Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Official hints for the next chapter received

• Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eporem wrote: »
    The_Saint wrote: »
    majulook wrote: »
    The blue center image if you cut it in half horizontally you can see that there is enough differences that it is not a top and bottom mirror image

See the face

0p703hdcbe3l.jpg

I can see a little bit of zenithar here :#
    image.png?ex=65b25023&is=659fdb23&hm=951440bffcdf327be2dc8d64219c697e40789edad73482978174fca4e714a904&

And zenithar is associated with a blue star...

Maybe we see deadric prince, guilds, places which where involved with the banning and its like a seal. And now Ithelia is "free" its broken

If it is a blue star that flickers in the middle from this video...

then I hope there is lore about Mnemo-Li..

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Mnemo-Li

All I see is Sauron wearing some blue contacts.
    onskietnofr2.png

CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be so cool to fight Vanus' evil twin??!!

Does he have a moustache or an eyepatch so we can distinguish him from the good one? Not that I - accidentally - kill the wrong one.
    And yeah! I would LOVE if some of the dungeons released this year were, in fact, places we've been before (but their alternate reality versions!). Like how about an alternate reality version of Grahtwood as a dungeon? Maybe everything is on fire because Mehrunes Dagon managed to destroy most of Valenwood due to the Tribunal being unable to stop him??
    Maybe the planemeld actually managed to be successful?? So many possibilities!! :):)

Indeed, so many possibilities. I'm not sure though how creative they'll get, so I better keep my expectations low not to be disappointed in the end.

LOL, Syldras!! :D

Leave it to a Telvanni researcher to "accidentally" kill the Archmage. ;);)

But darnit, now I want to see Vanus with a funny moustache. That would be HILARIOUS.

And yeah...I know I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, but I'm so gosh darned excited!!!!

Falinesti! Falinesti! I hope at least we get Falinesti! :):):)
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    You know what?

Ithelia is the Prince of Fate, Destiny and Altered Paths.

What if the reason this Mages Guild Symbol is similar (but with feathers) is because this is an ALTERNATE REALITY version of the Mages' Guild?

Like the Mages Guild did not form the way we know it to exist because Ithelia is involved and Funky Fate things happened? Like, maybe Vanus Galerion isn't even the archmage of this other version of the guild? And stuff.

Seeing Kevin's finalized video of the stained glass....All I can think of when I see that center crystal bursty thingy is that it looks like a portal. Especially with the Fargrave symbols spinning like they're powering this portal too!

A portal to another dimension! An alternative version of Tamriel! Like we're looking into a cracked mirror and traveling someplace that's similar yet different.

Finally someone else that's mentioned Ithelia, it seemed like I was the only one still interested in her being a thing, especially since her existence is kinda the key point behind the Necrom story.

I wouldn't be all that surprised over ZOS introducing some Multiverse theory stuff into Elder Scrolls. It would be interesting to see a Mundus that had Ithelia at the helm, since Mora basically claimed she had direct control over existence itself, she's the closest thing to a true God out of all the Daedric Princes.

Thank you, my friend! Yeah I was wondering...this is meant to be the next portion of the Necrom storyline, right? So Ithelia HAS to make some kind of an appearance (or at least, make an attempted "I wanna exist again" appearance).

And yes! Wouldn't it be interested to see what kind of world Ithelia would have had in mind? Mora definitely gave the impression that the whole reason he sealed her away ("non-existanced her"), was because she had the power and the will to make BIG SWEEPING CHANGES to how Tamriel worked.

It would be interesting to see such a power in action: are there limitations? Can she change ANYTHING? Are there a series of constants that cannot be changed? Can she help us kill that [insert curse word here] Molag Bal permanently??? >:) Etc etc....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /
    You know what?

What if the reason this Mages Guild Symbol is similar (but with feathers) is because this is an ALTERNATE REALITY version of the Mages' Guild?

Like the Mages Guild did not form the way we know it to exist because Ithelia is involved and Funky Fate things happened? Like, maybe Vanus Galerion isn't even the archmage of this other version of the guild? And stuff.

