Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are on-screen advertisements for the Crown Store acceptable?

• c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store ARE acceptable.
    Vyle_Byte wrote: »
    c0rp wrote: »

I also did not see any in game messages as I did not play for long yesterday. But had I, I would not be on the forums complaining about it

Yet here you are complaining about our complaining. Hmmm. Are you just mad because we have an opinion that is not yours? Have you never disliked something and voiced it?

No, I am not. I just participated in the poll and was jumped by some random guy. Thanks for your input, though.

Edited by c0rp on April 13, 2015 3:23PM
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On-screen advertisements for the crown store are NOT acceptable.
    c0rp wrote: »

No, I am not. I just participated in the poll and was jumped by some random guy. Thanks for your input, though.

Ahh, I didn't see you get jumped, sorry man. I'm not okay with that. Like I said, I see no reason for anyone to get mad at anothers opinion. We all have them. We all have the right to voice them. Which, is the point of the poll. :)
    Edited by Vyle_Byte on April 13, 2015 3:34PM
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we all agreed to it when we updated to TU in the updated Eula

We also agreed to the ToS which read we will not cause another discomfort, alienate, or harass any person in any means. And with all the QQ on the forums you can definitely tell that this has caused minor and major discomfort, in a harassment delivery.

This in fact violates their ToS. Good thing ZoS doesnt ban people outside the forums or they'd need a new job right now.
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

• Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that relatively few people post. So no poll is going to be valid.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I want to play ONE GAME and not be bugged while playing it. I have no problem supporting this game and have championed it among my gaming friends. That support will stop the moment this becomes regular; I do not want my favorite gaming series becoming reduced to the crap spam mail I get and rudely label return to sender. This is unacceptable and so is making excuses for it.
  • ZOS_ArtG
    Hi, all.

In order to ensure continued constructive and meaningful discussion on our forums, we ask that you please refrain from using rude and insulting comments as well as trolling or baiting as this could potentially derail the whole spirit of this poll. We would like to keep this thread active as we encourage lively discussions and debates such as these but keep in mind our Code of Conduct when posting. Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    *shrug* one time I'm not worried about. If this starts happening on the regular, then I'll want to say something.

Of course, that's also if I'm even online when these messages come up...
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather they bother to actually show what is in the Crown store via the online link rather than only let people see what is in the store when they are in game, and then spamming the game screen. If you go to the game store link online all you can see now are crown packs and the various game versions for sale. They should be advertising everything they sell in Crown Shop via this link, not just crown packs and game versions.
  • Khaldar
    Khaldar
    ✭✭✭
    If the game was 100% F2P I wouldn't have an opinion. But just like buying an App or subscribing to a service to remove Ads, its not okay with me if I am paying for the service. I bought the game. I pay a service fee (ESO plus). So it's not okay with me.

Edited by Khaldar on April 13, 2015 4:04PM
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victus wrote: »
    *shrug* one time I'm not worried about. If this starts happening on the regular, then I'll want to say something.

Of course, that's also if I'm even online when these messages come up...

Which is precisely why we are discussing the issue now. Because we don't want to see this happen on a regular. We as the people have to let ZOS know where we stand on issues. If we stand by and say nothing, it will get worse. It will happen slowly but then one day our beautiful game will look like "other" mmos. Having the name Elder Scrolls requires maintaining some etiquette, some class.

Member of the Old Guard
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endurance wrote: »
    You could buy a Premium/Pro piece of software with zero ads, or you could get the freeware edition of that software full of ads.. its your choice

Great analogy except for the fact that here you can get freeware with ads or you can buy the "premium" software with a sub and...still get the damn ads. So no..not a choice.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @c0rp You didn't have the misfortune to see it splashed across your screen while playing, great, awesome, lucky you!

It was/is low brow f2p tactics. That is not why I am (at least currently) still subbed to this game when there are hundreds of of free mmo's out there with that kind of cheese and "whale" hunting. ZOS is already getting my money, they do not need to back track on their own words again and spam me to buy things that hurt the game more than help.

I'm sorry if you feel offended personally by my comment of *some* players being accepting of low quality. Yesterday's spam is yet another item in a continually growing list of things either ZOS said they wouldn't do to begin with and reality is the more we the players simply accept it, the further down that road ZOS will go. It really is just that simple, if we don't speak out...you really won't see a difference between ESO and whale hunting games before long.

