Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• savak
    savak
    ✭✭
    Yes
    It'll be funny to see how many of the posters here will actually quit once the patch kicks in. My bet is most will keep playing because even with the changes to a couple of abilities that ZOS are saying are bugged, the game is still better than any alternative out there.
  • Kiash
    Kiash
    ✭✭✭
    No
    savak wrote: »
    It'll be funny to see how many of the posters here will actually quit once the patch kicks in. My bet is most will keep playing because even with the changes to a couple of abilities that ZOS are saying are bugged, the game is still better than any alternative out there.

With this change, AvA will just become a GW2 WvW clone. Not interested in cheating/exploit stacking.
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    savak wrote: »

Amusingly @savak, I totally agree that the game is better than any other MMORPG alternatives, even with broken AoE abilities and constant exploiting in PvP via stacking/turtling.
  • heartunseen
    heartunseen
    Soul Shriven
    No
    Well, since new information became available that, indeed, many skills have caps already, I thought about this some more. No, I probably would not change my vote if I could -- the problem persists that the Mighty Zergball of Death most likely will ruin the PvP experience for quite a few people.

I find this all a bit strange. People have been testing this game for quite a while and some have been talking about how nice it was to have no cap on AoE skills. Why on Tamriel didn't the devs correct this viewpoint from the get-go? I do take issue, to some extent at least, with the very limited information available about certain mechanics in this game. I like figuring stuff out, but making me figure out on my own how many targets exactly each of my skills hit instead of providing me with this information has nothing to do with providing a challenge. Especially when I cannot assume that, because one AoE hits X targets, the M.O. for every other AoE will be the same.
    In the same vein: What is Finesse, huh?
    There's a lot of undocumented stuff in this game and I really do think the devs could do a better job of providing essential or simply interesting information. I get wanting to be old school and not having to design dungeons etc. with the fact in mind that every little step will be analyzed and guides written and challenges will have to be provided through other means. But there's a line, and not everything needs to be left undocumented.

The apparent, let's call it misinformation did create a situation that seemed to have been good for PvP, since people thought there were no AoE caps and therefore more took care to move out of AoE (unless they were the rather mindless sort of player that never moves out of anything and does enjoy simply rolling with the zerg).
    No that the cat is out of the bag, though...

TL;DR: No, that caps already existed won't make me change my mind -- I still think they're a bad idea for PvP. But the more annoying issue is now how lacking the flow of information/correction/confirmation seems to be.
    Edited by heartunseen on April 28, 2014 5:07PM
  • Rydik
    Rydik
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I dont want stupid GW2 stacking again! So no!
    Edited by Rydik on April 28, 2014 5:15PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Why do people keep stating there is a cap? There is a cap for some of the abilities yes, however the abilities a vast majority of players are using right now to wipe zergs don't have a cap

for DK, for example.. Dark Talons/Standard/Inhale don't have caps..
    I believe Impulse doesn't have a cap either (I've not checked)
    Templars have Burning Spear I believe it is, no cap there...

however just based on video's people have posted, that it really doesn't matter because none of those abilities i listed can do enough damage to stop a Zerg Ball it seems.
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    AoE Caps Enable Cheating:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o
  • Vampiresbane
    Vampiresbane
    ✭✭
    No
    So there's 3 ways to make pvp fun for small groups when they outsmart or outplay large groups or zergs:
    #1 Collision detection to help take advantage of choke points.
    #2 AoE with unlimited targets.
    #3 Coordinated crowd control.

ESO already doesn't have #1. Looks like we'll be losing #2 soon. #3 isn't that great tbh.

Don't lose #2. It's the best thing you have over games like GW2.

At any rate...Camelot Unchained (http://camelotunchained.com/en/foundational-principles/) is looking REAL nice right about now.
  • thelg
    thelg
    ✭✭✭
    No
    It is not even about small group taking zerg. It is about zergs having to fight in Stacks. It is absolutely terrible experience for everyone involved.

