Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Official hints for the next chapter received

• Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That’s such a cool artwork, I had no idea they posted it already in another format, great job on making it a jif though, @alternatelder
    Edited by Tyrant_Tim on January 10, 2024 9:03PM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    The pieces are falling into place. Do you see what we see?
    https://x.com/TESOnline/status/1745158569383666154?s=20

That's so COOL :s

I see a PORTAL TO ANOTHER DIMENSION!!! With Fargrave POWERING THE WAY!! LET US GO RESCUE FALINESTI!!!! :)

~~
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on January 10, 2024 9:02PM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what?

Ithelia is the Prince of Fate, Destiny and Altered Paths.

What if the reason this Mages Guild Symbol is similar (but with feathers) is because this is an ALTERNATE REALITY version of the Mages' Guild?

Like the Mages Guild did not form the way we know it to exist because Ithelia is involved and Funky Fate things happened? Like, maybe Vanus Galerion isn't even the archmage of this other version of the guild? And stuff.

Seeing Kevin's finalized video of the stained glass....All I can think of when I see that center crystal bursty thingy is that it looks like a portal. Especially with the Fargrave symbols spinning like they're powering this portal too!

A portal to another dimension! An alternative version of Tamriel! Like we're looking into a cracked mirror and traveling someplace that's similar yet different.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that no one has mentioned the shield with the lines radiating from the center at the base of the four trees. I've been unable to find any similar Elder Scrolls representation.

Any theories?
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    I noticed that no one has mentioned the shield with the lines radiating from the center at the base of the four trees. I've been unable to find any similar Elder Scrolls representation.

Any theories?

Sometimes an ornament is just that... an ornament. Not everything has to have a deeper meaning, also red herrings do exist to mislead those who seek solve a mystery...
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • tomofhyrule
      tomofhyrule
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      It's interesting to see the official version, since that's pretty well telling us which way is up.

Also that means that the central burst has more than a passing resemblance to Meridia's logo
      ON-concept-Prince-Meridia-emblem.png
      (may be a bit of wishful thinking, but I want her as a primary villain in the worst way)
      Edited by tomofhyrule on January 10, 2024 9:43PM
    • Kendaric
      Kendaric
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      It's interesting to see the official version, since that's pretty well telling us which way is up.

Also that means that the central burst has more than a passing resemblance to Meridia's logo
      (may be a bit of wishful thinking, but I want her as a primary villain in the worst way)

While I think Meridia might play a role, why would you want her as a villain? She certainly isn't pure good, but neither is she even remotely villainous or evil. She generally seems to act more on behalf of mortals than virtually every other Daedric Prince with the exception of Azura.
      Granted, what she pulled with poor Darien wasn't nice ... but that doesn't make her evil. Also, maybe we get Darien back...
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      • tomofhyrule
        tomofhyrule
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        Kendaric wrote: »

While I think Meridia might play a role, why would you want her as a villain? She certainly isn't pure good, but neither is she even remotely villainous or evil. She generally seems to act more on behalf of mortals than virtually every other Daedric Prince with the exception of Azura.
        Granted, what she pulled with poor Darien wasn't nice ... but that doesn't make her evil. Also, maybe we get Darien back...

Honestly? Because I love the idea of Good is Not Nice stories.

That's why Depths of Malatar for me has such a great story - on the surface, a deity of light who hates the undead is your typical "good" deity, to oppose the "bad" ones. But Malatar showed us the darker side to Meridia's light: it's her way or no way. She essentially kidnapped those Imperials and robbed them of their free will to be her eternal servants. But at least they're against the undead, right?

Shades of grey make stories so much more compelling for me at least.

Meridia returning would also be a nice way to tie up the 10th anniversary. She was essentially the goodest of good guys in the Main Quest - she helped you get your soul back and defeat Molag Bal. But there were already some darker elements there: she was the Groundskeeper, and she essentially did kinda let it slip that she was using you. There's also the interesting implication that the Groundskeeper and the Hooded Figure use the same face and VA, which could almost imply that she was behind you getting killed in the first place to set her plans in motion.

In Summerset, we do start to also see a bit of her dark side with Darien as well, as we all know. But it's realy the story of Malatar that her dark side is truly evident, and I'd love that to be in the story. Especially if they did want to bring it full circle in a "You were my pawn to take down Molag Bal, now you owe me your soul for saving you from him" way.

Also the fact that her shrine in Oblivion is right next to Skingrad makes it a nice way to tie her in. (Also I'd love Miscarcand as a public Dungeon or something as well, considering it's also right there.)
        T42vrib.png

EDIT: map didn't load
        Edited by tomofhyrule on January 10, 2024 10:20PM
      • Kendaric
        Kendaric
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭
        Kendaric wrote: »

Honestly? Because I love the idea of Good is Not Nice stories.