(and yes, I know I can just unsub and play free right? someone always chimes in with that...but do you really think constantly running off those who actually pay the piper is going to help the game?)
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!

• Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_ArtG wrote: »
    Hi, all.

In order to ensure continued constructive and meaningful discussion on our forums, we ask that you please refrain from using rude and insulting comments as well as trolling or baiting as this could potentially derail the whole spirit of this poll. We would like to keep this thread active as we encourage lively discussions and debates such as these but keep in mind our Code of Conduct when posting. Thank you for understanding.

I really hope someone is paying more attention to this poll.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on April 13, 2015 4:37PM
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    ZOS_ArtG wrote: »
    Hi, all.

I really hope someone is paying more attention to this poll.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Rude and Insulting comments]

What about "I don't really care one way or the other." No? Not an option? Biased poll is for entertainment purposes...
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I voted yes, but it comes with a caveat. Very long breaks between messages and only short, simple messages when there's some special change or addition. If you're going to advertise the crown store on pet day, for example, then there better be a discount on the pets to go along with it. Don't be using obscure holidays as an excuse just to say that the in game store exists.

System messages that simply wish everyone a good holiday on one of the major ones are also acceptable as long as they follow the rule of being short and sweet with long breaks between.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »

What about "I don't really care one way or the other." No? Not an option? Biased poll is for entertainment purposes...

Biased? lol ok Well if you don't care about the subject than why would you care if there isn't an "idc" option?. Its to get the population of the forums opinion... yay or nay.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything! :smiley:
    Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the Addon "No Thank You" stop these spam ads?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »
    I voted yes, but it comes with a caveat. Very long breaks between messages and only short, simple messages when there's some special change or addition. If you're going to advertise the crown store on pet day, for example, then there better be a discount on the pets to go along with it. Don't be using obscure holidays as an excuse just to say that the in game store exists.

System messages that simply wish everyone a good holiday on one of the major ones are also acceptable as long as they follow the rule of being short and sweet with long breaks between.

My desire to not be annoyed should be respected. When companies do this in a department store, I walk out. If you want to be advertised to, then I suggest you play the game with cash shop open. I want to play the game with some degree of immersion. That's why I bought it, that's why I suggest this to my friends. It's one of the few MMOs without a diabetes-inducing UI. (Wildstar, I'm looking at you).
    Edited by Destai on April 13, 2015 5:20PM
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭

Biased? lol ok Well if you don't care about the subject than why would you care if there isn't an "idc" option?. Its to get the population of the forums opinion... yay or nay.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything! :smiley:

Having a different opinion doesn't come under pithy statements. If you're asking people to look at results, then you want a scientific poll, which this is not (and indeed none of them are). Sample set, questions, and the ability to represent all views are the bare minimum for a poll. And this has... none of those characteristics.
  • Galanaar
    Galanaar
    Soul Shriven
    Rather than onscreen ads, why not work it into game immersion? Create a Crown Store in each major, city close to the banks. There could also be a ~very~ small chance an NPC will approach players with a short sales pitch (like a town crier) about checking out the items in the store.
    "I've been hunting and fishing in these parts for years."
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Galanaar wrote: »
    Rather than onscreen ads, why not work it into game immersion? Create a Crown Store in each major, city close to the banks. There could also be a ~very~ small chance an NPC will approach players with a short sales pitch (like a town crier) about checking out the items in the store.

No. I don't want to be in the game thinking about anything else outside of it. I know there's a store when I login, I see it on the launcher. That's enough. There are enough people that don't want to be advertised to warrant keeping the game ad-free.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bi·ased
    unfairly prejudiced for or against someone or something

This poll, dear sir, by definition is not biased. It is not misleading, it does not guide you. It is not telling in one way or the other what the OP stands for. Simple, direct.

Having a different opinion doesn't come under pithy statements. If you're asking people to look at results, then you want a scientific poll, which this is not (and indeed none of them are). Sample set, questions, and the ability to represent all views are the bare minimum for a poll. And this has... none of those characteristics.

I am not sure how you read this poll to be forceful, brief, yes... but not forceful so I am not sure where you are getting pithy statements from the poll itself.

