Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will skill key bind's ever be enhanced to allow combination key binds?

• WyeVxndzz
    WyeVxndzz
    ✭✭✭
    Then you suck at mmos.

This nasty judgemental spew doesn't belong here.

You should apologize.

«♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥» «♥»
    When you're feeling under pressure, do something different. Roll up your sleeves, or eat an orange.
    Be on the look out for things that make you laugh. If you see nothing worth laughing at, pretend you see it, then laugh.
  • Granite
    Granite
    Hadax wrote: »
    Sorry I have to go of topic for a second but there should be some kind of 3 strike system for trolls but then again sometimes its hard to tell the difference between a troll and an idiot. It would be sad to see people banned or limited for something that is out of there control.

Back on topic I would like to see some word from the Devs that explains why this was left out or if it was a oversight and is being worked on.

Word from the devs? Well thats pretty high-flying goal. I have heard some legends of Dwemer documents about devs giving a announcements but other than that I think its just a myth :open_mouth:
    Edited by Granite on April 6, 2014 5:00PM
  • coppersloane
    coppersloane
    ✭✭
    Hey, ZeniMax, 1991 called. They want their crappy key-binding back.
    Edited by coppersloane on April 7, 2014 10:01AM
    Raen Severus . Imperial . Rank 10 Vampire . Nightbow
    Adamus Regulus . Imperial . Craftsman
    GM of NACHT
  • coppersloane
    coppersloane
    ✭✭
    After spending the night with this game, I can safely say it's a huge step back in MMO gaming. I can also say I'm sorry I spent the last of my week's paycheck purchasing it, when I could have used it on a night out instead. The controls are subpar at best. After being excited with the rest of the game, realizing the utter inferiority of the key-binding completely deflated me. I'm going back to another game until they get their act together, and if they don't before my free month is up, I'm not renewing.

As an aside, the control scheme reminds me a lot of previous games that have catered to (inferior) console gaming, putting PC gamers second in line. Which is odd, considering the game was released on the PC first. You'd think you could just click on NPCs, for instance, to talk to them, which would free up a key to use with something else. Another example is the Approve function, or Cancel function. What the hell? Why does ZeniMax require button assignments for these simple commands that could be rectified with a simple mouse click? Very strange. It stinks of console controls to me. Inferior, clunky, gamepad controls for kiddies.

I don't buy the "they wanted to preserve the TES feel" angle either. That's such BS. TES was strictly a single-player experience until now. Online gaming calls for a certain control scheme. You either give players that PC MMO control freedom or you don't make online games for the PC. If I wanted a PS4 or XboxOne experience, I'd buy one of those machines, which I won't, because the controls blow.

Peace.
    Edited by coppersloane on April 7, 2014 10:15AM
    Raen Severus . Imperial . Rank 10 Vampire . Nightbow
    Adamus Regulus . Imperial . Craftsman
    GM of NACHT
  • Warrender
    Warrender
    Soul Shriven
    This is the number one complaint I have with the game. I would even rate it above game-breaking quest bugs right now. Please, please, please allow key modifiers to skill key bindings.
  • Georgism
    Georgism
    Soul Shriven
    Some of this feedback is ridiculous.
    After spending the night with this game, I can safely say it's a huge step back in MMO gaming. I can also say I'm sorry I spent the last of my week's paycheck purchasing it, when I could have used it on a night out instead. The controls are subpar at best. After being excited with the rest of the game, realizing the utter inferiority of the key-binding completely deflated me. I'm going back to another game until they get their act together, and if they don't before my free month is up, I'm not renewing.

As an aside, the control scheme reminds me a lot of previous games that have catered to (inferior) console gaming, putting PC gamers second in line. Which is odd, considering the game was released on the PC first. You'd think you could just click on NPCs, for instance, to talk to them, which would free up a key to use with something else. Another example is the Approve function, or Cancel function. What the hell? Why does ZeniMax require button assignments for these simple commands that could be rectified with a simple mouse click? Very strange. It stinks of console controls to me. Inferior, clunky, gamepad controls for kiddies.

