Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please stop stealing chests being worked on.

• trixsterjl_ESO
    Learn how to pick locks. It is not that hard. Awesome is when you succeed and your inventory is full and someone loots it while you are making space. LOL. Over all though W/E it's not your chest till you open it. It's not your rune till you got it in your inventory. In an ideal universe finders keepers. Nothing is ever ideal.
  • imperial
    imperial
    Why do you think they put a small timer on when you fail? If they fail try after them, seems like a fair system to me
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    Medwin wrote: »
    If you fail and someone got there second, they should get to try second. You had your chance and you blew it. Now if you are killing mobs for a chest and someone runs past you for it they are a scum bag.

got I hate other players stealing away treasure chest while you were there first,fighting the mobs.
    I wish them permanent death.
  • DakotaCoty
    DakotaCoty
    ✭✭✭
    crowfl56 wrote: »
    I asked them to stop, then reported them.
    Why report them? Survival of the fittest and that's surly an abuse of the report feature since it isn't actually against the rules.
    EU player
    http://tinyurl.com/10VampGuide
    www.twitter.com/DakotaKavanagh
  • RangerChad
    RangerChad
    ✭✭✭
    I often stand by them to make sure no mobs come by and stop them from opening, open for them if they failed the first time, or stop other players from opening it if the first player does not have enough inventory. I will just sit there with the chest open until they are done fumbling through their bag. :)
  • Chryos
    Chryos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a question. Is there an "hidden" or innate lockpicking skill that skills up when you practice, or is it a matter of real time skill each time? In theory, the more I practice the easier it gets, like leveling it up in most lockpick games?
    If I am going to quote someone, it's going to be me.
  • circesiren
    circesiren
    Soul Shriven
    As the ultimate noob to this game.. I admit, I am one of those idiots that cannot pick a lock to save my life. I went thru 5 picks for one little simple chest and still failed. At the time I thought how nice it would be to have a bomb.... I will keep trying.. One of these days I might just be successful.. So until then, do not despair. You can have that chest as soon as I go thru the next 5 picks in my bag.
  • GhostlyEnigma
    GhostlyEnigma
    Soul Shriven
    Me if I see someone picking a lock, working a node, or killing a mob I well keep going and let them be.
  • DakotaCoty
    DakotaCoty
    ✭✭✭
    circesiren wrote: »
    As the ultimate noob to this game.. I admit, I am one of those idiots that cannot pick a lock to save my life. I went thru 5 picks for one little simple chest and still failed. At the time I thought how nice it would be to have a bomb.... I will keep trying.. One of these days I might just be successful.. So until then, do not despair. You can have that chest as soon as I go thru the next 5 picks in my bag.

I feel you, when I started, my partner was looking at me and laughing as it was the first time I'd ever lockpicked and now I'm a master at it. It helps if you have the sound on for when it starts to rattle.
    EU player
  • LadyChaos
    LadyChaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    IDC whats in the box, I only want the ability to upgrade my skills.. I trade or offer trade what I loot to lower level players who failed before I opened.

If no one else but me is waiting next to you AND yo are lower level I will give you second chance, otherwise my turn and best wishes next time.
    VR2 Ataxia - [NA] Veteran Dominion Sorcerer [Auriel's Bow]
    PvP, PvE, Crafting, and General Shenanigans
    >:) Sorcery and Mayhem online since 1999 >:)
    Current PvP Class/Supernatural Census
  • Asuryan11
    Asuryan11
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I have to complain about. Is when you are taking the mob out and you see the chest, it's right there. And some *** goes and takes it as you are clearing the enemies. Other than that if someone else reaches a chest first I really don't care too much and let them have it. I don't stand over them pressing buttons randomly awaiting them to screw up or what not. Seems pretty stupid.
  • Shamusangus_24
    totally pinched one with a VI map in it yesterday.
    Edward Van Healen
    Aldmeri Dominion - Breton - Templar

Guild: Dirty Pundies
  • McUsher
    McUsher
    ✭✭
    Yesterday my wife tried a master chest and failed 2 times.. i was waiting and didn't see another guy coming up... Well, he tried next and failed. Then i tried.
    Thats how the game works...

