Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    No
    SirAndy wrote: »
    It's amazing how many need the obvious spelled out for them explicitly.
    It's amazing how many people can play a game for weeks or even months and not realize how some of the most basic functionality works.

Y'all must be really confused right about now ... ;-)

Specially when some of the skills clearly didn't have a cap and how theres no feedback aside from specific mods that allows you to see how many enemies you are actually hitting...
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    and how theres no feedback aside from specific mods that allows you to see how many enemies you are actually hitting...
    @RaZaddha
    Open your eyes much? Throw an AoE healing on a large group of people and watch the actual graphical animation of who gets healed.
    Count.

I know, the horror, counting all by yourself without the help of an AddOn?
    confused24.gif
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Which Healing? Because if you throw a hot it'll hit multiple people each time you cast it....

And there isn't even damage spam without a Mod

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which Healing? Because if you throw a hot it'll hit multiple people each time you cast it....
    Resto staff, forget what the basic AoE is called. Yellow circle around a whole bunch of people, like at the bank. Cast once, count effects displayed, voila, you have a number.
    ;-)
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Resto staff, forget what the basic AoE is called. Yellow circle around a whole bunch of people, like at the bank. Cast once, count effects displayed, voila, you have a number.
    ;-)

Which you can't see unless ya have a Mod

• prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Looks like we're just going to have to watch it happen for these people who must not have played GW2 to experience the staleness. Every one keeps strawmanning this into "omg you like killing 50000 people with ur leet aoez!!" and it's not that at all. It's meta - game and smarter players than you will have their groups stack up and mitigate aoe. Their healers will hide behind the people so you can't target them and they will heal through anything you put at them unless you have bigger numbers. It's amazing the ignorance going on here. Hey, I am only level 20, I'll give it one more month.
  • razalom
    razalom
    No
    Well time to change my 6 month sub down to a 1 month sub to see how this one plays out. Silly move ZoS
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No

How fun and skillfull it is to just sit back and spam one skill and expect a zerg to die. Oh wait, isn't that what you guys are complaining? That one guy can walk around and AoE you to death with one skill?

OMG this is maddening. Even the devs have stated that the ease of all classes to get any skill is what will help balance in this game. Your group of however much bigger the effin' zerg is has the same skill options. l2play ffs! I know I know you need to watch the last half of House while waiting following the zerg for AP so you need a warning when a small group jumps you.

Edited by prana33b14_ESO on April 29, 2014 4:28AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ;-)
    @xsorusb14_ESO
    What the heck are you talking about?
    A mod for seeing visual effects? A mod for seeing a yellow circle for your AoE? A mod for counting visual effects?

Whatever you're smoking, i want some?
    :D
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    No
    and how theres no feedback aside from specific mods that allows you to see how many enemies you are actually hitting...
    @RaZaddha
    Open your eyes much? Throw an AoE healing on a large group of people and watch the actual graphical animation of who gets healed.
    Count.

I know, the horror, counting all by yourself without the help of an AddOn?
    confused24.gif

ಠ_ಠ
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that whenever I lit the ground on fire it was supposed to burn everyone on it and not something like "oh, I burned 6 people already, I can't burn anyone else". I already stated this, some abilities didn't have a cap, and that was clearly visible, why would I think there was a cap? When in PVE did you gather 7+ mobs and aoe'd them just to notice you weren't hitting them all? When in PvP did you AoE 7+ players all by yourself and noticed that you didn't hit them all? Where is the guide or dev before this news stating that there was an AoE cap? If even Atropos of TF didn't knew that before hand how do you expect the common player without testing specifically the AoE to notice this?
  • RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    No

How fun and skillfull it is to just sit back and spam one skill and expect a zerg to die. Oh wait, isn't that what you guys are complaining? That one guy can walk around and AoE you to death with one skill?

OMG this is maddening. Even the devs have stated that the ease of all classes to get any skill is what will help balance in this game. Your group of however much bigger the effin' zerg is has the same skill options. l2play ffs! I know I know you need to watch the last half of House while waiting following the zerg for AP so you need a warning when a small group jumps you.