I don't buy the "they wanted to preserve the TES feel" angle either. That's such BS. TES was strictly a single-player experience until now. Online gaming calls for a certain control scheme. You either give players that PC MMO control freedom or you don't make online games for the PC. If I wanted a PS4 or XboxOne experience, I'd buy one of those machines, which I won't, because the controls blow.

Peace.

Absolute rubbish, you are acting like a drama queen. I mean, seriously, the amount of adverbs in your vocabulary is to be applauded. On another note, what exactly were you expecting? Maintaining a vision of the game that you wanted to play, and considering it more important then the other experiences that team who created it were intending it to offer is nonsense. This game was released on multiple platforms, and as such it is reasonable that Zenimax would choose to make a few controversial game design choices. Not only because the game was being released on console platforms and PC, but also perhaps to provide some level of balance to the game. While it is frustrating play an MMO with such a restricted control scheme, perhaps some consumers should stop believing that game studios are required to cater towards what consumers are already familiar with. The ability to have freedom with keybinds, and to address some complaints, the ability to access a wider arrange of skills and spells is not a feature that is somehow necessary to enjoy or play an MMO.

That anyone would somehow ignore the fact that this studio has advertised they would be attempting to keep the original ESO feel that consumers experienced as preserved as possible, is insanity. Don't just disregard this because it is more convenient.

The community might go further in this debate if they addressed it on more reasonable grounds. Restricting the keybind functionality, and offering a solution by weapon swaps, creates a specific feel of balance to the game. By offering players to have access to a larger amount of keybinds, and also allowing more spell and skill keybinds, the game designers would have to account for a different level of balance in the game. Increasing the amount of skill combinations, therefore drastically changing the balance of every skill in relation to each other, would allow for a different kind of game play that perhaps some players were looking for. In specific, this would be more similar to other games in the genre that many players have experienced such as World of Warcaft, Rift, SWOTR, Guild Wars, and many many other games across many genres. Some players may have a more enjoyable time if they were more open minded towards new game experiences.
    Edited by Georgism on April 8, 2014 5:43AM
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Georgism wrote: »

Peace.

Absolute rubbish, you are acting like a drama queen. I mean, seriously, the amount of adverbs in your vocabulary is to be applauded. On another note, what exactly were you expecting? Maintaining a vision of the game that you wanted to play, and considering it more important then the other experiences that team who created it were intending it to offer is nonsense. This game was released on multiple platforms, and as such it is reasonable that Zenimax would choose to make a few controversial game design choices. Not only because the game was being released on console platforms and PC, but also perhaps to provide some level of balance to the game. While it is frustrating play an MMO with such a restricted control scheme, perhaps some consumers should stop believing that game studios are required to cater towards what consumers are already familiar with. The ability to have freedom with keybinds, and to address some complaints, the ability to access a wider arrange of skills and spells is not a feature that is somehow necessary to enjoy or play an MMO.

That anyone would somehow ignore the fact that this studio has advertised they would be attempting to keep the original ESO feel that consumers experienced as preserved as possible, is insanity. Don't just disregard this because it is more convenient.

The community might go further in this debate if they addressed it on more reasonable grounds. Restricting the keybind functionality, and offering a solution by weapon swaps, creates a specific feel of balance to the game. By offering players to have access to a larger amount of keybinds, and also allowing more spell and skill keybinds, the game designers would have to account for a different level of balance in the game. Increasing the amount of skill combinations, therefore drastically changing the balance of every skill in relation to each other, would allow for a different kind of game play that perhaps some players were looking for. In specific, this would be more similar to other games in the genre that many players have experienced such as World of Warcaft, Rift, SWOTR, Guild Wars, and many many other games across many genres. Some players may have a more enjoyable time if they were more open minded towards new game experiences.

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a balance affecting issue...by implementing this customization EVERYONE including console owners would be able to take advantage of it. If the developers purposely restricted this functionality on a game "you can do what you want" in then I feel it's a little silly to add any restriction purposely. I'm hoping this is an oversight and if enough people respectfully request this feature I feel it is a definite possibility.