You say you don't care, that isn't really having a different opinion. Its not having one. Again, if you don't care, then why would you wish to vote anyhow?

Member of the Old Guard
    Viva la Byte
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am voting against the adds only because having them pop on your screen is not at all conducive to immersion and realism, two points ESO always prioritized.

I understand the need for the Cash Shop to maintain the game alive, but solution cannot be spamming adds, breaking the game's atmosphere. If you must advertize, do so through in game mails and write down the adds as a in character message, similar to the mails we got from Hirelings.

Either way, the only thing that will truly attract players to the store is attractive content.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No. I don't want to be in the game thinking about anything else outside of it. I know there's a store when I login, I see it on the launcher. That's enough. There are enough people that don't want to be advertised to warrant keeping the game ad-free.

I have to agree on the immersion ads thing. Nothing is more immersion breaking than putting an advertisement in an immersion wrapper. Imagine having a random Nord NPC walk up to you and say "What are you, some kind of milk drinker? You should stop by the Crown Store and pick up a cool, refreshing Mead Bundle for only 500 crowns!"

No thank you.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glurin wrote: »

I have to agree on the immersion ads thing. Nothing is more immersion breaking than putting an advertisement in an immersion wrapper. Imagine having a random Nord NPC walk up to you and say "What are you, some kind of milk drinker? You should stop by the Crown Store and pick up a cool, refreshing Mead Bundle for only 500 crowns!"

No thank you.

Exactly. This is precisely what destroyed LoTRO for me. It was another game like ESO that had great immersion, great storytelling, and a monolithic IP. It was another game that put money ahead of content and polish. I hope Zenimax really takes a hard look at what people love about this game and try not to ruin it.
  • wraith808
    wraith808
    ✭✭✭✭
    bi·ased

This poll, dear sir, by definition is not biased. It is not misleading, it does not guide you. It is not telling in one way or the other what the OP stands for. Simple, direct.

I am not sure how you read this poll to be forceful, brief, yes... but not forceful so I am not sure where you are getting pithy statements from the poll itself.

You say you don't care, that isn't really having a different opinion. Its not having one. Again, if you don't care, then why would you wish to vote anyhow?

Pithy statements from your quote. Forceful? I never used that word, unless we're getting into a language situation. Not caring or does not matter is a stance. Just not one represented. Note that all of the ZOS polls that we received during beta had them. Because choosing not to care is a choice, and is included in a count of the respondents. If you don't include it, then those aren't included in your totals, and skew the results.
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bi·ased

Pithy statements from your quote. Forceful? I never used that word, unless we're getting into a language situation. Not caring or does not matter is a stance. Just not one represented. Note that all of the ZOS polls that we received during beta had them. Because choosing not to care is a choice, and is included in a count of the respondents. If you don't include it, then those aren't included in your totals, and skew the results.

Not always true. In this case, you can then just take the results and say, "of the people that care enough to answer, X% don't want it, and Y% do." Knowing how many people DON'T care in this situation is fairly useless, because there's no harm either way for those people. But of the people who do have a strong opinion on this (e.g., those who care enough to answer the poll), we can still form a very nice result from just these two answers.

You do not have to have a "don't care" option if just by not answering the poll you have put yourself into the don't care pool that can be tracked by ZOS.

Now, if you really want to get technical, then you could say that since he had the option space, he could have included options for 'strongly agree', 'agree', 'disagree', and 'strongly disagree' with ZOS including on-screen broadcast ads, but at that point, who really cares?
    Edited by Aett_Thorn on April 13, 2015 7:19PM
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bi·ased

Not caring gives ZOS license to do what they wish and extrapolate feedback to fit whatever their business needs or management directives command them. It therefore has no bearing in this poll. It's as useless as adding "I like pie." to the poll. It doesn't factor. You could morph this poll to be some Likert scale, but in the end you're either for this or not. If it doesn't matter to you either way, then that opinion is useless to illustrating discontent or complacent approval.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minimalistic interface because immersion.
    In-your-face crown store adds because money.

Internal consistency ftw.
  • Kelleton
    Kelleton
    ✭✭✭
    Are people actually voting it's acceptable... ? ... why ?

It's a business, it's their product that they need to monotize. Its how the world works.

This is such a minor thing, complaining about this should be the least of your worries.