So far i never went to a chest someone worked on, but reading all this whining i think i changed my mind...
    Are you still old school or yet unprogressive?
  • Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an issue with a guy over this recently. He pulled a crocodile and used its tail swipe to make me fail at my attempt, and for some odd reason he could get out of combat before me, when I killed the croc, by using Shadow Cloak
  • xramirez535b14_ESO
    Just try it yourself OP, I think you'll find its a fun little mini game even to try and take a chest someone else failed. I have fun with it all the time.
  • vmoped
    vmoped
    ✭✭
    McUsher wrote: »
    Yesterday my wife tried a master chest and failed 2 times.. i was waiting and didn't see another guy coming up... Well, he tried next and failed. Then i tried.
    Thats how the game works...

So far i never went to a chest someone worked on, but reading all this whining i think i changed my mind...

There have been a couple of developer interviews in the past in which they state (paraphrased here) that the timer and current chest design is intentional for players to have a sense of excitement with chests. Other players trying after you fail is intentional. Reporting players who are not violating the TOS is a violation of the TOS. The only one in the wrong here, OP, is you.

The loot from the chests, regardless of difficulty, is hardly worth getting worked up over. In other games this was an issue with mob tagging, in this game it is chests. Welcome to mmo's. Other players do not play the game the way you want them too.

Cheers!
  • DakotaCoty
    DakotaCoty
    ✭✭✭
    vmoped wrote: »
    McUsher wrote: »
    Reporting players who are not violating the TOS is a violation of the TOS. The only one in the wrong here, OP, is you.
    I couldn't agree with this more, the developers have more to worry about than some guy's ego because he just lost a chest... Reporting them is just sad.
    EU player
  • freddy_hgnrb18_ESO
    One tip to those that pick a lock, but don't open chest straight away and have it 'ninja'd'

Go into game play settings, and change it to Auto Loot, and Area Loot ... that way the moment you pick the lock, it auto opens the chest and loots it.

If you want to see what you got, open your inventory and look at the New Items that appear at the front of your list. (I changed this setting day 1 and have not had any issue with chests being taken out from under me)

I have opened close to 400 chests, and rarely fail on the 1st attempt (even on Master locks) - it saves time when in groups too, you loot 1 corpse, and it gets all the loot from nearby enemies, while on the run, you dont have to stop and check your gear, do that at the end .. or between combat if you feel you're close to inventory cap - and destroy items that you have no use for.

That is one of the best tips I can offer if you are concerned about someone else getting to loot a chest you've successfully picked.
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    I have been out hunting and seen people at chests. I will let them go at it and be on my way happily hunting, usually if they can't do it they will leave and I will pick it up, if still there, on another pass.( I have also had people try and drag mobs on me while I am picking one just to be a d bag)

I had one very nice player who was working on a chest and I left on my merry way. He messaged me told me he ran out of picks to come and take it if I wanted it. I came back opened it and told him to loot it.

Why? Because he was nice enough to send me a tell to inform me and it is nothing but pixels in a video game. I have no need to be greedy or get upset over gear or crappy loot that there will no doubt be plenty more of in my gaming future.

I can at least be respectful to other players in pve (pvp all bets are off you are on your own I am not nice to anyone). Chances are it will be remembered down the road at some point and if not who cares at least I know I have some of my manners still intact even for being online.
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive never noticed this phenomenon. I leave ppl to their chests because I assume they will get it on the first try (I have had few failed attermpts), why waste time on something I wont get?
    PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    You failed, someone beat you. Deal with it.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You failed, someone beat you. Deal with it.
    @kirnmalidus
    Neither of those are true ...

- I didn't "fail", i successfully picked the lock on the chest.
    - They didn't "beat me", they were spamming "E" on the chest while the opening animation was playing and managed to get the loot from the chest that i picked.

That should not be possible. Simple as that ...
    ;-)
    Edited by SirAndy on May 6, 2014 8:36PM
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's rude and obnoxious to lurk and try to spam E to get into a chest someone else spotted first. I've picked locks and someone managed to get the gear inside, losing the stuff and the pick. I've had people follow me to chests to snag them. I have and will continue to report them for harassment. If you don't want to get reported, ignored and create a bad rep, leave people alone at chests and mat nodes. There's plenty of stuff and it respawns quickly. Bottom line, don't be a *** and don't follow others like they're your own private node bloodhounds,
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • RazzPitazz
    RazzPitazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    - They didn't "beat me", they were spamming "E" on the chest while the opening animation was playing and managed to get the loot from the chest that i picked.

