Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will skill key bind's ever be enhanced to allow combination key binds?

• razor392_ESO
    From what I've read so far in this post is that people are throwing a fit about key customization when all that was asked was IF they were willing to/are planning on allowing customization. I understand the idea behind 1-5 with an ultimate. However, as a long time MMO player I like the ability to use everything I have at my disposal. Now this would give me pause for concern if the consoles were going to be cross platformed. So to limit it, while still keeping in tradition with TES, is still limiting to total playability and total usage of a character. Also for those that are still hellbent on keeping in this game in TES playstyle understand that as tech evolves so should the games. If any of you remember Arena then by rights every ES that came after has evolved more and more functions/player interface abilities. So for those Oblivion and Skyrim only players, you need to dig a bit deeper before you actually start spouting "TES feel".
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to double tap W and have it autowalk.
    [DC/NA]
  • Ironside
    Ironside
    ✭✭✭
    The skill key bind idea is the least of ZOS worries at this point. Just use the freaking keyboard and be happy.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Ironside wrote: »
    The skill key bind idea is the least of ZOS worries at this point. Just use the freaking keyboard and be happy.

Just because it's not their top priority doesn't mean it should be dropped off their radar completely. And I don't think I care for your tone mr. troll, if you don't have anything constructive to contribute then please don't bother posting on my thread at all.
  • DrPrice
    DrPrice
    or buy a better mouse?
    Everyone has a Price !
  • Atramicus
    Atramicus
    Potential noob question. Is it possible to create an add-on to create said key-binding combinations?
  • nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    nicholaspingasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Sanguine's Beta Tester

• grizzbi
    grizzbi
    ✭✭✭
    With the current system, including no cooldown, and the exploits available to cancel animation, I see this as a step in the wrong direction: people will quickly figure or just copy/paste from the forum macros which will use those broken mechanics to deal high amount of damage in a short time. This will result in very short fights, no abiltity to see/react to opponent actions since those actions won't be seen without their corresponding animation being displayed. But I suppose it's already too late: people will do it anyway...
  • Reggyecherieub17_ESO
    Reggyecherieub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The possibilities for this to benefit the game are vast. Think about it, q is your quick slot, if you added the ctrl+ function, which will become increasingly valuable as the game grows, it will greatly benefit the ESO community. you could possibly have 10 skills linked to your bar, I am not glorifying the crammed and jammed action bars of WoW, but 5 slots is NOTHING! and adding the ctrl+ wouldn't add slots, it would simply change the bar for a moment, PERFECTION! >:)
    Edited by Reggyecherieub17_ESO on April 25, 2014 1:31PM
  • Reggyecherieub17_ESO
    Reggyecherieub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    grizzbi wrote: »
    With the current system, including no cooldown, and the exploits available to cancel animation, I see this as a step in the wrong direction: people will quickly figure or just copy/paste from the forum macros which will use those broken mechanics to deal high amount of damage in a short time. This will result in very short fights, no abiltity to see/react to opponent actions since those actions won't be seen without their corresponding animation being displayed. But I suppose it's already too late: people will do it anyway...

That's the whole point, to enable such features, requires testing, and debugging, which I would expect them to do. Don/t just enable it for abuse, enable it and fix it so that it becomes what it is supposed to, a additional bar, not a macro spam for Epic win.

• chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    The possibilities for this to benefit the game are vast. Think about it, q is your quick slot, if you added the ctrl+ function, which will become increasingly valuable as the game grows, it will greatly benefit the ESO community. you could possibly have 10 skills linked to your bar, I am not glorifying the crammed and jammed action bars of WoW, but 5 slots is NOTHING! and adding the ctrl+ wouldn't add slots, it would simply change the bar for a moment, PERFECTION! >:)

Just to clarify, as the OP I was asking about the keybinding options, not increasing the number of abilities allowed at one time. Regardless there will only be 5 skills + ult at a time. If people are linking macros to weapon swap this won't change that, only increase the number of possibilities each individual player would have to activate said skills.
  • RasterEyes
    Razer Naga 2014
  • Fullenglish
    I think part of the problem here lies with the fact the the modifier buttons you want to use are already bound to essential in game functions Shift being Sprint and Ctrl being Crouch, this would then pose the problem of you client deciding which action you want to take i.e. you press Shift+MB1 this you have bound to Spell 1 in your hot bar, but you could also be wanting to melee whilst sprinting.

Essentially modifier keybinds other then MB1+MB2 for bash are difficult to include because most of the the majors key around WASD are already being used and pressing a combination of 2 of them would be asking your client to decide which you actually meant to do.