Seeing Kevin's finalized video of the stained glass....All I can think of when I see that center crystal bursty thingy is that it looks like a portal. Especially with the Fargrave symbols spinning like they're powering this portal too!

A portal to another dimension! An alternative version of Tamriel! Like we're looking into a cracked mirror and traveling someplace that's similar yet different.

Finally someone else that's mentioned Ithelia, it seemed like I was the only one still interested in her being a thing, especially since her existence is kinda the key point behind the Necrom story.

I wouldn't be all that surprised over ZOS introducing some Multiverse theory stuff into Elder Scrolls. It would be interesting to see a Mundus that had Ithelia at the helm, since Mora basically claimed she had direct control over existence itself, she's the closest thing to a true God out of all the Daedric Princes.

Thank you, my friend! Yeah I was wondering...this is meant to be the next portion of the Necrom storyline, right? So Ithelia HAS to make some kind of an appearance (or at least, make an attempted "I wanna exist again" appearance).

And yes! Wouldn't it be interested to see what kind of world Ithelia would have had in mind? Mora definitely gave the impression that the whole reason he sealed her away ("non-existanced her"), was because she had the power and the will to make BIG SWEEPING CHANGES to how Tamriel worked.

It would be interesting to see such a power in action: are there limitations? Can she change ANYTHING? Are there a series of constants that cannot be changed? Can she help us kill that [insert curse word here] Molag Bal permanently??? >:) Etc etc....

xrcczu091idu.png
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    virtus753 wrote: »
    There are exactly 16 leaves along with the fragment and the letter, four each of four color schemes. They range from dark yellow with a red tinge on the edges to full deep red, as can be seen at the link in the OP.

I'm not sure if there's any significance to the number (although it nicely fits the four trees) or to the deepening red (aside from reinforcing the suggestion of autumn).

The number seems to be random.

The number distributed is random, or the number 16 is random?

the number of leaves is definitely random because i have 23 leaves.

I had to wrestle my package out of the hands of the Daedra who conspired to keep it from me, but it came with 19.

I can also confirm that no secret messages are evident in the leaves or letter.

Hmmm…it obviously has the properties of an Elder Scroll since the number of the leaves keeps changing every time they are counted.

I got 20 leaves. Took me about 5 tries to get them counted right, because they kept sticking together! Gonna have to find a frame so I can hang the shard, the letter, and the leaves up where I can give it a gobsmacked grin every time I see it...

Such a fun thing to receive!

[Edit for typos]

I wish I knew how people got their hands on these lol. Congratulations to all who got one though!
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know what?

Vestige “Can Ithelia change anything?
    Hermaeus Mora “Yes. No. Anything except the stuck in combat bug”
    Edited by dcrush on January 12, 2024 5:04PM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /
    You know what?

xrcczu091idu.png

Absolutely not. :):):)

dcrush wrote: »
    You know what?

LOL :D:D
    ~~~
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on January 12, 2024 5:10PM
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dcrush wrote: »

Well, this is a perfectly reasonable way to trap the daedric prince and prevent it from porting out of its prison - get it stuck in combat.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, what am I supposed to do if I can't tell them apart? If Nirn's fate is dependent on it, it would probably be safer to kill both of them just to make sure :p
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, what am I supposed to do if I can't tell them apart? If Nirn's fate is dependent on it, it would probably be safer to kill both of them just to make sure :p

...Ok, that's a fair point. A fair point indeed. There's that "Telvanni Efficiency" you all are famous for! :D

I'm sure the real Vanus would understand, LOL. :D:D:D

~~~~

Just had another thought. Ok, so I picture it like this:

Hermaeus Mora: Ok, Vestige. It is up to you to choose which world gets to be permanent. Click on the blue button if you want to keep the world as it is, or click on the red button if you want Ithelia's world to be the new world.

Vestige: First, I'm going to hear Ithelia out and see what her world sounds like.

Mora: Remember, Ithelia is an absolute God in her world. You would likely have to bow before her and pay tribute to survive in it.

Vestige: Hmm... You're right, that does sound kind of depressing and apocalypti---

Ithelia: I can offer to kill Molag Bal permanently so that he never causes you trouble and your House Ravenwatch friends are permanently freed from their contracts to him.

Vestige: .....On second thought, worshipping Ithelia doesn't sound all that ba--

Ithelia: I'll also kill Meridia and bring back Darien.

Vestige: [VIOLENTLY AND REPEATEDLY SLAMS THE RED BUTTON]

Mora: You could have at least made me feel better by hesitating a little LONGER, you know.

