Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will skill key bind's ever be enhanced to allow combination key binds?

• Hilandra
    Hilandra
    ✭✭
    I sure hope they will add it.
  • Rach71
    Rach71
    Been playing MMOS forever (I was in the beta of Ultima Online, and bought the original wing commander from an actual store) I broke down and bought the Logitec MMO Mouse

I got tired of all the odd twister-esque finger movements on the keyboard. Now the majority of my skills are there with my right thumb with the 12 keys there.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This amusing. I have never played an MMO before. I have been playing video games since Doom and controls are important.

I'm amused people care much about menu access. I just put the whole thing on "i" and use the mouse. I need some of those key bindings.

What matters is combat. The rest is just what you do when you are managing resources.

I have always used ASDLeftAlt for movement and I have a Logitech Trackball Pro with 3 useful extra buttons. I have no trouble using 'Shift' in battle for easy casts like an armor etc. I use 'Z' for a skill, 'X' for run, it's a Stalker thing, and 'C' for my ultimate. With the 3 on the trackball I am set. I use '1' to switch sets.

I have a blast with this setup across six chars and always am way out of my area. My silly witch is killing stuff 6 - 8 above her routinely. I have mostly red quests now. I just go ahead, it worried me for a bit, and it all works out except for the odd boss.

The '/' to enter chat is perfect.

• lesso
    lesso
    while i often hit 6 when im aiming for 5 this is a needless suggestion so long as your not drunk like i am now... pressing 1-5 for skills while you move with wasd is not that difficult in fact if you have ever played a fps game

eg. counter strike you would already be familiar with wasd movement and 1234 for changing weapons so even people who are not familiar with mmo's typical 64+ key-bind combinations of skills mixed with macros to run routines can enjoy this title...
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    lesso wrote: »
    while i often hit 6 when im aiming for 5 this is a needless suggestion so long as your not drunk like i am now... pressing 1-5 for skills while you move with wasd is not that difficult in fact if you have ever played a fps game

eg. counter strike you would already be familiar with wasd movement and 1234 for changing weapons so even people who are not familiar with mmo's typical 64+ key-bind combinations of skills mixed with macros to run routines can enjoy this title...

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've got a few responses. First off your opening comment about hitting 6 instead of 5 validates my concerns as the OP. Second, your statements conflict with one another, you start with something supportive of the OP but then start talking about some judgemental jargen about your FPS experiences. Instead of wasting everyones time posting a bunch of crap in a drunken stupor, next time just please sleep it off.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a touch-typist and have been for most of my life, and I for one would *love* this.

I've already remapped w, a,s, d to be qwerty compliant (s left, d forward, f right, c back -- that way my hand stays in the "proper" rest position when you're typing). What I usually do when I play an MMO -- in the situations where it lets me -- is to try to cram as many MMO commands on the left side of the keyboard as I possibly can. To make that work for a mouse/keyboard setup what I usually do is bind shift and ctrl to the side buttons on my mouse and then chord shift and ctrl with the various command keys.

So for example, in ESO I use A as my "switch from walking to running" button, which is OK (shift is currently my sprint button, which allows me to sprint via mouse). I would rather use A as sprint, shift+A as my "toggle from run to walk," and ctrl+A as my "toggle automove" buttons. The loss of convenience of triggering sprint directly from my mouse would be offset by removing two extra reserved spots from my keyboard. Currently I use G as my "interact with object" button and "5" as my interact with player button. It would be even more convenient if I could use shift+G as my "interact with player" button.

q, w, e, r, t are currently my skill/spell buttons. If I could remap ctrl+t to be my ultimate button, that'd be just great (currently it's "y," which forces me to stretch more than I'd like--I'd probably use my ultimate more if it was ctrl+t). Also I'd be able to use ctrl+q as quickslot and ctrl+w as my switch weapon command, which would be more convenient when I wanted to use those commands in combat while I was moving around (currently it's "3" and "z," respectively).