Thanks to everyone for your input (assuming you're not one of the trolls) these conversations are where we build the groundwork for getting something done. If we persevere together I know we'll be heard.
  • Tarelyn
    Tarelyn
    yes pls. moar options is good thing.
  • Jayseric
    Jayseric
    terrabeck wrote: »
    Thete wrote: »
    It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,
    obviously there are more than 5 spells and some combine to make great combos,

Eh? You can only access the skills that you slot. How could having modified keybinds affect that?
    you could have 2 spells on each keybind. This way you essentially have 10 different spells.

Can you stop posting crap ?
  • Jayseric
    Jayseric
    Georgism wrote: »

Peace.

Haha, more keyinds = imbalance, this is like the funniest thing I ever heard, thank you :smiley:
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Current default key binds are much too limited. Will there be any enhancements to the key binds to allow combinations? Such as MB4+MB1, MB4+MB2, ctrl+MB1 to use my skills? I am inhibited by the clunky default 1,2,3,4,5 key bind system, I believe this should be possible to do since MB1+MB2 (interrupt) is a possible key bind. I enjoy this game very much, but would like it if there was more customization to use my skills. As a long time MMORPG player I have learned that the less you have to fumble around the better,I like combination key binds to limit mouse/keyboard hand movements and reduce the number of times I visually compromise my character to look at the keyboard to ensure I am hitting the correct skill key bind.

This question is so plainly, unextraordinarily, rational and reasonable...

... I'm not gonna lie. It's actually making me a little uncomfortable.... GO PLAY WOW!!

• mithrendiel
    mithrendiel
    ✭✭
    Thanks to the OP for making this post. I was going to create one myself at some point. As a long time healer in MMOs, I've found key binding my heals to mouse buttons and a combination of CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT + Mouse button to be the quickest and most efficient way to lay heals down on my party. I would very much appreciate the addition of combination key binds. :)
  • foxclaw
    foxclaw
    Soul Shriven
    Well, for myself, I was hoping I could use Modifiers - to have more 'functionality' with a gamepad - like making LB/L1 be ALT - so I don't have to have 5 buttons on the gamepad solely for each ability slot. If it makes any sense how I write it : P

Also, for those that say you could bind more abilities if you were able to use modifiers - you are misunderstanding something, you could still only bind buttons (or combinations) on up to 5 abilities at a time. You won't somehow get more ability-slots due to modifiers, so this would not affect gameplay for anyone else at all, or nor give anyone an advantage, in the least... it would just be more convenient for some people, as they tried to express, that they are just more familiar with using modifiers in their controls.
  • Vorpedagel
    Vorpedagel
    ✭✭✭
    Ughhh I would have liked to see a constructive conversation on this interesting thread but filtering through all the trolling and flaming was difficult. I don't think it will cause any cross platform imbalance. Combinations could be set up on both.
  • raraz
    raraz
    WyeVxndzz wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point that allowing modifier+keystroke in keybindings is an ACCESSIBILITY issue for people with limited motion or RSI injuries, or who simply have different set-up preferences than you do.
    Instead of each key on my keyboard mapped I like to use a small area and a modifying click; so say I only use 1-5 and WSAD but also shift(1-5) and shift(WSAD), and cmd(1-5) and cmd(WSAD) instead of [ ] ' ; \ - = etc etc etc.
    This is a very important issue not related to macros, skill spamming and "cheating" or using more spells than allowed, it's fundamental accessibility and should be addressed by the game makers.

This is what it is about.
    Thanks to the OP.
    Keep on keeping on
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Vorpedagel wrote: »
    Ughhh I would have liked to see a constructive conversation on this interesting thread but filtering through all the trolling and flaming was difficult. I don't think it will cause any cross platform imbalance. Combinations could be set up on both.

Hey Vorpe, it is unfortunate that this is the case for my thread. I have stated many times that people should refrain from judging one another and that was not the reason I made this post.

I do want to thank everyone else who participated with constructive posts. I have posted a /feedback in game with a URL to this thread. Maybe if more people Agree with my original post and throw a /feedback in game linking the URL we can catch the eye of someone that can assist us with this matter.

