Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think there should be an AoE cap?

• Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    Mykah wrote: »
    Denial of the obvious. The title of this guys video is "How to defend a keep with 3 people"

Clearly him and the other VR Sorc are what destroyed that group of 30 people.

A Vr10 Destro Staff Sorc Vampire spamming pulsar and batswarm, what an amazing and skill based strategy.

Lol wake up kids.

So basically, your willing to sacrifice the overall game AOE mechanics of this game for one OP skill (Bat swarm)? Think its you that needs to wake up and think outside the box. Pulsar is nothing in PvP unless your Emp or Vamp (until BS alone gets nerfed), and if you think otherwise someone needs to do more observing in Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Razeo on April 27, 2014 5:45PM
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxyNKATs2s

notice how everyone who's not mezzed are running in every single direction away from that clump? That's what you're suppose to be doing when you get aoed

I especially like the comments:

"Lots of skill to skill AFK people."
    etc.
    etc.

Here it would be:

"ZomG I died in a zerg by an 8 man bomb group while I was checking my inventory, NERF STUFF!!!"
  • Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BxyNKATs2s

notice how everyone who's not mezzed are running in every single direction away from that clump? That's what you're suppose to be doing when you get aoed

I especially like the comments:

"Lots of skill to skill AFK people."
    etc.
    etc.

Here it would be:

"ZomG I died in a zerg by an 8 man bomb group while I was checking my inventory, NERF STUFF!!!"

That's one of the things that made DAoC so memorable, you can slaughter the people who didn't think ahead and not paying attention to their surroundings in droves. The people who voted YES on this poll however think otherwise.
    Edited by Razeo on April 27, 2014 5:50PM
  • Gaettusk
    Gaettusk
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If it becomes like GW2, I'm not subbing anymore
  • terran18
    terran18
    No
    Stupid idea, if only because when using grand healing the person really needing it might get skipped over.

On top of that batswarm is the real problem fix it not nerf the whole system.

If this happens this game is ftp in a year.
  • deepnessb16_ESO
    Yes
    AoE cap is necessary. If not for an AoE cap, a moderate group of players could instantly wipe a zerg of almost any size. There would be no more RvR, only first hits. Dtealth bomber groups sneaking inside enemy zergs were the biggest meta.

AoE cap needs to happen.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Jessica Folsom_ESO : "We're working on pulling together a list of the impacted abilities. We'll likely have it tomorrow or Monday. That said, this only impacts a handful of area-of-effect abilities that did not already have a cap. Almost every area-of-effect ability in ESO already has a cap on the live server. This is not a sweeping change to all area-of-effect abilities."

... so you SEE this poll and the massive community outrage, yet you are doubling down and continuing with this change, because who cares what 90% of your playerbase wants, right?

180 day sub cancelled, and dont even blame the massive sub drop on "free month subs" because that wasnt what killed it.
  • Pryda
    Pryda
    ✭✭
    No
    AoE cap is necessary. If not for an AoE cap, a moderate group of players could instantly wipe a zerg of almost any size. There would be no more RvR, only first hits. Dtealth bomber groups sneaking inside enemy zergs were the biggest meta.

AoE cap needs to happen.

Time to kill is another problem, please don't mix up everything :/
    Sorcerer on Auriel's Bow EU - http://www.twitch.tv/Prydatv & http://www.youtube.com/cyr9x (1-50 & VR leveling guides + PvP Videos)
  • ruzlb16_ESO
    ruzlb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If not for an AoE cap, a moderate group of players could instantly wipe a zerg of almost any size.

You do realize that that's a good thing, right? So that it's not a pure numbers game, being dominated by whichever side happens to have the most people online at any given time? Otherwise, you get a spiral of doom effect in the populations:

1. Side A has 100 people, side B has 80. Both form into a big zeg because with an AOE cap there's no counter to a big zerg.
    2. Side A wins because it has more people.
    3. 10 players from Side B decide 'to hell with this' and go PvE.
    4. If b => 0, goto 2.

This will be what happens every night on every server with an AoE cap. No small groups turning the tide. No successful rapid keep actions by small teams. Just two tightly packed balls of players standing 7 feet apart til one side is dead.
  • Feidam
    Feidam
    ✭✭✭
    You guys realize that most of the aoe's in this game already have a cap in place. It's just not stated in the tool tip.
  • prana33b14_ESO
    prana33b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Feidam wrote: »
    You guys realize that most of the aoe's in this game already have a cap in place. It's just not stated in the tool tip.

People didn't but you can be sure that as raid leaders realize this we will quickly see game play devolve into gw2 style balls.

• valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Feidam wrote: »

People didn't but you can be sure that as raid leaders realize this we will quickly see game play devolve into gw2 style balls.

That will not happen till the patch, because Impulse is stopping that kind of tactic atm.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    zergers complaining about losing to smaller groups have ZERO to complain about. you had MORE people on the same classes. to say you only lost because you were stacked up and died to aoes, is not unfair in the slightest.

bads need to learn to play instead of complaining about losing to smaller groups.

"there was 30 of us and we died to 6 people. Its not that we are bads, its that they must be exploiting!"
  • BumboklatMon
    No
    HELL NO!

If you guys want to be like Blizzard and listen to all the crying from noobs then please do it but, I can guarantee YOU WILL LOSE SOOOO MANY PEOPLE....