I was being sarcastic on that statement, sorry that I wasn't clear enough. I was actually talking about sitting back on siege and pressing one button and expect the zerg to die.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would I think there was a cap?
    @RaZaddha
    Because it was always there and the few effects that weren't capped were clearly noted by ZOS as being BUGGED. Doesn't anyone read (leaked PTS) patch notes anymore?

And yes, i guess i'm one of those weird people that actually looks at how many in a mob are effected by my AoE. And yes, i also know how to count visual effects on my monitor without using an AddOn.
    :)
    Edited by SirAndy on April 29, 2014 4:43AM
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ;-)
    i guess you are referring to the allmighty spell cues? (because other way you would need a addon)
    well your exaple is a prime example for its utter uselessnes.
    due to the mechanic of that paticular hot it can be applied to 18 people (cast it and 6 people are effected if they are leaving the circle for 6others - 2. tic 12 people affected - leaving the circle again for another 6 people- tada 18 people with cues that are actually affected even though you have a 6 person cap...) that effect can be easily used by simply moving your turtle blop arround.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• RaZaddha
    RaZaddha
    ✭✭✭
    No
    why would I think there was a cap?
    @RaZaddha
    Because it was always there and the few effects that weren't capped were clearly noted by ZOS as being BUGGED. Doesn't anyone read (leaked PTS) patch notes anymore?

And yes, i guess i'm one of those weird people that actually looks at how many in a mob are effected by my AoE. And yes, i also know how to count visual effects on my monitor without using an AddOn.
    :)

Where does it says that those skills were bugged before the patch notes from v1.1? Where does a guide or dev says theres a cap on AoE?
    You rarely get 7+ enemies on normal leveling, if you do, you die, unless you are mob farming, but then you are not really paying attention on how many mobs you are hitting.
    You need to be lucky to be able to hit 7+ players on Cyrodiil while they have neough health for you to notice you are not hitting them all, you might also be too busy full of adrenaline fighitng to notice this.
    Again, you would only notice this if you were testing for it specifically, but we already knew how some skills already didn't have a cap, there was no point in testing this if you heard there was no cap.
    If you knew this why didn't you say so before? Why I have never heard there was a cap before? Why didn't anyone say anything about this? This is such a big thing and people asked multiple times to the devs about this and never got a straight answer. When people got into the game some used a standard and saw everyone die under the standard, so they thought "hey no AoE cap" and the word spread.
    Edited by RaZaddha on April 29, 2014 4:53AM
  • MrAmadeus
    MrAmadeus
    ✭✭
    No
    Avaery wrote: »
    So basically this affects healers too? What use is a healer that can't reliably heal the people that need it most? The server selects 6 randoms in range to receive heals if there is a cluster of players in your AOE? What of 12 man group content if you cap AOE abilities to affect only 6 players? Buffs and heals wont cover the whole party?

Grand healing have allways had a cap of max 6 targets so far I have tested, and the healing skills of the resto staff in general state af max hit target for thr rest :-) not sure about templar, but I do think thats the same case :-)

• Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    ;-)
    @xsorusb14_ESO
    What the heck are you talking about?
    A mod for seeing visual effects? A mod for seeing a yellow circle for your AoE? A mod for counting visual effects?

Whatever you're smoking, i want some?
    :D

The Visual Effect for healing is so minor that you wouldn't be able to keep track with it at all in this game without an indicator. Hence why it wasn't noticed at all on Heals... even despite a having a Mod that SHOWs how many people its hitting.

• Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    All of this for only those skill :
    The following abilities had a higher max limit than six, and have been fixed to be in-line with all other area-of-effect abilities:

Consuming Darkness (Nightblade)
    Dragonknight Standard (Dragonknight)
    Negate Magic (Sorcerer)
    Scalding Rune (Fire Rune Morph - Mages Guild)
    Soul Shatter (Soul Magic)
    So Zeni have decided they continue in their way.
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Anyone else looking forward to Cyrodiil post-patch for how lulzy it will be to watch it devolve into a couple of groups of stacking exploiters fighting back and forth?

That will definitely make up for the removal of all positioning, tactics and strategy in PvP. /s
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Anyone else looking forward to Cyrodiil post-patch for how lulzy it will be to watch it devolve into a couple of groups of stacking exploiters fighting back and forth?

