Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Server maintenance times

• Thelrok
    Thelrok
    ✭✭✭
    DarkoDon wrote: »
    Delekii wrote: »
    Sarenia wrote: »

I have, but you have no reason to believe me anyway. Rebutt the argument, not the point.

A guy a few posts back mentioned this, but I'll reiterate it; if it's a software/patch related issue, it should have been worked on on offline servers before live servers were touched.

Then you should know any suitably complex system _will_ behave in unexpected ways. It's an elementary fact of software development or server administration at any level.

Your 100 line script you put on GitHub may work flawlessly on 5 linux machines you tested it with, only to break on somebody's Gentoo install because they riced their compile settings.

I'm just offering perspective, because I have nothing to do myself while waiting for the server to come up. Don't shoot the messenger, just offering something a little more objective and useful than the usual "ARRR BAD ZOS IS BAD" posts here, based on my limited personal experience.

They aren't testing on their own machines and having it break on someone else's machines; they are within a fully enclosed system that they have total control over and have had throughout beta. If their test servers don't mirror their live servers in literally every way, then again, "mistakes were made".

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying they should bring up the servers right now - if there is such a problem, then it should certainly be fixed. Just don't be all happy happy lah lah about someone screwing up.

If there is a public company that I wish more companies would model themselves after in regards to all facets of server maintenance, its Grinding Gear Games (who run Path of Exile). It's not quite the same since it's an ARPG, but persistently online ARPGs share a lot of basic elements with MMOs. There if very little maintenance, which is usually announced well in advanced, and when it can't be, they document the process in great detail as it unravels. You know exactly what's going on, why the server is down, and how the recovery process is going. Not only is the server stability generally amazing, but any problems that do crop up lead to an unprecedented level of communication. All this from a game that is free to play.

This is what I want and expect from all persistent server online game developers. Stability, communicability, accountability. There has never been a time where there was a problem with PoE that I thought to myself "bloody GGG, they don't know what they are doing".

Don't really think anyone is happy bout the game being down. Just saying the thread does nothing to help.

To be fair, I made a thread complaining about a lack of an ETA, and they finally put in that they don't have an ETA. I felt pretty accomplished.
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, it has been fun. I am going to bed now. It is 0537 and wife is calling (cursing). Have fun when the game comes back up!
    Bacon and Skyrim....but mostly bacon....and a lawnmower
  • kearnstarb14_ESO
    Unmatched wrote: »
    Guys, it has been fun. I am going to bed now. It is 0537 and wife is calling (cursing). Have fun when the game comes back up!

<whipping noise>
    Token Drunk Aussie #1
  • sampaku
    sampaku
    ✭✭
    sampaku wrote: »
    Thelrok wrote: »
    Just curious, for the people who are clearly so frustrated about the server downtime and the fact it's out of beta,

What do you suggest if a gamebreaking bug is found after the beta? If beta is supposed to fix EVERYTHING, have you ever written up a proof for a program?

The people you are referring to, who are complaining excessively, have no concept of what is actually going on. They don't understand programming. They just aren't getting what they want and are, as a result, throwing a fit. Your logic has no power over them.

What you guys don't seem to understand is that this isn't some 20 year old neckbeard developing a java game. This is a multi-million dollar corporation with access to an entire developer team and then some. We're also paying them. They should be minimizing the amount of inconvenience to us and at least communicating with us better than "it's broken guys im sorry ok :("

I'd wager there are a few neckbeards working on the game. Let's be real about that.

Sure, the resources at Zenimax's disposal are numerous, but that doesn't mean when an unexpected problem comes up it can be instantaneously fixed. It just doesn't work that way, in my limited experience. I agree with your final point though. The communication with the TESO community could be improved. An estimated time frame would be lovely.

• XyriasThiddex
    ZOS_HugoP wrote: »
    Greetings folks !