A.O.E. - AREA OF EFFECT.... I thought you guys knew this...

if you dont have AOE you might as well call it;

H.L.P. - Hits Limited People... No one wants that crap!

Please don't ever do this. It was dumb to even consider it.

I'm sorry if I may come off harsh but don't ruin this game please... I've waited way to long and I'm happy right now. If you nerf AOE, you might as well make this game Free2Play.... -___________-
  • BumboklatMon
    No
    Eris wrote: »
    I bet that the changes being made are more for the PVE side than the PVP side anyways. It just happens that it will effect PVP which is really backwards from the norm. Generally the PVE people suffer because of a change to balance PVP rather than the other way around.

They need to implement a multi-effect power scheme (like in City of Heroes, I know again with COH) but one power would have a different effect in PVP than in PVE. So if you used a power on a mob in a PVP zone it would be as if you were in PVE but if you used that same power on a player it would have different values. This way they could say 6 limit PVE and 12 limit PVP or such.

I really think that any game that has both PVE and PVP should build powers this way. That way they can nerf or buff stuff for PVP that doesn't effect PVE and such.

disregard this guy please.
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No

AoE cap needs to happen.

What needs to happen at most is a variable AoE. Where the center 25% of the diameter takes full damage, then it tappers down the farther away you are from the center. This way people stay spread out, and it would now take 4 people to do the same AoE damage to the same amount of people spread out that it took for 1 person to do before.
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    No
    zahm wrote: »

That's sad... :(

Giant invincible zerg-balls inc!
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AoE cap is necessary. If not for an AoE cap, a moderate group of players could instantly wipe a zerg of almost any size.

And this is exactly why uncapped aoe should stay.

• Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Just watch the clip above, stacking up like that is stupid and should be punished, yet no one is even taking any damage (well barely) because of the AoE cap.

Do people really think that's a good thing?
    Edited by Dudis on April 27, 2014 7:23PM
  • BumboklatMon
    No

AoE cap needs to happen.

disregard another please :)
  • Garrett_hardy_ESO
    No
    NO WAY. This seems like the Dev's are taking the easy way out. Instead of putting in the work to limit each skills individually to balance them. They want to CAP them all. This is frustrating. The changes they are making to the game or wanting to make are making the game less and less appealing. Why make it 6. When dungeons have pulls of 12 or more. Idiocracy
  • Justiwutz
    Justiwutz
    I like posts that start with "an AOE cap has never existed", followed by a video proving it exists. Funny.

Should it exist? That's absolutly impossible to say. AOE caps avoid a lot of issues. In theory, it would be possible for 5 man to wipe an entire raid. Sure, it's the raids fault for standing like that, but the possibility is something that's not really required.
    On the other hand, the AOE cap causes these stacking issues.

I actually like the WoW AOE cap, where most skills are limited at 10 targets and targets above 10 will SPLIT the damage, meaning 20 targets take the same total damage as 10 targets.

EDIT: That means if 2 raids decide to stack, they will still die. Even an 80 man raid would only split the damage "down" to 1/8 of the original, but with another 80 man raid dealing that damage, both sides would die.
    Edited by Justiwutz on April 27, 2014 7:44PM
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    The real question here is, why do these people think that zerging is even acceptable.

If a smaller group can beat you, it doesnt matter what "tactic" you feel that they used. If the reason you died is because you were touching butts with 30 other players and got aoe'd down by one skilled group, then you deserve to have failed.
  • valkaneer2b14_ESO
    valkaneer2b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Justiwutz wrote: »
    I like posts that start with "an AOE cap has never existed", followed by a video proving it exists. Funny.

Should it exist? That's absolutly impossible to say. AOE caps avoid a lot of issues. In theory, it would be possible for 5 man to wipe an entire raid. Sure, it's the raids fault for standing like that, but the possibility is something that's not really required.

I actually like the WoW AOE cap, where most skills are limited at 10 targets and targets above 10 will SPLIT the damage, meaning 20 targets take the same total damage as 10 targets.

EDIT: That means if 2 raids decide to stack, they will still die. Even an 80 man raid would only split the damage "down" to 1/8 of the original, but with another 80 man raid dealing that damage, both sides would die.

But what did the Wow AoE cap allow to happen? When was the last time anyone locked down a choke point with AoE since the cap? Um like never.... The cap allowed people to run through it and kill the casters with relative ease.

Now what has AV turned into? 40 people who try and run to the other side ASAP and kill the general. Yep that is what Av turned into... If the AoE cap did not exist 5 people could change all that.
  • Slyfe
    Slyfe
    No

AoE cap needs to happen.

This is true... Until everyone stops going around in a big kill farm zerg and just rolls in smaller groups themselves.

It might create new problems/ cheese tactics, but we all know where the AoE cap path leads, lets try something a little different for a change.

• Razeo
    Razeo
    No
    I like posts that start with "an AOE cap has never existed", FOLLOWED BY A VIDEO PROVING IT EXISTS. Funny.

Maybe because that video was taken on the PTS?
  • liunnos
    liunnos
    No
    Razeo wrote: »
    I like posts that start with "an AOE cap has never existed", FOLLOWED BY A VIDEO PROVING IT EXISTS. Funny.

they don't like to read ...

• Jackiepvp
    Jackiepvp
    No
    Razeo wrote: »

The video is on live.
    [VoTF]
  • Antirob
    Antirob
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Just leave it the way it is no one is complaining.
    Vehemence
    Antirob - Dragonknight
This discussion has been closed.