Because if you do not stack you WILL lose by default.
  • Bramir
    Bramir
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Just fix the vamp abilities that are broken...messing with anything else to fix them is just weird. Class abilities have to be tweaked all the time in games like this...why the resistance?
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Most, if not all, damage abilities at present have no AoE cap at all.

If anything is capped in this game, it just flat out CAN NOT be damaging abilities. Those are the only counters that exist to stacking up in a ball. Limiting the damage that AoE abilities can do to a VERY small cap of people in 6, and it will be Turtle Wars Online.

Many abilities that provide benefits to the caster, especially healing, per target hit can be balanced so that the healing or armor or damage buffs that those abilities give are limited to hitting only 6 players, BUT the damage on the ability has to be completely uncapped or this game will become awful.

Yeah, I will unsub. Not going to pay 15 dollars a month for Guild Wars 2 1/2.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • Zintair
    Zintair
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    RivenVII wrote: »
    Most, if not all, damage abilities at present have no AoE cap at all.

If anything is capped in this game, it just flat out CAN NOT be damaging abilities. Those are the only counters that exist to stacking up in a ball. Limiting the damage that AoE abilities can do to a VERY small cap of people in 6, and it will be Turtle Wars Online.

Many abilities that provide benefits to the caster, especially healing, per target hit can be balanced so that the healing or armor or damage buffs that those abilities give are limited to hitting only 6 players, BUT the damage on the ability has to be completely uncapped or this game will become awful.

Yeah, I will unsub. Not going to pay 15 dollars a month for Guild Wars 2 1/2.

All ZoS needs to do is a few things and PvP will be in MUCH better shape.

1.) Remove Ultimate reduction gear
    2.) Remove ability to generate Ultimate while Ultimate is active
    3.) Add Soft CC DR immunity for 2-5 secs.

This solves Bat Swarm/DK Standard issue and fixes Talons without nerfing it.

@ZoS please look into this. The abilities are not the issue it is the mechanics that power them and the ability to manipulate them via methods you have put into the game.

People see Bat Swarm and cry bloody murder but it isn't Bat Swarm that is the REAL problem here it's the ability to SPAM Ultimates.

Couldn't be more easy to see.
    Vokundein
    Zintair aka Primetime - VR14 - Guild Leader and PvP Dept Leader

www.Legend-Gaming.net
  • RivenEsq
    RivenEsq
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    ^ Strongly Agree.
    Cheers,
    Ryan "RivenEsq" Reynolds
    CEO & Founder of [KG] Knight Gaming
    @RivenEsq
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    When stacking people becomes the preferred AoE counter over spreading out, you have created a problem. I do think that some abilities need to be addressed individually though.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • Mothanos
    Mothanos
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If this realy turns out as it is in GW2 with the alrady horrible healing mechanics then i see many people moving on to the next best thing in an eyeblink...
    I agree that some AoE are absurd, to the point being broken.
    But this might be the death of smaller groups taking on bigger zergs...

Cant realy place a verdict untill i have some expirience with this change, but if it is the same as in GW2 then woaw.......no words can discribe the failure that is GW2 WvW :(

+ i hope the exp gains are significantly increased so we can actualy have fun and level up in pvp.
    + The quest grind is getting riduclous at V3+
    + But thats a whole diffrent beast wich needs his own topic :)

• ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    When stacking people becomes the preferred AoE counter over spreading out, you have created a problem. I do think that some abilities need to be addressed individually though.
    Agreed.

Stacking like that to be invulnerable is also an exploit, and thus cheating.

AoE caps directly enable cheating.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification#latest

rofl....

Inhale/Burning Talons don't have cap
    Burning Spear Doesn't have a cap
    the ultimate heal for restro doesn't have a cap

I'm sure there are others... But it seems to me, That they have a lot of abilities with no caps.

