Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Server maintenance times

• AlexanderTheGreat
    AlexanderTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    sampaku wrote: »
    Thelrok wrote: »
    Just curious, for the people who are clearly so frustrated about the server downtime and the fact it's out of beta,

What do you suggest if a gamebreaking bug is found after the beta? If beta is supposed to fix EVERYTHING, have you ever written up a proof for a program?

The people you are referring to, who are complaining excessively, have no concept of what is actually going on. They don't understand programming. They just aren't getting what they want and are, as a result, throwing a fit. Your logic has no power over them.

What you guys don't seem to understand is that this isn't some 20 year old neckbeard developing a java game. This is a multi-million dollar corporation with access to an entire developer team and then some. We're also paying them. They should be minimizing the amount of inconvenience to us and at least communicating with us better than "it's broken guys im sorry ok :("
  • enfp
    enfp
    ✭✭
    I used to enjoy playing ESO, then I took an arrow to the knee

I used to enjoy playing eso, then they took a downtime on the mega server.
  • ulgrenn
    ulgrenn
    So what exactly is causing the issues with the live server atm has anyone said anything on the cause of the matter or did the server have a aneurysm and blow up?

Doesn't matter anyways for me just curious on the cause.
    ULGRENN
  • evilhomer504b14_ESO
    HiveStar wrote: »
    You travel EAST.

Your party comes across a forboding wizard's tower to the EAST, bordering a dark and tangled forest to the NORTH. You think you see a path through the forest, but it looks pretty overgrown.

On the ground you notice a Shiny Emerald Amulet with a smiling face etched onto it's surface. The nearby Sheep looks coyly away.

Please input an action: _

*kill the sheep, only to find more sheep ahead. Spend the next 30 minutes forgetting your original purpose and killing sheep*
    The guy who grabbed the name Razum-dar first
  • KaizerXul
    KaizerXul
    ✭✭✭
    KaizerXul wrote: »
    You travel EAST.

Your party comes across a forboding wizard's tower to the EAST, bordering a dark and tangled forest to the NORTH. You think you see a path through the forest, but it looks pretty overgrown.

On the ground you notice a Shiny Emerald Amulet with a smiling face etched onto it's surface. The nearby Sheep looks coyly away.

REPAIR SERVER_

Unknown command. Please try again.

*** SHEEP_
    "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now *I* am the master."
  • Unmatched
    Unmatched
    ✭✭✭
    ulgrenn wrote: »
    So what exactly is causing the issues with the live server atm has anyone said anything on the cause of the matter or did the server have a aneurysm and blow up?

Livestock problems.
    Bacon and Skyrim....but mostly bacon....and a lawnmower
  • pad11
    pad11
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta say this thread has really helped the 'burn' from getting up at 3:45 in the morning to play before I get the kids ready for school and get my run in! love it! down time be damned, this is a blast!
  • kearnstarb14_ESO
    Thelrok wrote: »
    Just curious, for the people who are clearly so frustrated about the server downtime and the fact it's out of beta,

What do you suggest if a gamebreaking bug is found after the beta? If beta is supposed to fix EVERYTHING, have you ever written up a proof for a program?

The people you are referring to, who are complaining excessively, have no concept of what is actually going on. They don't understand programming. They just aren't getting what they want and are, as a result, throwing a fit. Your logic has no power over them.

:trollface:

Oh wait... not a troll... holy heck

You guys should march in the street with placard's against this unholy group of ungrateful unwashed!

I do not... know how to respond... Are you mocking me for my hate towards the "unholy group of ungrateful unwashed" that are those who complain excessively about server downtime? Please clarify. I r confuze.

I'm mocking you for making such a *** comment(s)
    " Your logic has no power over them."

Needs a /rolleyes emote

Token Drunk Aussie #1
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭

I think it was a terrorist attack

• FTWhitledge
    Speaking of Argonians, don't bother trying to create it because I already have two Argonian Templars named Arrow-To-Knee and Arrow-In-Knee
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    enfp wrote: »

I used to enjoy playing eso, then they took a downtime on the mega server.

LOL
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Chaleria
    Chaleria
    ✭✭
    Cerec wrote: »
    Btw, there was a new dev posting in this thread indicating that they would post an ETA when possible: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/509206.

I interpret this to mean that they currently have no clue how to fix whatever is the problem and either need more time to figure it out...or, need to wait on the person that DOES know how to fix it to wake up and come to work tomorrow.

It's pretty funny how they say the exact same thing every time they just change the words a little bit to make it seem different.

Actually, this is called "reassuring the customer." Depending on how large scale of a problem it is, it very well could take several hours to fix. Imagine being handed a 900 page book and told to find 4 lines with incorrect grammar in Part 2. After you correct those, you have to check all the other parts because any change you make in Part 2 could mess with the rest of the story.
  • DarkoDon
    DarkoDon
    ✭✭
    Delekii wrote: »
    Sarenia wrote: »
    Delekii wrote: »

I have, but you have no reason to believe me anyway. Rebutt the argument, not the point.

A guy a few posts back mentioned this, but I'll reiterate it; if it's a software/patch related issue, it should have been worked on on offline servers before live servers were touched.

Then you should know any suitably complex system _will_ behave in unexpected ways. It's an elementary fact of software development or server administration at any level.