We have an update about the current situation : North American MegaServer Maintenance - 4/2/14 @ 01:00am EDT
    The maintenance occurring on the North American megaserver is still in progress. As soon as we will be able to communicate an ETA for the end of this operation, stay assured we will come share this information with you. Thank you for your patience.

thats it? some update.....

• Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_HugoP‌ . We appreciate everyone's efforts.

You cant do that, you have to get mad at them and chastise them for things that are out of their control. CMON! Let me see your war face!
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Cerec
    Cerec
    ✭✭
    Greetings folks !
    We have an update about the current situation : North American MegaServer Maintenance - 4/2/14 @ 01:00am EDT
    The maintenance occurring on the North American megaserver is still in progress. As soon as we will be able to communicate an ETA for the end of this operation, stay assured we will come share this information with you. Thank you for your patience.

It took 4 hours to tell us that they will tell us when they have an ETA.

The whole point of an ETA is that it's an *ESTIMATED* time ...not definite. Just go and ask someone that KNOWS and get an "estimated" time....that's all we want. I think most people here would rather be told it's going to be 10 hours and it end up being shorter ..than just sitting here hoping that it's going to come back up within 1-2 hours.
  • Kiwi
    Kiwi
    ✭✭✭✭
    someone start a poll on how long the server roll back will be

1 hour
    2 hours
    3 hours

and how many pages of QQ there will be after the rollback

3 then closed for profanity
    Edited by Kiwi on April 2, 2014 9:40AM
    A large yellow rectangle

• jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Down with the Argonians and all forms of Khajiit scum!
  • kearnstarb14_ESO
    Greetings folks !

thats it? some update.....

needs moar sheep
    Token Drunk Aussie #1
  • Z0MBiEjaw
    Z0MBiEjaw
    ✭✭✭
    Like are you guys even trying to update us anymore? You literally just quoted the previous update that was a quote of the initial downtime. What the hell.
    Luminous beings, are we; not this crude matter.
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Cerec wrote: »
    Greetings folks !

lulz
    Edited by Skjlvald on April 2, 2014 9:39AM
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • korwinthale
    korwinthale
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just going to stay awake and go to work lol :D
    "Still, we have to keep trying and hoping. That's what's important--the trying and the hoping. Maybe that's most important of all."
  • Rukur
    Rukur
    ✭✭
    The ESO new guy accidentally server wiped everyone and they don't know what to do :)
  • Z0MBiEjaw
    Z0MBiEjaw
    ✭✭✭
    PLOT TWIST: This thread is actually the game.
    Luminous beings, are we; not this crude matter.
  • pad11
    pad11
    ✭✭✭
    Skjlvald wrote: »
    Chaleria wrote: »
    Btw, there was a new dev posting in this thread indicating that they would post an ETA when possible: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/509206.

I interpret this to mean that they currently have no clue how to fix whatever is the problem and either need more time to figure it out...or, need to wait on the person that DOES know how to fix it to wake up and come to work tomorrow.

It's pretty funny how they say the exact same thing every time they just change the words a little bit to make it seem different.

Actually, this is called "reassuring the customer." Depending on how large scale of a problem it is, it very well could take several hours to fix. Imagine being handed a 900 page book and told to find 4 lines with incorrect grammar in Part 2. After you correct those, you have to check all the other parts because any change you make in Part 2 could mess with the rest of the story.

Yeah but they have a team of people doing it, not just one guy in a dark room. Lol, or do they?

You cant do that, you have to get mad at them and chastise them for things that are out of their control. CMON! Let me see your war face!

Okay THAT is funny right there!!!!

• cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just going to stay awake and go to work lol :D

I'm going to do all of that minus the work.

• Thelrok
    Thelrok
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings folks !

lulz
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/64531/downtime-etas#latest

Coincidence? I think not.
  • sampaku
    sampaku
    ✭✭
    Thelrok wrote: »
    Just curious, for the people who are clearly so frustrated about the server downtime and the fact it's out of beta,

What do you suggest if a gamebreaking bug is found after the beta? If beta is supposed to fix EVERYTHING, have you ever written up a proof for a program?