~~~
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on January 12, 2024 5:27PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...Ok, that's a fair point. A fair point indeed. There's that "Telvanni Efficiency" you all are famous for! :D

Oh, I'm sure he would! Would he? I mean,... We could resurrect him as a thrall afterwards and ask?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I'm sure he would! Would he? I mean,... We could resurrect him as a thrall afterwards and ask?

Careful now. You'll make poor Mannimarco jealous. :p
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Syldra, @Wolf_Eye - you guys are cracking me up!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, no need to worry. I was planning to sell Vanus to Mannimarco anyway as soon as he starts to rot. Don't want that stench in my tower. That would be a horrible mistake to keep his corpse for longer than neccessary.

Not that I never made mistakes, to be honest! When I was younger I once "acquired" a Hlaalu to demand ransom from his relatives. No one was willing to pay :(
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked both Google Bard and Bing's AI to analyze the hint, without looking at what everyone was saying about it, and Bing initially failed to get anything. It did not want to try but after poking it a bit, and giving it Bard's results, I got something from it. Bard gave the following. I found some of it interesting, but I think both were off base.

Bard
    1. Wheel with Eight Spokes:

Akatosh, the Dragon God of Time: The eight spokes could represent the eight divine provinces of Oblivion, Akatosh's domain.
    The Sheogorad Wheel: Represents madness and the unpredictable nature of change.
    Eight Divines Symbol: Represents the eight major deities worshipped in Tamriel, potentially hinting at a conflict or alliance between them.
    2. Four-Pointed Star:

Daedric Star: Symbolizes the Daedric Princes, potentially hinting at a Daedric invasion or involvement in the next chapter.
    Symbol of the Psijic Order: Represents knowledge, mystery, and the manipulation of time, hinting at their potential involvement in the chapter's plot.
    Malkoran Symbol: Represents the ancient Dwemer civilization, suggesting possible ruins or technology to be explored.
    3. Twelve Smaller Circles:

The Elder Scrolls: Each circle could represent one of the Elder Scrolls, hinting at their activation or a quest to collect them.
    The Twelve Moons of Masser: Represents the moons of Nirn, potentially signifying a lunar event or influence.
    Signs of the Zodiac: Symbolic of fate, prophecy, and potential destiny changes in the upcoming chapter.
    4. Geometric Shapes:

Triangular Motif of the Dunmer: Represents the three aspects of their goddess Azura, potentially hinting at Dunmeri involvement.
    Squares of Cyrodiil: Represents the Imperial Legion and their potential role in the story.
    Hexagonal Motif of the Dwemer: Further supports the possibility of Dwemer ruins or technology being a major element.
    5. Plants and Animals:

Lunar Moth: Associated with prophecy and the changing tides of fate, hinting at major plot twists or revelations.
    Dragon Symbol: Represents the Dragonborn and their potential role in the upcoming events.
    Specific Plants or Animals from Different Regions: Could offer clues about the location of the new chapter or hidden secrets within that region.

Bing
    EDIT:
    With a bit more poking and prodding I got the following generated by Bing.

This image appears to be a teaser for the upcoming chapter of Elder Scrolls Online. The emblem or seal in the center of the image is the most prominent feature, with a large blue gem at its center and intricate symbols surrounding it. The symbols could potentially be linked to specific elements, characters, or events within the Elder Scrolls universe.

