Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where is the ink?

• EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Also, since people who don't own Gold Road can't get ink (without buying it.... but what would they need it for if they can't scribe?), what are the other players going to get as a daily reward? Is this the start of rewards customized to your level of payment?

If it's not bound it can still be sold/given away so that is hopefully not an issue. It's a lot like the DLC rewards, if you already had it, you didn't get anything different.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Lunar wrote: »
    Just to clear up any confusion, Jess commented on this yesterday.
    Hey all, we'd like to remind you that we do not condone or advise datamining. As a general rule, we don't comment on datamining because ESO is huge game, we are constantly working on things and moving things around behind the scenes, and just because something shows up in the data is no indication of when or how we will use it. That said, we will occasionally make exceptions and this is one of them.

As we've noted before, we agree that the availability of Luminous Ink is lower than we'd like, and we are actively looking into ways we can improve that. Ensuring Luminous Ink drops off of boss monsters was one such step - this is live on PC and going out for console servers in tomorrow's incremental patch. What you see in this thread is another step. We are preparing to add Luminous Ink as a Daily Login Reward (not to the Crown Store) at some point in the future; keep an eye out for our usual Daily Login Rewards info each month.

Out of curiosity, have the devs who worked on scribing provided any rationale behind the decision to make ink a rare resource with a low RNG-gated drop rate? Even if ink is added to daily login rewards (presumably once or twice a month in the amounts typically seen for gold crafting mats), that isn’t really going to help those of us who struggle to acquire ink on a day to day basis. It’s difficult to understand why ink is so rare for so many of us, when one of the main selling points of this new system was the thousands of possible skill combos we could try and the potential for increasing build diversity. The rarity of ink actively discourages trying out new combos and increasing build diversity. It seems entirely at odds with the spirit of experimentation that informs scribing.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orbital78 wrote: »
    How many ink do you need? Maybe there will be more useful combinations in U43, but you really don't need more than the 12 from the quest. If you do just harvest some. I seem to find more off mobs in dungeons and trials if that is more your style.

How do you know what my builds need or don’t need? I switch things up on the regular and don’t follow meta builds — and I do this on seven different characters. I definitely need more ink than the 12 from the quest. Much more.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Just to clear up any confusion,

So this is verification that there will be two types of non-combinable (not stacking) inks? Bound and tradable?

when they give us material tempers from daily login, we dont get "bound" dreugh wax for example, so i would not assume they are making the ink from daily login bound either

We’ll see.. Ink is not dreugh wax.

Yes, but there's only one item that is bound and goes in the craft bag, which is mimic stones.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So this is verification that there will be two types of non-combinable (not stacking) inks? Bound and tradable?

when they give us material tempers from daily login, we dont get "bound" dreugh wax for example, so i would not assume they are making the ink from daily login bound either

i still see no reason why they would make a bound version, theres no precedent for it: dreugh wax, tempering alloy, rosin all are given as unbound and also materials, ink is considered a crafting material, and goes into the craft bag, so it should be treated the same

i do still see the quantities being given by daily logins to be abysmally small though (1 unit of ink from a daily login day for example)

Also, since people who don't own Gold Road can't get ink (without buying it.... but what would they need it for if they can't scribe?), what are the other players going to get as a daily reward? Is this the start of rewards customized to your level of payment?

those players could either:
    1. stockpile for when they do get access to gold road (future free eso+ events for example, this would potentially allow them the ability to finish the scribing quest line to unlock the wing bonuses, and they are adding a scribing alter for player housing, so there would be no reason to go back to the west weald, though im not sure if this would work like jewelry crafting and needing to own summerset, or if you can use antiquity system if you didnt have greymoor)
    2. or sell ink to make some quick gold, though with the price declining it may be better to just hold it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • Eternalscourge1
    Eternalscourge1
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, we'd like to remind you that we do not condone or advise datamining. As a general rule, we don't comment on datamining because ESO is huge game, we are constantly working on things and moving things around behind the scenes, and just because something shows up in the data is no indication of when or how we will use it. That said, we will occasionally make exceptions and this is one of them.

As we've noted before, we agree that the availability of Luminous Ink is lower than we'd like, and we are actively looking into ways we can improve that. Ensuring Luminous Ink drops off of boss monsters was one such step - this is live on PC and going out for console servers in tomorrow's incremental patch. What you see in this thread is another step. We are preparing to add Luminous Ink as a Daily Login Reward (not to the Crown Store) at some point in the future; keep an eye out for our usual Daily Login Rewards info each month.

HUGE thanks for clearing this up and for commenting!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

Yes, but there's only one item that is bound and goes in the craft bag, which is mimic stones.

