Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will skill key bind's ever be enhanced to allow combination key binds?

chicnstu219ub17_ESO
Current default key binds are much too limited. Will there be any enhancements to the key binds to allow combinations? Such as MB4+MB1, MB4+MB2, ctrl+MB1 to use my skills? I am inhibited by the clunky default 1,2,3,4,5 key bind system, I believe this should be possible to do since MB1+MB2 (interrupt) is a possible key bind. I enjoy this game very much, but would like it if there was more customization to use my skills. As a long time MMORPG player I have learned that the less you have to fumble around the better,I like combination key binds to limit mouse/keyboard hand movements and reduce the number of times I visually compromise my character to look at the keyboard to ensure I am hitting the correct skill key bind.
Edited by chicnstu219ub17_ESO on May 16, 2014 12:41PM
  • Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭
    I am with you on this one, genrally i also do the multiple keybinds with shift1 shift f etc etc, maybe an addon could be made to allow it?
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Please "Agree" with my post if you share my thoughts on this. Maybe if enough people are engaged we can expedite this enhancement.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Trouvo wrote: »
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I would support this. I know that people will argue that there are so few skills that you don't need many keys, so why do you need modified keybinds? However, I like to do similar things on all MMOs so that I can switch between them and not get everyone killed because I forgot my keybinds.

For example, my main AoE ability is on 5 on all characters on all MMOs. This is fine as 5 is a skill in ESO too. However, I also use alt+3 and ctrl+6 for potions. I can't use either for the potion in ESO so I will be forced (when I can be bothered using potions) to come up with a different key which will probably confuse me as I switch between games.
  • Sinnach
    Sinnach
    Being left handed and using direction arrows for movement being able to assign more functions to the mouse would make me a much more efficient player to be sure
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

No no one could tell you they NEVER have, thats the point of practice, as I dont have that problem anymore...granted I have been gaming since dos when I was 4 years old.....I'm now 27, and mostly play rpg's and fps games so plenty of experience using the number keys while using WASD
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    Sinnach wrote: »
    Being left handed and using direction arrows for movement being able to assign more functions to the mouse would make me a much more efficient player to be sure

You could try the IJKL route opposite to WASD, or even the numpad, tho I could not state the efficiency of such being right handed, just an option and seen use in the past
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    You could just create macros for your mouse buttons. Any mouse that has extra buttons to do what you want should support macros and provide some software for managing them.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO

No no one could tell you they NEVER have, thats the point of practice, as I dont have that problem anymore...granted I have been gaming since dos when I was 4 years old.....I'm now 27, and mostly play rpg's and fps games so plenty of experience using the number keys while using WASD

The point I am trying to make is with enough practice using the combination key binds I NEVER miss a skill, because I don't even need to look or feel which key I am pressing.
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    You can use a macroing tool to do this: my personal favorite is AutoHotkey, though there's also AutoIt, and others.
    However, there are limits. For example, you can macro ctrl-3 to send '5' or indeed any key combo that already works, with a script as simple as:
    ^3::5

But you can't macro ctrl-3 to "find the item in my inventory and use it". Well, you could, but it probably wouldn't be elegant: every time you hit the hotkey, your inventory would come up, your mouse would move to scroll your inventory and then doubleclick click the relevant item when it came into view, then your inventory would close again; if you inadvertently clicked while all that was going on, you'd mess it up.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get a mouse with more than 3 or 4 buttons? I have the Razer Mouse with 6 buttons on the side. Works amazingly well for a game with 5 skills.. This won't be changed though. They want this to keep a feel of TES. If you get to where you can bind 20 skills and use everything that isn't TES
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Get a mouse with more than 3 or 4 buttons? I have the Razer Mouse with 6 buttons on the side. Works amazingly well for a game with 5 skills.. This won't be changed though. They want this to keep a feel of TES. If you get to where you can bind 20 skills and use everything that isn't TES

I've got a Razer Death Adder because I dislike all those buttons on my mouse. They already have a MB1+MB2 functionality, they should be able to simply add the possibility of other combinations. I don't even think it would take much effort.
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭

The point I am trying to make is with enough practice using the combination key binds I NEVER miss a skill, because I don't even need to look or feel which key I am pressing.

lol the point you are missing is that with practice you wont either, I have not missed a skill(use of number key while WSADing) in idk how long....
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO

lol the point you are missing is that with practice you wont either, I have not missed a skill(use of number key while WSADing) in idk how long....

