Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Way too many pages to go through so sorry if this has already been said, To the OP, ZoS originally intended AOE to cap at 6 targets, period end of story. The mechanics got garbled and some are hitting infinite targets and gowing through walls by mistake. The only exception to this is any skill that specifically says "effect all targets within the area". ZoS isn't nerfing AOE, they're FIXING it so it works as originally intended.
  • Dorado
    Dorado
    No
    ZoS made a clarification announcement about AoE's. It ain't a good response gang. Forum post here.

Even though 90% of the poll in this thread said boo-hiss to AoE cap looks like they are gonna plow ahead anyways. Let the zerg blob wars begin! *stacks up*
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    DeLindsay wrote: »
    Way too many pages to go through so sorry if this has already been said, To the OP, ZoS originally intended AOE to cap at 6 targets, period end of story. The mechanics got garbled and some are hitting infinite targets and gowing through walls by mistake. The only exception to this is any skill that specifically says "effect all targets within the area". ZoS isn't nerfing AOE, they're FIXING it so it works as originally intended.

Please enlighten us then why they never bothered to state this anywhere and actually made sure people though there was no cap?
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Zargorius wrote: »

Please enlighten us then why they never bothered to state this anywhere and actually made sure people though there was no cap?

I don't work for ZoS so no way I could say why they do/did anything. I refer you to the link above that CLEARLY states from ZoS that the original intent was 6 targets.
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

I don't work for ZoS so no way I could say why they do/did anything. I refer you to the link above that CLEARLY states from ZoS that the original intent was 6 targets.

Well then maybe they should have bothered telling people that. Maybe they should have put in the horrible tooltips we have in game. But no, they just stay silent and try to sneak the change in the patch notes. This sends a very wrong messages and makes me really dread for the future of PvP in the game.
  • Bahriel
    Bahriel
    ✭✭
    No
    Alestair wrote: »
    I Voted yes. I bet "Most" who voted No are the Higher VETs who like to camp the bridge near allessia with a dragonknight,templar,sorc all vamps, Rooting/stunning/AOE'ing the whole faction.. LEL..

I am a DK, I will admit to that, but that is where the similarities end, I am 2H melee damage with some sutainability.
    My AoE is brawler, or corrosive armor which aren't there to kill people, but keep me alive, beyond that it's all focused on hitting hard against one single target, i am neither vampire nor werewolf, and my main damage comes from regular light and heavy attacks, as wella s sneak attacks.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Well then maybe they should have bothered telling people that. Maybe they should have put in the horrible tooltips we have in game. But no, they just stay silent and try to sneak the change in the patch notes. This sends a very wrong messages and makes me really dread for the future of PvP in the game.

Nah look at it this way, in PvP fixing the AOE to only effect a maximum of 6 targets means that the Vamp squads of death won't be as horrible anymore ;)
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No

Nah look at it this way, in PvP fixing the AOE to only effect a maximum of 6 targets means that the Vamp squads of death won't be as horrible anymore ;)

Yeah but soon the unstoppable zerg balls will be worse. Adjusting a skill or two seems better than a blanket mechanic change imo.
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:36PM
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No

As far as I'm aware Bat Swarm is already capped on Live.
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I hope everyone read the developers section of the forum as they explained there has ALWAYS been a cap and they explained it wrong in the patch notes? There will be no melt down? Literally like 5 abilities are changing and that's it? We can all calm down?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification#latest
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I do like the idea a fellow Guildee had when we read that ZoS post ourselves yesterday. He said they could look into making all AOE like a bomb. Anything standing dead center of the "circle of effect" gets maximum damage. The mobs/players standing farther away from the epicenter take less damage until the point that those on the edge of the AOE take minimal damage. They could still have it effect as many as are within the AOE but at differing degrees. This would encourage better tactics in PvP in that players would be forced not to clump up so densely or pay the price. Either way it's coming whether people like it or not since that was the original intent (6 target cap).
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I hope everyone read the developers section of the forum as they explained there has ALWAYS been a cap and they explained it wrong in the patch notes? There will be no melt down? Literally like 5 abilities are changing and that's it? We can all calm down?

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification#latest

That's not the point. People didn't know and were playing as if there was no cap. Now people know and will play exploiting the cap. It's very simple, it's called paradigm shift.
    If the cap was known from the start there would be no drama but less subs most probably.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No

Yeah everyone has read it. Once all the aoes are capped at 6 it will become gw2 blob vs blob. How hard is it to comprehend this is the issue people have? *** some of you people are dense. It's not "AP farmers" trying to exploit, it's not "fotm players" trying to keep their builds, it's people that have issues with this mechanic since GW2 and were very concerned about it leading up to launch in this game.
    Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:42PM
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yeah everyone has read it. Once all the aoes are capped at 6 it will become gw2 blob vs blob. How hard is it to comprehend this is the issue people have? *** some of you people are dense. It's not "AP farmers" trying to exploit, it's not "fotm players" trying to keep their builds, it's people that have issues with this mechanic since GW2 and were very concerned about it leading up to launch in this game.