I completely understand what you are asking for and sympathise with your reasons why but given the lack of redundancy in the current keybind layout I cannot see it ever happening.
  • Cozy
    Cozy
    I think part of the problem here lies with the fact the the modifier buttons you want to use are already bound to essential in game functions Shift being Sprint and Ctrl being Crouch, this would then pose the problem of you client deciding which action you want to take i.e. you press Shift+MB1 this you have bound to Spell 1 in your hot bar, but you could also be wanting to melee whilst sprinting.

Essentially modifier keybinds other then MB1+MB2 for bash are difficult to include because most of the the majors key around WASD are already being used and pressing a combination of 2 of them would be asking your client to decide which you actually meant to do.

I completely understand what you are asking for and sympathise with your reasons why but given the lack of redundancy in the current keybind layout I cannot see it ever happening.

That's what rebinding is for...

It seems the majority of this games player base has never played any MMO's before, hell they act like they have never played on a PC before.

There is absolutely no reason to not include key bind modifiers, It won't allow you to you cast multiple skills, it won't allow you to have more skills than the standard and it won't allow you to do more than 1 thing at a time.

As for the "get a better mouse" crap, why even post? This has nothing to do with anybodies peripherals. This is a basic QOL change that you will get in any half assed game these days never mind a so called AAA multi-million dollar MMO.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Cozy wrote: »

That's what rebinding is for...

It seems the majority of this games player base has never played any MMO's before, hell they act like they have never played on a PC before.

There is absolutely no reason to not include key bind modifiers, It won't allow you to you cast multiple skills, it won't allow you to have more skills than the standard and it won't allow you to do more than 1 thing at a time.

As for the "get a better mouse" crap, why even post? This has nothing to do with anybodies peripherals. This is a basic QOL change that you will get in any half assed game these days never mind a so called AAA multi-million dollar MMO.

Totally agree, not to mention I never said I only wanted shift, or ctrl options. I prefer using mb4+mb1, mb4+mb2, etc. But the developers should open up ANY number of possibilities to be bound together to allow ANYONE to use what they want, even if that is opening their map with ctrl+m, then rebind their sneak to something else if it's an issue. And the fact that all these people are content with buying a new mouse as a solution shouldn't bother posting here. Just because you feel you have no need for this functionality don't pitch your damn mouse as a solution, because it's not.
  • trinta
    trinta
    ✭✭✭
    And the fact that all these people are content with buying a new mouse as a solution shouldn't bother posting here. Just because you feel you have no need for this functionality don't pitch your mouse as a solution, because it's not.

So true. I'm on a weird end of the spectrum, where I'm unable to use a controller at all (the grasping motion of holding a controller and pressing the buttons is very painful), and using a sidebutton mouse like a Naga is essentially the same motion. The more open-hand motions of a keyboard are much easier on me.

Amongst my alternate inputs, I have a SteelSeries Apex keyboard and an N52TE. They don't change the fact that I want Ctrl+F to be my friend list, and other UI shortcuts that I use for every MMO I play.
    Edited by trinta on April 26, 2014 5:12PM
    Every time someone swears, it gets replaced with three asterisks. There's only one three-letter swear word that I know of. I read that in the place of every set of three asterisks. It makes for some amusing sentences.
  • Hope0042
    Hope0042
    ✭✭✭
    Trouvo wrote: »
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

I disagree. I dont judge but i dont see any point why this would be needed.
    I have no problem with wasd and 7 buttons + mouse.

• chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Hope0042 wrote: »
    Trouvo wrote: »
    just practice...you shouldnt have to look at your keyboard to type, its the same principle

I don't need to look at my keyboard to type, but you cannot tell me you've NEVER hit the wrong key using 1,2,3,4,5 format. It's clunky and I expect more customization on a game that lets me "do whatever I want."

I disagree. I dont judge but i dont see any point why this would be needed.
    I have no problem with wasd and 7 buttons + mouse.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, I was just shocked that a game this new (especially a big name game like TES) didn't have this sort of bind customization and I was hoping I could at least get it on their radar. There are many people that would like to see this feature added and who knows, once they add it, you may find that you like it too (I remain optimistic that this will eventually be added).
  • Phantorang
    Phantorang
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are lots of gaming software out there that lets you keybind different stuff.
    Fimbulwinter Recruiting true Vikings | Campaigns score | EU PC
  • Morridune
    Morridune
    ✭✭
    why is this even an issue pve/pvp most of the time enemies die to normal or heavy attacks ( you know like in an elder scrolls game) skills are really just setting them up for the kill or landing that fatal blow- and as a lefty i find delete,end,pagedwn with 1,4 and 7 on numpad works really nice for skill slots
    Edited by Morridune on April 27, 2014 1:00PM
  • Foul_Corsair
    Foul_Corsair
    ✭✭✭
    Loligo wrote: »
    You could just create macros for your mouse buttons. Any mouse that has extra buttons to do what you want should support macros and provide some software for managing them.