Your 100 line script you put on GitHub may work flawlessly on 5 linux machines you tested it with, only to break on somebody's Gentoo install because they riced their compile settings.

I'm just offering perspective, because I have nothing to do myself while waiting for the server to come up. Don't shoot the messenger, just offering something a little more objective and useful than the usual "ARRR BAD ZOS IS BAD" posts here, based on my limited personal experience.

They aren't testing on their own machines and having it break on someone else's machines; they are within a fully enclosed system that they have total control over and have had throughout beta. If their test servers don't mirror their live servers in literally every way, then again, "mistakes were made".

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying they should bring up the servers right now - if there is such a problem, then it should certainly be fixed. Just don't be all happy happy lah lah about someone screwing up.

If there is a public company that I wish more companies would model themselves after in regards to all facets of server maintenance, its Grinding Gear Games (who run Path of Exile). It's not quite the same since it's an ARPG, but persistently online ARPGs share a lot of basic elements with MMOs. There if very little maintenance, which is usually announced well in advanced, and when it can't be, they document the process in great detail as it unravels. You know exactly what's going on, why the server is down, and how the recovery process is going. Not only is the server stability generally amazing, but any problems that do crop up lead to an unprecedented level of communication. All this from a game that is free to play.

This is what I want and expect from all persistent server online game developers. Stability, communicability, accountability. There has never been a time where there was a problem with PoE that I thought to myself "bloody GGG, they don't know what they are doing".

Don't really think anyone is happy bout the game being down. Just saying the thread does nothing to help.

• jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I blame the Argonians for this! DEATH TO ALL ARGONIANS!
  • Rukur
    Rukur
    ✭✭
    Theres an update from eso says the same thing as before
  • evilhomer504b14_ESO
    the servers are out of phase imo
    The guy who grabbed the name Razum-dar first
  • HiveStar
    HiveStar
    You travel EAST.

REPAIR SERVER_

*** SHEEP_

Do you wish to use your Rings of Mara on SHEEP?
  • ulgrenn
    ulgrenn
    Unmatched wrote: »
    So what exactly is causing the issues with the live server atm has anyone said anything on the cause
    of the matter or did the server have a aneurysm and blow up?

Livestock problems.

Gotta Love the Trolls i was being serious on the question not trying to get a funnie response.
    ULGRENN
  • SpasticSpringbok
    ugh its been what? 4 hours since it went down...watched a movie made dinner, still waiting..
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    Chaleria wrote: »
    Btw, there was a new dev posting in this thread indicating that they would post an ETA when possible: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/509206.

I interpret this to mean that they currently have no clue how to fix whatever is the problem and either need more time to figure it out...or, need to wait on the person that DOES know how to fix it to wake up and come to work tomorrow.

It's pretty funny how they say the exact same thing every time they just change the words a little bit to make it seem different.

Actually, this is called "reassuring the customer." Depending on how large scale of a problem it is, it very well could take several hours to fix. Imagine being handed a 900 page book and told to find 4 lines with incorrect grammar in Part 2. After you correct those, you have to check all the other parts because any change you make in Part 2 could mess with the rest of the story.

Yeah but they have a team of people doing it, not just one guy in a dark room. Lol, or do they?
    Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • AlexanderTheGreat
    AlexanderTheGreat
    ✭✭✭

Actually, that's why object-oriented-programming was developed.
  • ZOS_HugoP
    ZOS_HugoP
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings folks !

We have an update about the current situation : North American MegaServer Maintenance - 4/2/14 @ 01:00am EDT
    The maintenance occurring on the North American megaserver is still in progress. As soon as we will be able to communicate an ETA for the end of this operation, stay assured we will come share this information with you. Thank you for your patience.

The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Z0MBiEjaw
    Z0MBiEjaw
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_HugoP wrote: »
    Greetings folks !

We have an update about the current situation : North American MegaServer Maintenance - 4/2/14 @ 01:00am EDT
    The maintenance occurring on the North American megaserver is still in progress. As soon as we will be able to communicate an ETA for the end of this operation, stay assured we will come share this information with you. Thank you for your patience.
    WORST UPDATE NA GO HOME
    Edited by Z0MBiEjaw on April 2, 2014 9:37AM
    Luminous beings, are we; not this crude matter.
  • cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You travel EAST.

REPAIR SERVER_

*** SHEEP_

Do you wish to use your Rings of Mara on SHEEP?

You don't?
  • joshweps
    joshweps
    ✭✭✭
    wrote: »

uh same update as 2 hours ago?
  • Selrach
    Selrach

Let me guess.. someone stole your sweetroll?
  • jstans_ESO
    jstans_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The Argonians must bow before the Imperial master race!
  • Medgirlpts_ESO
    Medgirlpts_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_HugoP‌ . We appreciate everyone's efforts.
    Ceridai <3 Healing Mage <3
    --The Downtime Defenders --
    - Aldmeri Dominion -
  • Chaleria
    Chaleria
    ✭✭
    Skjlvald wrote: »

Yeah but they have a team of people doing it, not just one guy in a dark room. Lol, or do they?

True, but they have a lot more damn code than a 900 page book...
  • AlexanderTheGreat
    AlexanderTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_HugoP wrote: »
    Greetings folks !

LOL!!!!!!!!!! APRIL FOOLS!