Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will skill key bind's ever be enhanced to allow combination key binds?

• Shubuta
    Shubuta
    I get the 6 skill thing. It's a balance issue more than anything. Dietlime, it's not handling 6 things... it's creating combos with your skills that are better than other people's combos. You can switch "weapons/abilities" at level 15 effectively allowing up to 12 skills available.

Also I think the number of slots is hard bound to your character. Some skills get buffs just from being slotted, being able to have more skills active we could level more skill trees at the same time, break npc balance and probably ability balance.

If you just want to remap them... well I suggest you stop playing games like an amateur and get a gamepad. ;-)

Also MOBA specialized mice work perfectly. I have 1-6 on my mouse, my directions are on a thumb toggle, so I have plenty of space for other UI functionality.

Edited by Shubuta on April 2, 2014 3:14PM
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    Thete wrote: »
    Trouvo wrote: »
    [ if for some reason they do not add this at any point, I wanted to assure you its not impossible and just takes some getting used,

So how would you suggest I solve my particular issue (which modified keybinds that do nobody any harm would easily solve)?

I suggest /feedback in game, also try a keybinder to get your desired effect, you may have to do a little research on google, but even one like keypadder which is designed to enable keybinding for controllers(and works well I might add, used it for morrowind) could still work to give you the desired effect even through your mouse. Some mouse companies like Razer even have applications for their mice to keybind such buttons to other functions, so if yours does not come with one I would suggest checking the companies site for information or another mouse companies' website for an application to do this
    Bloodline|RP Guild|Ebonheart Pact
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    I want to be able to use ctrl and a letter (ie ctrl K) . I like using those types of keyboard combos for various info panels (skills,guild etc) so i can save my single letters and numbers for other things.
  • Artkil
    Artkil
    I really just wish ESO knows the difference between a left and right ALT or CTRL key.. that would be a nice start.. welcome to 2014 it feels like we are playing in 2000...
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    And to those of you who are "masters" of using 1,2,3,4,5 system...my point is this...to use those keys and remove and stretch your fingers from "WASD" inhibits your characters move-ability. I prefer to use all my skills with the mouse and leave my fingers on "WASD" as long as possible.
  • crscams
    crscams
    ✭✭
    There is an addOn That adds 48 macros key bindings very useful
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    And to those of you who are "masters" of using 1,2,3,4,5 system...my point is this...to use those keys and remove and stretch your fingers from "WASD" inhibits your characters move-ability. I prefer to use all my skills with the mouse and leave my fingers on "WASD" as long as possible.

Then you suck at mmos.

Do me a favor, extend your finger to the 5 button and tell me where your pinky and ring fingers are.
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭
    "Stretch" that word reminds me that I forget I have big hands...feel the keyboards I use are almost too small....how small are your hands that you need to stretch to reach them?

Where I rest my hands I can just lay my hand flat and reach the F1 F2 etc keys with ease as well and from my middle knuckle bent straight down is the WSAD keys
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO

Then you suck at mmos.

Do me a favor, extend your finger to the 5 button and tell me where your pinky and ring fingers are.

And again, this post was not opened for people to judge one another. You've never even played with me so you have no idea of my skill level.
  • Arodtwelve
    I have not used a keyboard to move a toon in years. Using the mouse to move frees up WASD to use for keybindings.
    Edited by Arodtwelve on April 2, 2014 3:36PM
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    crscams wrote: »

Thanks, this looks like it may have what I'm looking for. Once the servers come back up I'll check it out.
  • Trouvo
    Trouvo
    ✭✭✭

Then you suck at mmos.

And again, this post was not opened for people to judge one another. You've never even played with me so you have no idea of my skill level.
    my pinky and ring finger dont move till I reach for the 8 key, can hit the 7 key just as comfortable as the 1.....and thats just me lol
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    "Stretch" that word reminds me that I forget I have big hands...feel the keyboards I use are almost too small....how small are your hands that you need to stretch to reach them?

Where I rest my hands I can just lay my hand flat and reach the F1 F2 etc keys with ease as well and from my middle knuckle bent straight down is the WSAD keys

So when I said "stretch" I was simply referring to how some of your other fingers shift depending on which one you are using to execute keys 4 & 5. I should also note that my keyboard keys are fairly spaced out.
  • deathwarding
    I believe there is a reason why the developers have it the way its built currently. Perhaps over time well leave it to the support & updates to add variant to "personal customization". After all we all are paying to play and that's to keep the updates/content coming.
  • goghman
    goghman
    To enjoy an mmo in terms of combat, an mmo mouse is required. I would recommend the naga. Once you have that, you wouldn't worry about combination keybinds, especially for a game with 5 skills,trust me.
  • cappy8_ESO
    goghman wrote: »
    To enjoy an mmo in terms of combat, an mmo mouse is required. I would recommend the naga. Once you have that, you wouldn't worry about combination keybinds, especially for a game with 5 skills,trust me.

I had the naga, it lasted about a year and half before it got done working. I definitely see the arguments about wanting to customize your binded skill keys, however I think at this time, since there are only 6 abilities you can use, they don't have the possibility to change it. I think that if enough people do leave this feedback, it could get implemented soon.