That just so happen to be the abilities that people are using to wipe zergs, So now they're nerfing those abilities.
  • Michaeas
    Michaeas
    Soul Shriven
    No
    This idea has been implemented before and always with HORRIBLE results. Is there anyone at ZOS that actually plays or has any information at all about other MMORPGs out there besides their own? I realize that being an Elder Scrolls title not all examples in other games are going fit with their vision for this one but honestly I am starting to believe that no one at the company has ever read, played, or done any research with regards to any other MMORPG.

Thanks.
    It's as I have always said, "You can get more results with a kind word and a big stick, than you can with merely a kind word."
  • Zargorius
    Zargorius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/89420/area-of-effect-abilities-maximum-target-cap-clarification#latest

rofl....

Inhale/Burning Talons don't have cap
    Burning Spear Doesn't have a cap
    the ultimate heal for restro doesn't have a cap

I'm sure there are others... But it seems to me, That they have a lot of abilities with no caps.

That just so happen to be the abilities that people are using to wipe zergs, So now they're nerfing those abilities.

Time to stock on those ballistae guys.
    Honor is a dead man's code.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    RaZaddha wrote: »
    Your post is stupid, you do realize that the only way to fight a ZERG in PvP with this AoE cap is for EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE to have nothing but AoE..

I always thought that stupid is...

...Tearing your shirt off and going around screaming that the world is going to end because a certain change is going to happen...

...And then get the confirmation the game has always been like this.

This only gives a way to evaluate most of the "feedback" we are seeing in this thread:

Ppl that have no clue on how the game is already working and that fabricate what could happen based on what 1 or 2 persons say...

...This entire thread is just a memee chorus of ppl singing the song some persons teached them.

In fact, this is preccissely what should encourage to extend the CAP to broken AOE skills and should serve any1 to spot which players are really expecting to see a change on their gameplay and why they complain.

The rest of the "zerg vs AOE" analysis/complains, etc... Come from the usual suspects... The ones that on a given combat system have the option to do DPS outside AOE...

...Which simply turns this into our old friend "ranged vs melee" debate.

EDIT: I just hope ESO Devs have learned a valuable lesson on why "feedback" coming from a certain type of player has to be taken with...

...A truckload of salt ;).

PEOPLE.DIDN'T.KNEW. There was a cap. I didn't think there was a cap, my friends didn't, my guild didn't, nobody that I knew thougth there was a cap, when they said there was a cap already and a video showed confirmation of this we said a colossal "WTF?"
    Nobody is saying theres no cap anymore aside from a few uninformed, what we want is no caps because THIS:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o

Is ALREADY happening, this is on LIVE, not PTS, the turtling is starting, now that the population knows theres a cap the strategy will change and every organized guild will start to turtle, because their chances to stay alive longer increase the closer they are to each other.

Now, if we want to fight in the open field siege will be mandatory? The clunky slow as a snail siege that unless on a choke point is basically a sitting duck? Good luck with Elder Siege Online...

You can use this "turtle" tactic if there is an AoE cap or not

Without a cap its even worse since you can kill more.with your spams.
    Edited by moXrox on April 28, 2014 9:44PM
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    moXrox wrote: »
    Your post is stupid, you do realize that the only way to fight a ZERG in PvP with this AoE cap is for EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE to have nothing but AoE..

...Tearing your shirt off and going around screaming that the world is going to end because a certain change is going to happen...

This only gives a way to evaluate most of the "feedback" we are seeing in this thread:

Ppl that have no clue on how the game is already working and that fabricate what could happen based on what 1 or 2 persons say...

...This entire thread is just a memee chorus of ppl singing the song some persons teached them.

In fact, this is preccissely what should encourage to extend the CAP to broken AOE skills and should serve any1 to spot which players are really expecting to see a change on their gameplay and why they complain.

The rest of the "zerg vs AOE" analysis/complains, etc... Come from the usual suspects... The ones that on a given combat system have the option to do DPS outside AOE...

EDIT: I just hope ESO Devs have learned a valuable lesson on why "feedback" coming from a certain type of player has to be taken with...