That will definitely make up for the removal of all positioning, tactics and strategy in PvP. /s

Do ppl even realise the real difference between pre and post patch ?
    2 damage AOE, on all the skill in the game : 2 and not event those used by bombers to blow zerg.
  • UncleShags
    No
    The new ZOS reveal that most aoes currently have caps in no way counters the argument that aoe caps are bad for large scale pvp.

Zerg busting aoes still exist on live. However OP they may be in their current form, aoes without caps perform the function of punishing the zerg blob, so of course people use them.

Once they are gone non-blob pvp will soon follow.
  • Tar000un
    Tar000un
    ✭✭
    No
    STOP the blob. Start roaming and enjoy the ambush !
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    UncleShags wrote: »
    The new ZOS reveal that most aoes currently have caps in no way counters the argument that aoe caps are bad for large scale pvp.
    Zerg busting aoes still exist on live. However OP they may be in their current form, aoes without caps perform the function of punishing the zerg blob, so of course people use them.

Zerg busting aoe are already capped and bombers perform to blow zerg.

• lucderidderb16_ESO
    lucderidderb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Cap in favor of zerg.
    Will unsub.
  • fabsley
    fabsley
    No
    Zolyok wrote: »
    The following abilities had a higher max limit than six, and have been fixed to be in-line with all other area-of-effect abilities:

Negate Magic (Sorcerer)

where did you get this from?
    and nice, no word of bat swarm - which also hits more than 6 targets
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    fabsley wrote: »

Negate Magic (Sorcerer)

where did you get this from?
    and nice, no word of bat swarm - which also hits more than 6 targets

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification/p1
    Edited by Zolyok on April 29, 2014 7:53AM
  • Kraun
    Kraun
    ✭✭
    No
    AoE cap destroyed any resemblance GW2 had of organized mass-pvp / AVA, so if this pulls through, it'll happen here and people will leave in droves. uncapped AoE is the single best tool against zergs, take that away, it's zergfest 99.9% of the times from hence forth (and no serious pvp'er likes zerging).
    Edited by Kraun on April 29, 2014 8:03AM
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, there should not be a cap to AoE. What you should do Zenimax is tell the Turd Herd (Zerg) that they're like a wild pack of donkeys after that last spot of grass and it's hysterical to watch a bunch of mindless donkeys do the dirt kiss before they rage on the forums. Newsflash Donkey Zerglings, you're going to play like a jackass you're going to get dropped like one too.

All these things that cause massive AoE aren't the problem. Most of the time in MMO's it's the players fault.

Show me a build in this game that lacks a hard counter, because there isn't such a thing. What I'm tired of is people running one build without substitute skills for certain situations and not quiet being able to turn on the Lightbulb of Bright-Ideas.

To the whiners and complainers, stop ruining everything you breathe on; because you turn everything to donkey dung.
  • UncleShags
    No

No. There are several abilities that have no caps. ZOS is planning on capping them in the next patch. That's what this is all about.

• Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

No. There are several abilities that have no caps. ZOS is planning on capping them in the next patch. That's what this is all about.

I know and i know wich abilities will be capped

Negate Magic (Sorcerer)

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification/p1

Not as many change as expected ....
    Edited by Zolyok on April 29, 2014 8:25AM
  • Mephane
    Mephane
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Not as many change as expected ....

I will just quote myself from the other thread:
    Mephane wrote: »
    Seriously the game changed so much for a difference of 2 damage aoe ?
    If ppl can't realise that the only noticable difference is that now they know...
    If ppl will play mindless blob it's only because they choose to.

No, the game changes because before this entire issue came up, there was the general assumption that AoE skills were uncapped unless specified otherwise (e.g. those "heal yourself and up to two targets"). Players behaved accordingly, assuming that AoE is uncapped, and therefore you cannot glob up in a zergball. The limited feedback of the ingame UI did its own part in masking the already existing AoE caps.

The game was played as if caps were in place. Since people did naturally spread out, they did hardly have the chance to notice the absence of caps. But now the cat is out of the bag, Zenimax effectively added AoE caps to the metagame by introducing the very knowledge of their existence.
    Edited by Mephane on April 29, 2014 8:28AM
    - Bosmer Nightblade Archer -
This discussion has been closed.