My point is that ZOS is under no obligation to follow past patterns and policies. They created a hard to obtain resource, and as near as anyone can tell from their comments, this was deliberate. Right now they are walking back some of that, but it remains to be seen whether they changed their mind, or are just taking advantage of wiggle room.

But... we can entertain ideas. Dreugh wax was mentioned, but that is not a valid comparison. Scribing is not clothing. It actually has no peers in the realm of crafting, but it shares an important trait with Jewelry crafting in terms of "purchase required". Jewelry is also a grind in the game. How many jewelry crafting materials, like chromium, have we received from daily rewards? Instant jewelry crafting research scrolls? (Not counting the "all" scrolls)

ZOS is free to do whatever they want here. I am siding on the idea that they want to keep Ink on the rare side, like it was when they originally rolled it out, but not quite as rare. If they do Daily Rewards, my guess is that it will be bound, obtained towards the end of the month (Day 21), and it will be essentially a one time only event. Just my guess.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »

My point is that ZOS is under no obligation to follow past patterns and policies. They created a hard to obtain resource, and as near as anyone can tell from their comments, this was deliberate. Right now they are walking back some of that, but it remains to be seen whether they changed their mind, or are just taking advantage of wiggle room.

But... we can entertain ideas. Dreugh wax was mentioned, but that is not a valid comparison. Scribing is not clothing. It actually has no peers in the realm of crafting, but it shares an important trait with Jewelry crafting in terms of "purchase required". Jewelry is also a grind in the game. How many jewelry crafting materials, like chromium, have we received from daily rewards? Instant jewelry crafting research scrolls? (Not counting the "all" scrolls)

ZOS is free to do whatever they want here. I am siding on the idea that they want to keep Ink on the rare side, like it was when they originally rolled it out, but not quite as rare. If they do Daily Rewards, my guess is that it will be bound, obtained towards the end of the month (Day 21), and it will be essentially a one time only event. Just my guess.

while yes, zos could do what they want, i also highly doubt it will come up like that

i could see them doing a daily of giving out 1 ink, but i dont necessarily think it will only be day 21 of 1 month, its not the equivalent of the 100k gold or AP rewards

i used dreugh wax, or any of those gold tempers as a comparison because to me that is what closest aligns with what ink is and how it is used, its rare, its sellable in game and it would make absolutely 0 sense to have 2 stacks in your craft bag, one for bound variant and one for unbound variant

if they are concerned about database bloat, that right there would be the last thing they would do is have it take up 2 stacks in your craft bag

it just seems to me that a lot of people here lately all have an extremely cynical view of any possible decision zos could make like they have straight detest for their own players
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Orbital78 wrote: »
    How many ink do you need? Maybe there will be more useful combinations in U43, but you really don't need more than the 12 from the quest. If you do just harvest some. I seem to find more off mobs in dungeons and trials if that is more your style.

I you are suggesting that I re-do the truly awful turn on scribing quest line on each character you can stop right there. I'd rather have to redo the staff chase than that.

And with 11 toons even if I only scribe 3 per that almost 100 inks and more than I have found in days and days of intense farming. And that assumes that the first 3 I scribe are winners for me, things I want to use. So far that hasn't been the case.

And then there is the 500 for the achievement.

So how few do you think you will need?
    PS5/NA
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    The claim that Ink is being added to crown crates seems to be completely made up. I've found no actual evidence to the claim anywhere. Such conjecture needs to be quelled immediately.Nor is there any evidence that Ink will be added to daily login rewards. The only references to either claim are other players wishing or suggesting it, but zero actual statements from anybody even remotely connected to Zos.

If anybody can prove otherwise, by all means please link to the evidence. Otherwise this conjecture needs to come to a a complete stop.

We cannot send a link here on the forums because those types of links are forbidden.

Links to official Zos/ESO sources are forbidden? I'm gonna call Shenanigans on that one.

Call it whatever you want.

I am not sure if you think you are playing some sort of clever game here, but as it has been stated, talking about datamining is forbidden. So, nobody is going to provide you with a link.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EF321 wrote: »
    IrisDupree wrote: »
    Six drops from just few hundred of nodes is pretty lucky. Hundred of nodes is 7-8 minutes of farming.
    People spend hours doing irrelevant activities and then complain that they got little ink. Would they fish for roe like this as well? "I caught one fish from every hole I saw while on my way to do other tasks and only got one roe in whole week".

Where are you farming that you get hundreds of nodes in 7-8 minutes?