That's why Depths of Malatar for me has such a great story - on the surface, a deity of light who hates the undead is your typical "good" deity, to oppose the "bad" ones. But Malatar showed us the darker side to Meridia's light: it's her way or no way. She essentially kidnapped those Imperials and robbed them of their free will to be her eternal servants. But at least they're against the undead, right?

Shades of grey make stories so much more compelling for me at least.

Meridia returning would also be a nice way to tie up the 10th anniversary. She was essentially the goodest of good guys in the Main Quest - she helped you get your soul back and defeat Molag Bal. But there were already some darker elements there: she was the Groundskeeper, and she essentially did kinda let it slip that she was using you. There's also the interesting implication that the Groundskeeper and the Hooded Figure use the same face and VA, which could almost imply that she was behind you getting killed in the first place to set her plans in motion.

In Summerset, we do start to also see a bit of her dark side with Darien as well, as we all know. But it's realy the story of Malatar that her dark side is truly evident, and I'd love that to be in the story. Especially if they did want to bring it full circle in a "You were my pawn to take down Molag Bal, now you owe me your soul for saving you from him" way.

Also the fact that her shrine in Oblivion is right next to Skingrad makes it a nice way to tie her in. (Also I'd love Miscarcand as a public Dungeon or something as well, considering it's also right there.)
        T42vrib.png

EDIT: map didn't load

I agree that good doesn't equal nice, but I don't think having her as a villain would fit. Using mortals to set her plans in motion and further her own agenda would fit her admittedly, but then she should have appeared or at least been hinted at during the Necrom chapter. I only played through parts of it on the PTS as I hate Apocrypha and Hermaeus Mora almost as much as Sheogorath and Argonians, but as far as I'm aware she doesn't appear during Necrom at all.

I have no idea what happens in "Depths of Malatar", as I don't do group content and unless we get a story mode for dungeons I'm unlikely to ever see it.
        • Syldras
          Syldras
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Wolf_Eye wrote: »
          You know what?
          What if the reason this Mages Guild Symbol is similar (but with feathers) is because this is an ALTERNATE REALITY version of the Mages' Guild?
          Like the Mages Guild did not form the way we know it to exist because Ithelia is involved and Funky Fate things happened? Like, maybe Vanus Galerion isn't even the archmage of this other version of the guild? And stuff.

You mean that reality where he sided with Mannimarco? ;)

As much as I'd love the idea to see a different version of Tamriel, I'm sadly not sure if ZOS would really get that creative.

Also, if they did, I think it would be most interesting if we'd see places again that we already know in their "normal" state, but it definitively doesn't look like it's going into this direction this year, instead we'll get the usual new region(s) on the map. I guess that at most, if dimensional or time travel plays a role, they'll show us only small portions of that within some quest. Like you lurk into alternate-reality Mournhold (or Elden Root or whatever city) for one quest, but other than that, you're either in Ithelia's or Mora's realm or at some place in Tamriel where we can't make a comparison. What would then probably mean we'll be forever stuck with a messed-up version of Skingrad or something...
          @Syldras | PC | EU
          The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
          Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
          Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
          Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
        • cyclonus11
          cyclonus11
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭

She straight up tells you that Daedra are selfish by nature, including her.

• Elsonso
          Elsonso
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the area is bright, it is the right shape, and Meridia is part of an elite group of Princes who invaded the realm of another. :neutral: That has to get a name on a special list.

I like the idea that it is a prison, but I doubt Meridia is the one who would be imprisoned. Maybe that is where certain Princes want her to be, though.

ESO Plus: No
          PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
          XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
          X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
        • Tyrant_Tim
          Tyrant_Tim
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          @LunaFlora there are better ways to approach someone about that, try a direct message.
          Edited by Tyrant_Tim on January 11, 2024 12:05AM
        • ArchMikem
          ArchMikem
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          You know what?

Seeing Kevin's finalized video of the stained glass....All I can think of when I see that center crystal bursty thingy is that it looks like a portal. Especially with the Fargrave symbols spinning like they're powering this portal too!

A portal to another dimension! An alternative version of Tamriel! Like we're looking into a cracked mirror and traveling someplace that's similar yet different.

Finally someone else that's mentioned Ithelia, it seemed like I was the only one still interested in her being a thing, especially since her existence is kinda the key point behind the Necrom story.

I wouldn't be all that surprised over ZOS introducing some Multiverse theory stuff into Elder Scrolls. It would be interesting to see a Mundus that had Ithelia at the helm, since Mora basically claimed she had direct control over existence itself, she's the closest thing to a true God out of all the Daedric Princes.
          CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
          Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
        • MindOfTheSwarm
          MindOfTheSwarm
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          The center blue bit…. The All-Maker’s Light? Another possibility? Or portal to Aetherius 😂?
          Edited by MindOfTheSwarm on January 11, 2024 12:32AM
        • Elsonso
          Elsonso
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ArchMikem wrote: »
          Finally someone else that's mentioned Ithelia, it seemed like I was the only one still interested in her being a thing, especially since her existence is kinda the key point behind the Necrom story.