That should not be possible. Simple as that ...
    ;-)
    Yep, that is dumb. That's not even skillful stealing, the thieves guild would be ashamed. Either way I agree and I cannot comprehend why that feature would be enabled or even allowed.

PC NA
    VR1 - Jar'eed - Khajiit Dragon Knight - AD
    VR1 - Broad Tail - Argonian Templar - EP
    All-Star Crafter Guild
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seeing as there are a bunch of new people from Steam playing the game, I am going to bump this thread so they can get used to the mechanics of chests in this game.

I came across an issue tonight in the one dungeon Atanaz Ruins in Shadowfen. I came in and there was another player there at a chest... ok no problem. I was doing my own thing. There was a clanfear in there too and another player. This player stopped working the chest and walked away from it and went to fight the enemy... I got finished beating my own enemy and saw at that time the chest was empty and so I went over and opened it.

Just in case, after successfully opening the chest, I stood there and the other player came back... I spent over 30 seconds.. looking at the player, then looking at the chest... looking at the player again.. and back to the chest.. Like hint hint, nudge nudge take the chest... All the other players I have done that for easily took the hint, and I have played through Vet 12 with another character.

Then I get an whiny response calling me a jerk for taking his/her chest and what not and then the player walks away.

Like excuse me, I just stood in front of you for almost a minute with this chest waiting for you to take it and you call me a jerk.

So I responded to him/her that I had opened the chest and waited for them to take it but after calling me a jerk, I might as well take the chest, which I did afterwards.

The player would not let it go afterwards. I had to put him/her on my ignore list because of the incessant whining.

Seriously, to all your new players.. GET USED IT!!! It is just a chest... there are lots of them in the game if you know where to look. Whining at another player because they took it after your try and for whatever reason you failed or stopped, even if there was an enemy attack, is not going to solve your problem. You do that to the wrong player and they are going to follow you around and take all your chests for a while.

It was an intentional mechanic of the game that allows another player to take the chest if you fail or stop picking the lock for whatever reason and there are many players who will do just that.. But there are some decent players that do make mistakes and try to make it right but get crapped on by the other player no matter what we do and to those players I am no longer sorry.

So just in case, I did save the conversation if that other player decides to try to report me, to show that I did indeed attempt to give them the chest. But again, this is an aspect of the game that ya'll are just gonna have to get used to.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Amadaeo_LightStrider
    Amadaeo_LightStrider
    Soul Shriven
    Heh...reminds me a LOT of EverQuest when waiting on a critical mob for your Epic weapon. I remember as a ranger sitting for HOURS in Karnor's Castle waiting for Venril Sathir to pop...he'd pop...guild would rush to kill...but there were always leeches waiting around to see if we'd get him down to XX% and either try to take him if we wiped etc... all guilds adhered to a player made agreement that the guild on site got 2 shots..then it was open....
    “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worse when they despise him. But of a good leader who talks little when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves.” – Lao-Tzu
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »

Like excuse me, I just stood in front of you for almost a minute with this chest waiting for you to take it and you call me a jerk.

Seeing as you didn't actually tell him you'd opened the chest for him and that he should loot it, it seems to me that he was entitled to think you were standing there showing him how clever you'd been opening it, and waving the open chest in his face rather than immediately looting it.

Given that you were the one that opened the chest, why should he assume that he was entitled to loot it? Players aren't psychic, if you open a chest and want someone else to loot it then it helps if you tell them that!
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Nebthet78 wrote: »

Seeing as you didn't actually tell him you'd opened the chest for him and that he should loot it, it seems to me that he was entitled to think you were standing there showing him how clever you'd been opening it, and waving the open chest in his face rather than immediately looting it.

Given that you were the one that opened the chest, why should he assume that he was entitled to loot it? Players aren't psychic, if you open a chest and want someone else to loot it then it helps if you tell them that!

Actually I did tell him... I saved the screenshots too... but can't post them here due to community rules....
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just let them have the chest and pick pocket them when they check the inventory ;)
    Roll on justice system lol
    Edited by Rune_Relic on August 10, 2014 9:43PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Luckily I've never failed to pick a lock.it's so easy in this game.