Thanks again to all and stay strong until we are heard, the game is fun enough to deal with this issue for me, but still have my fingers crossed for multiple key binds.
  • Skylara
    Skylara
    ✭✭✭
    This is just a suggestion, so don't get all up in arms, but I find the game to work perfectly (and so do my guildies) with a 6 button action-rpg mouse. I would not enjoy it as much if I was using the keyboard 1-6 commands, nor would I be as successful.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Skylara wrote: »
    This is just a suggestion, so don't get all up in arms, but I find the game to work perfectly (and so do my guildies) with a 6 button action-rpg mouse. I would not enjoy it as much if I was using the keyboard 1-6 commands, nor would I be as successful.

Hopefully no one takes offence to a legitimate suggestion, but I believe it does not resolve the root cause of this issue. There are certain people who may need the option due to injury which I had not even thought of until WyeVxndzz made his/her original contribution to the thread.

Certain people may NEED this functionality to enable them easier accessibility to their skills. I will be honest that I am just someone who would enjoy this feature implemented but feel this issue may be more important to others.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    It's in place for a good reason, its balance in a "classless" game.
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Eridian
    Eridian
    Soul Shriven
    I agree, it simply allows for more flexibility, and while I don't personally need it as I bind everything on my Razer Naga, I still think this issue has genuine merit.
  • Cozy
    Cozy
    I really can't believe how many so called "MMO players" and "Pro long term gamers" can't grasp what the OP is asking for, as for the "balance issues" and "unfair advantage" comments, wow...

Adding key bind modifiers is a basic QOL adjustment that should of been there from day 1, there is absolutely no reason to not have them.

Hopefully they will be implemented sooner rather than later.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Answer: I doubt it.
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    I use key combinations for my UI. Ctrl+F for friend list, Ctrl+G for guild, etc. Meanwhile, I'm using F for attack (I have issues with a lot of clicking and an easy keypress alternate is a must for me), and G to mount.

It's really a simple matter of utility, and I don't understand why anyone would argue against this.
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Fabiano
    Fabiano
    Thete wrote: »
    It would also allow people to have 10 spells or more on the hotbar at once. There is a reason you can only have 5 spells,
    obviously there are more than 5 spells and some combine to make great combos,

Eh? You can only access the skills that you slot. How could having modified keybinds affect that?
    you could have 2 spells on each keybind. This way you essentially have 10 different spells.

I don't think this is the right game for you.
  • Xenrae
    Xenrae
    ✭✭
    MisterToe wrote: »
    I bought a Logitech G600 to use with ESO. It has 12 macro keys under the thumb, I use the first 6. I know it's not an ideal solution & more customization would be better, but it's not a bad solution either.

So did I. It works perfectly. I never reach for the number keys. Left hand is movement, right hand is skills. Part of the challenge of the game is choosing between skills. Five is all you get. Make it work.
    Edited by Xenrae on April 13, 2014 4:27AM
  • byronsimrwb17_ESO
    I would support this, as not all of us are as privileged to still have all our fingers. some combinations i can link to my thumb buttons on my naga would be very useful. it wouldn't hurt people who don't want to use it right? so carry on the rest of you, and let us who are a bit physically challenged have this feature.
  • demendred
    demendred
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a problem with de-summoning my pets when I would hit 3(Clanfear being 5, twilight 4), so I moved em over to - and =. Never had that problem since.
    Edited by demendred on April 13, 2014 4:53AM
    All good Nords goto Sto'Vo'Kor.
  • ALIENWACKER
    I agree. In several other games I have played over the years with in-game chats I would use [shift] + [enter] to make sure I do not accidentally start typing in chat when I should be using abilities. Now that I cannot do that in this game I've died quite a few times because of that.

Also, having multiple keys for a spell allows me to not accidentally press something important like wasting my Ultimate or pressing a spell and wasting that resource. Like I said before, I mainly use it to safeguard if I happen to miss a key.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    SHIFT+Spacebar is my standard autorun in MMORPGs. As such, I have sprained 3 fingers and developed carpal tunnel because I can't learn any other way. My hand is now stuck with a perpetual hook and my fingers look like dead twigs on a twisted branch.

I couldn't play the violin before but now I NEVER will! :'(
  • Gohlar
    Gohlar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't believe people are arguing against key modifiers. This forum is the most ridiculous I've seen for any mmo.