I think it is a given at this point that the Daedric Prince of Retcons :smile: will be in the 2024 story in some manner. The 2023 story was built around her, and they already spoiled the basic plot of 2024 by saying the story was continuing.
        • virtus753
          virtus753
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          There are exactly 16 leaves along with the fragment and the letter, four each of four color schemes. They range from dark yellow with a red tinge on the edges to full deep red, as can be seen at the link in the OP.

I'm not sure if there's any significance to the number (although it nicely fits the four trees) or to the deepening red (aside from reinforcing the suggestion of autumn).
        • Elsonso
          Elsonso
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          virtus753 wrote: »
          There are exactly 16 leaves along with the fragment and the letter, four each of four color schemes. They range from dark yellow with a red tinge on the edges to full deep red, as can be seen at the link in the OP.

I'm not sure if there's any significance to the number (although it nicely fits the four trees) or to the deepening red (aside from reinforcing the suggestion of autumn).

The number seems to be random.
        • virtus753
          virtus753
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          Elsonso wrote: »

The number distributed is random, or the number 16 is random?
        • Pelanora
          Pelanora
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          bwfv5bm804qu.jpg
          Is this a map underneath?
        • OtarTheMad
          OtarTheMad
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭
          Pelanora wrote: »
          bwfv5bm804qu.jpg
          Is this a map underneath?

The lightning in the middle looks a little like how Colovia or whatever the zone will be called would look like.

• ArchangelIsraphel
          ArchangelIsraphel
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          I took a screenshot of the full window just before the glow in the middle disguises the image at the center so that it can be examined by everyone. It looks quite interesting (apologize for the slight graininess, I couldn't get the video to go into higher quality/resolution)

I7pIaGv.jpg
          Legends never die
          They're written down in eternity
          But you'll never see the price it costs
          The scars collected all their lives
          When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
          Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
          Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
          Legends never die
        • Wolf_Eye
          Wolf_Eye
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Elsonso wrote: »

The number distributed is random, or the number 16 is random?

If you don't count the "missing" Princes (Jyggalag and Ithelia), then there are exactly 16 Daedric Princes.
        • Wolf_Eye
          Wolf_Eye
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Syldras wrote: »
          You know what?

You mean that reality where he sided with Mannimarco? ;)

As much as I'd love the idea to see a different version of Tamriel, I'm sadly not sure if ZOS would really get that creative.

Also, if they did, I think it would be most interesting if we'd see places again that we already know in their "normal" state, but it definitively doesn't look like it's going into this direction this year, instead we'll get the usual new region(s) on the map. I guess that at most, if dimensional or time travel plays a role, they'll show us only small portions of that within some quest. Like you lurk into alternate-reality Mournhold (or Elden Root or whatever city) for one quest, but other than that, you're either in Ithelia's or Mora's realm or at some place in Tamriel where we can't make a comparison. What would then probably mean we'll be forever stuck with a messed-up version of Skingrad or something...

Syldras!! Wouldn't it be so cool to fight Vanus' evil twin??!!

And yeah! I would LOVE if some of the dungeons released this year were, in fact, places we've been before (but their alternate reality versions!). Like how about an alternate reality version of Grahtwood as a dungeon? Maybe everything is on fire because Mehrunes Dagon managed to destroy most of Valenwood due to the Tribunal being unable to stop him??

Maybe the planemeld actually managed to be successful?? So many possibilities!! :):)
        • ArchangelIsraphel
          ArchangelIsraphel
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭
          A screenshot with a more exposed view of the map-like shapes formed by the lightening:

Jxn7NkR.jpg
          Legends never die
          They're written down in eternity
          But you'll never see the price it costs
          The scars collected all their lives
          When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
          Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
          Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
          Legends never die
        • lillybit
          lillybit
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          I took a screenshot of the full window just before the glow in the middle disguises the image at the center so that it can be examined by everyone. It looks quite interesting (apologize for the slight graininess, I couldn't get the video to go into higher quality/resolution)

I7pIaGv.jpg

Oh! If you zoom in that's a face in the middle!
          PS4 EU
        • majulook
          majulook
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          The blue center image if you cut it in half horizontally you can see that there is enough differences that it is not a top and bottom mirror image

See the face

0p703hdcbe3l.jpg
          Si vis pacem, para bellum
        • Pelanora
          Pelanora
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          A screenshot with a more exposed view of the map-like shapes formed by the lightening:

Jxn7NkR.jpg

This has got to be a map...... to where???
        • TaSheen
          TaSheen
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Cyrodiil plus parts of zones east west and south?

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
        • alternatelder
          alternatelder
          ✭✭✭✭✭
          Pelanora wrote: »

Jxn7NkR.jpg

This has got to be a map...... to where???

Watch the vid. I don't think it's a map considering it changes shape as it shrinks. Probably just coincidence it resembles one.
          Edited by alternatelder on January 11, 2024 4:09AM