Based on my search results, I found that crystals and gems are an important part of the Elder Scrolls lore. For example, Aeonstone is a green stone that can be found throughout mines in southern Elsweyr. Though it has no intrinsic power, aeonstone has the unique capability to store and amplify magical energy. In this state, the aeonstone becomes empowered and glows with a bright green hue. This unique property was discovered by the New Moon Cult, who would engage in ritualistic sacrifice to empower themselves and their masters. Many cultists used aeonstone in their armor. These stones would then allow cultists to greatly empower their own sorcery with this magic, even allowing necromancers to resurrect and enslave Dragons. Absorbing stored energy from aeonstone can be extremely dangerous for mortals, and improper usage can wreak havoc on the mage’s body 1.

It’s possible that the central gem and surrounding symbols in the image are related to crystals and gems in the Elder Scrolls universe. However, without more information, it’s difficult to say for certain what the image represents. I hope this information helps you in your quest to uncover the secrets of the next Elder Scrolls chapter! 🧙‍♂️
    Edited by Tornaad on January 12, 2024 9:49PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not going to happen but I'm still holding out for Crossplay being announced to be coming with the Chapter.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always been in the back of my mind that Ithelia is part of the story.

Something that Arkhaniir mentioned on Twitter got me thinking about this.
    I don't think that even Mora can eliminate a Daedric Prince, so what happened to Ithelia? She didn't just disappear. She could have been killed, but even Mora would know she would be reformed and the problem would return. Mora couldn't just kick it down the calendar and then make everyone forget.

The image we think is Mephala has also bugged me. We know that Peryite and Vaermina are involved, so what is Mephala doing there?

What if Ithelia and Mephala are the same Daedric Prince and that is the secret that Mora holds in the last memory?

How the Falinesti and Skingrad fit into this, I am not sure, but Arkhaniir sort of connected all that together, except for the part where Mora fits in. Maybe this is now Mora fits in.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are exactly 16 leaves along with the fragment and the letter, four each of four color schemes. They range from dark yellow with a red tinge on the edges to full deep red, as can be seen at the link in the OP.

I'm not sure if there's any significance to the number (although it nicely fits the four trees) or to the deepening red (aside from reinforcing the suggestion of autumn).

The number seems to be random.

The number distributed is random, or the number 16 is random?

Hero of None (via Twitter) got 9. Msradcore (via Twitter) got 20. Lady Ase (via Twitter) got 21, by count in a picture. Someone else got 16 and another got 19, but I don't have those names at hand. I have been watching to see if the number of leaves means anything. It is just random. A handful.

Fascinating. Thanks for the update.

I am appreciating the square of a square even more now.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tornaad wrote: »
    I asked both Google Bard and Bing's AI to analyze the hint, without looking at what everyone was saying about it, and Bing initially failed to get anything. It did not want to try but after poking it a bit, and giving it Bard's results, I got something from it. Bard gave the following. I found some of it interesting, but I think both were off base.

Those lore snippets, mostly from the UESP it seems, are nice on their own, but I also don't see any real link to the picture. AI picture recognition is still quite underdeveloped, to be fair.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nah, no need to worry. I was planning to sell Vanus to Mannimarco anyway as soon as he starts to rot. Don't want that stench in my tower. That would be a horrible mistake to keep his corpse for longer than neccessary.

Oh uhh....How um. How thoughtful you are, Syldras. :D

Not that I never made mistakes, to be honest! When I was younger I once "acquired" a Hlaalu to demand ransom from his relatives. No one was willing to pay :(

Daaaang. That's in the top ten "How to Tell Your Relative that they are Disowned from the Family without Telling Your Relative that they are Disowned from the Family".

#4: Refuse to pay the ransom when a horrible murderou----um....innovative Telvanni kidnaps them.

Y-yes. Innovative Telvanni. Inspiring Telvanni. Illustrious even! Telvanni do take to compliments well, right?
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that even Mora can eliminate a Daedric Prince, so what happened to Ithelia? She didn't just disappear. She could have been killed, but even Mora would know she would be reformed and the problem would return. Mora couldn't just kick it down the calendar and then make everyone forget.

The image we think is Mephala has also bugged me. We know that Peryite and Vaermina are involved, so what is Mephala doing there?

What if Ithelia and Mephala are the same Daedric Prince and that is the secret that Mora holds in the last memory?