You obviously don't care about this implementation, and I don't want to have to conform to this default system "just because that's the way it is." I'd like to see if they acknowledge that this is something they should enhance, regardless of how many skills I'm capable of binding at one time.
  • terrabeck
    terrabeck
    This would be very different, people who have keybinds with combos would have a slight advantage of people who don't. This could also lead to major glitches such as when you don't have enough magicka to preform that keybind. Then you could run into major glitches, like you can't regenerate magicka, or you cant cast spells until that one fires, and a few other big ones. It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,
    obviously there are more than 5 spells and some combine to make great combos,
    but if you had all these spells then a templar would be good at healing dps-ing and tanking. So here is a short list of reasons this would sadly, not work.
  • Hadax
    Hadax
    I agree key modifiers are a must. This has nothing to do with skill or being able to bind more than 5 skills. I don't even see how they can be used to ad more than 5 skills. This is about personal preference. I use an M90 and a Cyber Snipa gamepad but I still want modifiers so I can do stuff like Alt+1-9 for quick simple access to menus like character and inventory instead of taking my hand off the mouse or gamepad to hit a key or mousing up to the menu button.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    terrabeck wrote: »
    This would be very different, people who have keybinds with combos would have a slight advantage of people who don't. This could also lead to major glitches such as when you don't have enough magicka to preform that keybind. Then you could run into major glitches, like you can't regenerate magicka, or you cant cast spells until that one fires, and a few other big ones. It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,
    but if you had all these spells then a templar would be good at healing dps-ing and tanking. So here is a short list of reasons this would sadly, not work.

Hadax is correct, I am simply suggesting allowing multiple bind options for ANY of the key binds in the current list, but my main concern would be for 1,2,3,4,5 skills.
  • DewiMorgan
    DewiMorgan
    ✭✭✭
    They already have a MB1+MB2 functionality, they should be able to simply add the possibility of other combinations.

Here you go: an AutoHotKey script for roughly what you want (leftmouse and middle does "5"; rightmouse and middle does "4".
    LButton & MButton::5
    RButton & MButton::4

Job done!
  • Godless_Heathen
    Completely agree, the key bind limitations so far have brought me back 20 years in pvp gaming.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,

Eh? You can only access the skills that you slot. How could having modified keybinds affect that?
  • dietlime
    dietlime
    ✭✭✭✭

I can tell you that I have never hit the wrong key with the Q Z X C F system.

If you can't handle six keys, you should probably realize what this means and re-evaluate your own video game skill level. Average gamers have no problem juggling 6 things.
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭

You obviously don't care about this implementation, and I don't want to have to conform to this default system "just because that's the way it is." I'd like to see if they acknowledge that this is something they should enhance, regardless of how many skills I'm capable of binding at one time.

whether or not it is added is no concern to me that is correct, but what I am saying is that if for some reason they do not add this at any point, I wanted to assure you its not impossible and just takes some getting used, the best way to get them to notice something is to do /feedback in game, in the interim using an application to interrupt your input would be the best alternative
  • MisterToe
    MisterToe
    ✭✭
    I bought a Logitech G600 to use with ESO. It has 12 macro keys under the thumb, I use the first 6. I know it's not an ideal solution & more customization would be better, but it's not a bad solution either.
    "I wrote Bethesda in 1997 about them making an MMO, so yeah, i'm pretty passionate about this one." -MisterToe
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    dietlime wrote: »

If you can't handle six keys, you should probably realize what this means and re-evaluate your own video game skill level. Average gamers have no problem juggling 6 things.

You are a gaming noob if you don't recognize the benefits of key modifiers.
    Edited by Gohlar on April 2, 2014 2:59PM
  • Hadax
    Hadax
    I don't want to have to learn to use a third party app just to make simple non threatening keybinds that can and have been used in almost every PC game ever made. Give me undeniable proof that the lack of key-modifiers will stop macros, hacks and bots and I will rethink my position.
  • terrabeck
    terrabeck
    Thete wrote: »
    It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,

Eh? You can only access the skills that you slot. How could having modified keybinds affect that?
    you could have 2 spells on each keybind. This way you essentially have 10 different spells.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    [ if for some reason they do not add this at any point, I wanted to assure you its not impossible and just takes some getting used,

So how would you suggest I solve my particular issue (which modified keybinds that do nobody any harm would easily solve)?
  • SK1TZ0FR3N1K
    SK1TZ0FR3N1K
    ✭✭✭
    I would just be happy with key-binds to travel across the account, instead of having to set them back up for each character.
    “There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Gohlar wrote: »
    dietlime wrote: »

You are a gaming noob if you don't recognize the benefits of key modifiers.

Completely agree. The fact of the matter is, I didn't post this for people to judge one another. Combination key binds are a VERY common feature and I was surprised ESO did not have it. My only intention is the attempt to have them recognize this as a "necessary" enhancement that will improve both the "personal customization" and enable customers to have a more seamless game play experience.
    Edited by chicnstu219ub17_ESO on April 2, 2014 3:07PM