The nice thing about that setup is that it would free up z, x, v, and b to allow me to bind them to some of the commands available in the Wykkyd addons I use.

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not I'm capable of learning to do it differently, because obviously I'm able to play the game RIGHT NOW, so I can. But I would definitely find that arrangement a lot more convenient and comfortable.

I'd also like to be able to save my preferred keyboard configuration either with my account information or locally, so that I can call it up and apply it whenever I create a new character, because it's annoying to have to set it every time.
  • neocomab16_ESO
    neocomab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    not gonna happen. remember this game is also out for consoles and they have limited input options. so no.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... console games don't support key combinations? You can't hit the square button to do one thing and the triangle and the square button together to do something else?

This is a serious question, I've never used one so I don't know.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also like to be able to save my preferred keyboard configuration either with my account information or locally, so that I can call it up and apply it whenever I create a new character, because it's annoying to have to set it every time.

There's a mod out on ESOUI.com that allows this, something Binder. Huzzah.

... console games don't support key combinations? You can't hit the square button to do one thing and the triangle and the square button together to do something else?

This is a serious question, I've never used one so I don't know.

I don't know specifically, but as far as I know, consoles don't come packaged with a keyboard. The original point is therefore nil; either the user will have purchased a standard keyboard that will allow them to use the same keys as computer, or the user will have no keyboard and therefore be at the mercy of console-oriented menus and already have a completely different experience.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool to learn about the something-binder addon. Looking for it now! Thanks for the info!
    trinta wrote: »
    I don't know specifically, but as far as I know, consoles don't come packaged with a keyboard. The original point is therefore nil; either the user will have purchased a standard keyboard that will allow them to use the same keys as computer, or the user will have no keyboard and therefore be at the mercy of console-oriented menus and already have a completely different experience.

The console-oriented menus shouldn't prevent anyone from accessing the control binding areas, assuming that the game has a dedicated "access menu" button (for the keyboard it is the escape key -- this cannot be changed. I would assume there is a "menu" key on consoles) and a way to navigate the menu structure, which I would assume would be the joysticks and the "fire" button. Note that this is the extent of my knowledge about console controllers.

I want to clarify that my post was focused on ways to modify the keys you press to trigger functionality in game, not about reworking the UI to make it more mouse or PC-friendly overall. Modifying the keys you press to trigger functionality in game isn't something that is exclusive to keyboards -- I can also bind mouse buttons to those functions. I don't see why you couldn't also bind/chord game console buttons as well.

But just because I don't see it, that doesn't mean it isn't there. Maybe console control pads are locked down and restricted to the point where you can only do one button/one function. That's a depressing thought.
    Edited by EramTheLiar on April 15, 2014 4:55PM
  • ShinChuck
    ShinChuck
    ✭✭✭
    not gonna happen. remember this game is also out for consoles and they have limited input options. so no.

Addons.

There's a reason the game is being hosted on separate servers. Keeping them exactly the same is clearly not Bethesda's goal.
    "It's morally wrong to suggest gameplay changes for an MMO."
    ...seriously, someone told me that once here. The things people will do to win their internet arguments!
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    ShinChuck wrote: »

Addons.

There's a reason the game is being hosted on separate servers. Keeping them exactly the same is clearly not Bethesda's goal.

This enhancement would also enable combination inputs for console controllers. Example: PS3: L2 trigger + X, L2 + O, etc. Xbox L-trigger + A, etc. I really am hoping this was just an oversight by development. Hope that clears up some of those thoughts.
  • SonOfGrim
    SonOfGrim
    I'd love to know is will there ever be a function in game to disable the ability to convert items to imperial for me

i think i hate the function because it gives no warning and turning say a rare styled

item by accident would stink also other work around is if they made so u can make

your items locked from morphing the ones u craft like how some set gear item are

like that can't convert the appearance
    Edited by SonOfGrim on May 16, 2014 7:19AM
  • lesso
    lesso
    You're entitled to your opinion, but I've got a few responses. First off your opening comment about hitting 6 instead of 5 validates my concerns as the OP. Second, your statements conflict with one another, you start with something supportive of the OP but then start talking about some judgemental jargen about your FPS experiences. Instead of wasting everyones time posting a bunch of crap in a drunken stupor, next time just please sleep it off.