Meh, ESO will survive even if a ton of people nerd rage and leave because they aren't OP anymore with AOE damage output. Right now PvE is the larger population of the game and it doesn't look like that'll change. The fix will happen, people will adjust how they PvP, life will go on and nobody will care within a few weeks of 1.1's launch.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Meh, ESO will survive even if a ton of people nerd rage and leave because they aren't OP anymore with AOE damage output. Right now PvE is the larger population of the game and it doesn't look like that'll change. The fix will happen, people will adjust how they PvP, life will go on and nobody will care within a few weeks of 1.1's launch.

There you go strawmanning again. It isn't about op builds, it's about the devolving of game play into blob vs. blob exploiting the aoe caps.

Also, "everyone may leave but ESO will survive" is not what most people, including the business owners want. lol

Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:50PM
  • Aeekto
    Aeekto
    Yes

Then use f**** sieges against those blobs.... this is not GW2 where blobs win, this is ESO where blobs are very easy to kill (if you understand "all" gamemechanics).
    There is a reason for sieges with different damagetypes.... learn what each does and combine them.
    You just need 3 coordinated sieges die wipe every entire blob in ESO.
    Edited by Aeekto on April 29, 2014 3:53PM
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I mean, if you could address the issue people are worried about which is the blob vs. blob stuff and let us know how it will be alleviated instead of making up straw men in response to every post that would be great.
  • Kypho
    Kypho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    No is for wow players
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The bigger blob wins (in PvP) is how war works. Eve Online is no different, WoW, Rift, etc, if you have overwhelming numbers on your side you are going to win, short of utter stupidity. Fixing a game mechanic to be what was originally intended by the developers will not break anything. Right now some AOE's even hit through walls, which is also a bug that they're working on fixing. In the end it'll be fine and everyone will get over it, or move on if it just breaks their heart.
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    No
    So much misinformation. Taking bets on how long we make before the first "all AvA is is zerg vs zerg and blobbing" complaints. I'm gonna say... 4 days after the patch goes live.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    The bigger blob wins (in PvP) is how war works. Eve Online is no different, WoW, Rift, etc, if you have overwhelming numbers on your side you are going to win, short of utter stupidity. Fixing a game mechanic to be what was originally intended by the developers will not break anything. Right now some AOE's even hit through walls, which is also a bug that they're working on fixing. In the end it'll be fine and everyone will get over it, or move on if it just breaks their heart.

You just picked a bunch of games with horrible pvp sans possibly Eve. Now, look at the game most people call the best pvp game to date. DAOC. The ability for smaller groups to beat bigger groups was a staple. Didn't some game that just released say they were trying to copy DAOC pvp? Oh yeah, and the devs of this game even stated they want smaller groups to be competitive vs. bigger groups so there's that.

PvP based on numbers is horrible.

At least we're on point now though instead of arguing about stuff you make up in your head.

Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 3:57PM
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I'm just gonna put those here again to remind you guys:

http://www.twitch.tv/prydatv/c/4091868
    This video is pretty much GW2 all over again, you think siege is gonna break a zerg? Think again, sige is so *** against a mobile blob it just gets rushed/ignored once put down. This is GW2 organized guild vs a pug zerg twice the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o
    This video is "setup", setup in a way to show how turtling is effective, in a 20vs20 you can simply stand still spamming AoE heal and damage until your healers run out of magicka and everyone dies a horrible death.

You think this type of blobbing is fun? GG, go play GW2 and tell me how long will you stand the "numbers game", how long can you stand being wiped over and over just because you had lesser numbers, I remember how many days my guild decided to end the prime time earlier because we didn't have neough people to go against the enemy blob. I can count on my fingers of one hand the number of guilds that had "skill" and those were the ultra hardcore guilds, the skill cap with turtling is really low, honestly how can you consider this "skill" if all you do is spam heals and damage all day?

AoE cap allows you to outheal all damage until your healers run out of magicka, thats what encourages turtling, until you die faster clumped up than spread out you will see turtling all around. You want to turtle? Go play GW2, let this game be something better and different, let this game really live up to it's name of "spiritual successor" of DAoC.
    Edited by RaZaddha on April 29, 2014 4:30PM
  • Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    Kypho wrote: »
    No is for wow players

Actually its the opposite bud, since WoW has had an aoe cap for years.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    A mod just informed me that quoting someone on this public poll is against the forum rules of "naming and shaming" so you might want to refrain from quoting people who voted. we dont want to "shame" anyone with their own words.
  • Asava
    Asava
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Then I guess we need to petition ZOS to double or triple the AoE damage then to counter the blob heal packs.
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Well, hopefully the tiny minority (10% vs 90%) that wants to exploit AoE cap to cheat won't get their way after ZOS sees how ridiculously bad the stacking exploits are, and how they ruin PvP overnight.

Not holding my breath though, given they're also taking other *HORRIBLE* "features" from GW2 - namely diminishing return lockouts.
  • IchAxel
    IchAxel
    Soul Shriven
    No
    I dont see the need of such a mechanic.

I think introducing it will destroy the gameplay.
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    At least in your poll result give the number to yes and no
    Should be an AOE cap ? Yes 12 % No 88%
    Would the new AE cap affect your decision to play ESO? Yes 56% No 43 %
This discussion has been closed.