PEOPLE.DIDN'T.KNEW. There was a cap. I didn't think there was a cap, my friends didn't, my guild didn't, nobody that I knew thougth there was a cap, when they said there was a cap already and a video showed confirmation of this we said a colossal "WTF?"
    Nobody is saying theres no cap anymore aside from a few uninformed, what we want is no caps because THIS:

Is ALREADY happening, this is on LIVE, not PTS, the turtling is starting, now that the population knows theres a cap the strategy will change and every organized guild will start to turtle, because their chances to stay alive longer increase the closer they are to each other.

Now, if we want to fight in the open field siege will be mandatory? The clunky slow as a snail siege that unless on a choke point is basically a sitting duck? Good luck with Elder Siege Online...

Ummm... no...

You can't turtle if there is no AoE cap....

Arrow Carts in GW2, and Pretty much every AoE in Dark Age of Camelot proves you can't turtle without a cap.

• valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Mykah wrote: »
    Jackiepvp wrote: »
    Pryda wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o&hd=1

Future of the game if you don't change this cap to 6 targets.

Oh look... a GW2 video.. oh i mean ESO video

How nice..

This is what GW2 looks like right now with its caps

Thanks ZoS for making this game into a giant turd like GW2

And that.. is right now in live with a few unlimited AoE skills flying about. Once those skills also become capped.. our raid will be immortal to anything, assuming we are still subbed that is.
    How would your little turtle raid strat do against 6 ballistas fired together?

Oh thats right, youd spread out or get one shotted.

Sorcs and DKs are pretending they should be ballistas on steroids and that makes the game "skill based".

There are AE caps on skills for a reason. There are siege weapons available to all classes and builds for a reason.

I can't believe your still talking about ballista's... You do know ballista's can't shoot everywhere right?
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There is nothing skill based about running into 100 players spamming 3 abilities and expecting to "skillfully" land 300 attacks every 5 seconds, that is what siege weapons are for. Note that siege weapons are stationary, require defense to hold, and can only be fired once every few seconds. Compare that to Sorc and DK AE which is mobile and spammable and clearly there is a balance issue.

Also I hear a lot of talk about how this will only help the zerg, it will destroy skill, ect ect. Ask yourselves, what about skill in a zerg vs zerg situation, (the MAJORITY of sieging going on in game) What kind of zerg did unlimited AE foster in the uncapped system? I'll tell you, it made stacking DK Sorc Vamps with a few Templar heal bots the end all be all makeup for any group size.

120v200 the AE spam makeup wins.
    60v100 the AE spam makeup wins.
    40v80 the AE spam makeup wins.
    20v40 the AE spam makeup wins.
    8v16 the AE spam makeup wins.
    6v12 the AE spam makeup wins.

You guys seriously support this?

THIS is why they have an AE cap, its not to make sure the zerg crushes the little guy, its to make sure that different classes and builds are all viable in massive pvp. The vocal minority on this forum crying at the top of their little lungs are kidding themselves if they think its "skill" that was letting them nullify the efforts of a force five times their size, it was AE mechanics shredding through under-leveled players in mass that let them do it.

Pressing 1 button and directly damaging 100 other people is rediculous in a game where other builds can only damage one person at a time. This is not just a "leet small group" vs "nub zerg" issue, it is a zerg vs zerg issue, its a 12v12 issue, its a 6v12 issue. Its about creating a balance between all playstyles regardless of the numbers involved. Step back and look at the big picture here, the entire game does not revolve around you Sorc or DK ae spam, nor should it.

Its also funny these QQers havent touched this post because it cuts to the very core of the issue of WHY there needs to be a AE cap, CLASS BALANCE.

They are too busy screaming about the evil nub zerg trying to defend their 1 dimensional playstyle from being brought into line with all the other builds to see the big picture, this game was not built around your DK Sorc AE damage spam, get over yourselves.

Um I did, but you ignored it like you did 90% of everyone else that shot your trolling remarks down.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Ummm... no...