This will definitely be a battle of "preference", there's going to be some people who are used to using 1-0 on the keyboard and doing it all while still in combat. I used shift+1-6 and ctrl+1-6 in other MMO's as well as Z, X, V, F and ctrl and shift with those as well all in previous MMO's. But because of the idea of limiting a person to 12 abilities in combat, and 6 at a time, I honestly am fine with the just 1-5 layout they have now.

I'm sure none of this resolves your issues and as previously posted there will be an addon that will do it, if zenimax doesn't take care of it themselves. Good luck though and hopefully it works out for you my friend.
  • blaketruhlarub17_ESO
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

so you want the game to be made for you not for every one else that enjoys the game how it is?
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

so you want the game to be made for you not for every one else that enjoys the game how it is?

Honestly, I'm tempted not to reply to you at all because your response does not apply to what I said. How could enabling more options in the key bind affect you unless you change it yourself? If you like it that way leave it.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    mutharex wrote: »
    Jesus... OP just accept that you aren't very good at action games and move on...

Once again, post was not opened for people to judge one another. And you have never played with me so you have no idea of my skill level. Flame somewhere else please.
  • Vaalis
    Vaalis

That's why I bind my movement from WASD to ESDF. I don't know who first did the former because the ladder opens up the QA keys for abilities! my 132456 are AQ2TG3 my synergy is 5 and my quickslot is 4.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Vaalis wrote: »

That's why I bind my movement from WASD to ESDF. I don't know who first did the former because the ladder opens up the QA keys for abilities! my 132456 are AQ2TG3 my synergy is 5 and my quickslot is 4.

Interesting concept, never thought of that. If this add-on doesn't do the trick, maybe this will yield some results.
  • WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭
    You guys are missing the point that allowing modifier+keystroke in keybindings is an ACCESSIBILITY issue for people with limited motion or RSI injuries, or who simply have different set-up preferences than you do.
    Instead of each key on my keyboard mapped I like to use a small area and a modifying click; so say I only use 1-5 and WSAD but also shift(1-5) and shift(WSAD), and cmd(1-5) and cmd(WSAD) instead of [ ] ' ; \ - = etc etc etc.
    This is a very important issue not related to macros, skill spamming and "cheating" or using more spells than allowed, it's fundamental accessibility and should be addressed by the game makers.
    «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    WyeVxndzz wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point that allowing modifier+keystroke in keybindings is an ACCESSIBILITY issue for people with limited motion or RSI injuries, or who simply have different set-up preferences than you do.
    Instead of each key on my keyboard mapped I like to use a small area and a modifying click; so say I only use 1-5 and WSAD but also shift(1-5) and shift(WSAD), and cmd(1-5) and cmd(WSAD) instead of [ ] ' ; \ - = etc etc etc.
    This is a very important issue not related to macros, skill spamming and "cheating" or using more spells than allowed, it's fundamental accessibility and should be addressed by the game makers.

Very true. That's a good point.
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest /feedback in game, also try a keybinder to get your desired effect, you may have to do a little research on google, but even one like keypadder

Did you even read my post?
  • DV_Cypher
    DV_Cypher
    Give it a month or so and there will be an addon for that. Probably something like healbot in WOW.
    "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Albert Einstein
  • Desmadona
    Desmadona
    I've been using a Nostromo for a decade and having meta-key binds is very important to me - or was until I bought an Orbweaver. Come to think of it, it's possible that Nostromo and other game pads allow you to do this as well.

What I did was bind my normal shift key (my meta of choice) to a keymap toggle (when it was pressed, the rest of the buttons were bound to different keys and when released, they went back to my main keymap), so it works just as effectively as pressing shift-1, shift-2, etc... It's just more set-up.

There are also keyboard mapping tools that allow you to do this, but they're a pain to set up.

In my opinion, we shouldn't have to go through this effort to play this game using the same controls we use to play other games and it is a major lack of foresight on their part. I'm always disappointed when new games don't incorporate the damn-near necessary options that are already common from other games for no good reason. I understand not including Rift's rockin' macro system because it was really too OP, but key binds? Seriously. Get with the program! Include them! So many of us have moved from the less responsive and intuitive keyboard to game pads, etc...

Add Meta keys!
    -Daria
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Please agree with my original post on page 1 if you feel this functionality should be implemented. The more people that agree, the more reason game makers have to enhance this (or so I hope).
    Edited by chicnstu219ub17_ESO on April 2, 2014 4:42PM
  • Seer
    Seer
    ✭✭
    There aren't enough skills available in a single fight for you to require a multiple key bind. 5 moves 1 ultimate and interrupt. That's all. 7 keys. You can use 1 to 7 or use 1-3 and q e f and g. Done. The short keys for guild group etc. etc. can always be remapped to something else.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Please agree with my original post on page 1 if you feel this functionality should be implemented. The more people that agree, the more reason game makers have to enhance this (or so I hope).
    I'm sorry you have baby hands, get a smaller or remappable keyboard. The game shouldn't be changed just for you either.

And yet another baseless statement that is having 0 affect on anything. The fact of the matter is you won't get any sort of reaction out of me besides this:

This post was not created for people to judge one another.