One hundred, not multiple hundreds in 7-8 minutes :)

Some zones where you can find good routes are any starter island (but can be too crowded during prime time these days), Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Telvanni Peninsula, Amenos. Sharing exact spots publicly is how you kill a spot, so find what works for you there :) Make sure it's looping (full circle or from wayshrine to wayshrine) and long enough for nodes to respawn when you are back to where you started, learn it so you know exactly where to go next.

There's plenty of decent routes where you can be getting this much, IF you are just farming, without any side missions like collecting skyshards or books, surveys, looting chests, getting nirncrux, killing specific mobs for trophies or antiquities, etc etc. Just farm, don't skip any nodes even if it's main content is low value. Get some speed (Wild hunt + CPs is enough for me), change location if someone else is farming same spot (I'd rather go to 8th best place than share best one with another player).

Good advice. I have 3 main routes. Deshaan, Rivenspire and Craglorn. I will take chests in the first two since there are decent overland set drops. I know many people don’t like to farm. Boring for them I guess. Personally I like to farm just to relax in game. If you don’t farm then you’re not gonna see many “low or uncommon” things. I’m up to 90ish ink over the last week I guess.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect that if Luminous ink was ever introduced to the crown store it would be like Mimic Stones. Even the ones you win from crates, once you move them to your craft bag they are no different than any other crafting material as far as stacking is concerned.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    I suspect that if Luminous ink was ever introduced to the crown store it would be like Mimic Stones. Even the ones you win from crates, once you move them to your craft bag they are no different than any other crafting material as far as stacking is concerned.

Given that Mimic Stones are usually bundled with an accompanying motif book, I wouldn't be opposed to getting Luminous Ink in addition when purchasing a bundle of Scribing-related furniture, which might include that Scribing Station. 30k Archival Fortunes aren't hard to get by any means, but one could justify getting Luminous Ink from the Crown Store if it came with that Scribing Station.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    oldbobdude wrote: »
    Six drops from just few hundred of nodes is pretty lucky. Hundred of nodes is 7-8 minutes of farming.
    People spend hours doing irrelevant activities and then complain that they got little ink. Would they fish for roe like this as well? "I caught one fish from every hole I saw while on my way to do other tasks and only got one roe in whole week".

Some zones where you can find good routes are any starter island (but can be too crowded during prime time these days), Wrothgar, Hew's Bane, Telvanni Peninsula, Amenos. Sharing exact spots publicly is how you kill a spot, so find what works for you there :) Make sure it's looping (full circle or from wayshrine to wayshrine) and long enough for nodes to respawn when you are back to where you started, learn it so you know exactly where to go next.

There's plenty of decent routes where you can be getting this much, IF you are just farming, without any side missions like collecting skyshards or books, surveys, looting chests, getting nirncrux, killing specific mobs for trophies or antiquities, etc etc. Just farm, don't skip any nodes even if it's main content is low value. Get some speed (Wild hunt + CPs is enough for me), change location if someone else is farming same spot (I'd rather go to 8th best place than share best one with another player).

Good advice. I have 3 main routes. Deshaan, Rivenspire and Craglorn. I will take chests in the first two since there are decent overland set drops. I know many people don’t like to farm. Boring for them I guess. Personally I like to farm just to relax in game. If you don’t farm then you’re not gonna see many “low or uncommon” things. I’m up to 90ish ink over the last week I guess.

I guess you must be on the PC. Starter islands still have too many bots on the console. They are only after jewelry mats but they camp on the nodes and get in the way.
    PS5/NA
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you must be on the PC. Starter islands still have too many bots on the console. They are only after jewelry mats but they camp on the nodes and get in the way.

Have you checked outside Windhelm in East March. At one time, there was a good route past the giants, between the houses and the mountains to the east. There is a nice long oblong shaped route there running north to south. I haven't used it (on PC) in a while but I haven't seen folks there when I'd get a daily for that dungeon just to the east of the mountain in the gap.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didnt Zos say they gonna monetize scribing and add stuff in crownstore later?

They probably gonna sell a skill style and you get 10 Ink for buying it or something.

If the devs thinks the droprate for Ink are lower then they expected why not add a guaranteed drop to a daily quest?

I think it will show up in Crownstore soon one way or another.
    Edited by XSTRONG on July 11, 2024 3:53AM
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »

Have you checked outside Windhelm in East March. At one time, there was a good route past the giants, between the houses and the mountains to the east. There is a nice long oblong shaped route there running north to south. I haven't used it (on PC) in a while but I haven't seen folks there when I'd get a daily for that dungeon just to the east of the mountain in the gap.

Thanks! I do really like East March. I'll give it a try. Right now I'm using Necrom, but that's getting very crowded.