How the Falinesti and Skingrad fit into this, I am not sure, but Arkhaniir sort of connected all that together, except for the part where Mora fits in. Maybe this is now Mora fits in.

Oh you know? That's a really good idea!
    So basically Ithelia is to Mephala the way Jyggalag is to Sheogorath.

That makes sense! And we certainly know this has happened before! So we know the Princes are capable of pulling a stunt like this off; "murdering" a fellow Prince by permanently changing them.

Mephala is the mistress of secrets and plots, which is kind of like Fate, right? Webspinner, "Fate" spinner, same difference.

Plus, UESP's article on here has the following: it describes her as "Mora's sister", who is interested in secret knowledge like him. But she likes exclusively secret knowledge, whereas Mora likes all knoweldge.

This could be interesting.
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That makes sense! And we certainly know this has happened before! So we know the Princes are capable of pulling a stunt like this off; "murdering" a fellow Prince by permanently changing them.

Mephala is the mistress of secrets and plots, which is kind of like Fate, right? Webspinner, "Fate" spinner, same difference.

Plus, UESP's article on here has the following: it describes her as "Mora's sister", who is interested in secret knowledge like him. But she likes exclusively secret knowledge, whereas Mora likes all knoweldge.

I higgghhly doubt Bethesda gave Zos permission to change Mephala backstory entirely all for one chapter's storyline. We're on the verge of extreme bogus theories. You can count me out indefinitely if they break existing lore like this.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I higgghhly doubt Bethesda gave Zos permission to change Mephala backstory entirely all for one chapter's storyline. We're on the verge of extreme bogus theories. You can count me out indefinitely if they break existing lore like this.

I get it, kind of agree too. However, Bethesda changes lore all the time. Plus, Bethesda’s new timeline of games means we will get only 2 TES games from them in the next 25 years basically. ESO and ZOS will be the main source of added lore for a long time.

Edited by OtarTheMad on January 13, 2024 5:08AM
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unstealthy Bosmer would like to have a word with you....
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it is not ayleid, maybe it a nedic symbol
    zqasu3gsdjud.png

wyH7yhS.png
    Samuel Crow - Nachtklinge - PC-EU-DC
    Saint_Crow Twitch / Youtube
    ESO Stream Team Partner
    Noractis
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They change lore all the time. And invent new big events, traces of which - logically - should be present somehow in later eras, but of course there's nothing about all this in the other games. It's how it is. Otherwise the stories they could tell would be really limited. As long as it's not too contradictory, I'm fine with that.
    Daaaang. That's in the top ten "How to Tell Your Relative that they are Disowned from the Family without Telling Your Relative that they are Disowned from the Family".
    #4: Refuse to pay the ransom when a horrible murderou----um....innovative Telvanni kidnaps them.
    Y-yes. Innovative Telvanni. Inspiring Telvanni. Illustrious even! Telvanni do take to compliments well, right?

What are you trying to insinuate? I am a very friendly person, I just needed money for my research! Should I have worked in some shady cornerclub instead? No, thank you, that would be absurd! Do I look like Syldras the bartender or Syldras the tavern wench to you?! Maybe Vanus Galerion has done something like that when he was younger, but we Telvanni surely don't!

I'm friendly. Very, very friendly. I'm so friendly I would even try to save Nirn from the occasional world-destroying Daedric or non-Daedric threat! ...Okay. Let's be honest: I'm doing that for the tea. Where would I get tea from if Nirn would suddenly stop existing? Or exist in a, um, state that makes growing tea quite hasslesome? The planes of Oblivion are no appropriate alternative. Have you ever tasted Daedric tea? It's awful!
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They change lore all the time. And invent new big events, traces of which - logically - should be present somehow in later eras, but of course there's nothing about all this in the other games. It's how it is. Otherwise the stories they could tell would be really limited. As long as it's not too contradictory, I'm fine with that.

ZOS has invented a ton of persistent lore that does not exist in previous games. Some people think that some "Dragon break" will happen to erase it all and set things right in the lore-verse, but I doubt that they will do this. They don't have to. The prior TES games have already accounted for what happened in the 2nd Era by demonstrating that they don't care enough to wonder why a chunk of history is missing.

