pay to get rid of ads" is actually pretty common.

If this is done because "people would want to know" then by all means add a toggle.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I for one am at the point where I dont care what they put in that store. I will not buy one single thing as long as these "adds" continue.
    GM of BYTE
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galanaar wrote: »
    Rather than onscreen ads, why not work it into game immersion? Create a Crown Store in each major, city close to the banks. There could also be a ~very~ small chance an NPC will approach players with a short sales pitch (like a town crier) about checking out the items in the store.

That idea ... is awesome. Just saying.

THAT would be a store I would support. And would have unique, ZOS flair.

Well I say that, and there's a ZEN market in Neverwinter, but that's not what I'm imagining.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you guys complain about commercials when you are watching TV too?

I must admit that the commercial spam in TV made me retire from cable network and I am now my own program director where commercial breaks don't exist. Sure it might cost me a bit more, but I can watch what I want and when.

As for the Ads at ESO, first of all I do believe Gina if she says its only once a day so that players know about the limitation of their product. Sure its a bit shady to rub this "mount" under each persons nose, but I guess its necessary for one or the other reason.

That said, I think it would help everyone if such ads only come up when players log on. It could be during the log in screen, a small box with the newest sales. Inside the game, such messages should not come up, its bad enough that we must read what player x did in the leadboards...
  • AnteCoyote
    AnteCoyote
    ✭✭✭
    Buy cats e'rry day
    Aldmeri Dominion -J'Ualizz - Siphons-Spirits - S'Renrij - Byz Only Sweeps - Winds-Roots
    Daggerfall Covenant - Lucky Lakhim
    North America
  • Aimora
    Aimora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subbed players shouldn't have to see these!
    Aimora Gilidhren - 50 Hybrid Sorcerer
    Aimae Gilihdril - 50Templar Healer
    Aimsae Astasia - 50 Templar Tank
    Aimellie Halfpenny - 50 Nightblade spinning DPS
    Sofae Ethelbur - 50 Dragonknight Tank
    Sha'Mash 50 - Nightblade - Former Empress
    Saelenor Wilihfren 50 - Templar No. 3
    Seliene Harbingerin 50 - DK in training
    Aims For Equanimity 10 - Magicka DK

Circle of the Phoenix - Guild Mistress
    Elysium - Guild 2nd in Command
    Auridon Trading Company - Joint GM

Looking for a friendly, progress focused guild check us out at thecircleofthephoenix.gamerlaunch.com/

Check me out at Anook anook.com/aimora