PS5/NA
  • ZOS_Volpe
    ZOS_Volpe
    admin
    Hi there,

We have gone ahead and removed a few comments that were discussing datamined content and misinformation. Please make sure to keep commentary constructive and to adhere to our Community Rules.

Thank you for your understanding
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for passing along this information. I have gotten a few inks yesterday just from doing my normal activities so yes it is dropping a little more frequently now.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are surveys going to drop them soon? I just want to know before I clear out my survey hoard.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They haven't said anything about ever enabling drops from surveys as far as I know.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    r2wsg5d.jpeg
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ChaoticWings3
    ChaoticWings3
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience, I only had ink drop once from a harvest node. It defiantly feels like the rate of drops is somewhere below 1% considering how often it drops. I have gotten more kutas from enchanting nodes in the same amount of time for a single ink. I saw postings about introducing ink to bosses, chests, and heavy sacks. While having more ways to get ink is good, having the rate be so low isn't really going to improve the situation that much. At the moment, ink feels about as tough a drop to get as the anniversary limited bound style pages. For this reason I haven't been engaging much with the scribing mechanic since I cannot experiment with the skills which was the main reason I was interested in scribing. I can probably make a few but if I don't like how something turned out I would either need to grind mindlessly until an ink drops or spend a ton of gold from someone selling it in the guild stores. I think the ink needs to be at least around 3% or so. I'm not sure what the rate of kuta drops are from enchanting nodes but having the drop rate match the rarity of kutas across the board might be the best way to go about it.
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drop rate for ink is so low I've lost interest in Scribing completely. Yall need to do something or this system will be dead in the water for most players.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I am seeing some small spurts of more than 1 drop an hour (that is better but the difference is tiny) and I have *finally* gotten a drop trash mobs, the drop rate is still too low to allow real experimenting. And the 500 ink achievement is still a dream.

I am really sick of the ink grind, and the few experiments I have done mostly didn't produce anything much better than my class skills.
    PS5/NA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I am seeing some small spurts of more than 1 drop an hour (that is better but the difference is tiny) and I have *finally* gotten a drop trash mobs, the drop rate is still too low to allow real experimenting. And the 500 ink achievement is still a dream.

I am really sick of the ink grind, and the few experiments I have done mostly didn't produce anything much better than my class skills.

I've consistently farmed several hundred nodes, killed hundreds of enemies, and looted roughly 1000 containers, each day over the last 7-8 days and have not had a single ink drop from any source in that time. I also have not pulled a single new zone purple furnishing plan in the same period. Not saying that anything has chanced, but it's either that, or my RNG just completing bottomed out.
    Edited by CGPsaint on July 21, 2024 2:19PM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Rishikesa108
    Rishikesa108
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This morning I've found some inks as stealed loot from urns.
    I did not know it was possible to find the Luminous Ink in that way !
    mwsi4gzwemhx.png
    Man did not weave the web of life – he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »

I've consistently farmed several hundred nodes, killed hundreds of enemies, and looted roughly 1000 containers, each day over the last 7-8 days and have not had a single ink drop from any source in that time. I also have not pulled a single new zone purple furnishing plan in the same period. Not saying that anything has chanced, but it's either that, or my RNG just completing bottomed out.

I recommend putting in a bug report. I was having issues as well despite doing many hours of dedicated farming on a crafting mat/XP farming build, so I put in a bug report in game. A few days ago, the ink just started flowing in all of a sudden when I started farming. So far, this has been consistent for me every day since then. It’s still an irritating grind, but at least ink is finally dropping at a rate that matches up with what other players have been seeing. Some of these other players previously kept implying / outright telling me I was doing something “wrong” if I was only getting 1-2 inks or 0 ink after an hour long farming session. One person even called me an “amateur farmer” … but I literally didn’t make any changes to the way I farm mats, and am now seeing at least 5-7+ ink per hour of farming on a consistent basis.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

I recommend putting in a bug report. I was having issues as well despite doing many hours of dedicated farming on a crafting mat/XP farming build, so I put in a bug report in game. A few days ago, the ink just started flowing in all of a sudden when I started farming. So far, this has been consistent for me every day since then. It’s still an irritating grind, but at least ink is finally dropping at a rate that matches up with what other players have been seeing. Some of these other players previously kept implying / outright telling me I was doing something “wrong” if I was only getting 1-2 inks or 0 ink after an hour long farming session. One person even called me an “amateur farmer” … but I literally didn’t make any changes to the way I farm mats, and am now seeing at least 5-7+ ink per hour of farming on a consistent basis.

That is the definition of RNG.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Aurielle wrote: »

That is the definition of RNG.

Not if you’re consistently getting no drops whatsoever or terrible drops every single day for weeks.