The people you are referring to, who are complaining excessively, have no concept of what is actually going on. They don't understand programming. They just aren't getting what they want and are, as a result, throwing a fit. Your logic has no power over them.

:trollface:

Oh wait... not a troll... holy heck

You guys should march in the street with placard's against this unholy group of ungrateful unwashed!

I do not... know how to respond... Are you mocking me for my hate towards the "unholy group of ungrateful unwashed" that are those who complain excessively about server downtime? Please clarify. I r confuze.

I'm mocking you for making such a *** comment(s)
    " Your logic has no power over them."

Needs a /rolleyes emote

Ah very good. I picked up on the sarcasm via text then. Thanks for the clarification. I've got no problem being an *** towards those people. From my point of view the way they are acting is rather ***-ish.

• korwinthale
    korwinthale
    ✭✭✭
    Someone tripped over a power cord and they have yet to locate it :dizzy_face:
    "Still, we have to keep trying and hoping. That's what's important--the trying and the hoping. Maybe that's most important of all."
  • Selrach
    Selrach
    hit SHappens.
    keep-calm-and-hail-sithis-2.png
  • kearnstarb14_ESO
    Z0MBiEjaw wrote: »
    PLOT TWIST: This thread is actually the game.

I'd sub
    Token Drunk Aussie #1
  • AlexanderTheGreat
    AlexanderTheGreat
    ✭✭✭

No, you have to kiss their bottom and buy another two copies of the game while reciting, "ZENIMAX MY GRACIOUS OVERLORDS PLEASE GRANT ME LONGER MAINTENANCE TIMES."
  • HiveStar
    HiveStar
    I have to go to the airport in 3 hours. I won't even get to make a character until the weekend.

Such sad.
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C:\Users\zos_admin>cd server_files
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>fix_bugs.bat
    'fix_bugs.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>dir
    03/22/2014 01:22 <DIR> file_cache
    03/22/2014 01:22 362 autofix_bugs.bat
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>autofix_bugs.bat

Windows%20Server%202003%20Standard%20Edition-2009-03-20-14-27-19.png
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • pad11
    pad11
    ✭✭✭
    At least I'm earning forum badges...

• smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    jstans_ESO wrote: »
    Down with the Argonians and all forms of Khajiit scum!

I would join a guild with that name.
  • Delekii
    Delekii
    ✭✭

I have, but you have no reason to believe me anyway. Rebutt the argument, not the point.

A guy a few posts back mentioned this, but I'll reiterate it; if it's a software/patch related issue, it should have been worked on on offline servers before live servers were touched.

Then you should know any suitably complex system _will_ behave in unexpected ways.

They aren't testing on their own machines and having it break on someone else's machines

In english, this is called an analogy.

It's a means to explain a complex topic using simple terminology that anybody can understand.

For it to be called an analogy, it needs to be analogous.
  • Thelrok
    Thelrok
    ✭✭✭
    C:\Users\zos_admin>cd server_files
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>fix_bugs.bat
    'fix_bugs.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>dir
    03/22/2014 01:22 <DIR> file_cache
    03/22/2014 01:22 362 autofix_bugs.bat
    C:\Users\zos_admin\server_files>autofix_bugs.bat

Windows%20Server%202003%20Standard%20Edition-2009-03-20-14-27-19.png

Guys, I found the bug! They're using Windows to program.
    I program with windows actually

• Chaleria
    Chaleria
    ✭✭

No, you have to kiss their bottom and buy another two copies of the game while reciting, "ZENIMAX MY GRACIOUS OVERLORDS PLEASE GRANT ME LONGER MAINTENANCE TIMES."

Ha! They're giving us better updates than the company I work for gives my on their system maintenance, so this is like being pampered. B)