My guess is that ends with TES 6, which will include "newly discovered" lore references to events that happen in ESO.

They set ESO in the 2nd Era during a time when not much was documented and ran with the basic premise that the formal record of what happened was not well known in the 3rd Era. Perhaps, they would have been wiser to sit down and build out the history of Tamriel into the 5th Era and place ESO right after that. The more nimble MMO version could easily account for any changes that the much slower single player game was likely to do to the timeline. If they set it 2000 years in the future of TES 5, those changes would be probably be minimal.
    I higgghhly doubt Bethesda gave Zos permission to change Mephala backstory entirely all for one chapter's storyline.

I don't think we can say what Bethesda will, or will not, allow ZOS to do.

For Necrom they invented a whole new Daedric Prince that appears nowhere in any material that has ever been generated by Bethesda for the other games. The historical events upon which the Necrom story was built already changed the backstory, and in a manner that would have never been recorded.

Keep in mind that the backstory of all of the Daedric Princes is hearsay. It could be lies, or stories that changed over thousands of years, or both. No one knows what happened, and when we finally do get to recorded history, no one can say that the history that was recorded was accurate to actual events.

As for whether my idea is something ZOS will do? I have no idea. Probably not. It is well outside of the box, but if I can think of it, so can they. They definitely set the stage for it.
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS has invented a ton of persistent lore that does not exist in previous games. Some people think that some "Dragon break" will happen to erase it all and set things right in the lore-verse, but I doubt that they will do this. They don't have to. The prior TES games have already accounted for what happened in the 2nd Era by demonstrating that they don't care enough to wonder why a chunk of history is missing.

My guess is that ends with TES 6, which will include "newly discovered" lore references to events that happen in ESO.

They set ESO in the 2nd Era during a time when not much was documented and ran with the basic premise that the formal record of what happened was not well known in the 3rd Era. Perhaps, they would have been wiser to sit down and build out the history of Tamriel into the 5th Era and place ESO right after that. The more nimble MMO version could easily account for any changes that the much slower single player game was likely to do to the timeline. If they set it 2000 years in the future of TES 5, those changes would be probably be minimal.
    I higgghhly doubt Bethesda gave Zos permission to change Mephala backstory entirely all for one chapter's storyline.

For Necrom they invented a whole new Daedric Prince that appears nowhere in any material that has ever been generated by Bethesda for the other games. The historical events upon which the Necrom story was built already changed the backstory, and in a manner that would have never been recorded.

Keep in mind that the backstory of all of the Daedric Princes is hearsay. It could be lies, or stories that changed over thousands of years, or both. No one knows what happened, and when we finally do get to recorded history, no one can say that the history that was recorded was accurate to actual events.

As for whether my idea is something ZOS will do? I have no idea. Probably not. It is well outside of the box, but if I can think of it, so can they. They definitely set the stage for it.

Totally agree! You only have to look at Vicec's story to realise how fictionalised the "lore" can be - I always think of it the same was as most look at things like the bible, more allegory than literal.

For me changing Mephala's backstory in this way would be brilliant and in keeping with how Mora works. Far easier to hide something in plain sight than erase it. After all, the whole point of the storyline is to keep it secret so they can change whatever they want as long as Mora wins and it stays secret
    PS4 EU
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was mainly pointing out how changing the whole backstory of Mephala is dumb right now. The Ithelia garbage can be erased though. I assume/hope that's actually going to happen. Sure add things but don't change established character backstory.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I.... had already thought about that, back when hints about TES VI almost disappeared. It occurred to me that they might be rethinking/reworking TES VI because of what was going on in ESO.

I'm good with that, personally. I also think the Mephala/Ithelia dichotomy could be a really great thing. It's not like we don't already have a "meld" similar in Jyggalag/Sheo/the Hero.

Hmmm. I wonder.... if each of the daedra have a "lighter" or "darker" counterpart and we just haven't seen them all yet?
    Edited by TaSheen on January 13, 2024 3:23PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....