Arrow Carts in GW2, and Pretty much every AoE in Dark Age of Camelot proves you can't turtle without a cap.

Why not, who will stop you to organize a group who will just spam AoE ?
    Edited by moXrox on April 28, 2014 10:07PM
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • ChairGraveyard
    ChairGraveyard
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    AoE Caps Enable Cheating

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0hyK9tLzG5o

AoE Caps Enable Cheating
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Ummm... no...

Why can't you turtle if No AoE cap is present? Cause the second you do turtle, you get AoEd down..Sure you can try spamming your own AoE... but that doesn't work so well if people AoEing on top of your position and they're spread out....

Its why no one ever did it in DAOC.....I mean completely ignoring PBAE effects, I could wipe your entire zerg with AOE Spears from my Runemaster

in GW2, you can turtle, right until someone throws down 3 superior arrow carts, which have something like a 50 person cap I believe it is, and then proceed to just spam it right ontop of your position over and over again.

If those Siege Weapons in GW2 didn't exist, there would be virtually nothing you could do to stop a Turtle Ball. In ESO...you can try building some siege, but the siege in this game pales in comparison to siege in GW2...for example, the Fire Damage Ballista, does very poor damage, and its dot can be cured by Templars.... and it has a very long reload timer...

Edited by Xsorus on April 28, 2014 10:42PM
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭

Ummm... no...

Why can't you turtle if No AoE cap is present? Cause the second you do turtle, you get AoEd down..Sure you can try spamming your own AoE... but that doesn't work so well if people AoEing on top of your position and they're spread out....

Its why no one ever did it in DAOC.....I mean completely ignoring PBAE effects, I could wipe your entire zerg with AOE Spears from my Runemaster

I'm going to have to call you on this. You were not going to wipe a Zerg with the Odin's Hatred aoe. You'd be out of mana before you killed anyone by yourself and any secondary healer could easily out heal that lines damage from a single caster. You could however add pressure with it once the CC is broken. The only spells with Zerg wiping potential were the pbaoes and unless you had a good aoe mez, aoe stun, or a high level of MoC no single pbaoer would do that either. Daoc's caster interrupt system saw to that.

Oh my daoc creditials just incase you say I don't know what I'm talking about.
    RR 9 mentalist.
    RR 6 champion
    RR 7 bard
    RR 9 shadowblade
    RR 7 runemasterRunemaster.
    Edited by Feidam on April 28, 2014 10:52PM
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Feidam wrote: »

Ummm... no...

I'm going to have to call you on this. You were not going to wipe a Zerg with the Odin's Hatred aoe. You'd be out of mana before you killed anyone by yourself and any secondary healer could easily out heal that lines damage from a single caster. You could however add pressure with it once the CC is broken. The only spells with Zerg wiping potential were the pbaoes and unless you had a good aoe mez, aoe stun, or a high level of MoC no single pbaoer would do that either. Daoc's caster interrupt system saw to that.

Oh my daoc creditials just incase you say I don't know what I'm talking about.
    RR 9 mentalist.
    RR 6 champion
    RR 7 bard
    RR 9 shadowblade
    RR 7 runemasterRunemaster.

as someone with a Rank 9 Darkcarver Runemaster, you most certainly could wipe a zerg with Odin's Hatred AoE if they didn't spread

i know..Because i did it all the time

PBAE did do it faster though

• Longstride
    Longstride
    ✭✭✭
    No
    This is the single greatest disappointing decision I have seen from the folks at ZOS. I am a big fan of PvE, but in a game with such a PvP focus, you can NOT nerf skills simply because it makes your PvE easier. Re-evaluate your raids, not AoE mechanics as a whole. Perhaps some radius reduction is a valid option, but if this goes to live I can guarantee Cyrodiil will suffer. PvP is the crowned jewel of ESO. It is a spiritual successor to DAoC and the sole reason allot of us play the game. Please reevaluate this change!
This discussion has been closed.