I say no to macros. Macro programming offers the most benefit to botters and farmers. No game needs to add fuctionality to support those people.

Yes, I would agree that macros can be handy for honest players, I'll forego that convenience to make it harder for botters.

He doesn't want macro's (as in allowing a single key press to trigger multiple, differing, actions), he wants a key modifier . . .
    would ya mind if I fired me cannon through your porthole?
  • Brocklin
    Brocklin
    Soul Shriven
    Having the ability to setup keybinds like most of us are used to would be nice. Or you could do as I do, invest in a Razer Naga lol 12 button thumbpad does wonders. No need to ever look at the keyboard then :) At any rate, with the game in it's early infancy, I would expect to see this in the future. Keybinds are kind of a MMORPG gamers necessity.
  • eluskub17_ESO
    I agree that key modifier's are essential to the play of any mmo... anyone who disagrees obviously doesn't understand fluid movements and attacks while playing an mmo. The ability to add key modifiers and thus key-bind your attacks around your movement keys promotes better functionality and much faster reactions to other players in pvp. The fact that ESO does not allow this is a REAL turnoff for me.
  • chicnstu219ub17_ESO
    Please agree with my original post on page 1 if you'd like to see said keybind enhancements. Thanks to everyone thus far.
  • oystapog
    oystapog
    Soul Shriven
    Yes i can understand that people need to adapt but its for other things too like without a shift+1, Shift+2 ect i cant programme logitech wireless controllers (xbox shape) for my kids to play as i dont want them on my keyyboard with out this very very basic keybinding its nearly impossible to bind all the commands in to a controller
    also interrupt is MB1+ MB2 so there is a way to bind combinations it just seems to be a well guarded secret :P
  • myblackbox123
    myblackbox123
    ✭✭
    - NO because it breaks "immersion"
    - NO because 1-6 keys is all you need to beat the game
    - NO because this is not "WoW"
    - NO because it's too much work to recode the game
    - NO because ESO is the most highly versatile game every made (not)
    - NO because console players have limited keys and so should PC players even though we're not even playing together.
    - NO because there's ADDONs (which ESO should've hired to make their game playable)
    - NO because this isn't Burger King and you can't have it your way
    - NO because amputees playing with 1 arm and 3 fingers would be at a disadvantage
    - NO because the 2% of RPG nerds said NO.
    - NO because it would probably add more dupe commands and exploits
    - NO because the shift key would be bugged on release and require a 5 hr. maintenance during prime time which they wouldn't fix but disable it instead.
  • ArgonianAssassin
    ArgonianAssassin
    ✭✭✭✭
    And to those of you who are "masters" of using 1,2,3,4,5 system...my point is this...to use those keys and remove and stretch your fingers from "WASD" inhibits your characters move-ability. I prefer to use all my skills with the mouse and leave my fingers on "WASD" as long as possible.

Then you suck at mmos.

Do me a favor, extend your finger to the 5 button and tell me where your pinky and ring fingers are.

Er, shift and S? I can even stretch fro m1-8 without moving my pinky and ring finger off those 2 keys. Was that the point? Sorry just saw this post without any context.
    "It is okay to fear the night, even the bravest warriors are filled with fright, at the sight of the might of Sithis' fang, let the blood be washed away by the rain, let the stains forever remain, another life taken in Sithis' name, another soul for the void. All hail our Dread Father and his consort, the Night Mother." -Stalks-His-Prey
  • leovuoeb17_ESO
    I would like to use keybind modifiers very much. I remember GW2 did not have this in the beta but was implemented at launch or short after. Should not be a problem to fix, but what do I know. :)
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    I miss modifier keys when keybinding. I'm a SHIFT+ junkie and I have very touchy Cherry MX Red mechanical keys.

I hate the default keybinds for Ultimate and Syncronize (R and X respectively). I'm a good typist and a good gamer, but when I reach for the X key, I end up bumping C at times and opening the Character menu while in combat is not good. I've also had problems when using the R key to take all loot, it has activated my Ultimate outside of combat and wasted the ability. Rebinding both of these actions is an absolute must for me.

I've been able to create a work around by moving these keybinds to 6 and 7 and then created a profile for my mouse that allows me to create keystrokes for those keys on the extra G buttons my Logitech G700 provides, however, the profile swapping software seems to be unreliable with ESO, and I end up having to use the 6 and 7 keys directly instead.

I'd be much happier if I could make my Ultimate ability bound to SHIFT + R to solve this problem instead.
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    I would highly recommend the Naga to everyone that has the money for it. You have 12 keys on the side and with Practice that's all you need for the game. other than your movement keys. I purchased it after my G500 crapped out on me.