Would you like some food Mr troll?

My opening comment was more to give context to the occasional mishap of pressing the wrong key, it wasn't intended to be supportive of the OP in any way merely my personal experience while intoxicated.

Once again using past experience as a platform of comparison between game control sets the majority of PC based first person shooter games have used similar formats for well over a decade and for good reasons.

Sure if you have a disability these may not be ideal however there are options available to assist in those cases.

What the OP is likely seeking in my opinion is the ability to automate game play without having to use 3rd party tools.

Enjoy your meal Mr troll B)
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    lesso wrote: »

Would you like some food Mr troll?

My opening comment was more to give context to the occasional mishap of pressing the wrong key, it wasn't intended to be supportive of the OP in any way merely my personal experience while intoxicated.

Once again using past experience as a platform of comparison between game control sets the majority of PC based first person shooter games have used similar formats for well over a decade and for good reasons.

Sure if you have a disability these may not be ideal however there are options available to assist in those cases.

What the OP is likely seeking in my opinion is the ability to automate game play without having to use 3rd party tools.

Enjoy your meal Mr troll B)

Since I am the OP I'll tell you exactly what I'm seeking. I'm seeking the option to allow me to hold the mouse 4 button, then press the mouse 1 button and have the key bind options area acknowledge the fact that I pressed two keys to trigger that particular skill or key bind option (and then have all the other key bind option boxes to allow that sort of combination as well). And I'm no troll, you're the one publicly announcing your inebriation so what do you expect? People to take you seriously? C'mon now.
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on April 28, 2014 12:23PM
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is why they didn't just start players off with the basic "1, 2, 3, 4, and 5", then beyond the tutorial stages, gave players the option to create a larger action bar with more options as well as make more room for extra MB keys. It would kind of make more sense and certainly integrate their new system with more ease.
    "Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how I love my Belkin N52. I use my mouse for moving and use the N52 left handed. The only reason I need to touch the keyboard is to chat. I can program the keys to do anything and put the most used actions on the keys easiest to reach. If you play any game that requires lots of different keyboard inputs I strongly suggest you pick one up or one of the many other types out there. They work great for all kinds of games.
  • lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Trouvo wrote: »
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

way to troll

i agree with OP. this would be very nice to see, i'm sure even mr perfect here would use it too once his high horse lets him see ground!
  • cj63romulus
    cj63romulus
    ✭✭
    This is not WOW.
  • rapidpalsy
    rapidpalsy
    Soul Shriven
    I am left handed. And as a left hander I have always had to adapt to control setups. This game is no different. same setup as Diablo 3 or League. Works great and i have no complaints. As i see it the need for macros and scripting is the outdated part. Dont give people what they want. Just keep giving them what you want. Thank you for this great game.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    This is not WOW.

Do me a favor and don't even mention WOW on this thread, I'm not looking to compare to other games that have had years to develop and enhance to include more intuitive binds.

The point of this thread is to band together in attempt for our voice (or text) to be heard (or read). Of course constructive criticism is welcome on this thread but please flame elsewhere, people on this thread don't need to sift through other peoples flaming posts.

Thanks again to all who participate on this thread as expected. Stay strong! We will be in touch!
  • tstar420
    tstar420
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

No no one could tell you they NEVER have, thats the point of practice, as I dont have that problem anymore...granted I have been gaming since dos when I was 4 years old.....I'm now 27, and mostly play rpg's and fps games so plenty of experience using the number keys while using WASD

I never have... EVAR!!! IM PRO!!!

• Loligo
    Loligo
    ✭✭
    Sinnach wrote: »
    Being left handed and using direction arrows for movement being able to assign more functions to the mouse would make me a much more efficient player to be sure

I'm left handed, and use the mouse on the left side of the keyboard. This permits me to use the arrow keys/type with my right hand, while turning/clicking with my left.
  • Loligo
    Loligo
    ✭✭
    You could just create macros for your mouse buttons. Any mouse that has extra buttons to do what you want should support macros and provide some software for managing them.

I say no to macros. Macro programming offers the most benefit to botters and farmers. No game needs to add fuctionality to support those people.

Yes, I would agree that macros can be handy for honest players, I'll forego that convenience to make it harder for botters.

• SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    Loligo wrote: »
    You could just create macros for your mouse buttons. Any mouse that has extra buttons to do what you want should support macros and provide some software for managing them.

I say no to macros. Macro programming offers the most benefit to botters and farmers. No game needs to add fuctionality to support those people.

Yes, I would agree that macros can be handy for honest players, I'll forego that convenience to make it harder for botters.

Nothing they can do about keyboard macros as they are generated at the OS level and the game just sees them as a series of key strokes. My N52 game pad works the same way. I can set any button on it to give one keystroke or a series of them, to include placing delays between each. I don't find the need to do that and only program each key for a single keystroke but you can get very complex operations with one keystroke and this is NOT game level this is at the device level.

• Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for options in games. Modifier keys for binds would give options.

Coming from MMORPGS that I ran 40-70 key binds, I am very, very familiar with using modifier keys myself.

I have been using this mouse (and older variations) for about 3 years now and highly recommend it.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga

- You can catch them on sale on well known online sales sites for as low as @$65 . One of mine is 3 years old and still going strong after very heavy use.

If that many buttons intimidate you (which you get used to with use and they become second nature) you can check out this newer razer model with less buttons. It seems catered to GW2 and ESO that require way less key binds.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-hex/

Also one more little thing I've picked up over the years I'll share.

http://keytweak.en.softonic.com/

- This program lets you rebind keys on your keyboard to any other key - swapping them around as you wish. It very slightly alters your registries. What is nice is you can very easily set them back to default, or uninstall the program with no issues as it sets everything back to normal. I've been using it for about 5 years now. Never an issue, works in every game / program I have tried.

What I did with this program is turned my Caps Lock Key and My Windows button into extra key binds by setting them to "Home" and "Delete"..but the options are limitless. Highly recommended.
    Edited by Kyotee0071 on April 18, 2014 6:35PM
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭

it is coming out for consoles on a whole different server. PC gamers and console gamers will not be playing the same game so what makes you so sure? i have played plenty of games for both console and pc and the pc version usually has a fair amount of options for remapping your input buttons. is there some special sauce used to make ESO that makes this impossible?
  • jimredtalon
    jimredtalon
    ✭✭✭
    Bla, Bla, Bla, who the heck cares. Just cough of 20 bucks and get a decent mouse. You don't buy a good flight sim and then not play with a joy stick so why wouldn't you just get the right equipment for the job and stop shoving the responsibility off on every one else. And if you don't have the money take a couple of hours out of you game time, no one will miss you I promise, and go earn it. And if you do have the money than stop being lazy and expecting the game to play for you.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Bla, Bla, Bla, who the heck cares. Just cough of 20 bucks and get a decent mouse. You don't buy a good flight sim and then not play with a joy stick so why wouldn't you just get the right equipment for the job and stop shoving the responsibility off on every one else. And if you don't have the money take a couple of hours out of you game time, no one will miss you I promise, and go earn it. And if you do have the money than stop being lazy and expecting the game to play for you.

No one would have missed your judgemental spew either pal. I can buy a mouse any time I want, but I shouldn't have to.
    Happy Easter you flaming troll!